X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2016] Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    昭和元禄落語心中

A show about a delinquent man who takes on rakugo, a form of comedic Japanese storytelling, learning under the storyteller he admires the most.

Airs: Sunday, January 10

Studio: Deen

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    TPF News/Reviews
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

When a certain man is released from prison, he knows exactly where he's heading first. After falling in love with a traditional comic storyteller's rendition of the story called "Shinigami," he is determined to become his apprentice. The performer, Yakumo, has never taken an apprentice before, but to everyone's surprise, he accepts the eager ex-prisoner, nicknaming him "Yotaro."

As Yotaro happily begins his new life, he meets others in Yakumo's life, including Yakumo's ward Konatsu. Konatsu was the daughter of a famous storyteller, and Yakumo took her in after her father's tragic death. Konatsu loved her father's storytelling, and would love to become a performer in her own right—but that path is not available for women.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Chris Beveridge; 01-09-2016, 06:54 AM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Listen to my story.

After watching this double-length episode, I now know what rakugo is, and it's basically a type of storytelling where a man in a kimono tells a funny story where he talks as many different characters. Anyway, Yotaro sure is desperate, and seeing that he's fresh out of prison it's easy to see. He is so into Sukeroku's rakugo, but it was a huge surprise seeing that he was accepted as his first apprentice so easily. That was a pretty solid story there, but I thought that this show had lost me for the majority of the episode until the part when Yotaro snoozed during a performance. Well, I'll give it another episode before deciding whether or not to write off this show seeing that it's not exactly my kind of show.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This was a rather strange episode. The rakugo stuff was interesting at times but it wasn't exactly funny when the people were laughing. They were just laughing whenever no matter what was being said. Yotaro was a fun guy. He spent his time in jail and went straight to learn rakugo and stuff. It had some interesting bits here and there like with the girl and Yotaro not sure who's rakugo style to take on. It has some potential so I'll be sticking around for a bit.
      My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Humour is relative. So is taste. That's why we have our personal preferences. For me, this show however goes straight for the jugular in that it ticks all the boxes for me. The show made good use of its extra time to show us.. nay.. transport us to the past and give us an introduction to rakugo. The rakugo performances were engrossing - showing us the contrast between Yotarou's dynamic presentation compared with his master's, Yakumo's, restrained performance. Yotarou's style is much closer to Yakumo's deceased fellow disciple, Sukerouku. I understood not only why the rakugos presented were humorous in their own way and presentation, but also appreciated the humour. This anime is mature anime that will not be everybody's taste/preferences like rakugo but this first episode has been excellent and for me, it ranks as the best premiere episode for Winter season shows.
        SAMA-FUN #01 (Sports Anime and Manga Fans Union)
        METAL Mark-II (Mecha Enthusiasts' Talk)

Comment

Re: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Discussion Thread

Voice actor Seki Tomokazu, who does the voice of Yotarō in Rakugo Shinjū, became a pupil of rakugo-ka Tatekawa Shirano in 2014.

Comment

That was very unusual, and I wasn't expecting it to be double-length, but I liked it. I'm curious to see where it goes. It's no Barakamon, but I do find that the easiest comparison for the possibility of being able to appreciate an art form I never would've thought about otherwise.

Doesn't hurt that Seki is my favorite seiyuu. Also very interesting to hear Ishida voicing an old man while still being immediately distinctive as Ishida from his first words. Kobayashi rounds out a hell of a cast so far.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Fascinating. I know a little of rakugo. Enough that I know the taste for it is specific to the era it was developed and came of age in the culture--understanding the humor of it is not a simple matter of seeing the punchline; it's understanding why a caricature or mannerism or figure of speech or situation is funny in the context of the era and culture it came out of.

But listen to a couple rakugo performances, as this offers (honestly, too, not taking the shortcut animation would provide in visualizing the monlogue) and you may start to get the rhythm.

This is and is not the sort of thing I expect from anime these days. A pleasant surprise.
              Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
              Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
              Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Episode 2

It all starts with a smile.

This episode goes back into the past to show how Sukeroku, known professionally as Hatsutaro back then, and Yakumo, known professionally as Kikuhiko, came to be. Hatsutaro has such a strong passion for rakugo with an energetic approach while Kikuhiko was somebody who would never smile. And as such, their personalities are reflected in their rakugo as Hatsutaro is going too fast, while Kikuhiko's is too lethargic. That was some excellent rakugo in this episode, and even Kikuhiko seems to approve. Anyway, while I'm still having a hard time understanding everything seeing that these characters have been changing names, I am absolutely enjoying the rakugo in this show.

So with that, I'll keep watching this show for now, and I think that the double-length episode last week had me all lost wondering what was going on. This episode, things are at least clearer to the point where I know what to expect when hearing these storytellers do their rakugo. This show has been amazing, if only because I get to learn about rakugo and everything that goes into making it great.
                Last edited by Buckeye; 01-16-2016, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Recently I happened to rewatch a DVD of famous rakugo-ka Bunraku the 8th.
                  I wonder whether this anime will have some non-Japanese people get interested in rakugo.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Ah, so we'll be spending a while in the past. No Seki, then, but still good stuff.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Never give up hope.

The flashback continues as the focus turns to Bon/Kikuhiko/Yakumo and how he kept his dream of becoming a storyteller alongside Shin/Hatsutaro/Sukeroku alive through WWII when rakugo was the last thing on everybody's mind. He learned to be optimism through Hatsutaro, and his optimism is rewarded in the end as the two reunite after the war. That was nicely done and it all goes to show just how tough times were during WWII, and especially in Japan where entertainment was dead, or at the very least censored. Great stuff overall, and it's nice to listen to Megumi Hayashibara once again seeing that she is one of the big name seiyuus and singers back in the day, but she hasn't been doing much lately.

So with that, after a rough start that's more about me having a hard time understanding what's going on rather than the show itself being terrible, this show has clinched its spot on my watchlist for the season. It's lacking in style, but it more than makes up for it with its substance that is starting to pay dividends.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Wow, this flashback has now been going as long as the main story, and it isn't over yet. I miss our apparent lead, but I am loving the story being told in this flashback enough that I'm not bothered.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                          Wow, this flashback has now been going as long as the main story, and it isn't over yet. I miss our apparent lead, but I am loving the story being told in this flashback enough that I'm not bothered.
                          Given the emphasis the OP/EDs put on this past, It seems this is the main story. Yotaru's character was only a catalyst to get into this, since he seemed the second coming Sukeroku. There isn't any real story in the "present," except finding out what happened in the past to make Sukeroku's daughter angry, and why Yakumo finds it so hard to accept Yotaru. In fact that backstory looks like it's only getting started, with this episode ending at the beginning of the "golden age."

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                            Given the emphasis the OP/EDs put on this past, It seems this is the main story. Yotaru's character was only a catalyst to get into this, since he seemed the second coming Sukeroku. There isn't any real story in the "present," except finding out what happened in the past to make Sukeroku's daughter angry, and why Yakumo finds it so hard to accept Yotaru. In fact that backstory looks like it's only getting started, with this episode ending at the beginning of the "golden age."
                            I guess all the sites listing Yotarou as the sole lead are mistaken, then. Maybe the manga has more material in the present than the past and that's why, although I'd think they could assume what would be covered.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                              I guess all the sites listing Yotarou as the sole lead are mistaken, then. Maybe the manga has more material in the present than the past and that's why, although I'd think they could assume what would be covered.
                              It's my own presumption, of course. I don't see why it can't spend more time back in Yotaru's time, but I don't see it happening for awhile, where this seems to be going.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X