X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2016] She and Her Cat -Everything Flows- Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    彼女と彼女の猫 -Everything Flows-

The third 4-episode series of the season airing in the CoMixWave Films slot of Ultra Super Anime Time, based on the short film by Shinkai Makoto.

First Aired: Friday, March 4

Studio: Liden Films Kyoto Studio

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Fandom Post News & Reviews

Note
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

Episode 1

I actually saw this episode several days ago, but there's still no thread, so catching this up now...

This turned out to be a rather nice emotional iyashikei series. I have not seen the original from Shinkai, though maybe a chance to watch will pop up when Crunchyroll has another Shinkai day. This series is not directed by Shinkai himself, but rather interestingly is the debut (in the kantoku position) of former KyoAni animator and episode director Sakamoto Kazuya.

The scenes of uncertainty with her job search and living situation had the biggest impact in the first episode. That kind of thing hits hard as it also has done in other series like Genshiken and Shirobako.
    Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 03-11-2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Episode 2

So it turns out that "she" didn't actually take to Daru that well in the beginning. Appears to have been a rough time in her life too, with her dad having passed away and having to transfer to a new school. So adorably, tearjerkingly sweet to see Daru ended up being the catalyst to making a friend, and we know it's a long friendship too as it's the same girl she got to be roommates with in the first episode.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

It's a little weird to have the new version of Shinkai's debut not actually have Shinkai involved, but it clearly still has his sensibilities without such an overwhelming flood of his signature moves. I like it. First short I like since Tonari no Seki-kun. I guess seven minutes works for me when used well.

Definitely felt empathy for the plot of this one.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I wonder what her age at each of these points is. She has to be at least 18 in the first episode, and I assume in primary school (so 6-12, I guess) based on her appearance, randoseru, etc. in this one. So Daru is probably at least 10. I had a cat who was something like 15 and looked the same as it did once it wasn't totally a kitten anymore, so it works to have Daru remain basically the same for a long time.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I just started watching this show totally forgetting that Makoto Shinkai is the one who did this show (and hence reason for me to believe that this would turn out better than shorts typically tend to be). Anyway, it's quite amusing to listen in on the life between a pet and its owner through the perspective of the pet, and in this case a black cat. Daru's owner sure has been through quite a lot of things in life and while things may not be going her way, at the very least she has Daru to cozy up to. Certainly this sets the stage for emotions to fly, which is exactly what Shinkai is known for doing.
            MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
            Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
            Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

And now, Daru recalls the time he met his owner, and while they eventually became best buddies, it didn't exactly start out that way. He wasn't adopted under the best of circumstances seeing that the owner's father passed away and she changed schools. He was even abandoned once before the owner had second thoughts about her decisions and from there, her life turned around just like that. She still struggles, but at the very least her outlook on life has improved. That was quite tearjerking to say the least.
              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                I wonder what her age at each of these points is. She has to be at least 18 in the first episode
                Her mom says her graduation is coming up in the first episode, and going by the story section on the official website, it's a junior college she's graduating from. So she's probably in her early 20's there.

Comment

I've been enjoying this block of anime shorts, including of course this title. Very funny how the cat thinks he understand her, but misinterprets things, yet at the end of the day they actually are on the same page.

Comment

Yes, this has been nice. When I watched the first episode last week it felt like something that could fit in Anno's AnimatorExpo project (assuming some memorable song was tied into it). Which is a good thing, I suppose, that the broadcast short format is seeing things that feel as experimental. (The first short of this block this season, Tabi Machi Late Show, was already quite different from the norm, even while using familiar story ideas.)

And they've certainly got the cat behavior down in the animation.
                    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                    Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                    Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Episode 3

Growing up ain't easy as both the cat and the girl are finding out. At least they still have each other, but Daru is getting old, and pretty soon she won't have him around any longer. Daru experienced separation before as his family was a happy one, but then stuff happened and everybody ran away in a panic. That was just beautiful how things played out here seeing that Daru is seeing his owner less and less everyday with the owner hard at work trying to be self-sufficient.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Interesting to get some of Daru's past before his time with the main character, and a rather tragic one of that. And yet more emotional moments with "she" as we find out the reason she was so insistent on living on her own.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

I care about her way more than Daru, but it was interesting to get a bit more background on him as well, and an indication that despite his youthful appearance (which, as I mentioned last time, is certainly believable), he is getting on in years. The part of the episode about her was still more compelling, though.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4 (Finale)

The owner's name is Miyu, and in the end Daru dies of old age, but at least he was able to get in one more joyful moment before passing away. And while Miyu is saddened by Daru's passing, she is approaching life a lot more optimistically than she did before taking care of Daru. In the end, she finds another cat and while he can't completely replace Daru, it did fill a hole in her heart. I knew that Daru was going to die in the end, but the way Shinkai presented it is very nice.

Overall, this show is Makoto Shinkai doing what he does best, and while it isn't exactly the most emotional show that he has made, it's well-constructed to make us feel for the cat and his owner. Given the limited run time, this show has a simple story that allows it to accomplish what it had set itself out to do. That said, there could have been more depth to the story, and seeing that it is just four eight-minute episodes that it was going to be hard to do, but in the end Shinkai got his message across loud and clear.

MAL Rating: ********--

Comment

Re: Episode 4 (Finale)

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                              The owner's name is Miyu, and in the end Daru dies of old age, but at least he was able to get in one more joyful moment before passing away. And while Miyu is saddened by Daru's passing, she is approaching life a lot more optimistically than she did before taking care of Daru. In the end, she finds another cat and while he can't completely replace Daru, it did fill a hole in her heart. I knew that Daru was going to die in the end, but the way Shinkai presented it is very nice.

Overall, this show is Makoto Shinkai doing what he does best, and while it isn't exactly the most emotional show that he has made, it's well-constructed to make us feel for the cat and his owner. Given the limited run time, this show has a simple story that allows it to accomplish what it had set itself out to do. That said, there could have been more depth to the story, and seeing that it is just four eight-minute episodes that it was going to be hard to do, but in the end Shinkai got his message across loud and clear.

MAL Rating: ********--
                              Shinkai voiced the white cat at the end. That was the limit to his engagement with this particular production outside of financial royalties as the original creator.
                              "It'd be great if you could call me by the katakana pronunciation."
                              "The kanji pronunciation is the same as the katakana one."
                              Posting thoughts, reviews, and personal favorites at my personal blog.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X