X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2016] High School Fleet (Haifuri) Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ハイスクール・フリート

A show about girls enrolled at a maritime school to protect the remaining coastal towns in a time where most of the world is underwater. As coastal cities started popping up, so did the demand for maritime officers as there are quite a lot of them.

Airs: Saturday, April 9

Studio: Production IMS

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Living by the sea, protecting the sea, and journeying across the sea... They're the Blue Mermaids! Because of a shift in tectonic plates around 100 years ago, Japan lost much of its area to submergence. To preserve Japan's territories, coastal cities sprung up, one after the other. Eventually, they became marine cities, and along with the expansion of sea-lanes to connect them, the need arose for a sizable staff to protect the seas. At the same time, maritime jobs were becoming more popular among women. Hence, the Blue Mermaids, tasked with keeping the seas safe, had become every female student's dream job. This is when childhood friends Akeno Misaki and Moeka China enroll in a marine high school in Yokosuka, along with other girls who share their goal of becoming a Blue Mermaid.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 04-30-2016, 06:48 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nene Yoshiro, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
    Watching: Luck & Logic, Soul Link, Happiness, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

As a captain, she totally bombed it.

It begins with Mike going to school for training Blue Mermaids to fulfill her dreams, and even though she doesn't have the grades, she does have the mentality to be a captain, which is why the instructor picked her. On her maiden voyage, the ship gets attacked by the instructor's, and against her better judgment she fires back leading to a rebellion on the Harekaze. This show feels just like Girls und Panzer with cute girls doing manly things, and seeing that Reiko Yoshida wrote the script for both shows it's no wonder why that vibe is present. Anyway, some big time trouble is coming seeing that she that Mike lost her cool there, and it will be interesting to see what comes next now that there's trouble coming. So far, it's off to a solid start and it figures to be a good show, but I'll see if it is the case or not in the next few episodes before making a decision.
    Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Yeah, with the huge cast of cute, quirky girls manning the ship, can't help but get a "Girls und Panzer with warships" vibe with this one. Not surprising to see the combination given how successful these kind of properties have been in Japan. I'm not really too big on them even if I've found some things to enjoy in some of them. However, the serious situation at the end continuing to escalate has me rather intrigued about where they're going.

Comment

I didn't see anything about why Mike was picked as captain, and I thought she did a great job given the circumstances.

I disagree about her losing her cool. As near as I could tell, she did about everything she could to avoid a confrontation. When she finally did respond, it was with minimal force with the intention to escape, not sink the ship firing at them. I don't think there much else she could have done that she didn't.

When Mike asked her instructor why, given her less than top level grades, she had been picked as captain, her instructor basically told her to suck it up and do the job. With that and the subsequent attack, I have to wonder if there is a bigger game afoot, and Mike is being set up as a patsy for some reason. That would be fine as I like more complicated plots.

I wonder if they will ever explain why they need capital Naval ships to "protect the sea"...

All in all though, this looks a fun series that will be keeper for me. I mean cute girls going around in Navy ships blowing the sh*t out of stuff (while not losing their cuteness of course). What could be better than that? :D
        Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

I don't get the appeal of cute girls doing military things, but clearly enough people do. Easily a skip for me.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

This was weird. I didn't expect such a development so quickly. It would be pretty cool though if they go into full blown war mode. Cute girls seriously battling it out at sea. Could be good I think. The comedy was pretty boring overall. Although I'm a bit curious to see where they go with that development in the end. Mike's ship attacked a sensei who just reported to HQ. This sure doesn't look like she's mad because they were late for class. Or maybe that's how teachers deal with late comers in this world.
            My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Episode 2

They won't go up in smoke.

It turns out that the mutiny is just something the instructors thought would happen after Mike made such a boneheaded decision knowing that it was the instructors ship that they were up against. But there's no time to reflect as they are under fire with a German warship out for blood. This time, Mike got it right by using the smoke caused by damage to the ship to their advantage, while using live ammo to hinder the enemy's movement so that they can get away. And in comes another crisis with a distress signal coming from the Musashi.

That was such a tense episode there, and given that there's more trouble ahead that I am having a hard time trying to figure out what this show is going to be about. I was thinking it would go the Girls und Panzer route where the girls are training and finding a way to get better and then putting their skills to the test, but it feels like it's going the Infinite Ryvius route where the Harekaze is on the run with the students trying to navigate through trecherous waters to get back home again.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I can't shake the feeling that the distress call from the Musashi is a trap. I wonder if all this is because they are the lowest scoring girls in the class and therefore should be punished/hazed/etc.?
                Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Interesting stuff here.

The story told about Japan here was that some shit happened and now there are a lot of ship islands. The military ships are given for civilian use and are manned by females because they supposedly won't use the ships to fight.

And this is where the present problem with the Harukaze comes in. I think someone is trying to defame the Blue Mermaids. Their taking out the newcomers first and then will go up. They used the instructor's ship to start all this by forcing the Harukaze to return fire. Then they used the German ship to do the same. The Harukaze has officially mutinied and it will take quite some convincing to clear their name. The story with Mako is probably also the same. Mako's ship is the biggest one if I remember correctly, her crew is probably cornered or she doesn't want to retaliate. This is most likely not a training session or anything because things have reached the higher-ups.

Mike took good care of the German ship and I think her saving the drowning kinpatsu is like a gesture of goodwill. But then this can be used against them. The Harukaze attacked the Spree and took a hostage. Risky move by Mike considering the situation her ship is in.

This is so not a simple slice of life show as I first expected. It's similar to School Live, as in, there are cute girls doing stuff moments, but it also gets pretty serious at times. And I hope it stays this way because it's pretty cool right now.

Comment

I don't understand. They can break radio silence to respond to a distress call, but not to defend themselves from charges of mutiny that has other ships seriously out to sink them? And how come they have not been contacted directly by fleet HQ (as it was shown not everyone is in on the conspiracy, if that is what it is).
                    Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Episode 3

Turn out the lights.

The situation is quite desperate for the Harekaze as the ship is in need of supplies and repaid, and the crew has been declared fugitives meaning that it can't port anywhere. They approach yet another hostile ship, this time in the form of a submarine used by an all-boys school. So with Wilhelmina's expertise on German ships having taken her in from the German ship they got away from last time, they were able to avoid the torpedo attack, force the sub to surface, and get away. As it turns out, it was originally supposed to be a training exercise, but then problems happened along the way and the crewmates disobeyed orders as a result. The girls are now headed back, but there are bound to be obstacles along the way.

That was a well-done fight there, and just when it looked like this show was going to leave us in the dark about what really is going on until the bitter end, the situation has surfaced in that subs are starting to go rogue. While the academy is doing what they can to protect their students, unfortunately there are lots of others who didn't get the message. Anyway, the girls now have a destination after wandering on the seas. I'll give it one more episode before making a decision on this show as it's currently on the bubble for this season's watchlist.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Why are all German's portrayed the same way in anime? At least she has stripped high thighs.
                        Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

So the situation here is that the Harekaze has mutinied and can't go to any port. The school has been told to deal with this ASAP or risk getting all their ships seized or sunk.

Mike can't help Moka since they're all fugitives and need help themselves. They get attacked by a submarine from an all boys school for unknown reasons. The Spree had also stopped obeying orders which could be what happened with the submarine crew.

Lol "Brown Sugar". Mike not being able to pronounce those difficult German names. The German bishoujou helped the Harekaze out of the late night submarine assault since the Germans are pros in dealing with subs. And then she tells what happened aboard her ship.

So the reason has to be that someone wants to start a war or that someone has something against the Blue Mermaids and wants to sully their name by having them fight.

Now the principal has ordered all ships to reach the school immediately so that the situation can be cleared up and dealt with immediately.

The submarine vs Harekaze fight was pretty cool. I really like how they go full serious when it comes these fights. The moe moe cuteness stuff stops there and they focus only on fighting. Mike wanted to avoid having to fight because they're fugitives already but they have no choice but to defend themselves from sinking which is why she had to attack them.

Now to see what happens now. Mashiro's mother is the principal and of course she'll do her best to try and pull the Harekaze out of this pinch.

Comment

I'm a bit interested in what's going with the other ships. The beginning of the episode shows a monitor with "Lost" ships, including the Y467 Harekaze and Y118 Musashi. But everyone is only talking about the Harekaze. Were all the other ships attacked? Was the Harezake the only one that fought back? Did that scheming instructor sink the other ships and frame the Harezake? Or perhaps some students are involved with the instructor's scheme and are avoiding contact with command?

Also, that cat makes some weird noises...
                            @Asrialys | MyAnimeList | DVD/BD Collection (aka My Backlog...)

Comment

Episode 4

They won't be flushed down the toilet.

The girls of the Harekaze find themselves in quite a bad situation as they are running low on supplies, especially toilet paper, and they are two days away from the academy where they can dock safely. So four girls go shopping at an ocean mall while the crew stay behind to salvage for supplies. And then things get bad when the girls are spotted and the ship gets surrounded with Tama going crazy apparently possessed by the rat they picked up from the ocean. As things turns out, those ladies at the mall were ordered by Mashiro's mother to help them out and get the truth out that Maritime Safety sees the Harekaze as fugitives, but she has complete faith that they have done nothing wrong.

That was quite a turn of events there, and the Harekaze figured to be is a situation just like the Ryvius until the end, but it looks like the girls will now have Mashiro's mother and the Blue Mermaids to help them get through, all while there's corruption on some level with Maritime Safety. I had a feeling that those ladies were allies seeing that letting something like this happen goes against everything they stand for. There quite a lot of drama building up here.

So with that, the trial period has expired and after a bland start, this show is full of intrigue. So I'm leaning towards keeping this show, but I'm not ready to say it one way or the other just yet.
                              Last edited by Buckeye; 04-30-2016, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X