X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2015] Sound! Euphonium Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    響け! ユーフォニアム

A show about a high school symphonic band that yearns to compete in national tournaments.

Airs: Tuesday, April 7

Studio: Kyoto Animation

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The Kitauji high school concert band club had at one time participated in national tournaments and was a champion school, but after the club's adviser changed, they have not been able to even participate in the qualifying tournament. However, thanks to the newly appointed adviser's strict instruction, the students are steadily improving and build up their strength. As they fight over who plays solos, some students give priority to studying and quit club activities. Finally, the long wished-for day of the contest arrives.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

It's dud gold, but it's still gold.

Kumiko, Hazuki, and Sapphire quickly form a friendship, Reina is a scary person, and Asuka is quite the oddball there playing a trick on Kumiko as a greeting. Kumiko is great at the euphonium (which is mistaken for a UFO), but wasn't sure about joining the concert band seeing that her junior high band only earned dud gold, but after some reflection she does.

That's KyoAni goodness there, and certainly the characters have some personality there, especially Sapphire. This show certainly brings me back to my grade school days when I was in my school's symphonic band playing sax and percussion as it got me to remember what a typical day in band class was like (most notably, the use of portable tuners). So far, it's off to a solid start and I'll see how things proceed, but KyoAni certainly put a lot of effort into this show and I'm liking it.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 04-07-2015, 12:50 PM.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Ah, nice, I think I was happier with this one than I expected (KyoAni usually at least tends to be fairly good, but it's been more hit or miss whether their works are truly memorable lately), at least so far.

I'm pleased to see Kurosawa Tomoyo is getting to show some more of her range here. She's usually cast as ultra-genki girls, so I was kind of expecting Kumiko would end up being the same (not to mention KyoAni and music will bring K-ON! to mind and I know how the lead in that is), but no... She is a lot more subdued personality than that, but in a way that is rather pleasant and interesting so far.

Feels like Hazuki has a lot of genuine enthusiasm coming across something new that really excites her here, and in making nice new friends just as she starts high school. Really loved how that got through to Kumiko at the end, when she remembered back to the sweet moment where she was being taught how to begin. Ah, and Sapphire being embarassed over her name was so very adorable. Is she going to be called "Midori" like she wants, or will "Sapphire" continue to stick?

Funniest part of the episode was Asuka being a hilarious prankster. Not just once, but twice! Haha. And she has some Hayami Saori-voiced companion trying to keep her in check... I wonder what kind of drama is ahead with Reina, both in her reaction to the band's skills and Kumiko bravely trying to approach her now (after it feeling so awkward to her, that she went out of her way to try and avoid her). Seems like Kumiko feels a bit of regret how she responded to her, though we don't see Reina being particularly nasty so far (just rather let down). Curious about them.

Comment

That wasn't bad at all. Interesting, though, how the quieter moments play very differently from everything else, very soft and gentle. A big contrast to the humor, speaking of which:

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
        Funniest part of the episode was Asuka being a hilarious prankster. Not just once, but twice! Haha.
        Asuka is off her rocker. I love her.
        Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

I've been looking forward to Ishihara directing another new series, and hoping for something better than Chunibyo, especially its second season. From the first episode I'm not sure this is what I was hoping for, but there's always the chance for great improvement, and I don't he could make a bad show. Even in the best hands it's ultimately all about the source material, and since this doesn't seem like it was much of a known quantity before news of its adaptation, I have no idea what to expect based on that.

Obviously it's gorgeous and the direction adds so much to that, and with Hanada and Yamada rounding out the main staff I know this is a great team, but I don't see much else to care about yet. The setting and characters are enjoyable but familiar and not especially interesting, so I'm looking forward to seeing them developed into more nuanced specimens. Big performances scenes with lots of buildup are almost guaranteed to be appropriately spectacular.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

The best part is definitely Asuka. The animation is really wonderful, almost Hyouka quality.
            Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Well, if I needed a series that reminded me of the days of playing the trumpet and baritone horn in band, this is it. A pretty good opening so far, with Hazuki definitely bringing some high energy humor to even the quiet and contemplative moments. But going out to buy a mouthpiece before deciding what brass instrument - or even what instrument - to play? I think it might be the first of classic 'Hazuki moments.' And yet, it was Hazuki's and Sapphire/Midori's energy and eagerness that gets Kumiko to make her decision.

Still, a high school band that is willing to accept anyone, regardless of experience levels, probably has a ways to go before heading to competition. This is might be a very interesting rollercoaster ride coming up.

C.T.
              You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Nice start so far; reminds me of Sora no Woto with the brass instruments. I'll likely follow this in its entirety, especially when there's Asuka to make for some fun moments. :D

Comment

I must give props to the sound team for this show: they managed to make the band sound bad in the way amateur middle/high school bands sound bad: not with any sort of comical obvious badness, but in a way that just doesn’t sound “right”. As someone who’s played in bands from middle school to college (and has listened to old recordings of our concerts), I know that sound all too well.

Everything else about this show is fantastic, too. Kumiko is a great protagonist, not falling into any obvious stereotypes but having a very realistic personality, being somewhat cynical about things and not afraid to speak her mind, but also quickly changing her mind about things and worried about how to deal with running into Kousaka again. The rest of the cast is fun, too. All this, combined with all the nostalgia this show gives me for my band days, means this show could very well become one of my favorite shows of all time.
                  Still alive and lurking.

Avatar: Arisu from The IDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls, representing my state after each workday.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                    I'm pleased to see Kurosawa Tomoyo is getting to show some more of her range here. She's usually cast as ultra-genki girls, so I was kind of expecting Kumiko would end up being the same (not to mention KyoAni and music will bring K-ON! to mind and I know how the lead in that is), but no... She is a lot more subdued personality than that, but in a way that is rather pleasant and interesting so far.
                    The range she's using here is almost discombobulating, sweet and high with her friends (perfect squeak when Reina came in the band room), and very, very low and somber when she's by herself. If they want to demonstrate indecisiveness in her, I guess that's one way to do it. Interesting, yes.

Originally posted by stardf29 View Post
                    I must give props to the sound team for this show: they managed to make the band sound bad in the way amateur middle/high school bands sound bad: not with any sort of comical obvious badness, but in a way that just doesn’t sound “right”. As someone who’s played in bands from middle school to college (and has listened to old recordings of our concerts), I know that sound all too well.
                    Oh, yes. (Coming as a musician from 4th through high school.) That is a criticism I've leveled at shows about music in the past, that they don't do a convincing job of showing either "bad" or amateur playing, or the progression of quality. Emotionally, it's as important as the voice acting: if the music, to the common ear, is perfect from the beginning, and they only tell us it "sucks" (to borrow from Kumiko), that's as bland and boring an emotional effect in the end as unconvincing crying. Likewise, you can't have characters go down that path of gaining confidence and getting better, as allegory for character growth, if they sound professional from the start, and you only add some mood lighting in the final performance to convince us it's somehow different. (Not that it always does a good job with reality, either, but some creators should take notes from sports anime. )

Really, I've been looking for something to match what Nodame Cantabile did with its music theme--despite also being a strong romantic comedy--for years, and have yet to be satisfied. It's an unfair standard (Nodame was more effective focusing on music college students already at a high level), but I like a show that pushes music as such an important theme to actually be about the music at least as much as it's about anything else. That this isn't my current nemesis, shounen romance, which seems to have laid strongest claim to the "music" theme lately (Kids on the Slope, Your Lie in April) without actually being about it, may help. Yeah, this is also going to be about cute and eccentric KyoAni girls doing cute and eccentric KyoAni things, but, so far, it also seems to be surprisingly sincere about its music. So, some tentative kudos.
                    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                    Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                    Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

This is pretty much the type of series KyoAni does best so it's no surprise that this episode had a lot going for it. The characters are all readily appealing and KyoAni continues to put a lot of personality into the characters' animation. Kumiko in particular stands out as she comes across as a more realistic teenager than say the more idealized girls from K-On. Interesting too that many of the characters seem to be into more obscure instruments.

It's true that it has been a few years since KyoAni has put out a true classic and this series seems to be very much in their comfort zone, but they do consistently good work so this will likely be enjoyable enough to follow.
                      Avatar: Pariya from Otoyomegatari.

Comment

Originally posted by cxt217 View Post
                        Well, if I needed a series that reminded me of the days of playing the trumpet and baritone horn in band, this is it. A pretty good opening so far, with Hazuki definitely bringing some high energy humor to even the quiet and contemplative moments. But going out to buy a mouthpiece before deciding what brass instrument - or even what instrument - to play? I think it might be the first of classic 'Hazuki moments.'
                        Plus she got the "buzz" on her first try before Kumiko could show her how to do it so she gets brownie points on that alone. My brass instrument was Horn in F (Or French Horn if you prefer) from beginner in 5th grade through graduate school (And for several years beyond college playing in community bands in south Florida, South Carolina & here in Savannah, GA) along with teaching middle school band for a couple of years so I remember all too well what a band on that level sounds like & this band sounds just like a band at that level should sound. I liked this first episode & I'm definitely in for the ride.

And yes, Asuka's definitely worth the price of admission.

Still, a high school band that is willing to accept anyone, regardless of experience levels, probably has a ways to go before heading to competition. This is might be a very interesting rollercoaster ride coming up.

C.T.
                        Oh, they definitely have a ways to go before they're ready for competition. I'm looking forward to seeing how they progress.
                        Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Miyuki Kobayakawa & Natsumi Tsujimoto (You're Under Arrest!)
                        FilmAF / MAL /Games / Figures
                        Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie M View Post
                          Well, if I needed a series that reminded me of the days of playing the trumpet and baritone horn in band, this is it. A pretty good opening so far, with Hazuki definitely bringing some high energy humor to even the quiet and contemplative moments. But going out to buy a mouthpiece before deciding what brass instrument - or even what instrument - to play? I think it might be the first of classic 'Hazuki moments.'
                          Plus she got the "buzz" on her first try before Kumiko could show her how to do it so she gets brownie points on that alone. My brass instrument was Horn in F (Or French Horn if you prefer) from beginner in 5th grade through graduate school (And for several years beyond college playing in community bands in south Florida, South Carolina & here in Savannah, GA) along with teaching middle school band for a couple of years so I remember all too well what a band on that level sounds like & this band sounds just like a band at that level should sound. I liked this first episode & I'm definitely in for the ride.
                          Hey, neat. I played French Horn in 4th grade. Or tried to play; didn't practice over the Summer, and switched to string bass (or double bass; or "contrabass" as Sapphire calls it, using the broadest term). So I guess I should root for Sapphire?
                          Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                          Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                          Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie M View Post
                            I'm totally curious as to how the music was done in this show. It does a great job sounding the way a high school band is supposed to perform as opposed to a professional concert band. Of course, it would be easier to play down to that level if the sheet music they were given is toned down to the high school level, but the real challenge is to sound bad when the situation calls for it.

Anyway, this show reminds me of my days in the band as well during grade school. I played the saxophone in junior high and ended up being a percussionist in high school since my high school band had way too many sax players. I also took a shot at playing the French horn, but brass instruments were just too tough for me, especially since I was wearing braces at that time. And then there is that portable tuner that I would use to get my instrument to sound right prior to rehearsal.

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                              Hey, neat. I played French Horn in 4th grade. Or tried to play; didn't practice over the Summer, and switched to string bass (or double bass; or "contrabass" as Sapphire calls it, using the broadest term). So I guess I should root for Sapphire?
                              Why not? I kinda hope we get to see her play the double bass myself.

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                              I'm totally curious as to how the music was done in this show. It does a great job sounding the way a high school band is supposed to perform as opposed to a professional concert band. Of course, it would be easier to play down to that level if the sheet music they were given is toned down to the high school level, but the real challenge is to sound bad when the situation calls for it.
                              There's a couple of ways that this could have been done (This is conjecture on my part so please bear with me):
                              1. The studio musicians were playing actual middle school arrangements with some of the musicians playing slightly out of tune to give it that "Middle school sound"
                              -or-
                              2. The producers used an actual middle school band to perform the band music whenever it was called for.

Anyway, this show reminds me of my days in the band as well during grade school. I played the saxophone in junior high and ended up being a percussionist in high school since my high school band had way too many sax players. I also took a shot at playing the French horn, but brass instruments were just too tough for me, especially since I was wearing braces at that time.
                              IIRC most kids that wore braces usually ended up playing either woodwinds, strings or percussion because of the lip pressure needed for playing brass. Some did play brass instruments when I was in high school band but it wasn't common though & I don't remember seeing anyone with braces playing brass in college. We haven't seen any of the band members wearing braces yet but if we do it's an even bet that they're playing something other than brass instruments.
                              Last edited by Jimmie M; 04-13-2015, 01:59 AM.
                              Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Miyuki Kobayakawa & Natsumi Tsujimoto (You're Under Arrest!)
                              FilmAF / MAL /Games / Figures
                              Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X