Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2015] TFP's Anime List Project #12: OP/ED

Widgets Magazine
    Welcome to the 12th edition of The Fandom Post Anime List Project. Where TFP readers can suggest and vote on lists for a wide array of anime-related topics, often relating to the current anime season. Every week a new topic is offered, and the next week its nominees are voted on, while a new topic is opened. Weekly suggestions, and topic suggestions, are open to any registered forum user.

The poll for last week's topic, What Are You Thankful for in Anime in 2015, is above. Please select up to but no more than five (5) options! Voting on this poll is open through mid-day Monday, December 7th.

And the topic for this week is: Favorite OP/ED Combo of 2015. Yes, finally, we can start getting to all the silly year-end stuff...basically for the next, I don't know, eight weeks or so? No more philosophical questions! (For the time being.) This first one's slightly different on the usual, however, as it's not just favorite opening or favorite ending, or separate lists for both. It's for your favorite combinations of both the OP and ED in a show together. (Which may or may not even include your single favorite OP or ED!)

Please reply to this root post with up to five (5) nominations. Nominations are open through Monday, December 7th.

(If you have a topic suggestion, please feel free to post that here, as well!)

Thanks!
    Aria on BD (JP/10th Anniversary)
    4.92%
    Crunchyroll's Manga Expansion
    1.64%
    Death Parade
    1.64%
    Discotek's Castle of Cagliostro BD Release
    1.64%
    Discotek's Robot Carnival Release
    6.56%
    Food Wars
    3.28%
    Good English Dubs Still Being Made
    8.20%
    Increase in Affordable Premium Editions
    6.56%
    Maiden Japan's Patlabor Movie 1-3 BDs
    1.64%
    Miyu Matsuki's Last Performances
    4.92%
    Monster Musume
    3.28%
    The Muv-Luv Kickstarter
    3.28%
    Neon Genesis Evangelion on BD
    1.64%
    NISA's Licensing and Releases
    3.28%
    Non Non Biyori Repeat
    1.64%
    Overall Striving for Quality by Licensing Companies
    3.28%
    Right Stuf Introduces Blu-ray
    4.92%
    Right Stuf's Magic User's Club Re-License
    6.56%
    Sentai's Licensing and Releases
    4.92%
    Sequels to Enjoyable Franchises
    11.48%
    Shirobako
    9.84%
    Wakaba*Girl
    4.92%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by bctaris; 12-08-2015, 07:36 PM.
    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    TFP Forum Rules

Re: TFP's Anime List Project #13: OP/ED

Alright, looking back at the year that was here are the top opening-ending combos. These are some of the best of the year, and I'll come back with my nominations later after thinking it over.

Winter 2015
    Aldnoah.Zero
    Assassination Classroom
    Fafner Exodus
    Log Horizon 2 (as much as I didn't like having the same opening is the first season, Database is still a great song)
    Rolling Girls
    Your Lie in April

Spring 2015
    Blood Blockade Battlefront
    Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
    Food Wars!
    Seraph of the End
    Sound! Euphonium

Summer 2015
    Actually, I Am
    Charlotte
    Gate
    Miss Monochrome 2
    Overlord
    Rampo Kitan: Game of Laplace
    Seiyu's Life

Fall 2015
    Asterisk War
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
    Noragami Aragoto
    One Punch Man
    Perfect Insider
    Starmyu
    Utawarerumono: The False Faces

Picking just five from all these lists is going to be quite a tall task.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

This is a difficult one since most animes either have an amazing OP but a not so good ED or vice versa.

In no particular order:
      Blood Blockade Battlefront
      Shokugeki no Soma (the OPs and EDs of both halves) (does this count as one nomination or two nominations?)
      Yuri Kuma Arashi
      Noragami Aragoto (mainly because of its awesome ED which easily makes up for its relatively less awesome OP)
      My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Originally posted by Yamada2 View Post
        Shokugeki no Soma (the OPs and EDs of both halves) (does this count as one nomination or two nominations?)
        Each cour has its own set of OP/EDs, so I'd have to separate them into two.
        TFP Forum Rules

Comment

tough one , nonetheless, here are a few of my favorites

1) Death Parade (if it's not obvious already, one of the best shows of the year )
          2) Koufuku Graffiti
          3) Yuri Kuma Arashi
          4) Shokugeki no Soma (S1)
          5) Gangsta

Comment

Classroom Crisis
            Shirobako (second cour)
            Death Parade
            Sound! Euphonium
            Overlord

Was hard to finalize my nominations, as there were so many pleasing combinations. Others I also considered:
            Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (both cours)
            Hacka Doll the Animation
            Himouto! Umaru-chan
            Noragami Aragoto
            Non Non Biyori Repeat
            Prison School
            Saekano -How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend-
            Snow White with the Red Hair
            Yurikuma Arashi

Comment

This was slightly harder than I thought, since it had to be a combination of both OP and ED. But, here's my list:

1. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Souma (S1)
              2. Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
              3. Himouto Umaru-chan
              4. Is the Order a Rabbit??
              5. Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches

In general, it's rare to get one where I really like both (and even on this list, only #1 achieves that). The rest are where I like one or the other a lot and am positive about the other. There are lots more shows where I like the OP or ED a lot, but their companion theme and its animation don't really do much for me. My absolute favorites for each would be a difficult question, separate from this (though FW OP1 and ED1 rank very highly).
              Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
              Scratchy for Tama is angry.
              Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

I liked these quite a bit:

1. Sound! Euphonium
                2. Monster Musume (I actually liked the ED more than the OP)
                3. Saekano-How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend
                4. Gate
                5. Miss Monochrome 2
                Avatar: The 108th Devil Hunter, Yohko Mano (Devil Hunter Yohko)
                Blu-ray.com / MAL /Games / Figures
                Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

Have to show some support for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc here.

ORA!!! ORA!!! ORA!!! ORA!!!
                  Oingo Boingo BRUTHAZ!!!
                  Hol Horse Boingo COMBINE!!!
                  (Last Train Home plays in the background)
                  Joseph Klemm
                  "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
                  Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
                  Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
                  Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

Suppose I should get to this by now. (All links to official song links, instead of the animations, just because...well, there are hardly any official OP/ED links with music intact, anyway; any unofficial ones don't last.)

Rolling Girls ("Hito ni Yasashiku" (OP) and "Tsuki no Bakugekiki" (ED): Two classic Blue Hearts covers, sung by the quartet of lead actors, on the best grrl-power retro slice-of-life coming-of-age adventure (+ aliens) show of the year. The vocals are probably a little too idol-group-harmonized for the likes of Hiroto Kimouto, but backing tracks grind out something refreshingly different (even if old) than the gaudy and over-emotional pop of most tracks used in OP/EDs these days. Maybe that's why I like 'em, beyond appreciation for 80s Japanese punk rock: besides the cast album collection of the themes, Rolling Girls wasn't just selling the latest act Sony wanted to promote that may have had nothing whatsoever to do with the show.
                    Food Wars (Season 1. Which brings us here. ULTRA TOWER's "Kibou no Uta" (OP; there's the official video too, but I love that live studio performance) may not be about cut-throat tournament cooking, but it's prepared so well with the OP animation, and such a perfect anthem for any story about going out and making it in the world, that it pretty much comes to define the show for me. OP/EDs, again, being about music promotion, it's a shame they couldn't just keep it going into the second cour. Ditto Tokyo Karan Koron's Spice (ED), which is sort of about food, in the abstract. But more about finding place and family, which again is paired playfully and perfectly with animation that drives that home. There wasn't a better welcome to and warm farewell from a show this year.)
                    Punch Line (But shameless marketing is fun every once in awhile. (And these from two of Sony's many labels, at that.) For the OP, Denpa power group (if there is such a thing) Daisuki Denpagumi, with ecumenical pop star Shoko Nakagawa leading the way, actually perform a gaudy, silly (but oddly complex) commercial song called, yes, "Punch Line!". It's about what the video says, and what the OP itself says, no mystery here. But it's so over the top, who cares. Ayumikurikamaki's "Honey Honey Honey" (ED) is more straightforward (you might recognize those opening chords from about a million j-pop songs), but it manages to be a (relatively) lower key song about the usual stuff: crushes, young love, etc. Far as songs go, it's not really on my list for favorite EDs this year, but it does pair very well with "Punch Line!", and has the cutest and most fun chibi-style animation sequence in 2015.)
                    Shirobako (S2. The music is very solid, but not too far out there--though getting long-time anime OP/ED balladeer Masami Okui for the peppy OP, "Treasure Box," is a good score (the five lead Shirobako seiyuu are in charge of the ED, "Platinum Jet")--but for overall design and function, this combination can't be beat. Aoi running around in her new job as production lead in the OP for the second and defining cour is similar to the first cour, a rapid introduction to all of the main characters and the madcap nature of their lives. But now we know what it all means, and it's a love letter within the love letter of the show. But the ED's something different, and both the most creative and most fitting one for the entire year, as it took most of the second cour to complete its image of the five girls sitting together, as one by one the animation takes us through the process of designing, drawing, coloring, and putting effects to each one. They couldn't have conceived of a better post-summary of the show.)

I'm not sure of a fifth right now... There are a coupls OPs, for instance, that I consider in the top 5 for the year, like Himouto Umaru-chan or Death Parade or Non Non Biyori Repeat, that have EDs that endear to me less. (Bah. Who thought of this topic!?)
                    TFP Forum Rules

Comment

For the OP/ED pairs, these were my favorites and I would like to nominate them:

1. Non Non Biyori Repeat
                      2. Shirobako 2nd cour
                      3. Snow White with the Red Hair
                      4. Charlotte
                      5. Actually, I Am...

As for a future topic suggestion, with Christmas coming up how about Favorite Christmas Episodes as a possible topic?
                      Currently Watching | MAL Profile
                      Let's make anime great again!

Comment

Originally posted by Sabure View Post
                        As for a future topic suggestion, with Christmas coming up how about Favorite Christmas Episodes as a possible topic?
                        Yeah, that's probably going to be one. I think it's been many years since a question like that's been asked around these parts.
                        TFP Forum Rules

Comment

So after thinking about it some more, here are four of my five nominations. For shows with multiple cours, I list the season whose theme songs I like best:

Blood Blockade Battlefront (OP: Hello World by Bump of Chicken, ED: Sugar Song and Bitter Step by Unison Square Garden)
                          This one was a definite choice from the start. The music is great and very reflective of this show. But what pushes it over the top is the ending animation with the Broadway theme.

Food Wars! (Spring 2015, OP: Kibou no Uta by Ultra Tower, ED: Spice by Tokyo Karankoron)
                          The opening song certainly sets the tone for this show as it's all about hope and potential. And then there's the ending that is abstract in its concept.

The Perfect Insider (OP: Talking by Kana-Boon, ED: Nana Hitsuji by Scenarioart)
                          Here is another show where its animation is what pushes it over the top. Cyberspace is a huge theme for this show, and I just love the animation in adhering to the theme. As for the songs themselves, they are both upbeat and attention-grabbing.

Seraph of the End (Spring 2015, OP: XU by SawanoHiroyuki[nZk], Scapegoat by SawanoHiroyuki[nZk])
                          Hiroyuki Sawano knows how to construct music for intense shows like this, and the theme songs for this show are upbeat, ominous, and fit with the theme of this show very nicely seeing that everything about this show feels just like Attack on Titan.

So the first four were pretty clear cut for me. As for the final pick, I'm having a tough time deciding where to go with it. Also, you can purchase the ending of Blood Blockade Battlefront, the first opening of Food Wars, and both theme songs for Seraph of the End on iTunes.
                          MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
                          Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
                          Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
                          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine
                          Working...
                          X