X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2016] Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    Re:ゼロから始める異世界生活

A show about a ordinary high school boy who has the power to return to zero, or more specifically turn back time by dying. Not quite the same power as a certain aspiring mangaka, but he still can save lives with it.

Airs: Sunday, April 3

Studio: White Fox

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Suddenly, high school student Subaru Natsuki has been summoned to another world on the way back from the convenience store. With the biggest crisis of his life being summoned to another world, and with no sign of the one who summoned him, things become even worse when he is attacked. But when he is saved by a mysterious, silver-haired girl with a fairy cat, Subaru cooperates with her to return the favor. When they finally manage to get a clue, Subaru and the girl are attacked and killed by someone. Subaru then awakens in the place he was summoned and notices he gained the ability "Returns by Death" and has become a helpless boy that only has the ability to rewind time by dying. Beyond the despair, can he save the girl from the fate of death?

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Back to the save point.

On the way home from the convenience store, Subaru is transported into a fantasy world. He gets thrown around until he meets Satella, who is looking for her insignia that Felt swiped from her. So they go to Felt's house where they are killed. Subaru's rewind is activated and he's back to the time he asked about the appa to the merchant, and this time he goes straight to Felt's house to try and buy the insignia using his cell phone as currency. In comes the killer Elsa who also wants to buy the insignia, but was outbid and none too pleased about it. So she kills everybody, and Subaru goes back in time again.

This show comes out as being Konosuba mixed with Erased, and so far I'm really liking it. This all feels like an RPG where the MC returns to the save point when it's game over with that power of his. Anyway, the characters come out as an interesting bunch there, and certainly there's a lot of bad blood going on seeing that Elsa and Satella belong to enemy factions. Seeing that this is two cours and the first episode is double in length that I have high hopes for this show, and so far the first episode presents itself very nicely.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Well, I'm solidly onboard. There is a definite trend these days to place a "knowing" character into parallel worlds. What I mean by that is that these types of characters, thanks to their steady diet of anime, manga and games, are totally familiar and comfortable with the idea of parallel worlds and have cliched expectations of what they think is supposed to happen. No doubt this trend will get tiresome at some point, but I thought it was well done in this instance. I love how Subaru isn't the slightest bit phased by suddenly finding himself in another world. It's a pity that Elsa seems to be a villainess because she's pretty hot. But maybe we'll come to see a different side of her. Certainly, Satella seemed to assume that Subaru would have a negative opinion of her when she revealed she was a half-elf, so maybe they are supposed to be bad, in some way. Anyway, even though this show has a somewhat different tone than KonoSuba, it still have reverberations of it. Actually, it's kind of a blend of KonoSuba and Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash in that there is comedy but also sort of a "realistic" approach to the fantasy setting. Be interested to see where this goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoia Gent View Post
        Anyway, even though this show has a somewhat different tone than KonoSuba, it still have reverberations of it. Actually, it's kind of a blend of KonoSuba and Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash in that there is comedy but also sort of a "realistic" approach to the fantasy setting. Be interested to see where this goes.
        I'd hate to make the KonoSuba comparison, because that series deserves better, but I suppose that's the most notable one since it's recent. Though I feel this is also like 'Edge of Tomorrow' in it's dying/repeating loops.

But wow was that episode a poor attempt at trying to make the usual tropes funny. Where KonoSuba excels in that regard, this series just fails hard. It tries, but it doesn't work. Then it shifts into gruesome violence and melodrama when everything happening seconds before was all moe. Uhm, yeah...

Seems like the direction was trying to cash in with KonoSuba and Grimgar's relevance, but it's so blatantly obvious, that it's difficult to take seriously.

I'll continue to watch for now, though I leave my expectations pretty low. For a title that seems more dependent on the success/popularity of its predecessors, I'll be cautious to see how they'll improve in what the others might've been lacking in.

Comment

So no surprise I wasn't the only one thinking about Konosuba with how this hikikomori traveling to another world expects things to play out going by the tropes, and to have those things amusingly twisted around on him from the start. I could already tell from the flashes in the convenience store before that, though, this is, unlike Konosuba, meant to be getting into a darker, more serious story. Could be more of a mixed bag, though I'm intrigued with how it will be play out at this point. I guess another thing I'm kind of reminded of is Outbreak Company, in how the half-elf reveal goes (feels kind of heartwarming here too) and it gets into a bit of the social stratification of the medieval-type society.

It seems like Subaru's deaths so far have a bit of a "Save & Continue" feel to it (does he have unlimited continues? And will he get to a new save point past the apple seller?), though despite his genre-savviness and going through it twice he's still seemingly completely clueless of it at the end point. Wonder if there's actually something at work clouding his mind there, or if he'll come to a realization by next episode.
          Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 04-03-2016, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
            Seems like the direction was trying to cash in with KonoSuba and Grimgar's relevance, but it's so blatantly obvious, that it's difficult to take seriously.
            Those two shows only aired just this winter season. It's probably far too soon for them to be intentionally trying to "cash in" on those two shows, when this has been greenlit since mid-2015.

Comment

This was interesting. Lol just like Kazuma (Konosuba), Subaru also expected to become the overpowered protagonist upon entering the fantasy world with bishoujous around him. But things don't happen like that and he gets beat up by some guys, gets ignored by a passing by loli almost gets ignored by a bishoujou, doesn't have money, it's nothing like what he expected.

So Satella lost something and Subaru helps her out. But things take a wrong turn and he ends up dying and then going into the past. Only he remembers what happened in the different time-line but since he's new to this stuff, he doesn't know that no one else remembers anything because those events never happened. He has discovered that someone is after Satella, but he doesn't know what to do about that. There is something more to Satella since when Subaru called her name in the end she told him not to call her by the name of the jealous witch (or something like that).

The reviving in the past part after dying was interesting. If something goes wrong in the future, Subaru can always kill himself and go back and fix things. He'll have to make Satella and the other girl(s) who would be around him believe this though.
              My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

I think Buckeye has a point with the save point analogy. If you look at it like it's an RPG, and the woman is the boss character who repeately kicks the protag's ass forcing the protag to reevaluate his strategy, then this show makes sense,
                Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

That was an impressive start. We have multiple mysteries at work here, and I love how they keep dropping different clues (red herrings?) and hints of the bigger picture of what's going on in this world. I'm looking forward to this, which looks to be a 25 episode show of 2 continuous seasons.
                  My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                  1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                  2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                  3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

This was quite good. A generic premise we see a few times a season at this point, but very well-executed, both on the comedic side with the both savvy and often disappointed protagonist and on the dramatic side with the dark intensity that overtakes the story in the second half. The reset element is very intriguing. Other than CG models filling the background (mostly at the beginning), the artwork and animation were also strong throughout. Having an hour-long episode to start with definitely helped, and knowing that we've got a straight two cours to work with inspires a good amount of confidence.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Returning the favor.

Subaru's third attempt fails as he tried to stall Satella, but Felt still stole the insignia, so he lets himself get killed by the three stooges knowing that he has the power to return to the save point. Now, he is trying to buy the insignia before Elsa arrives, and this time he has some help from Reinhard, who saved Subaru from those thugs and relayed a message to Satella. This time, Subaru runs into Elsa, who can sense the fear out of him, and things don't go smoothly as Felt is onto something. Then comes what Subaru believes is Elsa knocking on the door, but it turns out to be Satella.

This show continues to be great and while this whole save point thing could be repetitive and stuff, Subaru's approach changes quite drastically from the previous attempts. Now that Satella has arrived before Elsa, things are going to get interesting seeing that Subaru can't get the deal done like last time seeing that Felt hasn't negotiated with Elsa, but things are headed for a big change now that Satella is there. There must be something really powerful about that insignia seeing that everybody is trying to get their hands on it, but it remains to be seen just what it is all about. So with that, this show is shaping up to be one of the season's best, so it has clinched its spot.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                        It seems like Subaru's deaths so far have a bit of a "Save & Continue" feel to it (does he have unlimited continues? And will he get to a new save point past the apple seller?), though despite his genre-savviness and going through it twice he's still seemingly completely clueless of it at the end point. Wonder if there's actually something at work clouding his mind there, or if he'll come to a realization by next episode.
                        As I was thinking, I guess it's just the traumatizing effect of dying. Now he has a third time at the hand of the low level thugs and gets to realizing what's going on. Feels like there may be hints at something more complicated here. At least the apple seller being thankful for finding his daughter raises some questions. Did he do that off screen? Is it something that seemingly happens before his reset point? At least in one of the previous resets we see "Satella" hasn't met him at the start, and the initial daughter finding was with her.

Definitely an interesting point to the end the episode on, as I'm curious how his introduction to "Satella" will go this time now that he's aware that his previous experiences have been undone, and with Felt right there too, as he was trying to get the insignia back. He's going to have to convince them of something quick as it's not going to be pretty if Elsa shows up.
                        Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 04-10-2016, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Feels like there may be hints at something more complicated here. At least the apple seller being thankful for finding his daughter raises some questions. Did he do that off screen? Is it something that seemingly happens before his reset point? At least in one of the previous resets we see "Satella" hasn't met him at the start, and the initial daughter finding was with her.
                          Thought it might've been some kind of inconsistency, but now that I think of it, it does seem really strange....like how did Satella know where to go, tracking down Felt?

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                            Feels like there may be hints at something more complicated here. At least the apple seller being thankful for finding his daughter raises some questions. Did he do that off screen? Is it something that seemingly happens before his reset point? At least in one of the previous resets we see "Satella" hasn't met him at the start, and the initial daughter finding was with her.
                            Thought it might've been some kind of inconsistency, but now that I think of it, it does seem really strange....like how did Satella know where to go, tracking down Felt?
                            It was a curious thing, that the fruit seller's daughter was "saved" by another broke boy in the latest restart of events. Perhaps that is what was meant to happen in the first place, but somehow Subaru messed it up with his appearance. When he did not immediately move anywhere but just stayed near the fruit seller for a while, the original course of events, some other broke boy finding the lost daughter, was restored.

As for how Satella wound up at the loot house, I'm assuming that Reinhard found her and when she was told not to go anywhere near the loot house, that is exactly where she decided to go.
                            Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                            Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                            Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

This continues to be quite good. As to the "broke boy" helping the fruit seller's daughter, I don't think that's what the subtitles said, that they didn't specify a gender, so I thought he might have been talking about "Satella", with her having done it on her own. The early meeting with Elsa was interesting. So far, this is shaping up as the best show of the season.
                              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X