X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2015] Chivalry of a Failed Knight Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    落第騎士の英雄譚(キャバルリィ)

A show about a guy who is a total failure of a knight. That's not exactly accurate because in truth he's quite a strong guy, just not in the areas that determine his rank.

Airs: Saturday, October 3

Studio: Silver Link

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Hulu

In a world where human with supernatural powers known as Blazer who can materialize a Device, weapons made through a person soul. Ikki Kurogane who was dubbed the Failure Knight by everyone around him encounters a half-naked girl, Stella Vermillion, who was changing in his room. The fateful encounter which change Ikki's life as he strives to reach the peak of Seven Star Sword Art Festival and becoming a real Mage Knight. The Seven Star Sword Art Festival is an annual event held by the seven Mage Knight Academies in Japan to determine the strongest apprentice knight between the schools. The winner of the festival would be known as the Seven Stars Sword Kings. The Seven Star Sword Art Festival consists of actual combat and competitors may die in the festival.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Battles are not won on paper.

It's a case of deja vu all over again. I thought I was watching Asterisk War all over again, but this is a different show. MC meets a red-headed, hot-tempered, fire-using princess in her underwear, and the two square off in a battle. Only this time, the battle does go through. Ikki and Stella end up being roommates as Stella is the odd one out on the top while Ikki is the odd one on the bottom. It's pretty clear who wins this battle. Or is it? As it turns out, the "Worst One" is a pretty strong warrior, but he's a failure because he's weak in the areas that make up his rank. While it's the same generic trope-filled show that I watched earlier today, at least Asterisk War has much better action than this.

Seeing that I decided to use a month-long free trial on Hulu that had been sitting on the shelves that I decided to use it since I'm also watching a couple of Viz shows on Hulu, but it doesn't look like I'll be in it for the long haul. I'll watch it through the usual trial period, but chances are it won't make it past that.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

The cliches sure are readily apparent this season with these shows airing in close proximity to each other. For whatever reason, I'm feeling at least a little better about this one. It has the anime staff of Rokujyouma on it, for one thing. That won't mean much if the material it's adapting from happens to be weak, but there some room for character development with the themes in this one that I didn't get in some of the other generic LE adaptations. But it's only one episode, so it could turn out I'll be just as tired with this one as the others. Stella's expression of her dere side was pretty fun. Like how she uses her excuse to get a look at Ikki's body. I'll be curious to see how the other main characters yet to be introduced will play in this as well.

Comment

Lol I couldn't stop laughing at how predictable the events in this episode were.

The artwork looks nice. The comedy was okay too. I'm not sure about the story though. I'll give it a couple more episodes mainly because Silver Link.
        My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Having knowledge of the source material, for both this and asterisk, I'd have to say I'll like this one better than asterisk. Mostly because I like Stella quite a bit, after the first little opening part, and this one manages to do 1 or 2 small things that surprised me.

I doubt many people would call either of them shining examples of originality though.

Comment

Originally posted by contention View Post

I doubt many people would call either of them shining examples of originality though.
            Nope, but I enjoyed the opening episode of Asterisk and I also enjoyed this opening episode as well. There's enough of a different feel between the two that I'm not troubled by the similarities...so far. That said, I definitely like Stella as a character. This show also has promise.
            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

You know, I have to appreciate all the little ways this show subverts the usual crap of this genre. The guy who walks in on the tsundere princess while changing? Offers up his own naked body in response. The tsundere princess? She has her own interests in the guy's naked body. It also helps that Ikki is overall nice but also crafty and not naive about things, and that Stella also seems to be genuinely nice when she actually gets to understand him, as well as having something of an interesting backstory.

I usually tend to avoid Those Shows, but this one might actually be worth following, especially if they can keep the interactions between Ikki and Stella on the interesting side.
              Still alive and lurking.

Avatar: Arisu from The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls, representing my state after each workday.

Comment

This was a lot more fun than the rest of the generic light novel shows so far this season (of which there was an incredible glut almost instantaneously), thanks mostly to the leads going outside the box for some added silliness just a little bit. With some of the setup in this episode, I might actually enjoy seeing them as roommates. And this was surprisingly well-produced when it needed to be as well. I wasn't expecting much from it in that regard, but it's not bad. I needed a Hulu subscription for One Punch Man anyway, so while I'm not happy that Sentai is doing Hulu exclusives now, I'm glad to have one this season, because compared to all the stuff that fits similar molds so far, this is the one that I actually feel is worth following, at least for now.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

He was set up to fail.

Ikki's sister Shizuku is introduced, and she shows her affection in front of Stella to cause a lot of trouble. Ikki's background is explained as he is from a distinguished family of Blazers, but seeing that he doesn't have the skill that he was thrown away as if he didn't exist, but his grandfather took him in and trained him to be a knight. And then it ends with Stella being a servant when Ikki didn't ask her to be, and it leads to trouble.

That was a nice way to explain Ikki's situation. He sure did have it quite rough there seeing that he just wasn't accepted by his family and could only think about disappearing. But thankfully he has such a loving grandfather who is out to prove that even though he fails as a Blazer, he still has other qualities that make him strong. Anyway, that was better than the first episode, and the comedy is pretty good and used effectively.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I continue to really enjoy the way the bond is forming between the two leads. We continue to see Stella so adorably assertive. She's way more dere than tsun, and Ishigami Shizuka is so masterful at this (Ellis, and of course Nikumi). It's all wonderful.

Funny how Stella kind of sensed the usual brocon pattern coming, trying to inquire of the blood status when his sister was brought up. And the answer satisfied her, but then I thought "but since when has that stopped it in anime". Of course... Even before those antics, though, we already saw in the intro there was something underneath it for Shizuku. She's wanting to make up for the lack of love from the rest of his family. It is interesting that it's looking like we will see a connection for her with *gasp* a different guy, her roommate. Curious how the "big sister" relationship from him will turn out.

Happy to see Kitta Izumi gets to voice a delightfully weird character here. Haven't really heard much from her in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                      I continue to really enjoy the way the bond is forming between the two leads. We continue to see Stella so adorably assertive. She's way more dere than tsun, and Ishigami Shizuka is so masterful at this (Ellis, and of course Nikumi). It's all wonderful.

Funny how Stella kind of sensed the usual brocon pattern coming, trying to inquire of the blood status when his sister was brought up. And the answer satisfied her, but then I thought "but since when has that stopped it in anime". Of course... Even before those antics, though, we already saw in the intro there was something underneath it for Shizuku. She's wanting to make up for the lack of love from the rest of his family. It is interesting that it's looking like we will see a connection for her with *gasp* a different guy, her roommate. Curious how the "big sister" relationship from him will turn out.

Happy to see Kitta Izumi gets to voice a delightfully weird character here. Haven't really heard much from her in a while.
                      Yeah, another good episode here. I like how Stella's quickly joined Team Ikki. Why, yes, she will take that indirect kiss, thank you very much. LOL!

Shizuku's unusual expression of love for her blood relation was not entirely unexpected. (EmperorBrandon, the correct phrase is "but since when has that stopped it in Japan.")
                      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Tomoko-sensei! Glad to see she was able to reach adulthood after all, though there's some irony to her ending up a supporting role in a high school harem.

As the tropes pile on it gets harder to fully get behind this series, but I'm still with it for now. I continue to appreciate Stella being open with her sex drive.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

So, many LN readers claim that this isn't a harem anime. MAL also doesn't tag it as harem. But after this episode, I'm having a hard time believing that this isn't your usual harem anime. This had everything you would see in one of those generic harem stuff.

Ikki was the ignored child in the family because he didn't have any special powers. So gramps told him to never give up. So he wants to be a knight to become like his gramps and also prove the rest of the Kuroganes wrong. Stella has a newfound respect for him. And also the desire to become his sex slave even though he told her to be his roommate. She probably didn't understand him completely.

Lol at Stella and Shizuku insulting each other. Shizuku starts talking to random guy X about her family life without getting to know him or anything.

Not really looking forward to anything here, but I'm sticking around for maybe another episode in case it stops acting like those generic stuff out there.
                          My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Episode 3

Emerging from the shadows.

Ikki and Stella join Shizuku and the effeminate man Alice on a trip to the shopping mall, something that Stella has never seen before. But their outing is interrupted by a terrorist group taking women and children hostage, and they had Stella stripping. But Shizuku's water wall and Alice's shadow magic come through to save the day, all while Ikki cut off the guy's hand. Then comes Kirihara out of nowhere and he's Ikki's first opponent.

That's a pretty solid episode there, and Shizuku was looking cute in that outfit, all while Stella's antics continue to be amusing at times and annoying at others. But then there is Kirihara, and he's quite the schmuck. It will be interesting to see what his history is with Ikki, but whatever it is that it can't be good.

So with that, I'll give it another episode and more likely two more since that's how much longer I have on my Hulu trial, but I think I will at least go to the end of this arc before making a decision. At the very least, one of the two between this show and Asterisk War will make it, but as far as seeing if one of those two shows are to be dropped, I'll decide that once I see at least one more episode of both shows.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

So many great adorable facial expressions from Stella... About to set up a date, but then Shizuku had to crash those plans. But Stella returns the favor since she tags alone and thus ruins Shizuku's plans. Love how Stella overdoes the attempt to get Ikki to eat food off her face too.

We have continued tensions between those two, but I also like that with this episode's crisis, we get to see them work together. Though really Alice is rather interesting too: all four of them got to form a bond that really came together nicely in a tough situation. Ikki would have jumped into too quickly if Alice had not been there to restrain him and let his sister do her stuff. Neat how the element of Shizuku's powers is also a contrast with Stella.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X