X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2015] Overlord Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    オーバーロード

A show about a player who is out to conquer the world of an online game that has transformed after being shut down.

Airs: Tuesday, July 7

Studio: Madhouse

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

The story begins with Yggdrasil, a popular online game which is quietly shut down one day; however, the protagonist Momonga decides to not log out. Momonga is then transformed into the image of a skeleton as "the most powerful wizard." The world continues to change, with non-player characters (NPCs) begining to feel emotion. Having no parents, friends, or place in society, this ordinary young man Momonga then strives to take over the new world the game has become.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Haru, My Roommate is a Cat
    Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

It was fun, but the fun's just getting started.

So what happens to games when it's pulled from the server? Momonga is finding out that rather than everything going black here, he's become the ruler of the otherwise all-NPC world. All of the NPCs gain personalities and now the guardians are under his command. So seeing that he lives a boring life that it's no wonder he has chosen to rule the world. That's a pretty nice start there, certainly with the feel SAO has, although being trapped in the game is limited to just one player rather than everybody. I'll stick around for awhile before making a decision on this show.
    Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

As this was starting up, I was thinking... "trapped in an MMORPG??? Again???" But then when the show proper starts up and we have the hilarious contrast between the "Overlord"'s inner personality and avatar, and his similarly amusing (whether it was meant to be or not) pensiveness about a game about to be shut down, and I kind of got hooked into this one. And after it completed the transition to "trapped in" mode I'm still decently intrigued about where it will go. So this seems like one I'm surprisingly pleased with and will continue to follow for now.

And dang, Albedo... those horns, those wings. Hot, and she seems pretty awesome so far too. Tabula-san knew what he was doing.

Comment

This was cool. I thought Momonga would be a total badass, but that's only his avatar version. He really isn't that cool a person, which makes things all the more great. Now skeleton-sama will have to act like the "Supreme One". The change in the tone of his voice when talking to himself and when talking to the NPCs is also a nice touch.

Momonga doesn't know why he is still logged in even after the game shut down and why the NPCs are more human. But he doesn't care now because this life as the Supreme One in this virtual world is far better than his daily boring life with no family or friends. Now to see what direction this show takes. The OP does show a lot of people so it could be that there are other people like Momonga who didn't log out before the game died, or they could be other NPCs who have turned human. In any case, this one has me hooked. I trust Madhouse to deliver with this one.
        My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

This could be interesting. I've only watched SAO of the stuck in the game shows, so I don't have any further reference points. I really enjoyed Satoshi Hino's ability to go back and forth between his real voice when he was thinking and the skeleton voice speaking as Momonga. It did drag a little as he kept making sure the game was "real" but I guess it's understandable that you wouldn't immediately believe what was happening. And then we meet all of the characters who are real now. Hopefully we get to see more of them and they're given some real interiority.

Comment

Originally posted by _PS_ View Post
            I really enjoyed Satoshi Hino's ability to go back and forth between his real voice when he was thinking and the skeleton voice speaking as Momonga.
            Me too. Pretty impressive how sharp a distinction he makes with them.

Comment

The contrast between Momonga's appearance and personality was already the most amusing early takeaway, and Hino's performance once he starts alternating between the two portrayals is definitely a highlight. It's interesting to see the perspective of an ending world from a timid everyman whose identity was likely defined more by that world than the real one.

Of course, it's not long before it not only becomes the next series to use this premise but also employs even more extreme wish fulfillment than is necessary, from Albedo's love/lust and Momonga's method of discerning the validity of his hypothesis to the utter servitude of all the now-sentient NPCs he's come across. I wonder how consistent that will be for the rest of it. Obviously there will be conflict, but hopefully his protagonist powers aren't too overpowering.

My primary interest came from it being a MADHOUSE show, but it was pretty clear a while ago that it wasn't one for their A-team. It's not bad after the CG skeleton barrage at the beginning, but it's not quite breathtaking either. The content, execution, and production values are all decent enough that I'll certainly be following it.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I think this will work in the long run only if it finds some reason for being (interesting) other than "loser salaryman gets ultimate wish-fulfillment in fantasy world." There are many ways it can do this, all of them pretty obvious to all of us by now, having seen this premise perhaps a touch too often now in recent years.

I agree with everyone that Hino's performance is about the most watchable thing in it so far, with his switching between meek "real" person and deep Dark Lord voice. Of course, it was hilarious when one of the kid elf guardians said "I thought you'd be scarier" and he responded "Would you like me to be scarier?" That's about the nicest Evil Boss ever
                Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Not sure where this is going. The switch here seems to be that the trapped individual is one of the bad guys. And I can understand his testing method on Albedo: There are limits to what can be done in games due to ratings. So, where do we go from here? I'll stick around to at least get the gist of it.
                  My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                  1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                  2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                  3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

Oh great supreme leader.

This episode basically introduces the floor guardians who will be serving Momonga and it's a pretty interesting bunch there. Albedo and Shalltear are rivals to be Momonga's waifu, while the twins are both traps with Aura actually being a girl and Mare being a boy, and Demiurge knows quite a lot of guys who used to fight players in the dungeon and can see through Momonga's armor. Mare sure has a useful ability that can be used to keep invaders out. So pretty much this is setup for things to go down with an invasion looming.

With that, I'll give it another episode or two before making a decision on this show. It has made a solid enough impression for me to press on, but the big test for this show is coming right up seeing that it's not exactly winning me over at this point.
                    Last edited by Buckeye; 07-14-2015, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

What was most interesting is that we got confirmation that Momonga's not in Kansas anymore: the world outside is different from what it was in the game. So, this isn't the game world: the guild base has been transported somewhere else with different geography…and potentially different dangers and enemies lurking out there. That is about the only thing that continues to hold my interest.
                      Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                      Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                      Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Most of the episode this time was spent on getting to survey the situation and introduce the guardians. Momonga rightly feels rather awkward about the glory heeped on him (Hino continues to be great with the variations, showing that awkwardness nicely even when he's doing his put-on speaking voice). I wonder if he can get his interactions with them moving in a more "natural" direction. Things like the twins recognizing his kindness seem to indicate that. There's some rather intriguing bits in the OP

Spoiler ->, like Momonga's battle maid Narberal out fighting with him in more of an adventurer type outfit, and even more intriguing was the bit with what looks to be Shalltear in red armor opposing Momonga.

So could be some twists with his servants ahead. Do wonder what sort of antagonists (of which we are first introduced at the end of this episode: hopefully being voiced by Koyasu is not a portent of Kawahara-style villainy) we will get.

Speaking of the twins again, I figured that they were probably the boyish girl and girly boy type of pair (makes me think of Dorothy and Leona from PriPara since they're recently on my mind) before that got the official reveal.
                        Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 07-14-2015, 05:54 PM.

Comment

The most interesting thing that stood out for me was hearing the floor guardians talk about the other players (the "supreme beings") and that Momonga stayed until "the end." So I wonder if they knew the game was going offline and what they thought that meant. Maybe they're... somehow... behind the transportation of the castle into some other place. Seeing them talk to each other without Momonga was interesting. I kept wondering in the first episode if he'd have to act like a Dark Lord (almost like this was a bodyswap story) because they'd turn on him if he didn't act normally/showed any weakness. Right now they all seem completely devoted to him but I am not sure I trust Demiurge (who I keep expecting to have the voice of Keiji Fujiwara because he totally looks like Evil Leorio.)

Comment

Wow, this show just keeps getting more masturbatory.

However! This whole business of the world being different and especially of Momonga noticing that he's mentally shifting from how he was as a regular human to the creature he exists as in this world is potentially very interesting, and turns this into something much more like Log Horizon than Sword Art Online... other than all the wish fulfillment.

Hopefully the villains are somewhat interesting, because I'm ready for someone to exist for something other than being in love with Momonga.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Lol the fight between Shalltear and Albedo turned from "who will be Momonga's wife" to "who will be the official wife". Also, "big mouthed gorilla" kinda fits Albedo given her ginormous mouth.

Demiurge also approved of the fight since he wants an heir to the throne. But can Momonga really have kids in this world? I mean, the guy's a skeleton... Demiurge probably didn't consider this.

So the game world has been sent somewhere else and Momonga has started to change a bit as a result. He's turning completely into a skeleton. And he also thinks that taking over the world would be enjoyable.

So will this go towards the world domination thing or will it be about people attacking skeleton headquarters and Momonga and his NPC army fight them or will it be about Momonga only defeating these evil people who are attacking villages?

The comedy was awesome here. It had that stupidity in it which was fun. I'm interested in seeing what exactly happened to the game world. The OP does suggest that there will be more people some with magical powers too. So maybe a lot of people were like Momonga and didn't leave the game and something happened. Or they are part of the world where Momonga headquarters has been sent.

This has me hooked for sure.
                              My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X