Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2015] TFP's Anime List Project #9: The Autumn in Anime

Widgets Magazine
    Welcome to the ninth week of the The Fandom Post Anime List Project. Where TFP readers can suggest and vote on lists for a wide array of anime-related topics, often relating to the current anime season. Every week a new topic is offered, and the next week its nominees are voted on, while a new topic is opened. Weekly suggestions, and topic suggestions, are open to any registered forum user.

The poll for last week's topic, Best Light Novel Adaptation, is above. Please select up to but no more than five (5) options! Voting on this poll is open through Sunday, November 8th.

And now the winners of our seventh Top 5 poll, for What We've Learned So Far This Season:

#5: Anime Girls Make Exercise Fun...and Other Things (Anime De Training! Ex)
    #4: Isolation Breeds Ignorance (Shomin Sample)
    #3: How to Use Ventriloquism to Influence Friends and Enemies (Is the Order a Rabbit?? / Utawarerumono)
    #2: Intense Physical Training Causes Baldness (One Punch Man)
    #1: Your Fetish Can Solve Crime! (Beautiful Bones)

Congrats to the winners; thanks to the voters! (I hope you learned something!)

And the topic for this week is: What Does Autumn (or, The Fall) Mean in Anime? That is, what are the things you're most likely to see in anime, or anime episodes, taking place in the Fall? Spring-based stuff has the new school year and cherry blossoms. Winter has X-Mas and New Years. Summer, the beach. But what about Autumn? So, kind of a tough one--more a survey than a poll of your preferences. (Don't worry, next time we'll get back to asking what the best color in anime is or something. ) Please reply to this root post with up to five (5) nominations. Nominations are open through Sunday, November 8th.

(If you have a topic suggestion, please feel free to post that here, as well!)

Thanks!
    Allison & Lillia
    2.90%
    Baccano!
    0.00%
    The Devil is a Part-Timer!
    2.90%
    Dirty Pair
    4.35%
    Durarara!!
    1.45%
    Fate/Zero 2nd Season
    2.90%
    The Garden of Sinners (Kara no Kyoukai)
    2.90%
    Gosick
    7.25%
    The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
    2.90%
    Kino's Journey
    2.90%
    Log Horizon
    5.80%
    Mardock Scramble
    1.45%
    Maria Watches Over Us (Maria-sama ga Miteru)
    7.25%
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    7.25%
    Monogatari Series
    7.25%
    My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
    5.80%
    No Game No Life
    2.90%
    The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
    5.80%
    Shakugan no Shana
    1.45%
    Slayers
    2.90%
    Spice and Wolf
    5.80%
    Toradora
    7.25%
    The Twelve Kingdoms
    4.35%
    Welcome to the N.H.K.
    4.35%

The poll is expired.

Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    TFP Forum Rules

Re: TFP's Anime List Project #9: The Autumn in Anime

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
    What Does Autumn (or, The Fall) Mean in Anime?
    どうかんがえても、文化祭 (bunkasai, school festival) とお月見 (o-tsukimi, enjoying the moon) です。 本当にありがとうございました。

Comment

I wish I had thought of it earlier, but I just checked and found that The Beast Player Erin (Kemono no Souja Erin) was originally a light novel series. Such an amazing show, but nevertheless there are plenty of noteworthy options in the poll this week.
      Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
      Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

The two main things that come to mind here are sports festivals and cultural festivals.
        Joseph Klemm
        "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
        Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
        Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
        Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

Roasting and eating sweet potatoes comes to mind. :D

Comment

Let's see here. These are the five things I generally associate with autumn are sports festivals, culture festivals, sweet potatoes, mountain trips, and uniform change. Sports festivals and culture festivals are a part of just about every school in Japan, and thus they are featured quite prominently in anime. Sweet potatoes are a staple food during the season there, so that's something I included. Autumn is also the time of year to go hiking in the mountains to see all the foliage, and it's also an ideal time to go dipping in the hot springs which commonly found in the mountains. While I could have listed hot springs as well, they pretty much go together and taking in the scenery at the mountains is usually the reason for the trip more so than taking a dip in the onsen. I had to think about something that would fit the bill for the last one, and I simply decided that the changeover to winter uniforms is something that happens every fall, so that's what I went with to round off my list.

With a good amount of anime taking place in the spring or summer without involving the other seasons that it was quite hard to come up with stuff associated with the fall. Obviously, Japan prides itself on starting everything in the spring, and summer is a prime opportunity for fanservice, which is unfortunately a huge part of a show's appeal. And then with the limited number of episodes a show gets that there are some shows that just run out of real estate right after summer vacation ends. That makes it harder to see exactly what goes on in the other seasons, relatively speaking. Of course, amazing things still take place in that season in Japan.

As a bonus, the five things in America that are associated with autumn are school, football, new TV shows, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. But these things don't apply in Japan seeing that school starts in the spring over there, football is about as popular there as volleyball in the USA is, summer isn't full of reruns, Halloween was just recently introduced as a holiday there, and Thanksgiving is an American thing only.
            MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
            Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
            Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
              Roasting and eating sweet potatoes comes to mind. :D
              Some people buy chips when they cannot buy sweet potatoes to roast.

Actually, haiku-wise, 'yaki-imo' (roast sweet potatoes) is a winter kigo. In fact, Lawson convenience stores start to sell yaki-imo in December.
              However, there are also shops which start to sell yaki-imo in late autumn, and the best time of year for some kinds of sweet potatoes is not only winter but also late autumn. So it is OK to eat yaki-imo also in late autumn. ^_^

'And autumn, what our golden harvests were.'
              Last edited by kijakusai; 11-05-2015, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mc-Taz View Post
                I wish I had thought of it earlier, but I just checked and found that The Beast Player Erin (Kemono no Souja Erin) was originally a light novel series. Such an amazing show, but nevertheless there are plenty of noteworthy options in the poll this week.
                Er―no offence is meant, but actually, Kemono no Sōja is usually categorised as 'regular' fantasy or jidō bungaku (juvenile literature), rather than a light novel series, in Japan. In fact, 2ch's light novel board does not have an Uehashi Nahoko thread, and 2ch's juvenile literature board has an Uehashi Nahoko thread.
                Kemono no Sōja was published in hardcover format, 'regular, i.e., not-a-light-novel' bunko format and aimed-at-children shinsho format. It seems that only the aimed-at-children shinsho edition has illustrations. If Kemono no Sōja had been a light novel series, it would have been published under a light-novel-proper otacky bunko imprint and the bunko edition would have had otaku-é illustrations and cover art.
                However, as the talk between bctaris and me, too, suggests, there are neighbouring genres/spheres on the 'light novel' sphere. So even if you had mentioned Kemono no Sōja in the 'Best Light Novel Adaptation Ever' thread, probably ThreNushi-san (bctaris) would not have opposed your mention.

Comment

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
                  Er―no offence is meant, but actually, Kemono no Sōja is usually categorised as 'regular' fantasy or jidō bungaku (juvenile literature), rather than a light novel series, in Japan. In fact, 2ch's light novel board does not have an Uehashi Nahoko thread, and 2ch's juvenile literature board has an Uehashi Nahoko thread.
                  Kemono no Sōja was published in hardcover format, 'regular, i.e., not-a-light-novel' bunko format and aimed-at-children shinsho format. It seems that only the aimed-at-children shinsho edition has illustrations. If Kemono no Sōja had been a light novel series, it would have been published under a light-novel-proper otacky bunko imprint and the bunko edition would have had otaku-é illustrations and cover art.
                  However, as the talk between bctaris and me, too, suggests, there are neighbouring genres/spheres on the 'light novel' sphere. So even if you had mentioned Kemono no Sōja in the 'Best Light Novel Adaptation Ever' thread, probably ThreNushi-san (bctaris) would not have opposed your mention.
                  Heh, sure, I would have counted it. I don't want to take these list things too seriously.

This is kind of off topic (I don't care; it's my thread; and I moderate the forum ) but have we been seeing more of that "juvenile literature" being adapted into anime? Sound! Euphonium was more in that category, as well, wasn't it?
                  TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                    This is kind of off topic (I don't care; it's my thread; and I moderate the forum ) but have we been seeing more of that "juvenile literature" being adapted into anime? Sound! Euphonium was more in that category, as well, wasn't it?
                    Recently, in Japan, there is popular fiction which can be translated as 'light literature'. It is placed between light novels and 'regular' popular fiction, and 'light literature' is aimed at people in their 20s and 30s. (So it seems that there are twentysomething/thirtysomething lower-middlebrow people for whom even 'regular' popular fiction is too 'heavy'. It may be interesting if a Japanese Russell Lynes/Paul Fussell/Pierre Bourdieu scrutinises this scene.)
                    People think Sound! Euphonium belongs to 'light literature'. People also think that Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation belongs to 'light literature'.

Comment

Reminder to vote in the poll--wicked ties right now! Closes tonight.

Also, last chance to mention what Fall means to you in anime.

Thanks!
                      TFP Forum Rules

Comment

A five-way tie for first with 5 votes, and a four-way tie for "2nd" with 4 votes. Interestingly enough there's a three-way tie for series with 3 votes. :D There really are a lot of beloved shows present in this list to have that kind of splitting effect. It's nice to see, and I certainly agree that there is quite a bit of quality present, and especially those at the top. Will there have to be a run-off of sorts?
                        Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
                        Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

A five-way tie for first with 5 votes, and a four-way tie for "2nd" with 4 votes. Interestingly enough there's a three-way tie for series with 3 votes. :D There really are a lot of beloved shows present in this list to have that kind of splitting effect. It's nice to see, and I certainly agree that there is quite a bit of quality present, and especially those at the top. Will there have to be a run-off of sorts?
                          Not going to be that judgmental about it. The basic tie-breaking scheme still works out, based on what has more multiple nominations (those do mean something) and what was nominated first (and/or received its last additional nomination first). It's arbitrary (but so is a poll in a small anime forum with a dozen or so voters) but the final lists, while "ranked," are generally presented as just the the top five best/favorite group of something. The positions are not really important at that point.

But, in any case, the Best Light Novel Adaptation Ever [Since Yesterday, Until the Next Time Someone Asks]:

#5: Toradora
                          #4: Monogatari Series
                          #3: Haruhi Suzumiya
                          #2: Maria Watches Over Us
                          #1: Gosick
                          TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse