X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2016] Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    甲鉄城のカバネリ

A Japanese steampunk version of Attack on Titan. As it's by the same production staff as AoT, it's another show where humanity is on the verge of being squashed by a breed of superhuman monsters and the MC is determined to exterminated them all. This time, the enemies are zombies.

Airs: Thursday, April 7

Studio: Wit

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

As the world is in the middle of an industrial revolution, a monster appears that cannot be defeated unless its heart, which is protected by a layer of iron, is pierced. By infecting humans with its bite, the monster can create aggressive and undead creatures known as Kabane. On the island Hinomoto, located in the far east, people have built stations to shelter themselves from these creatures. People access the station, as well as transport wares between them, with the help of a locomotive running on steam, called Hayajiro. Ikoma, a boy who lives in the Aragane station and helps to build Hayajiro, creates his own weapon called Tsuranukizutsu in order to defeat the creatures. One day, as he waits for an opportunity to use his weapon, he meets a girl named Mumei, who is excused from the mandatory Kabane inspection. During the night, Ikoma meets Mumei again as he sees Hayajiro going out of control. The staff on the locomotive has turned into the creatures. The station, now under attack by Kabane, is the opportunity Ikoma has been looking for.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 04-07-2016, 06:05 PM. Reason: Amazon Video link added
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Shot through the heart.

And so, the steampunk version of Attack on Titan begins in similar fashion with the Kabanes arriving to an island cut off from the chaos in the rest of the world. Unlike with the titans who just kill and devour, these monsters devour and transform people into these zombies. Ikoma has been waiting for this day to prove that he has perfected the art of Kabane killing. That was quite an intense way to start things off, though I felt that things just moved too quickly here. And seeing that a person is suspected of being bitten when in truth he wasn't leads me to believe that just like in AOT, there's some sort of conspiracy at work from the human side of things.

So with that, I'm onboard with this show seeing that my family subscribes to Prime, but yeah seeing Amazon getting this is not a good thing, especially in places where Prime doesn't exist.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Wow, this doesn't even look like a TV series production. The high quality art and animation is simply stunning. Too bad it'll never last :D
      Sticking with this show despite being a AOT/Sidonia clone.

Comment

Re: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Discussion Thread

Basically Attack on Titan, but a solid first episode nonetheless. It looks great and the action scenes were excellent. This already looks like it will be the big show of the season. I kind of wish the protagonist was just an inventor instead of having Titan powers as well though.
        Avatar: Pariya from Otoyomegatari.

Comment

Obviously the AoT vibe is strong with this one. I enjoyed it. I really like the MC's anger at the enemy and everyone else's (seemingly) inability/no desire to fight back. The main criticism I have is that they made some pretty big reveals (his inventing and his ability to fight off the infection) without much background. I can see they might have a big story to tell with a limited number of episodes, so I can let that slide. Hopefully they can keep the story moving with the necessary character development.
          Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Attack On Titan 2.0 but I think this has bags of potential to possibly even surpass it, though I do fear it may have blown it's load in the first episode given what happened towards the end. But I guess when it's only a single cour series there isn't enough time to build stuff like that up slowly.

I have 1 single issue with this episode and that is this - Why would you lower the bridge with the knowledge that any train could be infected? Surely you would be better off making the train wait first kinda like the first train that entered the station had to. Seemed like a glaring oversight given just how much peril there is in the world.
            Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Cool show, bro. I love sumptious artwork and detail like this, especially the Steampunk aesthetic. A big "yup" to this show which will help tide me over until we get more AoT.

Comment

Originally posted by blaizevincent View Post
                Attack On Titan 2.0 but I think this has bags of potential to possibly even surpass it, though I do fear it may have blown it's load in the first episode given what happened towards the end. But I guess when it's only a single cour series there isn't enough time to build stuff like that up slowly.

I have 1 single issue with this episode and that is this - Why would you lower the bridge with the knowledge that any train could be infected? Surely you would be better off making the train wait first kinda like the first train that entered the station had to. Seemed like a glaring oversight given just how much peril there is in the world.
                Yeah, if there is one problem with this episode, it is that things just happened way too quickly. But like you said Blaize, with only one cour to work with the show couldn't waste any time. Knowing that this is the same production team behind Attack on Titan, I am expecting there to be some big conspiracy in the making on the human side, which could possibly explain why the bridge is lowered just like that. There's that, and the whole strip search for zombie bites that could prove to be a sign that something fishy is going on.

Comment

This was cool. The artwork, first of all, was great. Wit Studio does tend to have awesome visuals in their works and this is no exception.

This has some interesting bits. The zombies were scary here and that's good. At least they don't look stupid like in AoT lol. The people are so terrified of these kabane that they don't want to let anyone they think is infected live. And that's where the MC comes in with his thinking that being terrified like this won't do them any good.

The girl was cute. She had cute feet too. Rarely do you see a show where they make good feet....

Anyway.... This had interesting bits about the virus which makes zombies. They can stop it from spreading throughout the body like the MC did, but the people are too scared to try it out. There may be people experimenting on ways to cure this zombie virus, but they're probably not near the MC I think.

Interesting stuff and I'll keep watching this.
                  My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoia Gent View Post
                    Cool show, bro. I love sumptious artwork and detail like this, especially the Steampunk aesthetic. A big "yup" to this show which will help tide me over until we get more AoT.
                    Yeah, I love this type of stuff and AoT. This was great.

Comment

Just wrote my most extensive review/history lesson in a while. Until then, I'll just post my summary:

Code Geass writer Ichirō Ōkouchi reunites with the Attack on Titan anime team that he had previously collaborated with for Guilty Crown in another attempt to make the hit that these forces are capable of with the right content. This time they’re clearly trying to replicate Attack on Titan as much as humanly possible. While it’s almost unbelievably derivative at every turn, it’s a little endearing to see it be so direct, and its strength of presentation and relatively limited reliance on storytelling nuance in its introductory episode admittedly make this a perfectly good first offering.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Neither human nor Kabane, they are Kabaneri.

This is just like the part midway through the Attack on Titan TV series when a titan fighting for humanity shows up to prove his allegiance (and more specifically, I'm thinking about what happens in episode 13). Something similar happens here as Ikoma's bite mark has everybody wanting him dead. But he proves his worth by defeating those zombies and lowering the bridge to get everybody out of town. As it turns out, Mumei is also like Ikoma and the two of them call themselves Kabaneri. That was simply great and even though it is obviously copying off of Attack on Titan, everything has been an excellent display of the quality of work this production team puts together. A show like this is in this team's comfort zone, and there's nothing wrong with using what worked to make this show.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I knew there'd be limits to the animation, so it was a little disappointing to see so many still frames being used. Nonetheless, the show still has the best eye candy this season. Yeah, and there's no denying I'll be hopping on the Mumei bandwagon too. She makes Mikasa look a little boring, especially since all the fighting is done without the assistance of some 3D gear and it's easy to see why she's considered the best character of the show. Thought the scene where she cocoons herself to rest was cute.

Comment

Definitely a great show. Still a lot of familiarity, but the animation and everything about Mumei so far are so great that it doesn't hinder it.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

So Ikoma and Mumei are humans with zombie powers. Both got themselves infected somehow and they managed to stop the infection from spreading to the brain. And now they are Kabaneris. But they can stay in that hybrid form for a limited amount of time because obviously it drains energy from them in return for that awesome badassery.

That scene where Ikoma was thrown out of the train was great. He had two options: go to the lever and just sit there and let everyone die as payback for throwing him out of the train, bot believing him, and being so nekoing scared of everything, or do what he did, save everyone and make them feel terrible for the rest of their lives because the person they abandoned because they didn't trust him, just saved their lives by sacrificing his own. That was some pretty cool stuff.

The soundtrack when Mumei started fighting was sugoi. Great music. The fight animation was also pretty cool.

So far this is quite good. Now to see what direction they take. Do they wander around from town to town searching for a safe place or do they join some group or themselves go to try and end the kabanes by killing them all (roaming around the lands) or by finding some other way to ends things?
                              My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X