X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2016] Phantasy Star Online 2 Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ファンタシースターオンライン2 ジ アニメーション

A show adapted from a video game, released in 2012. This adaptation has an original story to it.

Airs: Friday, January 8

Studio: Telecom Animation Film

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    TFP News/Reviews
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Itsuki Tachibana is a student of Seiga Academy, a co-ed boarding high school with excellent reputation, located in a suburb outside the city center. On a day of second semester, he was summoned by Rina Izumi, the most esteemed and praised chairperson, to the student council room, without knowing what awaits him.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Chris Beveridge; 01-08-2016, 12:03 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

It's not a game, it's a job.

So this show is about real world students playing the game rather than the players being in the game like many other MMORPG-based shows tend to be. Itsuki is a model student, but seeing that he has lots of free time that he is appointed the student council VP and ordered to play PSO2 for research purposes. And despite being a beginner, he does pretty well during an emergency quest right off the bat. Well, I wasn't expecting much out of this show, and so far it hasn't been anything special. I do like the Sega references there, and the school is the appropriately-named Seiga Academy. I'll give it another episode before deciding what I want to do, but so far it has a big hill to climb.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

The word "boring" was made to describe stuff like this episode. This was boring in every sense of the word. Nothing it tried worked out well. The comedy it tried failed miserably in being funny, the action lacked any excitement, the artwork is so so, the MC doesn't have any standout features, nothing is right here.

However, one thing got my attention here, the fact that there is no virtual reality involved – these kids are playing an RPG on their PSPs or computers. I thought that this would be another "trapped in an RPG" thing, but so far it doesn't look like that can happen because they aren't entering a game world. Interesting. But even then, I'm not sure if I want to go through more possible boring crap in order to find out what the plot is here. This episode most certainly did not leave a good impression.
      My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Damn, not only is it an anime based on a sequel to an online version of a video game, it's not even an adaptation of the game but a series about playing that game, in which it's just the game as it exists in real life, with no reason to care about it except that the plot is nonsensically built around everyone who matters caring about that game more than anything for no reason. Really stretching these days, Sega. "Please still care about us! Please still think we're relevant!" At least SeHa Girls had its unique gimmick. Damn, this is the kind of show that makes me say something slightly positive about SeHa Girls. That's something.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

It's possible to study and play.

As it turns out, the reason why Itsuki was asked to play and report on PSO2 is to prove to the higher-ups at the academy that it is possible to enjoy the game while keeping up with studies. Also, it turns out that the president is also the one who plays as SORO in the game, who helps Itsuki find his way in the game. And then comes a transfer student Aika who follows Itsuki everywhere he goes, even into areas where girls are not allowed. Well, at least things are falling into place here and that because Itsuki is an honors student that it's no wonder he was recruited. Well, it's pretty clear by now that this show isn't what I was hoping for it to be seeing that I was expecting a sci-fi show, but it ends up just being a slice-of-life show where the game is just there to connect everybody.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
            Well, it's pretty clear by now that this show isn't what I was hoping for it to be seeing that I was expecting a sci-fi show, but it ends up just being a slice-of-life show where the game is just there to connect everybody.
            Sadly, it's even failing miserably at what it's trying to be in reality. Mostly because the game stuff feels like too much of an after thought & it's over all boring. I was hoping episode 2 would be good unlike episode 1. However it was bad. So I'm giving up on it myself. I have too much to watch to play the "Maybe episode X, okay maybe episode Y" game with every series.
            "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
            Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Episode 3

He's trolling the troll.

And a lot of MMORPG terminology is explained, all while the only things that really happened are that Itsuki was able to bring that troll Yutaka back to the real world, and he figures out that Rina is SORO. Man, that was boring to watch, and even though I'm quite tolerant, it just irks me with all of these bad ideas this show has seeing as its intent is to get gamers rather than making a good show. Making a slice-of-life show out of a video game is just a really bad concept that's perhaps the worst of recent times.

So with that, time to go offline with this train wreck.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X