X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2016] Divine Gate Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ディバインゲート

A show that's about a different kind of Gate. This one is not one to be transported into a fantasy world, but instead it's the end goal for those who want to remake the world.

Airs: Friday, January 8

Studio: Pierrot

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    TFP News/Reviews
    Official Site
    Funimation

No one knows when, where, or how "the gate" was created; furthermore, no one can see, touch, or access it. However, when "the gate" is opened, realms of mortals, fairies, and daemons collide, destroying world orders. While leaders of three realms try to restore orders, some talented and capable mortals begin to approach the gate, now known as "Divine Gate." Yet no one has reached the Gate and returned, however.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Chris Beveridge; 01-08-2016, 11:57 AM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

The rain won't fall forever.

And so, it begins with the water Adapter Aoto taking out a fire Adapter that has hijacked the tram, and he ends up enrolling in the Academy to join a team formed by Akane and Midori. He has such a terrible past seeing that he is the parent killer, and while everybody is telling the truth, he's approaching things as if they were lies. Well, that was an interesting story there that focuses on Aoto, and it certainly adds an air of mystery. The show has potential, but for now things are pretty vanilla seeing that it's setting things up and only half of Aoto's story is being told. I'll give it some more episodes before making a decision.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So little of Itou Kanae lately, that it's a shame when we have an adorable lead role like this, it ends up being in an academy of angsty (make that ultra-angsty) superpowered teenagers type thing. Not feeling like sticking around with this when I've already found so many things with more promise on Thursday and Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
        The rain won't fall forever.

And so, it begins with the water Adapter Aoto taking out a fire Adapter that has hijacked the tram, and he ends up enrolling in the Academy to join a team formed by Akane and Midori. He has such a terrible past seeing that he is the parent killer, and while everybody is telling the truth, he's approaching things as if they were lies. Well, that was an interesting story there that focuses on Aoto, and it certainly adds an air of mystery. The show has potential, but for now things are pretty vanilla seeing that it's setting things up and only half of Aoto's story is being told. I'll give it some more episodes before making a decision.
        Hmmm. there's something to be said for reaction.

Mine was, "WTF did I just watch?"

I'm not sure how long I'll stick around for this one. It was confusing as all get out, and didn't do much to hook me. I might be back...and then again, I might not.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

This started off with somewhat interesting. But I think they shouldn't have told Aoto's story right in the first episode. That was pretty stupid of them. They should have kept his past a bit more mysterious until we saw the guy for at least more than an episode. Dropping his sad past right off the bat doesn't have as good an effect on the viewers as it could have if done later. I couldn't care less about a character and his miserable past if I've only seen him for, like, 15 minutes.

The rest of the things were so so. Not anything to write home about. I'll give it another episode or two to see if it gets better. But this episode didn't leave a good impression because of its stupid move here.
          My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

This actually wasn't too bad for a smartphone game adaptation, but even at its best, that's going to come across as a smartphone game adaptation, and that means nothing too great can result. Oh well, good effort.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Wow.

I am thoroughly impressed.

I am thoroughly impressed at how hilariously emo this Aoto main character is.

Seriously. The emo-ness of this guy is so high that it's impossible to take him, or his tragic past, seriously. From his poetic wangsting about rain to his not eating warm food because he never got any, this guy is a complete, unintentional riot. I mean, if they're trying to play him seriously, this show is failing harder than someone trying to beat Ultimate Arena with a Plessie lead (obscure analogies ahoy!), but I still kind of have to give props for that.

For stuff I'd actually continue watching for... uh, Midori (the green-haired girl) and Undine (the water fairy, who I actually have in my own Divine Gate game that I haven't really played)... Sylph too, I guess... yeah, it's become another show I watch for the girls. Go figure.
              Still alive and lurking.

Avatar: Arisu from The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls, representing my state after each workday.

Comment

Episode 2

All fathers are not created equal.

That's such a sad story regarding Aoto's parents there, all while Akane valued his father so much, and then there's it that father who tried to save his son in the attack, but couldn't. And then there's the concept of consciousness and subconsciousness conflicting with each other that lead to some really bad things happening. In the end, the three did manage to save the son, but not after a good amount of hesitation. So far, this show has set a solid foundation, but let's see how it builds off of it.

Comment

Episode 3

She's gonna be her #1.

This episode focuses on Midori, and her motivation for wanting to reach the Divine Gate is to get back her best friend Elena, who had disappeared suddenly and apparently was spirited away. While Elena viewed Midori as her #1, the converse wasn't true. And then the mystery behind Aoto continues seeing that Akane doesn't believed he killed his parents and if so, there's a good reason, and the truth is apparently so outrageous that the higher-ups are restricting access to his profile. There's a lot of plotting and scheming going on from the look of things, and there are a lot of hidden truths.

So with that, I'm pretty sure this show is not going to make my watchlist for the season. It started off well, but things have since been too slow to develop and as such, my interest is waning.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X