Widgets Magazine

TFP's Anime List Project #18: Best Transported to Another World Anime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2016] TFP's Anime List Project #18: Best Transported to Another World Anime

Widgets Magazine
    Welcome to the 18th edition of The Fandom Post Anime List Project. Where TFP readers can suggest and vote on lists for a wide array of anime-related topics, often relating to the current anime season.

(Lists/Polls will be bi-weekly now, though apologies for getting this first one on that schedule off to a somewhat late start.)

The poll for last week's topic, 2016 Predictions, is above. Please select up to but no more than five (5) options! Voting on this poll is open through mid-day Saturday, January 23rd.

And the winners of the last poll, Most Memorable Scene of 2015:

5.) Non Non Biyori Repeat, ep. 4: Renge's Picture Diary
    4.) Your Lie in April, ep. 22: Kaori's Letter
    3.) Overlord, ep. 9: Clementine's Fight and Fate
    2.) Shimoneta, ep. 5: Anna's Cookies
    1.) Shirobako, ep. 23: Aoi's Emotional Reaction

And next: Best Transported-to-Another-World Anime. A classic old genre in fiction, at least as old as A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, I suppose. But this was a popular idea in 90's anime, to be sure, and is the central concept behind the in-vogue trapped-in-a-game shows today, and with at least a couple more new entries in the genre this season (and the return of another) it's a good time to ask. So any series/movie where the characters are transported, in one way or another, to a different world or reality or universe or time than the one they know.

Please reply to this root post with up to five (5) nominations. Nominations are open through Saturday, January 23rd.

(If you have a topic suggestion, please feel free to post that here, as well.)

Thanks!
    Aniplex of America will cease DVD-only releases
    1.61%
    Funimation will release a Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Collectors Edition
    8.06%
    Multiple harem anime will be released for broadcast on TV/satellite
    4.84%
    Not one male MC will have sex with a single harem member in 2016
    14.52%
    One Punch Main will join the Toonami line-up
    9.68%
    PonyCanyon will do away with the tall dodeka cases
    3.23%
    Right Stuf will announce/release more titles on blu-ray
    20.97%
    Right Stuf/Nozomi Entertainment will license Tamayura: More Aggressive
    8.06%
    School-Live! will get an English dub
    3.23%
    Section23 will re-solicit Azumanga Daioh as a Sentai Select title
    11.29%
    Sentai Filmworks will license Encouragement of Climb
    8.06%
    Streaming vendors will collude to release more content!
    4.84%
    Zegapain finally sees a domestic BD release
    1.61%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by bctaris; 01-16-2016, 02:27 PM.
    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
    Please Support The Fandom Post

Re: TFP's Anime List Project #18: Best Transported to Another World Anime

The Twelve Kingdoms
    Tenchi Muyo!
    Escaflowne
    Steins; Gate (replacing El Hazard)
    Spirited Away
    Last edited by Sensuifu; 01-17-2016, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Spirited Away
      The Cat Returns
      The Devil is a Part-Timer
      Outbreak Company
      No Game No Life

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
        The Twelve Kingdoms
        Escaflowne
        El Hazard
        Spirited Away
        I'll second those & add this one:

Fushigi Yugi-The Mysterious Play
        Last edited by Jimmie M; 01-16-2016, 02:50 PM. Reason: Correction-Thanks, bctaris!
        Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Miyuki Kobayakawa & Natsumi Tsujimoto (You're Under Arrest!)
        FilmAF / MAL /Games / Figures
        Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie M View Post
          The Twelve Kingdoms
          Tenchi Muyo!
          Escaflowne
          El Hazard
          Spirited Away
          I'll second those & add this one:

Fushigi Yugi-The Mysterious Play
          Per our most egregious rules, I can only have you second four of those selections from Sensuifu, Jimmie.

Comment

For now, I have three nominations that will be among my five for sure:

Fushigi Yuugi
            Log Horizon
            No Game, No Life

I'll think about the other two at some other point in time. But for the time being I have these three picks.
            MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
            Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
            Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

The Twelve Kingdoms
              Fushigi Yugi
              Now and Then, Here and There
              Magic Knight Rayearth
              Aura Battler Dunbine

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                Per our most egregious rules, I can only have you second four of those selections from Sensuifu, Jimmie.
                Done (Didn't realize my error until you pointed it out). Thanks!

Originally posted by _PS_ View Post
                Now and Then, Here and There
                Magic Knight Rayearth
                Great choices. I should've thought of MKR myself since it's one of my all-time favorite shows but I'm glad you remembered it, _PS_.
                Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Miyuki Kobayakawa & Natsumi Tsujimoto (You're Under Arrest!)
                FilmAF / MAL /Games / Figures
                Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

No Game No Life
                  Overlord
                  Death Parade
                  My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Originally posted by Yamada2 View Post
                    Death Parade
                    I was going to nominate this, but thought it wouldn't count in the traditional sense of characters being 'transported' :D Cool if it does though.

Comment

Originally posted by _PS_ View Post
                      Aura Battler Dunbine
                      〽Aura Road ga Hirakareta~♪

Comment

This topic has too many good ones. Maybe that says something about my need for escape. And, just where do we draw the line: What if the show starts with the character in another world, so didn't exactly get transported there? Shows were a character can cross between worlds?

I'll interpret it my own way to make my top 5:
                        Angel Beats!
                        Haibane Renmei
                        Kamichu!
                        Spirited Away
                        Twelve Kingdoms

I wish I could also include (one's not listed already by me or above):
                        Ambition of Oda Nobuna
                        Children Who Chase Lost Voices
                        Legend of Black Heaven
                        Munto, if I count the first movie with travel in the second, though I wouldn't use the TV series to consider voting on it.
                        Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?
                        Tokyo Underground
                        Tsubasa
                        Tweeny Witches
                        And, would Voices of a Distant Star count?
                        Zegapain

Comment

Originally posted by wagr View Post

Zegapain
                          Wanted to mention this too, but like Death Parade, I thought this fell into the realm where the characters aren't 'transported' per se...more like they're 'transitioned'. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Yamada2 View Post
                            Death Parade
                            I was going to nominate this, but thought it wouldn't count in the traditional sense of characters being 'transported' :D Cool if it does though.
                            I was going to immediately say yes, but we'll go through some reasoning...

Originally posted by wagr View Post
                            This topic has too many good ones. Maybe that says something about my need for escape. And, just where do we draw the line: What if the show starts with the character in another world, so didn't exactly get transported there? Shows were a character can cross between worlds?

I'll interpret it my own way to make my top 5:
                            Angel Beats!
                            Haibane Renmei
                            Kamichu!
                            Spirited Away
                            Twelve Kingdoms
                            The recent trapped-in-a-game stories are obviously like that, where characters start in that world (even if, in this season's Grimgar, they don't remember where they came from). But the concept that there was some sort of "transportation" between worlds (either physical, parallel, or in time) is still present. From your list, AB, HR, Spirited Away, and TK of course, are good. Kamichu I might need to draw the line for, because though she does go between the physical and spiritual world, it's not central to the story. Noragami would be in the same boat.

With that reasoning:

I wish I could also include (one's not listed already by me or above):
                            Ambition of Oda Nobuna
                            Children Who Chase Lost Voices
                            Legend of Black Heaven
                            Munto, if I count the first movie with travel in the second, though I wouldn't use the TV series to consider voting on it.
                            Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?
                            Tokyo Underground
                            Tsubasa
                            Tweeny Witches
                            And, would Voices of a Distant Star count?
                            Zegapain
                            I don't know all the titles intimately, but for instance, for Black Heaven, it's not integral (until the last arc), so no.

But it is an interesting discussion for how the idea disseminates. I wouldn't have thought of Haibane Renmei, for instance, but that's legit. And on that note, to get back to the beginning: I think Death Parade is eligible, too.

Comment

Of ones already mentioned, I'm definitely on board with The Ambition of Oda Nobuna, The Devil is a Part-Timer!, Log Horizon, and Death Parade.

I'll add to all these: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.
                              Last edited by Hitsugi Amachi; 01-17-2016, 07:38 PM.
                              Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                              Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                              Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X