Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode 23

So Ram appearing to be suspicious/possibly Sloth was just a red herring. Still amusing she continues to suspect Subaru when the same could be said of her and Roswaal.

Silly theatrics with Betelgeuse's posession. I was hoping we'd be done with this particular sin and move onto the rest, but it looks like it'll be another reset.. Curious to where Subaru will restart this time.

Comment

• Re: Episode 23

I was wondering if Subaru would die after seeing how destroyed the village got. Obviously he made some more progress this time, so it's just a question of where he'll end up now.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
        So Ram appearing to be suspicious/possibly Sloth was just a red herring. Still amusing she continues to suspect Subaru when the same could be said of her and Roswaal.

Silly theatrics with Betelgeuse's posession. I was hoping we'd be done with this particular sin and move onto the rest, but it looks like it'll be another reset.. Curious to where Subaru will restart this time.
        I am getting tired of Betelgeuse as well. It does seem to be overkill in order to kill him. The question is…how does he transfer from host to host? Originally, I just thought it was the Fingers, but if he can transfer into Subaru, then it is something else. One has to wonder if touching the Gospel has anything to do with it, in which case picking it up was not such a good idea.

At least the show did go back to being a bit challenging and dark with the ending there. I was getting a touch bored the past month or so.
        Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Becoming an Archbishop? Over his dead body.

That blue flower is just an illusion, and Julius had protected Subaru while Ram arrives to kidnap Subaru over a blank letter that he didn't know that he sent to her. So the evacuation begins, but it turns out one of the merchants is a finger of the cult and blows himself up. The war begins, and Emilia arrives to kill the last of the fingers, but now Subaru gets possessed by Betelgeuse. He manages to take control long enough to get the message to Julius to kill him, which he does.

This cult is a lot tougher to defeat than it looks seeing that they are using all sorts of tricks and deceptions there. So in the end, Ram wasn't part of the cult as the ending of the previous episode suggested, but someone who has business with Subaru over some misunderstanding. Nevertheless, Subaru underestimated the enemy once again that led to many deaths, and now that he knows what this cult is capable of that he won't be taken by surprise again. It will be interesting to see where the save point is and I think it is going to be some point after the battle with the White Whale seeing that going back anytime before that will be counterintuitive. This marks the 11th time Subaru has been killed.
          MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
          Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
          Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
            The question is…how does he transfer from host to host? Originally, I just thought it was the Fingers, but if he can transfer into Subaru, then it is something else. One has to wonder if touching the Gospel has anything to do with it, in which case picking it up was not such a good idea.
            It was somewhat alluded to earlier that the gospel could be 'infectious', which was comically implied when Tivey and Felis were avoiding it, but how that translated to Subaru getting possessed is questionable. I'm guessing it's not just having possession of, reading, or touching the book that's dangerous, but the curiosity and intent of deciphering that makes you vulnerable.

Or, another theory: because the last finger was killed, the next person that has the gospel (regardless whether or not they've opened it or had no intention of doing anything with it) ends up 'acquiring' the role of that particular sin. So in essence, the possession is 'inherited' to the next living victim to keep that sin 'alive' (and perhaps metaphorically implying that cardinals sins, which are understood to be inherent flaws in everybody, can manifest themselves in ways one may not immediately recognize). Basically, one may 'accidentally' become an archbishop/the sin, or one has to actively pursue an interest in learning about it, which might be the catalyst of becoming one. We know that Subaru actually stated he'd try to 'understand' it, so perhaps that's what got him possessed. Though I also believe the 'last man standing' in possession of the gospel inheriting the role is just as plausible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
              Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
              The question is…how does he transfer from host to host? Originally, I just thought it was the Fingers, but if he can transfer into Subaru, then it is something else. One has to wonder if touching the Gospel has anything to do with it, in which case picking it up was not such a good idea.
              It was somewhat alluded to earlier that the gospel could be 'infectious', which was comically implied when Tivey and Felis were avoiding it, but how that translated to Subaru getting possessed is questionable. I'm guessing it's not just having possession of, reading, or touching the book that's dangerous, but the curiosity and intent of deciphering that makes you vulnerable.

Or, another theory: because the last finger was killed, the next person that has the gospel (regardless whether or not they've opened it or had no intention of doing anything with it) ends up 'acquiring' the role of that particular sin. So in essence, the possession is 'inherited' to the next living victim to keep that sin 'alive' (and perhaps metaphorically implying that cardinals sins, which are understood to be inherent flaws in everybody, can manifest themselves in ways one may not immediately recognize). Basically, one may 'accidentally' become an archbishop/the sin, or one has to actively pursue an interest in learning about it, which might be the catalyst of becoming one. We know that Subaru actually stated he'd try to 'understand' it, so perhaps that's what got him possessed. Though I also believe the 'last man standing' in possession of the gospel inheriting the role is just as plausible.
              I do not think it has anything to do with the gospel. I think there are two things that made Subaru vulnerable to the takeover and they may be related. One he seems to be very sensitive to spirit magic and he has an overwhelming amount of the witch's "love".

Comment

• Episode 24

On his honor as a knight...

Subaru's save point has been updated to the morning after the White Whale battle, and he uses his knowledge gained from the previous timeline to formulate a new strategy. First, he sends Wilhelm to the mansion to clear up the misunderstanding about the letter, and with the trust back he has the villagers evacuated. Knowing that there are cultists among the merchants that the schedule was given two hours behind schedule to get everybody safely away. And Subaru confronts Betelgeuse and his cult, drawing him away to the cliff where Julius is waiting, and together they fight Betelgeuse.

Just as I was expecting, the save point is after harpooning the whale seeing how it would have been beating on a dead horse (or in this case, dead whale) if it had been gone back to before the battle. That was quite an elaborate trap set by Subaru there and it's something that he wouldn't have been able to do without his save point ability. That was quite a sight to behold there seeing Subaru and Julius make up like that in the heat of battle. One more episode left to go as Subaru and company puts the cult in their place once and for all.
                The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

• Re: Episode 24

Makes sense that he got a save point there. It's far too frustrating to have to face two bosses in a row when there's so much involved to both. He's in the best spot yet, though, which isn't surprising leading into the finale. It looks to conclude the main battle he's been fighting for most of this cour, so that's good, but it will inevitably still be very incomplete, so I really hope we'll be getting another season.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

• Re: Episode 24

hah, the best part of this episode was Mimi and Tivey's reaction seeing Betelgeuse floating in the air the way he did.

Comment

• Episode 25 (Finale)

There's no such thing as too much happiness.

Together, Julius and Subaru defeats Betelgeuse crushing him under a pile of rocks. But they are not out of the woods as somebody stole some fire stones enough to blow up a village and headed for the place Emilia and the children are headed to. And Betelgeuse still isn't dead as he chases after Subaru and Otto demanding to see Satella, but Subaru kills him once and for all. Then he reaches the wagon just in time to get the stones and place them inside the White Whale's corpse to save the day. He wakes up, and declares his love for Emilia.

That was just an amazing way to wrap up this show. Subaru goes to show just how much he has grown through dying and stuff to let Betelgeuse know that nothing is going to stop him. Then he has the courage to take the stones and find a place to safely explode them and get away just in time. Then that love confession really is something. That certainly was great, and I'm hoping for more somewhere down the line because it certainly deserves a sequel, but seeing that the novels end here at the moment that it will be awhile before that happens.

Overall, this show does just about everything right as it has memorable characters, quality artwork, a great story concept, and more importantly a story that is well-written and well-executed. Seeing that this show would often skip the opening and ending theme songs, as well as having one episode exceed its standard length all goes to show that great things were coming out of this show. But above all, it's the development of Subaru's character that makes this show a masterpiece as this show does a great job in bringing him back and forth from one extreme to the other. Just about the only thing that that wasn't great about this show is the pacing as the story went slower than I wanted to, but it makes up for it with quality storytelling. Hopefully, this show can get another season as there's still the Felt and Priscilla camps to get to after spending a lot of time with the Emilia, Crusch, and Anastasia camps, but at the moment there just isn't enough material to make it happen at this time.

MAL Rating: **********

Comment

• Re: Episode 25 (Finale)

Ah, what a perfect finale. Everything I could've hoped it would be and so much more. Wonderful. Definitely the best thing airing these past six months by far. Someone license it already!
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I am sure the consensus among many will be that this was the best show and this was a great ending.

I'm going to have to buck that consensus. This last episode, the entire ending arc, was just a self-indulgent trip through Wish-Fulfillment Land, complete with the "Hero" performing mighty deeds and saving "The Girl" by the end of the episode, winning her love on top of it. It's been that way for a while, ever since the whale hunt. I did not really feel any sort of emotional high from the final dialogue between Emilia and Subaru, because their love feels to me like a very shallow, superficial bond. It's there to make the reader feel good, but there really was not much in the way of…anything…that just makes me feel much at all about it. It's not that I dislike Emilia (Subaru is a hard to like character, especially with the way he behaves at times). It's not that there is anything wrong with the two of them being together—they're both rather shallow and empty shells of characters, so perhaps it makes sense for them to be paired.

Everything was just too pat. Look, it's all tied up now, with a pretty ribbon shaped into a beautiful bow. I do not expect a full explanation as to how Subaru wound up in this world or what it is the Witch really wants (I am more than aware of the publication status of the light novels in Japan). It's not a problem to leave things on this note. But…it's just such a bland, bland, bland note.
                          Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                          Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                          Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

I guess I shouldn't have expected much considering the way things were turning out these past few episodes. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing more animated as long as the story behind Satella and the other characters are further detailed; but really, this 'reunion' felt rather lackluster. Maybe if it weren't for the lame 'intercept the firestones, else Emilia and friends are blown to kingdom come', and how Betelgeuse comically dies by being run over by a carriage wheel...
                            Oh well. Was somewhat doubtful White Fox couldn't top their Steins;Gate masterpiece, though I suppose that's reflective of the source material.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                              That certainly was great, and I'm hoping for more somewhere down the line because it certainly deserves a sequel, but seeing that the novels end here at the moment that it will be awhile before that happens.
                              The web novels from which the light novels come from continues on quite far after this point.

But, hell yeah we need another series!

It's about as perfect a series as you can find. I'm so looking forward to binge watching this.

At this point I'd like to thank those responsible for this anime for taking the time to tell the story they wanted to tell this season, and to tell it in the time it took to tell it. We've all seen it: Anime shows marred and all too often ruined by not being given the length of time to tell its story, and/or shows that try to tell too much story in too little time. Imagine this season told in 12-13 episodes...or even 10. Worse, imagine adding on the literally hundreds of chapters of the web novel that still haven't been put into light novel format into this season (the web novels have a present total of 429 chapters), or horror of horrors, a single cour of 10-13 episodes.

This how was beyond good, and achieved greatness, first, because it is great to begin with, but second because it was told properly. It is a lesson the anime industry really needs to heed: Pick a story to be told that can be told properly within the time parameters of the budget and episodes count you've been given.

But..WOW! So many great characters, such a great story! Subaru is a character whose growth is tangible, and whose madness at points is entirely believable and understandable. Emelia starts off as a believable love interest, but shows her sincere inner strength, and is no pushover for our hero. Who wouldn't be in love with her after that first arc? And then we have the playfulness and power of Puck(aka Pack), the feistiness of Felt, Reinhard's power and dedication, Elsa's insanity (It's always fun when Mamiko Noto plays a psycho), and that's just the first arc. We then get the staff at Roswal's mansion, starting off with the fun that is Betty, but highlighted by the twins RRam and Rem, with Rem now elevated to Best Girl in Japan (and deservedly so).

And that just takes us about halfway through the series. Then we get some of the most jaw-dropping episodes. We thought Subaru had it tough before? We hadn't seen anything yet, and again...WOW!

This series has been absolutely the best of this season and last season. Seriously, if you're making top 10 episodes of a season there's hardly any room in either Spring or Summer of 2016 for anything other than episodes from this series.

Well done all around. We still have a number of hanging issues, but we have a truly satisfying resolution to this series. A+
                              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X