X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2016] Super Lovers Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    スーパーラヴァーズ

A BL show about two boys who become quite close to each other as one of them gets adopted into the family to become brothers.

Airs: Wednesday, April 6

Studio: Deen

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

While spending summer with his mother, Haru meets Ren, a boy newly adopted by his mother. Getting along with Ren isn't easy as Haru's goal is to "civilize" him by the time summer ends. Their relationship slowly improves as Haru spends more time with Ren and in return Ren steadily warms up to him. Can they really become a "family" at the end of summer?!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Main, Ascendance of a Bookworm
    Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

He's on top of the world.

That was a great way to start things off here establishing the bromance between Haru and Ren. They met in the Canadian Rockies one summer and Ren was adopted into the family by Haruko. Initially, Ren was a brat and a jerk, but thanks to Haru's kindness he opens up that they became inseparable until Haru had to return to Japan. That was pretty funny how it happened, but more importantly it laid a nice foundation for the story. And then the ending there is pretty ominous. Anyway, I didn't think I would enjoy this show given that I'm not part of the target audience, but it certainly has made a great first impression.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Well I'm definitely curious to see where this is going now. It's apparently a really great manga, so hopefully at least some of that can translate to its anime adaptation.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

A promise is a promise, even if he has no memory of it.

Five years have passed and what happened is that Haru was involved in an accident that knocked him out for a month and he lost a lot of memories of the time he spent with Ren in Canada. He now is living along and working as a host to help pay college tuition for his brothers that includes Ren, and in comes Ren to fulfill the promise he made. But Aki isn't so accepting of Ren as a brother. Haru's family situation sure is complicated made only worse by that accident. Anyway, that was pretty amusing to think that living in Tokyo is just like living in the Canadian Rockies. So far, this has been a pretty enjoyable show despite not being my cup of tea. I'll give it an episode or two before making a decision.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

So Haru goes by "Natsu" as a host, and one of his brothers is Aki. Then who's Fuyu? You can't just stop there.

Ah, well that tragedy was revealed as suddenly at the beginning of this episode as it was teased at the end of the first. A little weird that that very important connecting piece was the only part not actually shown, but I guess the idea is to focus on the emotion in the peaceful times before and after, rather than the chaos during.

Not much going on despite that big event, so we'll see where it wants to take things from here.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

They need each other more than they realize.

The hardships continue as Haru has a falling out there that almost resulted in something really terrible happening to Ren by Haru's coworker at the host club, all while memories of that accident surface after he sees one happening on the street. Haru should have known better than to leave Ren by himself for an extended period of time all going to show just how immature he is. Ren sees himself as being a burden, so he goes back to Canada, but Haru comes by later to let him know that just how much they value being with each other. Lots of stuff went on here, but in the end Haru and Ren realized that they need each other and that they both have problems that need to be fixed.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

I imagine Haru will continue to remember more as time goes on, especially the tragedies, and have to work through them without filling his present with more conflict. Clearly Ren can't escape, so the implications are that the two will begin to accept each other more and grow closer. I wonder if the rest of the series will take place in Canada. Always super weird when there's something like that in anime.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

Four brothers under one roof.

Ren has graduated from school after just six months in Japan, and now that he's finished with school Haru and his brothers have moved into a house to live together. But even though Haru's dream came true, he has some insecurities about this whole arrangement with the biggest issue being that Ren wants to get a job, but he isn't exactly ready for one. So Ren goes to his old landlord to pay a visit, and he breaks his leg that lands him in the hospital. Ren is entrusted with looking after the tanuki under the house, which happens to be a Pomeranian dog. That was very nice to see Ren taking up responsibility, but he still is a kid that needs to grow up.

So with that, the trial period for this show is over, and I'm leaning towards keeping this, but I'll wait until I finish up the trial periods of the other shows before making it official.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Man, things jump around a lot in this show. Just like that, they've been back in Japan for half a year, Ren is graduating, and all four brothers have moved to a nice, new, big apartment together, even finding a dog to join the family. Who knows how much time will pass by the end of it?
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

Romance tastes like strawberries.

It's a new school year, and this is Ren's first ever spring in Japan, so it's no wonder he doesn't realize that cherry blossoms don't stay in bloom for long. But things aren't so rosy for him as he's been sheltered and refusing to talk to others. But in the end Haru reached out to him, all while he has gotten a new friend in Juuzen, who is also an out-of-towner himself. The boys are thinking about opening a cafe with ingredients supplied from the farm Ikuyoshi's parents runs. Those boys sure know how to make a big deal out of something like this, but in the end Ren is starting to find his way.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

That was tamer than I expected from the preview.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 6

Just grow up, already.

Here comes the future owner of the White Fang cafe, Kiyoka, who Haru knows from high school, and she's not too pleased with the way things have become for him, especially with his incestuous relationship with Ren, someone she never knew about. Of course, because he isn't related by blood that it's no wonder. Then Haru goes on getting all boozed up and doing stuff that's quite inappropriate for kids towards Ren and gets bitten for it. Haru's immaturity continues to be problematic, but he certainly has the right people around him to someday help him grow up. And Kiyoka sure is manly that it's no wonder Aki and Shima question his tastes in women. Next time, the cafe opens.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

Similarly tamer than I expected from an episode that requires you to be 18+. It is basically sexual assault, so it's a lot more fucked up than anything we've seen so far, but it's really hardly anything that happens. BL seems to have some weird double-standard. A show of any other genre could get away with way more without being treated as anything out of the ordinary. Seems like they may be getting into something more serious next time, but that could just be another misleading preview.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 7

There's a dog in him.

So the cafe gets its name from the book written by Jack London that Ren used to read a lot when he was living in Canada, which is a story about a wolf who is a quarter dog. Ren is hard at work, but he's struggling with his modern Japanese homework, and Haru isn't exactly helping matters. As if things weren't bad enough, Haru is too busy with the cafe, Ren comes down with a fever, and there's no nurse on duty. But everything can be solved by having a serious talk with Haru, and things are all well again. And about Kiyoka, it's no wonder that person smelled like a guy because that's really a guy. Very nice to see everybody getting so close even if things aren't always progressing in the smoothest of ways.

Comment

Re: Episode 7

I remember that book. Good stuff. Kiri is definitely my favorite character. Her analysis of Ren is spot-on. And she's presumably an actual female, which there are apparently even less of than was thought. Not surprising given the genre, but it's just funny that even the girls aren't actually girls. Other than her, though, I'm not finding much to love in this.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...