X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2015] Noragami Aragoto Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ノラガミ ARAGOTO

The tracksuit-wearing god of war is back continuing to hit it big 5 yen at a time. This season focuses on Bishamon and her band of regalia seeing that she didn't get much screen time in the first season.

Airs: Friday, October 2

Studio: Bones

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

Season 1 Discussion Thread

In the second season of Noragami the main focus is on Bishamon, god of combat. She has many shinki due to her being unable to abandon spirits attacked by Ayakashi. She has a large group of shinki with her as leader, causing her trouble as she sometimes cannot tend to all of them properly, especially when one of them gets sick or is in pain. She has a strong hate for Yato, as a dark past binds the two of them. How will the horrifying events dated hundreds of years ago in combination with current evil happenings affect Yato and Yukine?

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

She'll have another.

And so, this season starts off with Yato babysitting for five yen, all while slaying a phantom in the process that had entered a mirror in the bedroom. Meanwhile, Bishamon has gained herself another Regalia, posthumously named Mineha, after slaying some bird phantom that got into her soul. But it turns out there's a huge drawback to having so many Regalias as Bishamon's health starting to deteriorate. And while that's going on, Yukine meets one of Bishamon's Regalia.

That's a nice way to pick up things after the last season only introduced Bishamon all while not really expanding on her character. Seeing how her story is going to be pretty comprehensive that it made sense to have that filler arc at the end of the first season rather than trying to tell Bishamon's story with only three episodes and save it for a second season. In any case, it's business as usual with Yato, and it's great stuff all around, all while there's a lot going on with Bishamon that's full of intrigue. And while the theme songs are not as great as the ones for the first season, the music continues to be really good.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So glad to be back. Prettier than ever, with the same great Iwasaki score.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

FUNimation doesn't have them, so this probably won't be an issue to many, but for those of you who may be curious about the first season's OVA's, DO NOT watch the second one of those (I think the first may come after the events of this season as well, but it's mostly silly fun) before seeing this season. I got something spoiled for me before I realized I should stop and watch later.

Anyway, what looked to be another one of Yato's trivial odd jobs actually turned into something with a potentially dark direction. Even babies have their issues that can attract phantoms. Hiyori is awesome and sweet as usual. Liked we got to see her be the first one to jump into action.

Looks like we're going to know Bishamon a lot better than we did with the first season, and definitely quite curious to find out even from what we see this episode. Her "family" is quite huge. She takes an unusually compassionate approach among the gods in taking in so many regalias, as it leaves her at greater risk of being stung and blighted. Seems like there may be intrigue among such a big group too, with the medicine guy spreading rumors about Kazuma's aid to Yato being rather suspicious. Wonder what's up with the girl who was rather aloof when Mineha was being welcomed, too. Looks like we're getting into serious stuff rather quickly though there's still a few fun moments around this episode.
        Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 10-02-2015, 07:40 PM.

Comment

More Yato and his money collecting and subsequently wasting lol. They get to getting rid of more phantoms.

Bishamon likes saving the poor spirits out there and then takes them into her family. Just like what happened with Yato in the first season when Yukine turned bad, the same can happen to Bishamon since she has a ton of regalia and she can't possibly keep an eye on all of them so who knows what they might be doing. The dream we saw was most likely this exact thing. Bishamon's regalias went bad and caused those blights all over her and Yato came to eliminate the bad regalias since that was one way to save Bishamon. But Bishamon probably didn't like what Yato did since she probably wanted to save them too. Thus, she holds a grudge against Yato. Yato was doing the right thing in his own way. The scene in the OP where Bishamon is lying on someone's lap, who looks like Yato, could be something like the aftermath of Yato's action.

The OP reminded me that we still haven't seen much of that loli with the mask. She came towards the end. It's either that they didn't tell much about her or that my memory is failing me here.

The new guy who was preparing Bishamon's bath seems bad. The pink haired girl also looks like she'll turn bad and then things will end up just like that time many years ago when Bishamon got those blights.
          My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Episode 2

What does it mean to be a regalia?

Yukine makes a friend out of Suzuha, who is one of Bishamon's regalia who is into flowers. Meanwhile, one of Bishamon's regalia has become tainted, and after close examinations it turned out to be a false alarm. But the culprit is actually the one conducting the examination Kuguha, who is plotting something with Nora to take down Yato.

Things got serious pretty quickly seeing that the first season was mostly silly stuff until halfway through the season. Kuguha is up to no good, and it remains to be seen just what exactly he plans to do seeing that his traitorous actions are causing a lot of pain for Bishamon. And not only that he knows when to put up the facade to hide his intentions. There's plenty of trouble ahead.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

So the friendship with Suzuha, who has had a mortal friend who constantly forgotten about him, is there to get Yukine to face his feelings about what the future will hold for Hiyori and them. Not surprising this weight heavily on Yato too. They did already get to something like that with the anime original ender arc of the first season, but maybe we'll get something more fleshed out in that regard too.

Poor Suzuha, though. Not only was their the Near Shore girl, but his own master had not payed much attention to him either. He's easily caught off guard and killed for nefarious ends on Kugaha's part. So the fact I got spoiled on has come to pass quickly, but sad to see when Yukine had plans of furthering their friendship and introducing Hiyori. Also really further establishes just how problematic and uneasy the family situation is for Bishamon. She cares for them all, but with so many, she can't establish a close connection with absolutely everyone. Those who are not close are not open with her (as with the scene of the girls distressed about Suzuha not coming back), and we have seen how bad that was for Yato when Yukine was like that (on that note, great to see the latter's growth in that regard this very episode, with them being open with each other over Hiyori).

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
              But the culprit is actually the one conducting the examination Kuguha, who is plotting something with Nora to take down Yato.
              Uh, I think you've got that wrong. He explicitly says at the end that Bishamon is his target. I'm curious what we'll see of his motivations regardless.

Comment

Wow, I wasn't expecting that for Suzuha so quickly. Such a sad life he led, and when he found some quality camaraderie it was all over with no catharsis or reason. This is going to hit Yukine really hard. I can hardly even imagine. So unfair.

Suzuha's reaction to seeing his little girl grown up to the age he physically is was adorable, if a bit weird when you think about it. Such is the fate of the ageless. Always bittersweet.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Lol Kuguha got to see everything and also got to show everything.

So Suzuha is now gone thanks to Kuguha who gave him the final push. Just like Suzuha, there are other regalias who are almost there and need one little push. So what was up with the blight on Bishamon? Who caused it? If Suzuha is no longer alive, then there shouldn't be a small blight? Either there should be a big one or none at all. Because Suzuha is no longer alive as Bishamon's regalia. Or maybe Bishamon is resistant to this stuff or something. So what is Kuguha doing? Is the medicine he's giving making the blight appear and dissappear? He's got a lot of evil stuff planned here and unlike the last boss in the first season, he's here from the start.

The thought that Hiyori might forget Yato and Yukine isn't a nice one. Neither want that. For Yato it's even a bigger problem since she's the only human who remembers him. Hiyori might forget him if she goes back to normal. But maybe if she keeps regular contact with them it'll be okay. Who knows.

Comment

Episode 3

There's trouble in the air.

Yukine goes looking for answers about Suzuha's death, and that results in Kazuma being banished when he ends up at Bishamon's manor letting Bishamon know that she's not taking care of everybody. And then Yato is attacked by one of Bishamon's regalia, and then a bunch of phantoms as part of Kuguha's scheme.

Kuguha's plan is put into motion there, and when Nora is involved, nothing good can ever come out of it. Lots of trouble went on here seeing that there's Kuguha trying to take down Bishamon, who is trying to take down Yato. It will be interesting to see how this plays out now that Bishamon is having trouble keeping all of her regalia happy.
                    Last edited by Buckeye; 10-16-2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Kugaha's really taking advantage of the weaknesses in Bishamon's family building ideals. It's all coming apart in various ways, both as planned with some unplanned things going his way too, and even starting to hit her inner circle with things coming to a head with Kazuma. Yukine said what needed to be said about Suzuha, but unfortunately it all plays into the plot, and the most decent person of the group is exiled.

So now we get exactly what Aiha's deal was. It's jealousy about her not having as important of a role as in the past, with Tsuguha seemingly having taken her place. Even if she covers it with a hat now, I still love Tsuguha's new "bad" hairstyle. Nice that we have Ozawa Ari in at least one show this season that's actually good... I wonder when this is all over, what kind of mending we well get with Bishamon's family. Could be bittersweet if we end up getting more casualties beyond Suzuha.

In any case, it's going to be interested to see what Yato is going to do (looks like we're going to delve into the past issues with Bishamon while we're at it), though Yukine has to get through his latest bout of angst to help. I had thought of nominating Yato and Hiyori in the likely-to-hook-up poll, and now I'm thinking even more like I should have. I felt they had some great moments this episode, and that may continue.

Comment

So it turns out that killing Bishamon's regalias was the only option left to save her. Kazuma knows this but Bishamon isn't willing to accept it. Yukine had a point, if you can't take care of all these regalias, then why even have them? You should take care of every regalia since they're your property now. You can't just leave them just like that. Having a billion regalias is causing Bishamon problems again and things can end up with her regalias going bad all at once and then someone would have to kill them then.

Kugaha wants Yato and Bishamon to fight for whatever reason. He first put Kazuma out to weaken Bishamon since he synchronizes all the other battle regalias. Hiyori will act as bait to lure Yato towards Bishamon. And since Bishamon thinks of Yato as her enemy, a fight is inevitable.

Yukine is going through a lot. First his friend dies, then Kazuma gets exiled thanks to him, now Hiyori gets kidnapped. He hasn't come out of those problems yet and now Yato will need his help to save Hiyori.

Aiha turns out to be the blighted one after all. Kugaha is using her for his own goals. Since she's so consumed with jealousy, she can't see that Kugaha is doing something wrong.

But why wasn't Kugaha restrained like Aiha? Is he a nora or something? Or does he have something on him which makes him immune to such restraints?

Things are getting interesting here. Koufuku might also pitch in to save Hiyori since they've got an attachment. Kugaha will probably tell Bishamon that Hiyori is a stray spirit so take her in but Hiyori will resist. Or he might tell her that Hiyori is with Yato which might make her angry. But god damn that cliffhanger!

Comment

Oh man, this is all going so disgustingly well for Nora and Kugaha. Of course, come the end of the season, the catharsis should be pretty powerful.

Yukine actually didn't break down quite as extremely as I expected, but there are still a lot of stages of loss for him.

Snack stick!
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

The savior is the enemy.

Bishamon's history is told by Kazuma while imprisoned with Hiyori. As it turns out, he asked Yato to slaughter his clan as they were going rogue and putting Bishamon's life in danger. Despite being saved, Bishamon's hatred for Yato would always remain, and Kugaha is taking advantage of that so that he could control her. Just when Yato becomes a sitting duck, Yukine breaks to take the blow intended for him.

Hiyori is fine, but that was quite painful for her seeing Yato and Bishamon fighting as a result of Kuguha's treachery. Bishamon's past is told and it's quite painful. That really was something to see that what got them at odds with each other was actually an act of heroism, but of course all she sees from this is that Yato killed those close to her. And then the way the episode ended is just cruel.
                            Last edited by Buckeye; 10-23-2015, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

So Kugaha wants to kill Bishamon, have her reborn, and then control her. Simply put, he's jealous of Kazuma who was Bishamon's right hand regalia and he wanted the same kind of attention lol. And his plan is going nekoing perfectly.

So Yato killed off all of Bishamon's regalias at the request of Kazuma. Something happened and Bishamon started to blighten up. The regalias started to suspect each other and things got out of hand resulting in then becoming phantoms. There really wasn't any other way to save Bishamon. An ablution couldn't be done on such a large scale so killing them off was the only option – it was the only way to save Bishamon from getting eaten up by the regalia turned phantoms.

God damn that ending! I did not see that coming. Now what will become of poor little Yukine? Nekoing Kugaha. Kill him quick, Yato. I hope he gets killed with Yato and Bishamon working together once they see that he is the real enemy. That would be cool.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X