X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2016] Twin Star Exorcists Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    双星の陰陽師

A show about a guy and a girl from exorcist families who are fated to marry, but the guy would rather do anything but be an exorcist.

Airs: Wednesday, April 6

Studio: Pierrot

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Rokuro is from a family of exorcists, but he'd rather be a singer, a soccer player or anything but an exorcist! He's forced to own up to his own incredible potential when new arrival Benio stirs his competitive spirit. But their rivalry gets a twist when they earn the prestigious title of "Twin Star Exorcists"—two supreme fighters fated to marry and birth the ultimate spiritual warrior!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Galaxy Angel, Inou Battle
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

They were fated to meet.

This feels just like Kekkaishi with Rokuro wanting to do stuff other than exorcism, but having just met a girl from another exorcist family that he's thrown into action seeing that while Benio is strong, she couldn't handle that big monster by herself in the state she was in. That was some great action there to begin this show, though it didn't exactly do much in the way of setting things up. Anyway, I hope that changes with the next episode seeing that it was mostly action without really setting things up seeing that how the relationship between Rokuro and Benio is developed will be critical.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Doesn't look to be the strongest material to work with in general, but certainly not Pierrot's A-team, either. It looks to be a watchable shounen series for now, so I'll hope it goes in the right direction from here. It won't take much to drop it.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This show has potential. It's still early days to see where they take it, though. Worth sticking around for a bit.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

Can't escape destiny.

Rokuro wanted nothing to do with being an exorcist seeing that his parents and friends were killed on an assignment two years ago, but with Benio having moved into the dorms and the chief exorcist Arima having arrived to make those two fight each other that everybody wants Rokuro to get back to doing what he is so good at doing again. And then, they become destined to marry each other even though neither person is thrilled about it. That's a nicely done fight there all going to show that as much as Rokuro wants to deny it, being an exorcist is something he's passionate about, but the scars of his past are what's preventing him from realizing it. It will be interesting to see how this romance pans out seeing that neither person is thrilled about it.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Okay, everything is going in exactly the opposite of the right direction. Certainly still better than anything I've known I was done with after a single episode, but with the way it's heading I'm not sticking around.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
              Okay, everything is going in exactly the opposite of the right direction. Certainly still better than anything I've known I was done with after a single episode, but with the way it's heading I'm not sticking around.
              I'll be sticking around...even with the addition of a mascot character not found in the manga. The "these two have to marry" trope is something we've seen before, but here we have a compelling reason, not something like saving the family dojo. Benio is a really good character, and having been intrigued by the anime to check out the manga, I'm even more anticipating this show...although I'm a bit worried that the mascot's going to take away from Benio.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

I'm enjoying this a lot. Rokuro is definitely getting the better of this deal considering that Benio is a cutie-pie and he's a shark-toothed horrorshow, physically. I hope the Miko has normal teeth. Such a classic set-up: "I hate you!" "Yeah, well I hate you!" "Oh, by the way, you two are going to have to marry and pump out a kid." Love it! I loved Benio's facial expression when she said the visit to The Other World would be a "friendly" competition.

Comment

Episode 3

She rules school.

Benio begins life at school in Rokuro's class and she's already making a strong impression with the other boys. And then a strong Kegare attacks with Benio needed to exorcise it. While that's happening, Rokuro and Mayura go to the amusement park, which happens to be where the Kegare is in the other dimension, and Rokuro saves a couple of boys there. Pretty much, this episode introduces Mayura while Benio gets used to school life, but then there is that part about Rokuro being a survivor of the Hinatsuki incident, and that adds a lot of intrigue there seeing that it probably is what led to him wanting to stay away from the exorcist business in the first place.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode before deciding on this show as it's on the borderline at the moment.

Comment

Episode 4

He's not losing any more family.

This episode focuses on Ryogo, who Rokuro sees as his brother after handing him a servant talisman. The situation once again requires him to go to the scene as Ryogo is having trouble with the exorcism. So Rokuro and Benio come to the scene and save the day just as Ryogo runs out of talismans. That was some nice focus on Ryogo, and certainly it's a good thing that the other characters are getting some focus and not just Rokuro and Benio. Pretty soon, I would like to see what Rokuro's backstory is about what exactly happened that led him to want to quit the profession.

And so, the trial period for this show is over, and I'm not quite ready to say whether this show stays or goes at the moment, but I should have a decision made before next week.

Comment

Episode 5

He's one of the elite.

This episode introduces the first of the 12 Guardians in Shimon, also known by his guardian name of Suzuka. Rokuro and Benio, and a couple of other exorcists go to an elementary school to exorcise a bunch of gorilla demons to save some kids, and in comes Shimon stealing the scene, all while his attitude rubs Rokuro the wrong way. He was called back to Kyoto for an emergency, which turned out to be nothing more than Arima wanting him to buy a swimsuit photo book of his favorite idol. That was some nice action there, but it feels like it is just introducing characters and not exactly connecting everything.

Anyway, this show has been given an extended trial as I was convinced enough to keep going on for now. I have one more episode before making a decision on this show.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                        He's one of the elite.

This episode introduces the first of the 12 Guardians in Shimon, also known by his guardian name of Suzuka. Rokuro and Benio, and a couple of other exorcists go to an elementary school to exorcise a bunch of gorilla demons to save some kids, and in comes Shimon stealing the scene, all while his attitude rubs Rokuro the wrong way. He was called back to Kyoto for an emergency, which turned out to be nothing more than Arima wanting him to buy a swimsuit photo book of his favorite idol. That was some nice action there, but it feels like it is just introducing characters and not exactly connecting everything.

Anyway, this show has been given an extended trial as I was convinced enough to keep going on for now. I have one more episode before making a decision on this show.
                        Weakest episode so far, perhaps because it's the one least connected to the manga. This is an out of order character intro, with Shimon not being properly introduced to the MCs until volume 20 of the manga. So we've had deviations from the manga: The idiotic, annoying mascot and now this early appearance, presumably as pure shonen bait. Hopefully there won't be anything more, but I'm not holding my breath. Getting back to the main manga storyline should improve matters...greatly.

Comment

Episode 6

She's into exorcism, too.

This episode is all about Benio and Mayura becoming close friends, and seeing that Mayura is Rokuro's childhood friend that there isn't the need for Benio to hide her identity as an exorcist from her seeing that she was born into a family of exorcists herself. But she is definitely worried about Benio disappearing the way she does, and that leads to some nice moments, especially seeing the two of them going out for ohagi. Having heard that the manga introduces things so suddenly with the anime taking the time to build things up that I can see why the anime is taking so many liberties, though that doesn't explain the need to introduce that useless mascot. Anyway, it looks like something big is about to happen in the coming episodes after what Mayura's grandfather said there at the end.

So with that, the extended trial period is over, and only two of three between this, Bungo Stray Dogs, and Anne Happy are going to be kept.

Comment

Episode 7

Like it or not, they're in this together.

Rokuro and Benio have a special training assignment, and for that Arima has those two go to a resort that was built specifically for them to eventually become a couple. And their first assignment is to work together in getting a room that had been transformed back to normal. It wasn't easy, but they managed to get through to the end with Rokuro answering the question correctly. Not to mention, they needed to rush back with a Kegare on the attack and Benio lost her hairpiece that her twin brother gave to him just before he died. That was one of the better episodes so far seeing that it isn't just some random exorcism, and that the relationship is starting to build. Pretty silly episode this was, but nonetheless it's the start of what figures to be something big.

So with that, I decided that I'll at least watch this show to the end of the spring season and decide from there if I want to continue watching this or not. This is something that figures to get better seeing that it's 50 episodes long and it's still in the introductory stage of things.

Comment

Episode 8

Guilty as charged.

It took long enough, but nevertheless the truth is out about why exorcism brings bad memories for Rokuro as there is the Hinatsuki tragedy. It was said that there was a massive Kegare attack that everybody but Rokuro, but in truth it was Rokuro himself that killed everybody, which includes Benio's brother. Mayura is telling Rokuro to give it up, and her father Seigen is letting him know just how half-hearted his return to exorcism is. That was quite a big reveal, and it remains to be seen what exactly caused Rokuro to go berserk like that seeing that something else was at work to cause all this.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X