X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2016] Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    最弱無敗の神装機竜《バハムート》

A fantasy harem show where the MC is some guy who doesn't lose because he just won't attack. That's going to change quite a lot now that he's in training, and with a bazillion girls at his side.

Airs: Monday, January 11

Studio: Lerche

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Hulu

Lux is a former prince of an empire named Arcadia that was overthrown via a rebellion five years earlier. Lux accidentally trespasses in a female dormitory's bathing area, sees the kingdom's new princess Lisesharte naked, and incurs her wrath. Lisesharte then challenges Lux to a Drag-Ride duel. Drag-Rides are ancient armored mechanical weapons that have been excavated from ruins all around the world. Lux used to be called the strongest Drag-Knight, but now he's known as the "undefeated weakest" Drag-Knight because he will absolutely not attack in battle. After his duel with Lisesharte, Lux ends up attending the female-only academy that trains royals to be Drag-Knights.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 01-08-2016, 03:24 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Galaxy Angel, Rayearth, Arte, City Hunter
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Defense wins championships.

That's quite a generic way to begin a harem as the MC here ends up being a pervert by accident like it has happened time and again. This time, it happens as a result of Lux running along rooftops and falling into a bath landing him in hot water. And then he ends up battling Lisha, who he touched in the nude by accident, in a match of dragon armor that looks just like those IS units in Infinite Stratos, and while Lux is undefeated, he's all about defense as he just won't attack. But in the end, the match ends in a stalemate where Lux's usefulness is in creating openings for his comrades to deliver the killing blow and as such, the former prince is now a student at an all-girls academy.

So while the story concept is cliched and tropified by things I have seen a bazillion times by now, it still has lots of intrigue seeing that so much hell is going on in Lux's homeland, I felt like they were trying to squeeze in as much action and other stuff that's more appealing to the audience as possible rather than to set up the story. Anyway, this show is on a much shorter leash than all other shows this season, and so far it hasn't made a case for inclusion.
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Some definite issues such as how Lux was introduced & the need for accidents. However I do like the fact the problem was not dealt with him handling everything by himself. Plus I had half-expected that sword to be used in episode 1, so the fact they held off is kind of nice.

I feel this will be one of those shows with good moments that will ultimately get drowned out by its own bad moments sadly.

Comment

Tsundere Crimson War Princess? (even if she's not a redhead this time) Check. Guy with a rare talent among school filled with women? Check. And however many other things they were checking off that these shows always do. At the very least feels like a rehash of Bladedance of Elementalers. Honestly it didn't get to being the least of the light novel adaptations of the season for me, so I may watch some more episodes, but those things stick out after seeing them so often. May not be with this for long.

Comment

A contender for most generic show of the season, for sure. All in all, it's a relatively competent example of this formula, but it certainly does nothing to set itself apart, and maybe of its cliches are among the particularly obnoxious.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 2

And the MC reveals himself to be the black hero who fought against the empire. So even though he and his family are treated like garbage, he's the one who brought down the empire. He is really over powered though, kicking all the gargoyles butts in thirty seconds. I wonder why Krulcifer (nice name btw) has issues with the black hero.
            Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Despite still having some of the same issues as the previous, this episode was still an improvement. I get the feeling there's something they're not telling in regards to the flashbacks & info dump so far, but well they've got to save something for future plot twists.

When he was told "You can't use that sword", I had to ask "Define can't" since it doesn't mean "As in capable of actually using it" then they're must be another problem. Uses up life force? Corrupts someone? Sure the answer will be cliche, but there are like a half dozen they could choose from.

Nice to we got fanservice because of an abuse of power. I'm not sure if I mean that sarcastically or legitimately. Speaking of fanservice, it is possible to provide without resorting to forced & annoying elements. Just saying show.

In any case, I hope there will be more to it than "Lol, I'm Black Hero, thanks bye"

Comment

The black hero rises.

Lux ends up becoming roommates with Philuffy, who he knows from his childhood. Lisha's history is revealed as she's the only survivor of her royal family, and she was branded with that mark being held hostage. Then comes an invasion by that person who put the mark of the Empire on her, and Lux is revealed to be the Black Hero that singlehandedly ended the fighting by destroying a bazillion of those dragon armors. Things happened pretty quickly here as there just wasn't enough setup all while the skirmish that figured to be drawn out didn't last very long. While the character backgrounds are pretty intriguing, this show has been rushing a lot of things.

Seeing that this show has failed to impress all while it is exclusive to Hulu, and that this show would be the only reason for me to subscribe that I think this will be it for me. I would have been willing to at the very least watch this to the end of my trial period under normal circumstances, but as things are, this show was placed on a shorter leash than usual.

Comment

I felt the reveal was too soon. We can see it coming from hints of episode 1 and 2, and the intro animation but it could have been more impactful to the characters if it was revealed maybe halfway or near the end of the show. His character hasn't had time to develop in the school. An example of the perfect reveal is from Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari. Kenshi's popularity has grown to epic proportion that the reveal made all the students in the school amazed. I also found it weird that the bad guy didn't know who he was until he pulled out Bahamut which is rather strange. I will probably give it 2 more episodes to see how the reveal to the rest of the school is done but I don't expect much.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X