X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2016] My Hero Academia Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    僕のヒーローアカデミア

A show about kids going to a school to become superheroes.

Airs: Sunday, April 3, 2016 (season 1), Saturday, April 1, 2017 (season 2), Saturday, April 7, 2018 (season 3)

Studio: Bones

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation/Crunchyroll

What's a hero? For Izuku Midoriya, the answer to that question has always been simple: "Everything I want to be!" And who is the ultimate hero? Well, the legendary All Might, of course. All Might is the number one ranked hero and also the "Symbol of Peace" in the world. Not in his wildest dreams could Izuku have imagined that he would soon cross paths with his childhood hero...

In Boku no Hero Academia, status is governed by "Quirks"—unique superpowers which develop in childhood. But, unfortunately, hero otaku Midoriya "Deku" Izuku never had a Quirk. That is, until he met All Might, the greatest hero of all time.

Izuku's transformation from dreamer to superhero begins at Yuuei Academy, the top-ranked hero-training high school in Japan. Izuku is on cloud nine when he's accepted to this prestigious academy, especially when he finds out that All Might is one of the teachers. What surprises does this mighty academy offer? And will Izuku be able to keep up with his elite classmates?

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 04-09-2018, 12:45 AM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

No Quirk, no problem.

It begins with a history lesson about how superpowers came to be, and Izuku is taking notes about everything related to heroes. He was inspired to be one by watching All Might in action. While he's determined to be a hero, there's just one problem in that he has no Quirk. So on his way home, he is attacked and saved by All Might and that got him to become a hero. That sure was a great way to start this to explain Izuku's background like that, and All Might reaching out to those without Quirks that being a hero is all about willpower, and it doesn't take special powers to become one. I had been hyped up for this show, and the first episode sure did justify it.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I was underwhelmed by the first eppie. Maybe the hilarity of One Punch Man is casting too large of a shadow, but I want my super hero shows to be really funny and this one is coming up short so far, imo. By the end of the eppie I was thoroughly bored of the "zowie, little old ordinary me sure wants to be a hero!" thing which does not bode well for my long term engagement. I'll give this a few more episodes, but if it doesn't improve, I will have a natural drop which in this busy season, I kind of need.

Comment

So this is about a world where superpowers are common place. It is a typical "weakling becomes strong and/or badass" story, but the weakling in question here is weak on a different level. He doesn't have superpowers unlike most kids his age, yet he wants to be a hero.

Lol everyone started taking pictures of that giant ass. Lol All Might doing a toothpaste commercial. The comedy was good overall.

All Might is a skinny little wimpy looking guy when he isn't in muscular form. And in muscular form he's the strongest hero out there.

The episode didn't feel anything too special overall. Story-wise I'm not sure if this can be something special. The artwork was good overall. The All Might punch was cool. This had some good moments, but nothing too extraordinary or anything.
        My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

This was hyped as something big, so I am a little disappointed by how average it is in the first episode. Hopefully it does start to live up to that some more.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

The concept of the series is nice (even if the protagonist at 4 years old is actually nightmare fuel). That being said I think the issue here is how they're going to resolve the lead's weakness. There are basically only 2 ways to do it.

1. He has a power, it just develops later. The advantage here is the concept you can be a later bloomer, but the downside is that he just becomes another person with a quirk.

2. He learns magic, martial arts, etc. Basically some type of outside power to balance the lack of a natural power. *Waits for someone to mention the power of technology or the power of being rich aka Batman.

OK, you can divided these into smaller sub categories, but they cover the basics. Honestly not sure what direction they will go in for this. But for me, I would actually like to see the second route as it can be amusing for me to see happen.
            "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
            Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

There is also the Iris Zero option.

3. He learns that not having a quirk allows him to see things and do things that someone with a quirk can't because they all rely so heavily on their special abilities they can't see a "normal" solution.

Comment

Judging by the preview, this is clearly one of those episodes which doesn't stand on its own. We're still in the middle of an Origin story, and I'll withhold judgment until that story arc has finished.
                My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

All Might ain't almighty, but he's still mighty.

It turns out that All Might has severe limitations to his power as he can only be a hero for three hours a day, and then he becomes skinny and frail thanks to a gunshot wound from five years ago. Because Izuku kept on distracting All Might that he dropped the bottle, and Katsuki kicked it to unleash the sewage monster once again. But despite everything being said about how someone without a Quirk can't be a hero, Izuku still goes in to try and beat that thing, and that inspires All Might to push his limits to defeat it for good. That was pretty good seeing that all heroes have their limits, but at the same time any dream can become reality. Izuku sure is determined to fight evil, and for that he's a work of inspiration. Next time, his hero training begins.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

The first episode wasn't that special – it showed potential but wasn't that good apart from the comedy. This episode was much better.

I thought All Might being a skinny man would be used to encourage Midoriya, but they used it to further discourage him. All Might told the kid to face reality – being a hero isn't something everyone can do. He told him that it would be pretty much impossible for him to become a hero without a quirk so he might as well become a policeman or something. After getting hit with the harsh truth by a doctor, and then getting discouraged by his mother and getting looked down on by his childhood friend, he is now further discouraged by his favorite hero.

The slime monster escapes and takes fire boy hostage. All Might can't fight because he has a limit as to how long he can be in his muscular form because of an injury. Midoriya acts on impulse and runs towards the slime monster to try and save fire boy. All Might sees that a loser like Midoriya with no quirk is doing what he should be doing. And that makes All Might enter his muscular form and go and save the kid.

All Might then tells Midoriya that he has what it takes to be a hero. After being discouraged by basically everyone, this is the first time someone told him not to give up hope. He wanted at least his mother to say some words of encouragement even if she couldn't do anything – just telling a kid that it'll all he alright is sometimes more than enough. Midoriya didn't even get that which is why this made him cry. That was quick the scene.

Now Midoriya will start some physical training under All Might. This is getting better now.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

This was definitely the episode that showed the heart of the show, and it's a little more promising as a result. It couldn't be a more traditional underdog setup, but it looks like it will work. Izuku has the worst luck and also the best; while he's one of the only people with no powers at all, he's also poised to become the protege of the greatest hero of all, who has a surprising weakness of his own. But it's nice to see how good a guy he is.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

All that training is paying off.

Sensing great potential in Izuku, All Might puts him through ten months of extreme training to build muscles so that he could clear out the beach, and he does just that having finished the task the morning of the UA entrance exam. On the exam day, the test takers engage in a mock battle to destroy three types of monster (and a fourth type they should avoid fighting if they can), and Izuku gets helped out by Ochaco, which is a big deal seeing that he doesn't get along with girls. That was a great way of developing Izuku's character here and turning him from a wimp who can't stand up for himself into a well-built guy ready to take on the world. Next time, it's the exam.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

So All Might reveals a secret that his power can be transferred to someone else. He got his power from someone else who got it from someone else and so on. And he proposes to give his power to Midoriya. But Midoriya doesn't have the required strength needed to sustain all that power which means that he needs to train his body, and he has to do it in 10 months before the entrance exam for U.A. And he manages to complete the beach cleaning mission in time. He did it on his own using his own strength and no superpowers. And All Might tells him to eat his hair to get the DNA for the power.

I can't help but feel that something is fishy here about All Might's secret. I'm inclined towards believing that All Might made up that power inheritance story and Midoriya didn't get any power or anything. Either that, or All Might's power only gives him a minor power boost. Or it takes quite a lot of time for the power of kick in. And Midoriya clears the exam and stuff with his own powers.

Lol Midoriya talked to a girl on the exam day who also saved him from tripping. What a way to start the day lol. Ochaco is cute though.

This was a good episode. Midoriya accomplished something without any superpowers which showed his determination to become a hero. And he's not just planning on being a hero, he wants to become the best hero ever. And he showed this desire when he did not have any powers. And to further show his determination, he didn't follow All Might's training plan, instead, he went a few steps ahead and ended up overworking himself.

Now to see how Midoriya passes this test.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Montage! But of course.

Getting to be more fun, and All Might definitely isn't telling the full story. I wonder if there are reasons beyond what we know that he feels the need to dedicate himself so fully to training Izuku. It seems like this should be cutting into his actual hero time.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

There's a lot more to heroics than just kicking ass.

The mock battle exam is on, and Izuku is totally overwhelmed as the fellow heroes are beating up all the enemies leaving Izuku with nothing to fight. Then comes the hulking menace that the heroes were told to avoid, but with Ochaco in harm's way that Izuku couldn't ignore it. So he puts his training to use to save her and the exam ends with Izuku scoring zero points. But there's another aspect to the exam that the examinees weren't told about as there are also rescue points involved, and Izuku got the highest score in that category to pass the entrance exam, while All Might has been hired on to be one of the teachers at UA. That was great to see Izuku coming through in the clutch there as to him, being a hero is all about doing the right thing when there's somebody in danger, and not just beating up villains as the exam was designed to do. Very impressive episode that was, and now Izuku begins life at the academy.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X