Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 8

Reclaim the honor.

Ikki takes on Kuraudo to get Ayase's school back. Kuraudo proves to be very tough as his snake sword and super-quick reflexes gave Ikki problems. But Ikki's vision is able to keep up all while Kuraudo gets tired out allowing Ikki to deliver the finishing blow. With the win, Ayase has her school back, and her father later recovers all while she admits her foul play that gets her suspended from school.

That was a great fight there, and even though Kuraudo is faster, it is not something that Ikki can't handle. When it comes to vision and anticipation, nobody does it better than Ikki. It's nice to see that the honor was restored seeing that Ayase was going on the wrong patch thanks to that punk.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Now that she's back on the honorable path, I'm kind of hoping we'll have a chance to see Ayase being awesome in a later arc. She, in the end, did make an indirect contribution to Ikki's victory through him being able to copy the sword style. One thing I was most happy about with Ikki showing his stuff again, though, was Stella's commentary on it. I think it really shows how much she's gotten to understand him over the course of the series.

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Another fine episode, if nothing all that amazing in the grand scheme. Good stuff; I look forward to seeing what happens after this arc.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 9

Lightning strikes.

Ikki and Stella go on a retreat to the mountains to train. Stella and Renren are engaged in an intense game of badminton. Then it rains as Ikki and Stella end up taking shelter from the rain in a lodge where Stella strips down to dry out. But a giant golem attacks and this guy just multiplies as they crumble, but in comes Toka who uses her lightning slash to destroy all of them. And Toka is who Shizuku fights next as she went home because of a letter her mother wrote, who her father ordered her to write.

Toka makes quite a flashy entrance there seeing that she had been missing. And she is also Shizuku's next opponent, who is just as infuriated with her father as Ikki is. There sure was some silly Stella fanservicey drama there in the lodge, but in the end it does a solid job in bringing those two together even more. And then there's Renren who is pretty funny with her speed and stuff turning a game of badminton into something crazy. Next time, Shizuku and Toka fight, and it should be something to see with Toka obliterating those golems just like that.
          Last edited by Buckeye; 11-28-2015, 11:10 AM.
          Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
          Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 9

As usual, I like the (uncommonly realistic) development between the two leads more than anything else in this show, so this was another good episode in my book. Some real development on the plot side in the end as well, so positive thoughts all around.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 10

Following in her brother's footsteps.

Shizuku squares off against Toka, and while water is a poor match for lightning, she's using pure water that has no conductors. While she tries to keep her distance, Toka is able to read her pretty easily as she learned a special technique designed to read their opponent. But Shizuku unleashes a powerful attack to freeze the entire battlefield and immobilize Toka in the fog, but it is cut away with the Raikiri.

That's a nicely done battle there, and it goes to show just how much Shizuku loves her big brother. But in the end, Toka is just too strong seeing that she almost won this contest last year. While that's going on, it looks like Ikki's father is up to no good and it will be interesting to see just what kind of nasty scheme he has going.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

Another excellent fight, and without the happy ending that you'd normally expect. Still pleasantly surprised.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 11

Another One bites the dust.

Ikki's father puts his scheme into motion as his henchman Akaza is the chairman of the ethics committee. He secretly snaps a photo of Ikki and Stella kissing and publishes it causing an uproar, and leading to Ikki being arrested as a means to prevent him from becoming a knight. Instead of a trial to prove his innocence, he is put through a series of battles that he managed to win, but he is gassed as his final battle is against Toka.

There are evil bastards, and then there's Akaza who is just pure evil, and he's all about making sure that Ikki suffers defeat in the worst possible way. That was pretty painful to watch Ikki suffering like that, but of course he's someone who knows how to deal with pain better than anybody. One more episode left, and now Ikki must battle Toka in such a sorry state. It's already tough enough having to battle Toka at full strength, but in his condition he's facing monumentally long odds.

Comment

Re: Episode 11

I was thinking about how Touka had been rather unusual personality-wise for a twin-braided megane, all rather cool and badass. I can think of another character that only got like that after losing that image. But here we actually get to see what she's like "normally" and it's a rather sweet image. It's nice to see the vice-president's connection to her. And bonds like this are important, as we see them tested in very dark ways with Ikki and Stella as the former succumbs to a plot. Shizuku had more than good reason to be so negative about her father. Doesn't look like there's much hope there. Going to be interesting to see what the match with Touka brings. She lost her parents but seemingly had a great connection with them. Seems like a contrast with Ikki that could come up.

I love how Oreki-sensei got her chance to shine using one of her silly gags to actually help out Ikki in a serious way this time. Seems like Oonuma got to doing some of the stylistic stuff he likes this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                      Another One bites the dust.

Ikki's father puts his scheme into motion as his henchman Akaza is the chairman of the ethics committee. He secretly snaps a photo of Ikki and Stella kissing and publishes it causing an uproar, and leading to Ikki being arrested as a means to prevent him from becoming a knight. Instead of a trial to prove his innocence, he is put through a series of battles that he managed to win, but he is gassed as his final battle is against Toka.

There are evil bastards, and then there's Akaza who is just pure evil, and he's all about making sure that Ikki suffers defeat in the worst possible way. That was pretty painful to watch Ikki suffering like that, but of course he's someone who knows how to deal with pain better than anybody. One more episode left, and now Ikki must battle Toka in such a sorry state. It's already tough enough having to battle Toka at full strength, but in his condition he's facing monumentally long odds.

Well, this establishes one thing: Ikki can now join the support group, Parental Assholes Anonymous. His father, unfortunately for Ikki, qualifies for "Hall of Fame Asshole Parent" status.

That was a really good episode. Suddenly, like Stella, we see that Ikki actually had valid reasons for not making love to Stella when she offered herself to him. I'm actually impressed with the writing: It had a valid, genuine reason behind it. My initial reaction was that it made no sense, given his reasoning, that something along the lines of "you're not well, we'll talk about this later when you're better," would've been better. Glad to see the writers knew what they were doing.

Speaking of good writing, we get to know Toka in this episode, which does an excellent job of 1) making us like her...a lot...in order to, 2) make us even more conflicted about the upcoming fight between her and Ikki.
                      Last edited by General Hentai; 12-12-2015, 05:25 PM.
                      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Wow, that went places I never expected from this series. And that's to say nothing of the stylistic choice that affected nearly all of the episode. Damn. Quite the unusual case we have here.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

From worst to first.

Ikki is set to square off against Toka to be exonerated, but thanks to Akaza's scheme that he's on the verge of being DQ'd for not showing up. With some encouragement from his classmates he inspired, Ikki makes it to the fight where it ends up being a quick draw battle where it all comes down to one strike, and Ikki is victorious. Then Stella lets everybody know that she loves Ikki as the two are six of the representatives for the Seven Star Festival. As for Ikki's father, Stella's family is letting him know that adults should not be butting in like this.

That was just an incredible way to end this show. Pretty much, Ikki had no choice but to risk it all with a single swing given the sad shape he was in, and it takes pain and a purpose to push someone beyond their limits like that. By deciding the battle like this is the best of all worlds seeing that Toka was willing to throw the fight, but she couldn't bring herself to do that. Anyway, this show definitely has been a pleasant surprise this season seeing that Ikki went against great odds to get to the top.

Overall, this show started off as being another generic light novel adaptation where it's all about style without much substance. But shortly after this show does an excellent job in addressing a lot of issues that many shows of this kind tend to ignore. The action is great, the character development is solid, and the show makes effective use of the whole us against the world mentality. The two things I especially like about this show are that the OTP is established so that this show would not run into many problems that harems tend to have, and that Ikki's OP-ness is well-managed seeing that he flamed out as a blazer and thus, a failure among his family. That said, this show had too many generic concepts that made it tough to watch in the early going, but otherwise it's quite a good show.

MAL Rating: ********--

Comment

Re: Episode 12 (Finale)

I like the message there. Stella is important to Ikki, and there's wonderful progress yet again with her at the end, but more than just her, all the people's who he's really inspired showed up to encourage him too. He's changed since the start: not simply persevering through the masses looking down of him. The ones who are maliciously trying to take them down, though we've seen how terrifying they are the previous episode, appear few and petty. And he's finally able to see this.

I still love how much Touka's battle spirit is a contrast to her her everyday persona. The battle was over quickly, not too suprised by that honestly, but they certainly got GAR to the extreme, Touka included :D , right up to the final strike. Love how they both succeeded in their desire for an honorable match over a setup that was calculated to be anything but that.

Comment

No OP, two beautiful arrangements of it at poignant moments, another song by the same artist as an insert song, and then the OP song itself as an insert song for the climax, which transitions to the style of the OP sequence for its duration. Damn, I never thought I'd appreciate anything about this show this much. I'm sure as hell glad I stuck with it.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

This really was a well done series, and, damn it, I want more! This covered the first 3 light novels...and there have been 9 released to date...so there's certainly enough material to put out at least one more season.

The key to this series is the romance between Ikki and Stella. It's an age-believable one, and a surprise at that, as we get confession and acceptance by the 4th episode. We have a girl who wants to do "ecchi" things with her new boyfriend, and even, by episode 9, offers herself to him, which he gracefully declines, though he tells her that he wants to, but he wants them to get to the point where no one will challenge their relationship. It doesn't make all that much sense at the time, as I thought there were better and more believable turn-downs, but when the excrement hits the fan in episode 11, suddenly his restraint actually makes sense, a lot of sense. This was an excellent series, and I hope that we get another season.
                                My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                                1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                                2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                                3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X