Widgets Magazine

Fate Zero - Fate stay night - boy these are way better than I thought...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fate Zero - Fate stay night - boy these are way better than I thought...

Widgets Magazine
    So, crow tastes amazing! Been staying away from fate stay night in its various incarnations because I didn't think it would be any good being based off of a hentai game that wasn't well known for plot and seemed to be just an excuse for battles with no real thematic content. I should really learn that Japan has a great way of putting philosophy and depth in some incredibly strange places. Fate Zero is amazingly good. Battles are freaking incredible and movie worthy. Show is exacting and well paced. AND it has some pretty interesting thematic content. The interactions of the heroes and the different philosophies they embody is quite interesting and thought provoking. Not sure I am going to enjoy all they end up doing with King Arthur as that is an important legend to me but it is certainly not as disgraceful as I had feared. And wow ... the Insect family and even the "good" and noble gem magic family .... I hate them both now after the middle of the first season. THAT was such a very well done scene...

Does Fate/Stay Night (which was the first I know and more closely related to the original game) keep up the same quality as Fate Zero - and is it legally streaming anywhere? Crunchyroll seems to only have the sequel series.

Thanks!
    There is no coincidence only inevitability

Re: Fate Zero - Fate stay night - boy these are way better than I thought...

I suppose I'll direct your attention here.

http://www.hulu.com/fatestay-night-u...ed-blade-works
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/fatestay-night

Comment

To be honest, the super grim-dark and gritty Zero is kind of the odd one out of the franchise, thanks in large part to the original novels having been written by none other than Gen Urobuchi. While 95% of the story itself comes straight from original series writer Kinoko Nasu, it definitely feels more like an Urobuchi work than the rest of Nasu's catalog. The rest of the Fate franchise is similar (at times), especially the other Ufotable-produced anime, but none are exactly the same because of this.

I assume you're specifically talking about the first Fate/Stay Night anime from '06 in your last paragraph? It's not exactly held in high regard by most fans, although I personally really liked it. However, Studio DEEN's animation work simply pales in comparison to the borderline movie quality of the Ufotable Fate productions. As the only existing adaptation of the Visual Novel's first route, I feel that FSN 06 works best as a first-exposure/introduction to the franchise to total newbies. It's also just much easier to go from DEEN to Ufotable animation, rather than the reverse.

It is streaming for free on Hulu and The Anime Network if you want to check it out anyways. It's not the most faithful adaptation of the source material and kind comes off as more of a run-of-the-mill fantasy/shonen anime, but what's most important to get out of it is the story, character introductions/reveals, and the world-building. The problem with the other Fate anime works is that they're adapted from sources that rely on a lot of info from that first route, which they assume the reader/viewer is already familiar with. The Zero novels (and by extension, the anime) re-establish some of this, while also flat-out stating other truths that were big mysteries in the original VN. If you still want to give FSN 06 a shot, go for it, I guess. Despite my fondness for it, I can't fault you if it doesn't catch your interest though, since you've already been exposed to the amazingness of Ufotable's Type-Moon adaptations.

The other Fate works from Ufotable are much more in-line with the Zero anime. While technically adapting the 2nd route of the VN, the currently-airing Unlimited Blade Works TV series has been tweaked a bit from the VN to make it feel more like a direct follow-up to Zero. Since you've already seen Zero, this is probably the ideal spot to continue from.

Lastly is the upcoming Heaven's Feel film(s?), which will adapt the third (and final) route from the VN. By far the darkest of the three, Zero arguably has the closest ties to this route as a number of concepts and quite a bit of info revealed in Zero (especially with regards to Sakura, the Matou family, and the mind screw finale) leans a lot on what was originally established/revealed in this final VN route.

~~~~~~

tl;dr

You should definitely check out the Unlimited Blade Works TV series and the upcoming Heaven's Feel movie is you liked Zero. The '06 anime is rather difficult to recommend as anything other than a first step into the franchise, as it's admittedly rather "meh" in comparison to everything else.

Ufotable's multi-part film series adaptation of Type-Moon's Kara no Kyoukai/Garden of Sinners is also worth your time if you want more dark, gritty Type-Moon. For better or worse it moves at an extremely slow, methodical pace, but the payoff if you can make it through to the end is tremendous.
      Last edited by doubleO7; 05-09-2015, 12:03 PM. Reason: A few tweaks for clarity and grammer

Comment

Ah thanks! Hmm thought the 06 (which yes was what I was referring to in the final paragraph sorry) show was only available if you paid for the anime channel. Will see if I can find it on hulu or there and watch the first two and see if it is interesting enough. To bad the animation is not as good because wow was it incredible. The grittiness well nice and not as bad as some of his other stuff but ... can do without some of it. Wow do I hate the bug family so so so so so so much. But then I hate the family that gave the daughter to them to ... sigh....AND after watching a few more I am not sure I even like King Author's holder. (and thank you Japan for not making King Author as terrible as I thought you were going to originally ... some other times you really did savage western historical figures).

Have not seen all of it yet but getting far enough along that can see the end is going to be .... different.

Where can I see garden of sinners? I do love dark and gritty usually and the animation in zero is incredible...
        Last edited by zaldar; 05-24-2015, 08:02 PM. Reason: add question about gardern of sinners

Comment

So started watching fate stay night from 06. Definitely a hit on the anime quality and it is really odd seeing the characters I knew as younger children now teenagers. The sad girl given to the insects and the crystal girl especially. Couple questions ... I hope they explain what happened to Gilgamesh because at the end of zero he was basically human it seemed ... but here he is archer again. How the red haired guy was able to summon queen Arthur was also odd...and um I don't remember lancer being this much of a *(&^. Where was it that they killed people who saw the fights ... that sounds very grim dark urbashi but I don't think that was in zero. Still digging it even if very different ... I really wish I could play the game now.

Oh and you were right about the mind screw (or *(&^) of an ending in zero oh wow ... THAT I should have seen coming I mean I've read the giver ... but nope. Done very well.

Comment

It's worth mentioning that most of the Fate Stay Night (06) cast is different from Fate Zero. The new Lancer looks similar to the old one, but he's a completely different guy. Gilgamesh shows up later on to tie up that plot thread, but Rin's new Archer servant is someone else. All the servants who were killed off in Fate Zero don't show up again in Fate Stay Night, basically.
            "This place is weird, but it sure isn't that weird."
            --
            My Nanami cel gallery (Last Updated: 05-20-11)
            Moderating: US BD/DVD, UK BD/DVD, Recommendations, Gaming Goodness

Comment

Wouldn't saber remember the last time though...remember the priest is evil and the grail is evil also???

Comment

I don't think Saber was convinced the Grail was evil since Kiritsugu never had time to explain and had to command her to destroy it right up to the end. And if she wasn't convinced the Grail was evil, she might've assumed the priest wasn't either - especially since the two didn't cross paths at the final showdown because she was busy dealing with other Servants.
                "This place is weird, but it sure isn't that weird."
                --
                My Nanami cel gallery (Last Updated: 05-20-11)
                Moderating: US BD/DVD, UK BD/DVD, Recommendations, Gaming Goodness

Comment

Hmm that makes sense. And she wouldn't tell about the old part especially if she figures out who her old master was in relation to her new one. It must have been incredible in watching the first without knowing who she was (dang it menu has no spoiler tag?) especially given Shiro's all encompassing I can't let a woman fight. Japan is so strange in that its media is so incredibly feminist sometimes when the culture is so very not. I mean I knew going in to the prequel her twist but it was still amazing to see how it played out. That is one thing I miss from that one actually there is no historical relation and talking about various historical perspectives between the servants it is more straight up shonen. Some of the best parts of the prequal had no fighting just philosophical discussion. Only on episode ten though so it may come.

Edit: wow Illyana is a little *(&^ now wow. I mean I love me some aggressive loli but wow ... and I think I may have figured out who archer is and boy THAT is an interesting plot twist. This should be fun to see how it goes.
                  Last edited by zaldar; 11-19-2015, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X