X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2015] Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ヴァルキリードライヴ マーメイド

A yuri action show where girls can turn into weapons by kissing each other.

Airs: Saturday, October 10

Studio: Arms

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

In a world where five artificial islands exists, Mamori is a "mermaid" transferred to one of those islands. When Mamori is attacked, a newly transferred girl named Mirei saves her. The enemy doesn't stop, however, and the two are soon cornered. Just when they think all hope is lost, Mirei kisses Mamori, and Mamori turns into a sword. Mirei then wields the sword and launches a counterattack against their enemies.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 10-10-2015, 01:07 AM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Re: Episode 01

Since no one is brave enough to talk about this series, I'll go first. :D All that I'm going to say is that if you like yuri and fanservice in spads, you'll like this series. I will say that this series is not far off being hentai IMO . I feel very sorry for Funimation for getting this series, as I wonder how they are going to market this series when it comes out, considering the content of this episode alone. Heck I even wonder if this series will get a dub.

Comment

Originally posted by ibby View Post
      Since no one is brave enough to talk about this series, I'll go first.
      It's not that, it's just that Funimation hasn't put the episode up yet. Heck, the show page isn't even there right now.
      Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
        It's not that, it's just that Funimation hasn't put the episode up yet. Heck, the show page isn't even there right now.
        I saw the show through other means then the 'official' way. Still, I wonder when the episode viewable, I wonder if Funimation will censor/edit anything or put up a viewing warning/classification before this episode goes up. No pun intended.

Comment

Me likey. This is definitely strong ecchi and for an oppai lover like myself, it's right in the zone. Also, it seems like it'll have characters and humour that I like. I didn't bother getting past the first eppie of Bikini Warriors because it seemed like fanservice was all it had to offer, but I think this one will hold my interest.

No way will Funi stream an uncensored version of this which means I won't be watching the Funi stream. It's okay, though, because I'll likely pick up the home release at some point.

Comment

She's a virgin and everybody knows it.

And so it begins with Mamori being washed ashore and suddenly attacked by a yuri couple. It turns out she's a weapon who transforms when raped, and the one doing it is Mirei, who is another transfer student. And then the two find themselves in another battle, but the toughest part was not the fight itself, but to get her to transform.

That was downright shit there. I was expecting this to be one of the worst shows of the season based on the fact that this is all about marketing a video game and it is being animated by one of the worst studios in Arms. So far, it's holding to form as there's no backstory whatsoever as it just goes straight into the action and fanservice failing to do any setup. Seeing that it's all about getting the game to sell that of course this show would get straight to the action and not bother to put in any story into it. Then there's the fanservice that I would have to imagine being so outrageous with the need for a lot of censorship. Anyway, to the drop pile this show will eventually find itself, but I'll give it another episode before that happens.

Comment

Re: Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid Discussion Thread

Pretty great first episode, if I do say so myself. I love Mamori already!

I've been very curious about this series' setting, and things seem to be setting up pretty nicely, the "vaccination" setup they have, by launching these girls into these closed off islands is pretty interesting as well, and I hope to see the backstory behind that and the "virus" covered more in the future. But yeah, I'm loving the premise of Liberator and Exter already, and I look forward to seeing more of everyday life on Mermaid as well.

Animation was great (especially on "those" assets) as expected with Hiraku Kaneko and Masaya Nozaki overseeing those things (giving the animation staff dedicated nipple charts for every character, and making sure all the animation for those areas are done well). It's too bad FUNi has to stream the censored version. Ah well, this is already a sure thing I plan to get eventually on home video, so hopefully that'll happen down the line at some point.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to next week. This has been one of my most anticipated anime series' in awhile.

Comment

Oh Jesus, I thought I was prepared for this show, but I guess not. Holy shit.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Originally posted by ibby View Post
                  I feel very sorry for Funimation for getting this series, as I wonder how they are going to market this series when it comes out, considering the content of this episode alone.
                  You're puzzled at how they're going to market a yuri-filled, fan service, bouncing naked (though presently censored) boobie-filled show. whose first episode is titled "I Am Deflowered" that you describe as "not far off from being hentai." I submit that your questions & concerns are your answer.

The WTF is strong with this one.
                  My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                  1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                  2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                  3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

Who wants to marry a weapon?

And now, wedding arrangements are made for Mamori to determine who she will marry into as her wielder, and without question it was Mirei, who broke out after being chained up with the help of the girl with the cowboy hat. At least things are being explained now, but still the show's concept is something that is made to go crazy with the fanservice, and that's something that might be fine if it were done right, but that's one thing this show doesn't do. Anyway, I wasn't planning to stick with this show, but I decided to check this out. So with that my curiosity has been fulfilled and to the drop pile this goes.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine
                    Working...
                    X