X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2016] Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ナースウィッチ小麦ちゃんR

A magical girl spinoff of the Soul Taker franchise, the second such show. In this version, Komugi is a much different version from her previous incarnation.

Airs: Saturday, January 9

Studio: Tatsunoko

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    TFP News/Reviews
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Komugi Yoshida is a somewhat clumsy second-year middle-school student whose strong point is her spiritedness. She performs as an idol like Kokona Saionji (her classmate and close friend) and Tsukasa Kisaragi (an idol who dresses in male clothing). However, unlike Kokona whose popularity is skyrocketing and Tsukasa with her charisma in male attire, Komugi's only gigs are low-end ones like those at the local shopping district. Still, Komugi has her "dream" as she lives her dual lives as a idol and a middle school girl. One day, a mysterious injured creature named Usa-P appears before Komugi and asks if she wants to be a Legendary Girl who can use magical powers. She reluctantly becomes Magical Nurse and fights waves of masked figures. Meanwhile, a Magical Maid and a Magical Sister also show up.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Chris Beveridge; 01-08-2016, 11:54 AM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Let's Komugication!

That was pretty silly and cliched, but I certainly liked all the parodies, references, and other crazy stuff going on. This Komugi becomes the tomboy magical girl Tombo-E, and she's gotten herself involved in something big. So her first monster to defeat is a film monster who can change people, and upon a monster's defeat they become cards much like in Card Captor Sakura. While I'm not big on the Soul Taker franchise, so far it's off to a decent start that would be good for some laughs.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I've never seen anything from this franchise, but I won't hold this against it. That would probably be like assuming Fate/Zero was on the same level as early Prisma Illya. But goddamn, that was painful. What a terrible choice I made.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Yeah, that's pretty much Nurse Witch Komugi: a slightly daft, hammy, ridiculous semi-farce of the magical girl/idol. I was actually getting a little disappointed in the first third or so, almost hoping it was just a short, until they finally got to the stupid silly stuff.

Original NWK was pretty much like this; it was never that highly respected, really, just light enjoyment, treated just as it was intended: a way to be silly with a character from an earnestly serious show (The Soul Taker) who was there strange and sadistic. Honestly, as I think it was for a number of North American fans, much of my like for the original was the ADV/Ocean dub, namely with Joecelyn Lowewn reprising her Soul Taker character in an ideally silly context. Watching NWK R, now, without that side of it, isn't quite as entertaining. But, even if just for nostalgia's sake (and Komugi's trademark bunny outfit) I'll make this my fluff show of the season.
        Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
        Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
        Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Episode 2

Hey stalker, you're under arrest.

This episode focuses on Kokona, and much like Komugi's rival in the first spinoff, she's an entirely different person when she is a magical girl as the normally well-behaved girl becomes narcissist when transformed. She's being stalked by a tanuki, who is out to make her a magical girl, and she seals the police car monster. Well, the jokes and stuff were funny the first time around, but here not so much. I wasn't expecting much out of this show and I wasn't planning to stick with it beyond a courtesy checkout. So with that, the gig is up.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I guess I'll remain as the lone defender of my complete fluff show of the season.

It is still following the structure and setup of the OVA, it seems, with Kokona turning evil with her transformation, and so into Komugi's rival. Nothing at all special here. But, whatever, it's Komugi. Have to at least see what Tsukasa's transformation will be about.

Comment

Episode 3

And this episode focus is on the third girl, Tsukasa (who I thought was guy when I first saw her). The girls even refer to her with the -kun suffix. Everybody thinks that she's in love with Kokona, but no, it's Yuta. Meh. Yuri is the true path, Tsukasa.
              Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

I wasn't sure if I was liking this enough to continue, but then there was so much kakkokawaii goodness from Tsukasa that I'm feeling compelled to continue.

Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
                Meh. Yuri is the true path, Tsukasa.
                Not really for her IMO (is Kokona even interested in her in that way aside from the ideas in others's heads? Doesn't seem clear, at least). I find it amusing that Yuuto does seem interested in her in return, but is apparently aiming for something like a bromance. Feels like the gender confusion with her is another aspect the show is trying to parody, though I find it interesting.

Comment

Episode 4

Even if there was the expected belittling joke after the fact, it's nice to see Komugi's efforts pay off and actually succeed, in her idol and her magical girl work at the same time. We hadn't seen too much of her parents up to this point, but his time we see they make for quite the amusing couple.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                    Even if there was the expected belittling joke after the fact, it's nice to see Komugi's efforts pay off and actually succeed, in her idol and her magical girl work at the same time. We hadn't seen too much of her parents up to this point, but his time we see they make for quite the amusing couple.
                    That makes for a more cheerful show. I was getting worried as this went along that much of the series would be Komugi's "not quite" life, but instead she nets two hares, as the saying goes here. Yay, Komugi.

Comment

Episode 5

Haha, it was fun seeing Tsukasa's constantly changing expressions as they kept expecting Yu-nii to be at the door when it wasn't him. And she's as cutely awkward as always when he does come around. At least it seems Kokona is catching on, and they even saw through her "gift" excuse, so they'll help her out of the denials at some point. Tsukasa doesn't seem to feel good about Komugi at all right now (with that envy and all), so I kind of hoping we actually see those two get closer in some way over there. We do see them happily holding arms in the ED.

The random English booger quote amused me. I wondered if it was from a real thing, and thanks to Google, it apparently is an existing quote, somehow (since nothing I looked at seemed to have a source) attributed to Mae West. Well, that was an interesting odd diversion.

The monster was defeated before he even got to say his official name. The show keeps up the magical girl parodying nicely, but doesn't feel as overboard now, giving us some time to learn more about the characters (like the bit on Komugi's manager). Anyway, looks like we have wardrobe malfunctions next week.

Comment

Episode 6

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                        Tsukasa doesn't seem to feel good about Komugi at all right now (with that envy and all), so I kind of hoping we actually see those two get closer in some way over there. We do see them happily holding arms in the ED.
                        Oh good, not too long until we saw some of that, with Komugi in on her cute side now. While she wasn't able to "come out" despite all the courage she gathered, she at least got a positive result pushing back on Komugi's cluelessness about her room. And Komugi gives Tsukasa reason to feel even more positive about her goal.

Hasn't been much of a focus on Kokona the past few episodes (her mascot laments his complete lack of appearance...) but looks like that may shift to her for next episode.

Comment

Episode 7

Continuing to feel nice to see Tsukasa has someone to be herself around. Heh, but of course the group of classmates interpret Tsukasa's newfound closeness with Komugi in their own way. Kokona's not left out, though: they both really help her out through her current funk this episode. Seems like Kokona may be onto Tsukasa's true self too. Moving towards a more tightly knit group of three with them. Despite their mascots' fierce rivalry, it feels like Nurse and Sister have some desire to be a team with the magical girl'ing as well (funny how Maid isn't involved with the monster-of-the-week even if this is Kokona's episode: perhaps there's still some issues to get to with her given the sharply different personality).

I was amused at not only all of the random people Kokona was suddenly inspiring showing up at the marathon, but all sorts of Tatsunoko cameos like Speed Racer as well. :D

Comment

Episode 9

Throwing things out of whack here, but ep 9 is like a second part to 8...

Anyway. Yay, Komugi. As the season comes in for its landing, a silly show like this has actually had more staying power for me than a few other more committed shows. Part is simple good nature, like poor Komugi actually winning out.

It's not Konosuba, of course, but a couple pretty funny jokes I liked in this one: the old man suggesting Komugi was all he had left to live for--before listing a whole bunch of other stuff first; and, of course, Komugi beating the latest monster under the bridge in silhouette, which was darkly brilliant. (Also, who was the blue-haired girl.helping out in the concert preparations? Loved the randomness of that, whether or not I'd missed her before...)

Comment

Re: Episode 9

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                              but a couple pretty funny jokes I liked in this one: the old man suggesting Komugi was all he had left to live for--before listing a whole bunch of other stuff first; and, of course, Komugi beating the latest monster under the bridge in silhouette, which was darkly brilliant.
                              Hah, I liked both of those as well. The former because you usually expect the list to only have a few items, but then it kept going on and on. The latter gets Usa-P to think again on his earlier selfish remarks...

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                              (Also, who was the blue-haired girl.helping out in the concert preparations? Loved the randomness of that, whether or not I'd missed her before...)
                              Now that I look again, I think that part also had me asking "Who's that?"

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X