X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2016] Bakuon!! Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ばくおん!!

A show about moe and motorcycles to form moecycles, or something like that.

Airs: Friday, April 1

Studio: TMS Entertainment

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The story revolves around high school girls who discover the appeal of motorcycles. Sakura Hane is a high school student who looks a little bit like an airhead. On the way to her all-female high school one day, she is worn-out climbing a hilly road with a bicycle, but she sees a girl named Onsa Amano who is riding a motorcycle. Sakura immediately becomes interested in motorcycles, and she and Onsa join the motorcycle club at the school. Then, Sakura sets out to get her license.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 04-03-2016, 10:54 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Let's go for a ride.

I certainly got the K-On! vibes from watching this (not to mention, the logo was borrowed heavily from that show) as Hane joins the Bike Club under similar circumstances that Yui joined the Light Music Club as she's completely new to motorcycles and she got interested in joining because she did a similar, but far less sophisticated activity. Not to mention, she's a quick learner already understanding the basics. And then there's Rin, who is still getting her license, but she's all about riding in style. Not to mention, she only wants Suzuki bikes seeing that the name is similar to her's, Suzunoki. That was a pretty solid start there, and I think that I'll really like this show.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Hah, it's obvious this is primarily aimed at otaku who might happen to also be biker junkies, but I'm liking it so far. And no, I'm not a biker and never really was. Funny though how I can relate too well with poor Rin. Many, many years ago I was teased for having a "Screwzuki" when my other classmates had Yamaha and Honda. But that was all in good fun. I also had a Kawasaki, but that was nothing compared to the Suzuki....ah, nostalgia.

Also love that Kinjou (Yowamushi Pedal) lookalike/cameo with his road bike; got a good laugh from that.
      Though what I'm really impressed with is the show's use of official branding, everything from the actual names of the brands like Amazon.co.jp, the accessories/helmets; the bikes themselves; etc. It's been a while since I've seen some 'official' representation/product placement inserted in an anime without having to resort to faux naming schemes and logo alterations. Though I'm curious to how Suzuki and Ducati would feel seeing how they're somewhat the butt of jokes here.

And the random talking bike is too reminiscent of the intimacy shown in Golden Boy's "Balls to the Wall" episode with Reiko Terayama. Some 20+ odd years later and there's finally something that pays homage to that fanservice. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
        Hah, it's obvious this is primarily aimed at otaku who might happen to also be biker junkies, but I'm liking it so far. And no, I'm not a biker and never really was. Funny though how I can relate too well with poor Rin. Many, many years ago I was teased for having a "Screwzuki" when my other classmates had Yamaha and Honda. But that was all in good fun. I also had a Kawasaki, but that was nothing compared to the Suzuki....ah, nostalgia.
        I have zero knowledge of motorcycles (not sure I've ever ridden one in my life, seriously), but I still found enough to enjoy.

Also love that Kinjou (Yowamushi Pedal) lookalike/cameo with his road bike; got a good laugh from that.
        Though what I'm really impressed with is the show's use of official branding, everything from the actual names of the brands like Amazon.co.jp, the accessories/helmets; the bikes themselves; etc. It's been a while since I've seen some 'official' representation/product placement inserted in an anime without having to resort to faux naming schemes and logo alterations. Though I'm curious to how Suzuki and Ducati would feel seeing how they're somewhat the butt of jokes here.
        I think this ties into the other bike show TMS did that you mention, Yowapeda, which also featured official branding. They must have a good relationship with the manufacturers and are able to make deals for using the names and logos.

I have a feeling Suzuki's higher ups are not going to be that upset, since their logo is quite prominently…er…displayed where a large number of audience eyeballs are going to be focused this season, I suspect
        Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

This was more hilarious than I expected lol. Sakura started off as one of those annoying stupid MCs. Seriously, she was acting like an elementary schooler while on her way to high school. But she quickly became a fun girl. Now I don't hate her as much as I did in the first few minutes lol. Curly haired girl was finding reasons to convince Sakura that bike riding is awesome and the creepy helmet senpai just took her on a bike ride. That was the best way to convince her.

Lol the talking Honda bike. That was funny. "Treat your bike like you would treat a man" Lol.

What was up with all the Suzuki hate? I am not a bike lover so I don't know. Is Suzuki really that bad or do these fellows just hate Suzuki that much?

This had a lot of fun moments. Even though I don't know the slightest thing about motorcycles, this is a keeper.

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
          I have a feeling Suzuki's higher ups are not going to be that upset, since their logo is quite prominently…er…displayed where a large number of audience eyeballs are going to be focused this season, I suspect
          They sure made up for all that bashing lol
          My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Originally posted by Yamada2 View Post
            They sure made up for all that bashing lol
            There'll be a lot of bashing surrounding that Suzuki logo, I'm sure.
            Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
            Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

I think this ties into the other bike show TMS did that you mention, Yowapeda, which also featured official branding. They must have a good relationship with the manufacturers and are able to make deals for using the names and logos.
              I should've visited earlier, but the show's official site has a good amount of the relevant companies/sponsors listed at the bottom. Pretty cool they were able to get so many companies to make this show more 'authentic'. Though I'm curious to see if Hane's parents, who happen to be in America, are also into motorcycles. If so, and if the show actually does what I'm thinking....that would be quite the feat if Harley Davidson was among the brands :D Highly doubtful though..

Hah, too true. :D I'm curious to how the creator was able to visualize what characters matched best with a particular bike brand. Amusingly enough, the OVA has even more Suzuki and Ducati lambasting, though the other makes do share in it to some extent. I loved it, but really felt for Rin as she got a lot of flak for her favoritism. They also somehow managed to do more with the Suzuki brand, in more fanservicey ways I wasn't expecting. Fun stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Yamada2 View Post
                What was up with all the Suzuki hate? I am not a bike lover so I don't know. Is Suzuki really that bad or do these fellows just hate Suzuki that much?
                yeah, I know that feeling, :D but this mockery of the brand has likely been going on for time immemorial.. though I suppose that's a common occurrence for any kind of fanboyism, so any strong affinity to one particular brand is going to be met with some kind of bashing, as 'realistically', yet amusingly portrayed by the girls.

I'm not really one to speak about the 'exact reasoning' why Suzuki is made out to be worse than it actually is, but here's a snippet taken from a reddit post regarding the Suzuki hate -

This is partially because of three reasons:

Back when the GSXR was originally introduced, it was an absolute landmark of motorcycle design. In terms of motorcycles, the GSXR was the first bike to really be defined as a "super sport" due to it's massive jump in performance over the competition's bikes.

Obviously, the other major manufacturers caught up (and in some cases surpassed) suzuki in terms of design, but even still, the GSXR has consistently proven to be a contender in the performance category. Because of this, most of the industry consider the GSXR to be the benchmark of modern performance, as all other bikes are compared to it. It has an unparalleled pedigree.

Suzuki's are usually cheaper than their competitive counter parts.

So, with the notoriety and cheap price tag, it's not really a surprise that they sell like hotcakes, and tend to be ridden by squidbillies.
                I'd say that's a pretty reasonable assessment of the model, if not the brand's identity. But again, the same argument can be applied to all makes and models, but I guess Suzuki earned that 'notoriety' because of that mix between mass production, price-performance, and general popularity. Think of it in terms of the Honda Civic in the car world. Honda Civic was and is still massively popular (alongside the higher-end Acura Integra in its bygone years, though Toyota's Corolla has easily taken back that lead) and many who drove it were either scoffed at or labeled a 'riceburner'.

Comment

Whoa, that was totally Kinjou!

But yeah, didn't like anything else about it.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Moecycles indeed. It seems that Hane has a healthy love of breasts, to the point of using Lime-senpai's as handles. I really like Lime-senpai's bow. All the characters are great, especially Onsa. I don't think I've seen another character with her hair style before.
                    Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Yay, goofy show o' the season.

I've never had a motorcycle myself, either, though I contemplated it years ago, and I have pieces of knowledge here and there (an uncle is a bike nut (BMW, Ducati, mostly) and long time instructor; gave me the best advice about driving in general: "You're going to fall. If you know what you're doing hopefully you're just going to drop your bike at a stop sign."). I know BMWs probably best, in fact, since that's what I had my eye on at one time, but this show's certainly about the Japanese brands front and center, which is cool. (For Beemer fandom, best show is Ewan McGregor's Long Way Round docu-adventure, anyway. )

Also checking in on loving the Kinjou nod. And appreciating the branding.

Yeah, it's full of cheesecake and all the rest, but it's at such a quick pace and as silly with the characters as it is earnest about showing off the bikes, I really don't mind. As fun as I'd hoped this would be.
                      Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                      Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                      Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post

Yeah, it's full of cheesecake and all the rest, but it's at such a quick pace and as silly with the characters as it is earnest about showing off the bikes, I really don't mind. As fun as I'd hoped this would be.
                        yep, even with one episode so far, it's looking like the comedy of this season for me. But I'm still confused about the ED, well, specifically Hane.... Is it me, or is she giving the 'victory/peace' sign or the bird? Hard to tell, though it really looks to be the latter seeing how her fingers are positioned :D

Comment

Episode 2

They've got the passion for riding.

Rin's father is a motorcycling enthusiast and her reason for getting into motorcycling is because she wants to someday get the Yoshimura Katana 1135R, which requires an essay in order to purchase, Hijiri joins the club and has her butler take her around, and after having a nervous breakdown at the start, Hane passes her exam to get her license. Rin sure does have the passion, but that accident involving her father was really tough on her. And so much for a game of chicken as Hijiri's butler jumps into the river rather than trying to stop before falling in. Pretty solid episode here, especially the part where Hane recovered nicely after stumbling at the start seeing that not riding Baita took an emotional toll.

So with that, this show looks like a keeper seeing that Mondays are shaping up to be a crappy day with the other two standard-length shows looking like surefire drops.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

First, off, WHO THE HELL RIDES A MOTORCYCLE WITH A 5-6 YEAR OLD ON THE BACK?
                            Also, 4 generations that butler served ojou-san's family? Just how old are you, Mr. Butler?
                            I wonder if Onsa's hairstyle was based off of a Grease character?
                            Poor, Baita...off to the used motorcycle store with you...wait...other people can understand you?
                            This show is good dumb fun.
                            Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
                              Also, 4 generations that butler served ojou-san's family? Just how old are you, Mr. Butler?
                              "I haven't had a sidecar since the Siberian internment."
                              So he is at least old enough to have fought in World War II.

Heh, I love the ojousama's fascination with delinquency (so that's how she's here: not necessarily motorcycles but that association). I wonder if there is a bit of fujoshi in her too.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X