Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Episode 9

Damn, tons of drama between just about every pair of characters you could imagine. And so two of those who have been rejected find each other and end up forming a future together, which results in one of the characters we've met in the time of the first episode. I'm sure Sukeroku loves hearing Miyokichi go on about Kiku while they're trying to make love. Ah well, they're all a broken bunch, and he certainly knew what he was getting himself into with her.
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 10

The show must go on.

Some time later since the last episode when Sukeroku moved away, Yakumo VII passes away, and while everybody wants Kiku to become Yakumo VIII, he doesn't feel worthy of the name. So he commits to making his own brand of rakugo, and struggles with his first performance since Yakumo's death and ends up taking time off to go and see Sukeroku. Even though Sukeroku insists that he isn't into rakugo anymore, he did pass his teaching onto a little kid. That left quite the emotional impact there all going to show just how insecure Kiku is, and perhaps what he needed was to connect with an old friend. Anyway, that was certainly a great way to develop Kiku here seeing that pressure to become worthy of being Yakumo VIII has really gotten to him.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
      Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 10

As soon as I heard Kobayashi's little girl voice coming out of there, I knew exactly what to expect. No matter how much a problem Kiku might have with some of the things those two have done, it's impossible not to love the result. It should be interesting to see how this reunion plays out.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 10

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
          The show must go on.

Some time later since the last episode when Sukeroku moved away, Yakumo VII passes away, and while everybody wants Kiku to become Yakumo VIII, he doesn't feel worthy of the name. So he commits to making his own brand of rakugo, and struggles with his first performance since Yakumo's death and ends up taking time off to go and see Sukeroku. Even though Sukeroku insists that he isn't into rakugo anymore, he did pass his teaching onto a little kid. That left quite the emotional impact there all going to show just how insecure Kiku is, and perhaps what he needed was to connect with an old friend. Anyway, that was certainly a great way to develop Kiku here seeing that pressure to become worthy of being Yakumo VIII has really gotten to him.
          I don't think Kiku struggled with his first performance. In fact, Shinigami ended up becoming one his best; Yotaro was drawn to him because of that particular work. Anyways, I've been marathoning this series since last week and I'm blown away. SGRS is by far the most original and captivating anime I've seen in years.

Comment

Episode 11

Return to rakugo.

That girl happens to be Sukeroku's daughter Konatsu, and Sukeroku has been living in depression not willing to work or do anything, so his daughter is being made to support the family. Seeing how sad his situation is that Kiku is determined to return to Tokyo with him doing rakugo, and won't return until he says yes. So Kiku does rakugo for Konatsu with one of Sukeroku's specialty works, and after hearing it, out comes Sukeroku having gotten back into theater. He still wants nothing to do with becoming Yakumo VIII, but his passion for rakugo has returned. That was great seeing Konatsu being such a capable girl and being very helpful in getting Sukeroku to rediscover his passion. Even though things have been quite uneasy, their friendship is still strong.
            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 11

Little Konatsu is way too adorable. Kiku and Sukeroku's duet was quite phenomenal once the latter joined in and reinvigorated the former. Sukeroku may be the more naturally gifted one, but it takes Kiku's return to essentially wake him from the dead. Miyokichi was waiting for him all this time as well, even while living with his best friend as a husband and father of her child. She just continues to becomes a more broken, cynical character with every piece of her story.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 12

Over the edge.

This show is called Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, and while the Showa (era the story is set in), Genroku (era the stories being told are set in), and Rakugo parts are pretty obvious, the last part, Shinju (suicide) hasn't surfaced until now. That's what happens here as Miyokichi (whose real name is Yurie) was threatening to commit suicide with Kiku, but instead she ends up falling with Sukeroku at the end. Just when it looked like things were looking up with everybody moving back to the master's house and Sukeroku totally nailing it with that comeback performance, tragedy strikes and poor Konatsu has to suffer through all this because her parents are so broken. That was quite an extreme shift in mood as now my heart has just been crushed. In any case, that's another great episode, and certainly having something like this happen is well done. One more episode left to go, and I wonder how Kiku handles all this grief that has happened right in front of his eyes.

Comment

Re: Episode 12

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                  Over the edge.

This show is called Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, and while the Showa (era the story is set in), Genroku (era the stories being told are set in), and Rakugo parts are pretty obvious, the last part, Shinju (suicide) hasn't surfaced until now. That's what happens here as Miyokichi (whose real name is Yurie) was threatening to commit suicide with Kiku, but instead she ends up falling with Sukeroku at the end. Just when it looked like things were looking up with everybody moving back to the master's house and Sukeroku totally nailing it with that comeback performance, tragedy strikes and poor Konatsu has to suffer through all this because her parents are so broken. That was quite an extreme shift in mood as now my heart has just been crushed. In any case, that's another great episode, and certainly having something like this happen is well done. One more episode left to go, and I wonder how Kiku handles all this grief that has happened right in front of his eyes.
                  It was a great episode indeed. It appears that next episode would cover up to halfway through chapter 5 of the manga. To what deity do I have to pray to get a season 2 of this magnificent show?

Comment

Re: Episode 12

Jesus Christ. I figured we'd learn how Sukeroku and Miyokichi met their ends soon, but I didn't expect something so poetically tragic. That was powerful.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 13 (Season 1 Finale)

He shall inherit the name.

That tragedy prompted Kiku to become Yakumo VIII seeing that what Sukeroku wanted the most is to keep rakugo going for future generations. And then the story moves several years into the future where Yakumo VIII has taken in Yotaro as an apprentice, Konatsu is all grown up and about to become a mother with an illegitimate child, and Yotaro makes a request to become Sukeroku III, and thus leading to many hardships down the line. That sure was a great way to transition into the present seeing that the first episode shows that Yotaro has become such a broken man. With that, it's curtains for this show, but it will be continuing sometime in the near future. This has been such an awesome show, and I look forward to watching more of it.

Overall, this show is an amazingly constructed story from start (as in episode 2 when the leads first get into rakugo, that is) to finish. Character development is nicely told, the relationships, and the way lives are impacted from the pursuit of rakugo make for such a great story. And of course, this show is all about the rakugo as Akira Ishida and Koichi Yamadera do such an amazing job speaking the way rakugo storytellers would, and then some. Just about the only major problems I had with this show are the animation (though not fancy, it certainly is appropriate for the type of atmosphere this show has) and the first episode that I felt was confusing, unnecessary, and with a story that doesn't exactly click on all cylinders for those who don't know anything about this show. But after that, things really took off and the result is one of the best stories of the season.

MAL Rating: *********-

Comment

Re: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Discussion Thread

What an amazing wrap up this was and the announcement of season 2 fills me with joy! The aftermath of Sukeroku's passing shines a light on why Konatsu has such a spiteful attitude towards Kiku. He really wasn't a bad step father but he was distant, as the only people he ever had a human connection with are all gone (his master, Shin, and Miyokichi). I had my apprehensions on whether Yotaro and Konatsu can carry forward the show coming from Bon and Shin's amazing story together. But the twist at the end really gives me hopes that even if it may not be as fantastic as S1, S2 has potential to still be very enjoyable. Overall this was a 10/10 show for me, it's been ages since I've seen something that reminds me why I watch anime in the first place.

Comment

Re: Episode 13 (Season 1 Finale)

Wow, I really wasn't expecting this to be so great. But damn, it took off like I never could've imagined. What a wonderful surprise this series was.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

What are the chances of this getting picked up for a home release in North America? Or do we have to wait for all Japanese BDs to be released for an announcement to be made?

Comment

Originally posted by Oniros View Post
                              What are the chances of this getting picked up for a home release in North America? Or do we have to wait for all Japanese BDs to be released for an announcement to be made?
                              I think there's a pretty good chance it gets picked up, most likely by Sentai. But I believe that companies are taking more of a wait-and-see approach as Sentai isn't licensing as much stuff right off the bat these days. There's that, and this show has limited marketability potential in America. But we'll see about that. The final BD release is in August to give you some sort of timeline to when you can expect this show to be picked up and released if it does happen.

Comment

Season 2 premiers in January 2017! Who is hyped here?

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X