Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2016] TFP's Anime List Project #19: Favorite Parody

Widgets Magazine
    Welcome to the 19th edition of The Fandom Post Anime List Project. Where TFP readers can suggest and vote on lists for a wide array of anime-related topics, often relating to the current anime season.

The poll for the last topic, Best Transported-to-World Anime, is above. Please select up to but no more than five (5) options! Voting on this poll is open through Saturday, February 6th.

And the winners of the last poll, 2016 Predictions:

5.) Right Stuf/Nozomi Entertainment will license Tamayura: More Aggressive / Funimation will release a Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Collectors Edition
    4.) Sentai Filmworks will license Encouragement of Climb
    3.) One Punch Main will join the Toonami line-up
    2.) Not one male MC will have sex with a single harem member in 2016
    1.) Right Stuf will announce/release more titles on blu-ray

And next: Favorite Parody! Not just shows/movies where there's some parody or satire here of there along with other kinds of comedy or commentary, but where it's really most of the point of what it's doing. What that is is poking fun at or ridiculing or making some sort of commentary about a subject that had otherwise and previously been done more seriously. (For instance, the inspiration for this topic, this season's popular Konosuba, is a parody of anime based on RPGs as well as otaku-themed tropes.)

Please reply to this root post with up to five (5) nominations. Nominations are open through Saturday, February 6th.

(If you have a topic suggestion, please feel free to post that here, as well.)

Thanks!
    The Ambition of Oda Nobuna
    2.61%
    Angel Beats!
    6.96%
    Aura Battler Dunbine
    0.87%
    Bleach
    0.87%
    The Cat Returns
    0.87%
    Death Parade
    3.48%
    The Devil is a Part-Timer!
    1.74%
    The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
    7.83%
    Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure
    6.09%
    El Hazard
    6.09%
    Escaflowne
    4.35%
    Fushigi Yugi - The Mysterious Play
    3.48%
    Gate
    2.61%
    Haibane Renmei
    5.22%
    Inuyasha
    4.35%
    Kyousougiga
    1.74%
    Log Horizon
    6.09%
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    1.74%
    Negima! Another World
    0.00%
    No Game, No Life
    7.83%
    Now and Then, Here and There
    0.87%
    Outbreak Company
    0.87%
    Overlord
    0.87%
    Spirited Away
    8.70%
    Steins; Gate
    3.48%
    Sword Art Online
    0.00%
    Tenchi Muyo!
    2.61%
    Tweeny Witches
    0.87%
    The Twelve Kingdoms
    5.22%
    Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer
    1.74%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by bctaris; 01-30-2016, 01:49 AM.
    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
    Please Support The Fandom Post

Re: TFP's Anime List Project #19: Favorite Parody

Konosuba
    Cromartie High School
    Hacka Doll
    No-Rin
    Space Dandy

Comment

One Punch Man
      Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun
      Seitokai no Ichizon
      My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Hmm... Parody?

Martian Successor Nadesico
        The World God Only Knows
        Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun

..can't think of any more I'd nominate at this point. I can think of plenty I feel 'make a few parodies', but not as a central theme
        Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
        Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

I am guessing Gintama does not count? What about Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi? Pani Poni Dash? Magical Witch Punie-chan?

Comment

Originally posted by smashwagon View Post
            I am guessing Gintama does not count? What about Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi? Pani Poni Dash? Magical Witch Punie-chan?
            Why do you have to list titles I either haven't seen, or haven't seen in a long time and can't remember? Punie-chan kind of is...but like all of these, others' opinions/debate is requested, please.

Like the last topic, I'm open to re-characterizations; though when it comes to forms of comedy/satire I have a much better sense of "I know it when I see it."

Comment

Puni Puni Poemy

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                Why do you have to list titles I either haven't seen, or haven't seen in a long time and can't remember? Punie-chan kind of is...but like all of these, others' opinions/debate is requested, please.

Like the last topic, I'm open to re-characterizations; though when it comes to forms of comedy/satire I have a much better sense of "I know it when I see it."
                I think a lot of it is about "What is it parodying"... if that's an impossible question, then it's not a parody.

For instance, I considered Hayate the Combat Butler. I absolutely love that show (obviously) but despite it making many references to other things, and sometimes going as far as parodying them, I wouldn't say that parody is it's key plot or meaning for existing, so I didn't nominate it. TWGOK on the other hand is quite heavily leaning on it's dating-sim routes.
                Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
                Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

Ebiten
                  Kujibiki Unbalance - at least the version shown in Genshiken.
                  I kinda want to say Aria the Scarlet Ammo just because it might be best viewed as half-heartedly parodying many of Kugimiya Rei's roles before it. But I know it doesn't fit the spirit.

I'd say Magical Witch Punie-chan is parody.
                  I'm on the fence about Abenobashi and Pani Poni Dash. Thought they have a lot of parody in them, to wonderful effect, it isn't central.
                  Last edited by wagr; 01-30-2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Pani Poni Dash was the first one I thought of. I agree the parodies aren't central but that's a compliment -- the characters are amusing even when not parodying anything in particular. Lu lu lu ....

Excel Saga was a lot of fun and also chock full of parody.

Comment

Originally posted by Jun Kuga View Post

I think a lot of it is about "What is it parodying"... if that's an impossible question, then it's not a parody.
                      That's about the sum of it, yeah. There is, rarely, some obscure parody in anime that's not as obvious to some, like bureaucracy, or the salary-man world, as with elements of Active Raid this season, or far back with Legend of Black Heaven, or most series about the police (YUA, Patlabor). But I wouldn't consider any of those primarily as "parodies," straight up. (Does make me think of Servant x Service, however...)

For instance, I considered Hayate the Combat Butler. I absolutely love that show (obviously) but despite it making many references to other things, and sometimes going as far as parodying them, I wouldn't say that parody is it's key plot or meaning for existing, so I didn't nominate it. TWGOK on the other hand is quite heavily leaning on it's dating-sim routes.
                      And that's not a bad comparison right there. A series that's built on a world meant specifically to evoke familiar tropes and character types, but without making a specific comment or conclusion about any of it. And a series that is also built on existing and familiar ideas, but in order to explicitly point them out to, in this case, have fun with them (negatively, satirically, criticizing them is the other side; TWGOK might certainly be more on the light parody side of things than a more critical satire). That spectrum is worth considering if thinking about, say, many of the "chuunibyou" series, like Inou-Battle, which ultimately unbalanced its surprising moments of sharp satire with an earnest embrace of its target. (No Game No Life, on the NEET subject, for instance, felt more balanced between championing its subject and sending up its absurdities. Then again, Inou-Battle does have that one rant...)

I'd sort of, in this light, discuss Space Dandy. Parody makes up a good proportion of its episodes, but not all of them--I'm not even sure how many (have to look it all up again). The overarching "plot" is slightly parodic as well, I suppose, though. Even down to the regular recurring elements, like the infamous Boobies.

Originally posted by wagr View Post
                      Kujibiki Unbalance - at least the version shown in Genshiken.
                      More good juxtaposition. The original OVA is pure, 100% parody. The TV, while still populated by all of the parodic references, is earnest embrace, ultimately making its main point the actual story, not what that story was originally meant to parody.

Comment

I'd sort of, in this light, discuss Space Dandy. Parody makes up a good proportion of its episodes, but not all of them--I'm not even sure how many (have to look it all up again). The overarching "plot" is slightly parodic as well, I suppose, though. Even down to the regular recurring elements, like the infamous Boobies.
                        Yeah, I kind of had some reservations on this, and given the qualifiers defined, it probably doesn't exactly fit as a parody in its entirety. Since Space Dandy might not count, I'll replace it with Daimidaler, which parodies the giant robot genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                          Yeah, I kind of had some reservations on this, and given the qualifiers defined, it probably doesn't exactly fit as a parody in its entirety. Since Space Dandy might not count, I'll replace it with Daimidaler, which parodies the giant robot genre.
                          Space Dandy still might count, I don't know. But I think I see it first as an experimental animation anthology that's doing all sorts of things, not singularly parody.

So I've been thinking about the things on the borders of parody, the real tricky ones. Like, what do you do with Samurai Flamenco? It's deliberately mixing and confusing parody, satire, and earnest embrace and championing of its subject (super heroes). It progresses from one to the other, but then jumps back and forth all the way to the end so you're never really sure what it was really doing. (Which, as time's gone on, makes it seem more brilliant. C'mon AoA, stop sitting on it.)

Comment

Space Dandy still might count, I don't know. But I think I see it first as an experimental animation anthology that's doing all sorts of things, not singularly parody.

So I've been thinking about the things on the borders of parody, the real tricky ones. Like, what do you do with Samurai Flamenco? It's deliberately mixing and confusing parody, satire, and earnest embrace and championing of its subject (super heroes). It progresses from one to the other, but then jumps back and forth all the way to the end so you're never really sure what it was really doing. (Which, as time's gone on, makes it seem more brilliant. C'mon AoA, stop sitting on it.)
                            Hah! Samurai Flamenco was the other one that lost out to Space Dandy regarding this issue. :D I don't know. I'm definitely getting it though, so yeah, AoA, get cracking on the release.

Comment

Deadline for last topic's poll and the new topic's nominations ends Saturday, the 6th.

My own rules for this one are a little tough, limiting to things that are primarily parody instead of only in parts... But, anyway.

I notice we're careful about selecting things that are too recent, or airing now, but I'll go ahead and second Konosuba and last year's Hackadoll. As well as the older Kujibiki Unbalance OVA.

I'll add:

Wake Up Girl ZOO! (Because parodying your own parent show and its genre at the same time is brilliant--when it's done like this. Have to be as wicked as ZOO was; just putting your characters in middle school with cute references to milk your already wealthy franchise doesn't cut it.)

Have to think on another. There are some much older things, like Shinesman, but I wouldn't really consider it a "favorite." (And haven't seen it in 15 years probably.)

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X