Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode 12

Do what you love.

Kumiko goes through quite a lot in this episode as she is practicing hard on a segment that is crucial to the song, but with a high degree of difficulty. She's one determined euph player seeing that she practiced through the heat, dizziness, a nosebleed, and lastly Taki telling her not to play it. But after seeing Kumiko's love for the euph that Taki gave her his blessing seeing that he did what he wanted and he wants Kumiko to do the same. Kumiko's love for the euph was tested here seeing that her big sister saw playing as pointless unless she's going to music school.

So with that , there's one more episode left and that's when they play at the competition. It just continues to amaze me how the euph player for the sounds is able to sound bad when the situation calls for it to happen.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

• Re: Episode 12

It's interesting how it feels like Kumiko and Reina are both fully in each others' shoes (relative to the beginning of the series) at this point. Reina gets to stepping out of her comfort zone and apologizing to Yuuko and Kaori for her "being smug", kind of reminding of those nervous moments early in the series where Kumiko was trying to go to talk to Reina. And now Kumiko really gets the frustration Reina had at the middle school concert of not being able to do better. Really speaks to how far both of them have come, and I think the connection they have forged has been an important part of it. Fantastic stuff.

Ah, speaking of fantastic, Natsuki in the background of that apology scene... Hah, I really think she is the best. Shame there is not more time for her to play with Yuuko as I'm liking those bits.
      Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 06-23-2015, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
        Do what you love.
        More like 'Why do you play your instrument? And why do you keep playing?'

Determination can get you a long way, but skill and experience means that determination is not everything. Kumiko has more each than many of the other members of the band, but even with all of that does not mean she can play all the parts. Of course, we might have figured this out if the sections in the bands had their members in respective chairs.

It might be a sign of development on Kumiko's part, but her reaction to essentially being told that she was not good enough by Taki-sensei still ends up feeling a bit melodramatic. Unlike Reina, whose similar reaction is understandable because music, and playing the trumpet, is her life, Kumiko's reaction felt a bit along the lines of the average teenager, who believes not getting what they want is the end of the world for them...Because they do not know any better. At least how she got to the point is understandable.

Reina has changed too, if more subtly. Her reaction to Kumiko's announcement that she, Kumiko, had just been alone with Taki-sensei, is classic.

Natsuki is still a troll, creatively screwing with Yuuko in this episode. She may be the most under-used secondary character in the show.

All in all, a better episode from the last one, with the conclusion left.

C.T.
        You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Originally posted by cxt217 View Post
          It might be a sign of development on Kumiko's part, but her reaction to essentially being told that she was not good enough by Taki-sensei still ends up feeling a bit melodramatic. Unlike Reina, whose similar reaction is understandable because music, and playing the trumpet, is her life, Kumiko's reaction felt a bit along the lines of the average teenager, who believes not getting what they want is the end of the world for them...Because they do not know any better.
          This is my one issue with the episode. I don't buy Kumiko's sudden "love" for the Euphonium. Your idea, that this is teenage moodiness, is about the best explanation that at least stays true to the logic of the character as we've seen her in this show. It was just a few episodes ago where we were being told that Kumiko tries to distance herself from others and things and stand apart. Now suddenly she's this super-intense Euphonium lover. Yes, I know that sudden swings like this do happen even in real life, but normally there's a lot more circumstances built around it.
          Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
          Scratchy for Tama is angry.
          Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
            This is my one issue with the episode. I don't buy Kumiko's sudden "love" for the Euphonium. Your idea, that this is teenage moodiness, is about the best explanation that at least stays true to the logic of the character as we've seen her in this show. It was just a few episodes ago where we were being told that Kumiko tries to distance herself from others and things and stand apart. Now suddenly she's this super-intense Euphonium lover. Yes, I know that sudden swings like this do happen even in real life, but normally there's a lot more circumstances built around it.
            There's a psychological phenomena where when someone puts extreme effort into a neutral or disregarded activity, after a certain point they develop a strong emotional attachment, love or obsession with that activity. It's a way the mind tricks itself into justifying the effort poured into that activity, retroactively determining that because so much has been expended in its pursuit, that object or goal must be loved in proportion. You could call this a form of Stockholm Syndrome, or simply "fake it until you make it", but either way, it is a real effect. You see it all the time on political campaigns, where staffers or volunteers who joined initially for careerist or principled intellectual reasons, go a little wild and emotional in the final punch-drunk days, often auto-suggesting themselves into delusions of victory on long-chance races that, if they were capable of objectivity, they'd have seen were not paying off.

Comment

• Episode 13 (Finale)

To the Nationals, and beyond!

The day has come for the band to aim for the top at the Kansai regionals and for that, the girls get all sorts of encouragement from the school. After careful preparation and getting in tune, it's on, and they play the required song and then their song of choice where Reina totally shines and the euph players give it their all. In the end, Kitauji is golden and they are moving onto the Nationals.

That was just beautiful, the music, the friendship, the determination, and those ponytails. That's a fitting way to end this show with the school having achieved their dreams to earn the gold, especially Kumiko after getting only dud's gold the last time around. It was quite a fun ride, and I hope that someday it continues with this band performing at the Nationals.

Overall, this show is a pretty fun ride as to be expected out of a show done by KyoAni. The animation is great, the characters are a fun bunch, and for a show about music it's top notch. Hats off to the orchestra that did the music for this show as they did a phenomenal job in making the music realistic, and especially doing an excellent job in sounding bad when the situation calls for it. But above all, the story is simply great as it does a great job in character development, both as individuals and as a band. That said, this show was not without its problems. The biggest problem is the pacing, and that's especially problematic at the beginning when the story was just too slow and that could have put an average viewer to sleep. The other major problem is that some characters come across as being annoying such as Yuko and Reina. In all, this show is just a lot of fun to watch and it puts together quite a nice story.

MAL Rating: ********--
              Last edited by Buckeye; 06-30-2015, 12:30 PM.
              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

• Re: Episode 13 (Finale)

"Love through harassment" indeed.

First off, anyone who says that Natsuki is not the best secondary character in the show is obviously not paying attention to the series. She is that good, going from lazy, to dedicated, to troll, to senpai, and back, without a pause in between. She is the dark horse of the cast.

I was expecting the other 'as predictable as gravity' ending for the series, but it was very nice to see the dedication, hard work, and skill work out in the end. All three, and luck, plays a part in such endeavors, and it good to see that the series does not try to pull a dodge somewhere. And it needs to be mentioned, the reaction of Haruka to having made it to the competition is striking indeed.

Episode 13 is a very good episode in itself, concentrating on the main plot, and kept clean of the superfluous tangents (For the most part.). What is left is Sound! Euphonium at its' best, along with a performance worthy of the series.

The unfortunate thing about the series was that it had too much superfluous tangents taking up time in the episodes. That affected, and was affected by, the questionable pacing that also haunted much of the series. Some of the story itself felt like a waste of time too, and as Buckeye has noted, some of the characters came across as annoying (A description that is probably mild in describing Taki-sensei.). Given how packed the series was into 13 episodes, those flaws would leave a viewer to wonder how much better the series could be.

In the end, Sound! Euphonium is a very satisfying and entertaining series, and definitely one of the better ones of the season. Like the music, which was well-done and sounded appropriate to the series, much of the story and characters felt true to the show. The series is not perfect, but the pieces fitted together and worked. I am definitely picking up the domestic release when it comes out.

And lest I forget - the cover of the opening as done by the concert band, as the end theme for Episode 13. A very appropriate send-off.

C.T.
                Last edited by cxt217; 06-30-2015, 01:54 PM.
                You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Kumiko is back in her ponytail. I've gotten to prefer how it's been most of the series, but this change works out well enough when we have a tender scene of Kumiko getting Reina to match. Also, back in their winter uniforms, apparently, but only the girls performing in the concert.

"Love through harassment": haha, that's how it is for Natsuki with Yuuko. Really, a lot of nice bits with her this episode. Reina and Kumiko affirm her coolness together, and I like her role listening together with Hazuki. She got to be a kind of leader to the girls who weren't participating in the concert but fully into encouraging their fellow band mates. It's a nice progression for her character from where she was originally.

Definitely has a bit of that nerve-wracking feeling again (like at the auditions) in the moments leading up to concert, and we get to see it reflected in a variety of characters in different ways. Not just leading up to concert, but also afterwards with the results too. Those expressions... really leaving us in suspense. But it appears they've made it. Nice to see their efforts have paid off. What comes with the nationals will have to be saved for a season two if there is one. We do have an extra episode left in the home video release, though, so wondering what they do with that.

Who was the girl who looked like Reina in the audience? Very intriguing...

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                    There are quite a few things we don't know about in regards to some other characters. I wonder if that woman is actually of any relation to Taki? He did give have a photo he seemed to cherish. It looks like a wedding ring on the woman in the photo. Perhaps he was once married and his wife passed away? Maybe that woman in the audience is his daughter? Although, I don't know how old Taki is...

Another mystery is Asuka. She looks so down in this final episode. She's acting like some character who'll be moving and transferring before Nationals...
                    @Asrialys | MyAnimeList | DVD/BD Collection (aka My Backlog...)

Comment

Originally posted by Asrialys View Post
                      Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                      There are quite a few things we don't know about in regards to some other characters. I wonder if that woman is actually of any relation to Taki? He did give have a photo he seemed to cherish. It looks like a wedding ring on the woman in the photo. Perhaps he was once married and his wife passed away? Maybe that woman in the audience is his daughter? Although, I don't know how old Taki is...

Another mystery is Asuka. She looks so down in this final episode. She's acting like some character who'll be moving and transferring before Nationals...
                      Yes. I wondering that too. At the end, it shows her looking down and looking depressed, but then she's elated the next time you see her a few seconds later.
                      Last edited by Library-chan; 06-30-2015, 04:39 PM.
                      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Originally posted by cxt217 View Post
                        In the end, Sound! Euphonium is a very satisfying and entertaining series, and definitely one of the better ones of the season. Like the music, which was well-done and sounded appropriate to the series, much of the story and characters felt true to the show. The series is not perfect, but the pieces fitted together and worked. I am definitely picking up the domestic release when it comes out.
                        Agreed on all counts. I must admit that I was a bit nervous myself along with the band members as they waited for the results & it was gratifying to see their efforts pay off in an excellent performance with a score to match it. For once I have no criticisms of Taki-sensei-That counts for something, right? Anyhow, I really enjoyed this show & it will definitely be a day-one purchase when it's released.

My initial score was 7/10 after the first two episodes but it has inched up to 8/10 here at the finale. Well done!

And lest I forget - the cover of the opening as done by the concert band, as the end theme for Episode 13. A very appropriate send-off.

C.T.
                        A very nice touch indeed.
                        Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Natsumi Tsujimoto & Miyuki Kobayakawa (You're Under Arrest!)
                        FilmAF / MAL /Games / Figures
                        Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

• Episode 14

Out, but not down.

The ten who were cut in the auditions form a group called Monaka, and they are determined to improve themselves. In the meantime, they have an important role of supporting their bandmates by setting up the stage and getting the equipment ready. On the day of the performance, a pair of bass drum mallets get left behind, and Hazuki runs back to get them, and then get to the stage in time before the award-winning performance.

That was a nice way to do an OVA, to focus the story of those who aren't part of the band and to tell things from Hazuki's perspective. While she has a lot to learn about playing the tuba, her expanded lung capacity that she developed saved the day there. Seeing that an OVA is generally a side story that this is a great way to tell one in a show such as this. This episode just appeared out of nowhere on CR, but it's great to see that they were able to get this OVA in preparation for the second season that's coming this fall.

Comment

• Re: Episode 14

I like that with the focus on "Team Monaka" we get a bit more of some of the minor members of the brass band than usual. Kabe Tomoe in particular is awesome in how she takes charge of this group. Hah, and as far as the name goes, I like how Asuka was trying to get some deep meaning out of it.

Hazuki's cuteness is so off the charts this episode. Loved her trading funny expressions with her friends during the somewhat-awkward introduction of the team. And the run-in with Shuuichi was adorably sweet. He really should recognize Hazuki's greatness. "Awesome" "Super cute" "Endearing" Midori and Natsuki are so on the mark about Hazuki (the awesome part proven further by her epic run at the end). Natsuki's way of supporting Hazuki reminds me of that great moment of her with Kumiko after losing the audition, which I really love.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...
                            X