X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2016] BBK/BRNK Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ブブキ・ブランキ

A show about kids wielding weapons that have a mind of their own, all while the MC is looking for a certain titan to prove that he's no son of a mass murdering witch.

Airs: Saturday, January 9, July 2016 (second cour)

Studio: Sanzigen

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Returning to Japan after having been away for 10 years, Azuma Kazuki finds himself attacked and captured by armed strangers. What saves him is his childhood friend, the girl Ōgon Asabuki, and the Bubuki that had become her right hand.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 01-09-2016, 02:56 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

He's no son of a witch.

The first half sets up the background as titans known as Burankis were laying waste to Azuma's homeland. So he, his sister, and his father went to Japan while his mother stayed behind. Ten years later, Azuma is a wanted man because his mother was framed for being a mass murderer and it's up to him to find his mother's Buranki to clear her name. That's a pretty interesting story there, though in the present it just goes straight to the action without really explaining how he got to know the kids he's fighting alongside. It's off to a decent enough start, and the action is pretty good. Seeing that Sanzigen is known for their CG that this that a lot of the show is done in CG, but it doesn't look as ugly as CG shows generally do. So with that, I'll stick around for a bit before deciding on this show.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Truthfully the CG character models don't look too bad in of themselves. Unfortunately, everyone moves incredibly awkwardly and the low frame count used in anime becomes extremely apparent with CG. That's too bad as the rest of the episode, and especially the first half, was pretty neat. I wanted to get into this more, but the general CG awkwardness kept drawing me out of the episode.
      Avatar: Pariya from Otoyomegatari.

Comment

This was somewhat interesting, the first half at least. The Kazuki family lived on a floating piece of land way above earth and, apart from the father, they all have some sort of power. The mother could control a robot or something to fight these big-ass monsters called Burankis. Thanks to the little girl, they had to evacuate. The mother sent them down in a Buranki which caused widespread destruction.

The mother is treated as a witch and evil person after all that happened. And Azuma wants to tell the world that this isn't true. He has some friends with this bubuki thing which is most probably made from Burankis. And now the kids are being stopped because the red haired woman knows their plan.

This had some interesting moments. The first half was nice but the second half was lacking a bit. The CG looks nice for most of the part I guess. I'm gonna stick around for maybe another episode to see what this has to offer.
        My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

The CG is definitely the biggest thing against this show. It doesn't look as egregiously hideous as plenty of anime, but it definitely has its problems.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I was totally charmed by the first half, despite the weirdness of the CG, but it didn't quite hold up in the second half. I'll keep going because it's interesting enough for that - I want to know what happened to Kaoruko - but, man, is it ugly.

Comment

I'm deeply amused by the CG complaints, when that's hardly the issue with this show. Doing the all-but-the-kitchen-sink routine of throwing anything "cool" or weird into this and hoping it somehow gels together on image alone is just a mess. It's not that the story's nonsensical or incoherent--it's pretty basic underneath, I imagine--it's just that it doesn't seem like the point of this. At all. But I'm probably way too old to find anything here interesting.

As for the CG character stuff, it's not about the animation itself looking bad at all (unless you're fundamentally biased against the concept), it's the character design. It's always about integration of CG, not the technique itself. The kids in the first half were terribly proportioned, their father was from a whole different model sheet, and the mother from another one again. The second half, introducing everyone else, seemed more aligned with itself, but all the baddies looked so silly, and the heroes so generic, that the animation may have seemed more apparent--in a bad way--than it should have. But I blame designers and writers here, not the guys working their butts off trying to get CG animation in this style as seamless as possible.
              Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
              Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
              Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Yeah, the CG is miles better than some other things I could name. It actually took me a beat initially to notice that it indeed was. Some bits really stood out to me that this stuff is going to be really good one day and I'm not going to mind it. But we're not there yet. The introduction of Dad was the first time it really threw me out - it felt like he was a 90s video game character I was struggling to control.

Comment

Episode 2

It takes five to think as one.

The buranki belonging to Azuma's mother comes down, and it's so huge that it takes five people with a united will to use it to its full potential. Reoko, who is actually 40 years old and is in the body of a 16 year old girl, absolutely despises her for stopping the burankis from falling, and that's why she wants all traces of her, and her son included, to be wiped off the face of the universe. So in the end, the children were able to push back the threat, all while Reoko has collapsed from this. It seemed to me that Reoko was just another one of those psychos, but it looks like there's a lot more to her than meets the eye.

So with that, I'll give it another episode or two before deciding. The action is pretty good, but I find the story to be lacking ever since the second half of the first episode, all while the CG is another issue this show has.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I'm liking this show, but I'm irritated by the lack of mention of either Azuma's twin sister or his father. They all fell to Earth 10 years ago, so what happened to those two? Obviously we'll find out at some point, but it annoys me that that is being held back so far.

Comment

Episode 3

She beat her before. Will she have the opportunity to beat her again?

This episode is basically background information as the kids crash at Hirono's place after surviving their encounter with Entei. Azuma's mother defeated Reoko 24 years ago, which is when she stopped aging, but ten years ago she and Entei crashed onto Earth and that's when it all began as Reoko plotted her revenge. And it's no coincidence the these five kids were able to control the buranki as they belong to chosen families. And then Shusaku attacks, and he's the one who killed Kogane's father. So after a bunch of action, it's now setting up a stroy and explaining why Reoko is so determined to defeat the Kazuki family. Lots of interesting stuff going on here.

So with that, I'll give this show one more episode before making a decision. It's on the outside looking in, but I'll give it the full trial period.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

...and still no mention of Azuma's sister or father. Seriously, what the hell is up with that? Does anyone have any theories why they have ceased to be any kind of presence? I don't think Azuma's sister even appears in the OP or ED. Did the sister become Reoko maybe? As Buckeye noted above, Reoko and Entei crashed ten years ago, as well, which would have been the same time frame as Azuma and his apparently non-existent father and sister. At least this episode he actually mentioned having a family beyond just his mother. This lack of clarity over his Dad and sister is really starting to piss me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoia Gent View Post
                          ...and still no mention of Azuma's sister or father. Seriously, what the hell is up with that? Does anyone have any theories why they have ceased to be any kind of presence? I don't think Azuma's sister even appears in the OP or ED. Did the sister become Reoko maybe? As Buckeye noted above, Reoko and Entei crashed ten years ago, as well, which would have been the same time frame as Azuma and his apparently non-existent father and sister. At least this episode he actually mentioned having a family beyond just his mother. This lack of clarity over his Dad and sister is really starting to piss me off.
                          Me too. It doesn't feel teased, since there's no indication he misses them or cares where they went. If he knows what happened to them, he's known for a long time and doesn't think about it anymore... and if they're really not a factor, that's a shame because Kaoruko was a more interesting character than he is. I don't think she could be Reoko, though, because I think Mom fought Reoko before she went up into the sky and had kids. Didn't they say she'd been stuck as a sixteen-year-old for twenty-four years? Or a twenty-four-year-old for sixteen years? Either way, she's definitely older than sixteen herself.

I did enjoy Kogane: Beast Mode, though.

Comment

@ _PS_: I agree the age thing doesn't line up. I was thinking more along the lines that maybe the sister's spirit fused with Reoko or something funky. Really, I'm just grasping at straws as to why there's been no mention of two characters who seemed in episode 1 that they'd be important and have since de-materialized. I'm really frustrated/curious to see how long it's going to go before we find out what the deal is.

Comment

Episode 4

All aboard the buranki train.

Kogane is engaged in a one-on-one battle against Matobai where no other bubunkis can attack until the battle is decided. But even as Kogane struggles, she has the support of her allies as they use that to run him over. But he surrenders and now his pistol bubunki is useless as everybody heads towards the buranki land in the photo. The storytelling was pretty weak here, but the battle is really nice. While everybody was able to help Kogane there, unfortunately it means their cover is blown as the train can't go into stealth mode and as such, Souya attacks and Kinoa is dueling him.

So with that, the trial period is over and while the action is great, the storytelling, not so much. I have too many other shows I would rather watch this season, so that will probably be it.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X