X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2015] Re-Kan Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    レーカン!

A supernatural comedy about a girl who can speak with otherworldly beings.

Airs: Friday, April 3

Studio: Pierrot

ANN Entry

My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Amami Hibiki is a girl who can see ghosts and other supernatural phenomena in her surroundings. The stories follow her daily life with both her friends and the otherworldly.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Main, Ascendance of a Bookworm
    Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Are you there?

Hibiki can see and interact with spirits from another world, and that leads to some pretty awkward situations there. And then there's that perverted and masochistic cat that's stirring up a riot there. It has its moments, but the novelty faded pretty fast. I'll give it another episode, but it doesn't look like I'll be sticking with it.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I enjoyed this well enough. It was cute enough, it was funny enough, and when it wanted to be more sentimental about the connections Amami has with the spirit world and her classmates, it worked fine. Not quite a high-tier show of its sort, but I'll be keeping with it.

Also glad to see Riho Iida in only her second anime role ever after Rin of Love Live!. Kana is quite different voice-wise from Rin, too, so she definitely has a good range.
      Still alive and lurking.

Avatar: Arisu from The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls, representing my state after each workday.

Comment

Definitely really cute show. Amami has some work to do if she wants to befriend Inoue, that's for sure. At least the cat knows what's going on.
        Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Re: Re-Kan Discussion Thread

Much better than I expected after reading the comments. Very cute, sweet and funny. Hanako? She's a classic Japanese urban ghost legend, famous for haunting toilets. A definite keeper.

I loved it when she's talking to the ghost of a murder victim, who can't leave the area of his death, who all of a sudden asks how she's adapting to her new school.

And then, of course, there's the cat. All the girls are heating cute meows, while Amami is hearing perverted comments from the cat. Or how every door is automatic for her...but will slam on the boy who's crushing on her. LOL!

In a season with some gorgeous animation, this show is spectacular! So, yeah, I'm watching this one.
          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
          3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

They've got the creepiness part down. It looks creepy where it's supposed to. That's good. It felt a bit rushed though. They should've shown Amami acting all weird on her first day and the three girls get used to her. Inoue's reactions were poorly done. They didn't feel right. Poor voice acting I think. The comedy was good at times. Overall a mediocre display. I'll give it a few more episodes. Not an instant drop.
            My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Same joke over and over in repetitive short bursts. Very 4-koma without doing anything to work in a full-length episode format and general mediocrity in adaptive quality.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

That was... poorly animated. It's a shame, since the character designs from the promo artwork looked really cute. The execution is pretty bad, though. The characters don't look like they belong with those backgrounds in the street scenes. It's like they're sliding across some weird nightmarescape.

I guess I need to think of it like an awful-looking short that's 24 minutes long. Because it got REALLY funny at times. I cracked up in home ec. I love how Hibiki says creepy things so innocently and Narumi being tsundere about supernatural belief is hilarious. It got kind of sweet by the end, too.

And the cat was really something else.

Comment

Originally posted by _PS_ View Post
                  That was... poorly animated. It's a shame, since the character designs from the promo artwork looked really cute. The execution is pretty bad, though. The characters don't look like they belong with those backgrounds in the street scenes. It's like they're sliding across some weird nightmarescape.
                  I also noticed the minor disconnect with the character animation (not necessarily the design) and the background. Thought for a bit that I was watching a SHAFT show. But I didn't think that it was overall that bad, really. Being generous, in a way it feeds to the theme of the show, of people being between the real and spirit world.

It is overall charming, but, until the extended playground scene at the end, I agree that it did show its seams a little too much as a 4-koma manga. The transitions were a little rough. But in short bouts, yeah, it was amusing.

Not the surest start, but effective enough. Takashi Aoshima on the overall composition, no stranger to creating wonderful and tight adaptations of 4-koma work, is a strong enough name on the credits to keep me going for a few more.
                  Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                  TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Episode 2

Hooray for panties!

While Amami is the only one who can see ghosts, her friends know that they do exist as they can be captured on camera. And then Amami goes making that inverted teru teru bozu designed to bring rain so that the faceless umbrella holder would come. That was an alright episode, but there were parts of this episode that were just slow and that led to stuff that should be really funny fall flat. I'll give it one more episode, but it's on the outside looking in seeing that I have too many high school comedies already and this one doesn't really stand out.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

On the bright side, I suppose it's not quite repeating the same joke over and over. It's just finding new jokes that weren't funny to repeat to the point of being less funny. Some sweet moments, but nothing that amounts to much.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

After a week of (often genius) crazy shows, this only slightly wacky show was actually quite nice to return to, with its lower-key episodic, scene by scene, "next day" by "next day" nature. As I expected from Aoshima it managed within that structure to build up the core characters and their relationships almost while you weren't looking. It's sweet. Inoue (ah, fun: Miku Ito--Nanako from Locodol) continues to be the comic relief, but combined with now Esumi and Uehara's bemused reactions, it's still pretty funny. (I also like mean-girl types who are actually friendly to the heroine. They make good sidekicks.) And now you have the token boy to spark topics, and play the boke for it.

The perverted cat was turned down a bit, at the same time the show avoided another extended heart-tugging sequence, letting the shorter humor scenes carry more. Introducing additional possibly regular ghosts, like the samurai and faceless girl, also helps. More cast members the better in something gag-based like this.
                        Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                        TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                          After a week of (often genius) crazy shows, this only slightly wacky show was actually quite nice to return to, with its lower-key episodic, scene by scene, "next day" by "next day" nature. As I expected from Aoshima it managed within that structure to build up the core characters and their relationships almost while you weren't looking. It's sweet. Inoue (ah, fun: Miku Ito--Nanako from Locodol) continues to be the comic relief, but combined with now Esumi and Uehara's bemused reactions, it's still pretty funny. (I also like mean-girl types who are actually friendly to the heroine. They make good sidekicks.) And now you have the token boy to spark topics, and play the boke for it.

The perverted cat was turned down a bit, at the same time the show avoided another extended heart-tugging sequence, letting the shorter humor scenes carry more. Introducing additional possibly regular ghosts, like the samurai and faceless girl, also helps. More cast members the better in something gag-based like this.
                          Yeah, I'm totally enjoying this slice of life show, which puts a sweet twist on what seems to be about every traditional Japanese ghost story out there. It does work as a nice change of pace show, and as a light comedy show.
                          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                          3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

I'm liking it so far. It reminds me a little of Fruits Basket with Amami being an innocent who sees the good in everyone including "monsters." The scene had me smiling when we found out she wasn't scared of the faceless umbrella girl, instead she was afraid she'd been mean to her with a careless remark

Comment

Episode 3

Grandmother's secret recipe is passed down.

This episode focuses on Inoue as her brother Yuuki has been in such a bad mood ever since their father died, and things boil over when it comes to the way Inoue cooks eggs seeing that Yuuki misses the way grandmother cooks them. Amami's spirit communication abilities come to great use here as she got the recipe straight from her, and that did the trick to get Yuuki to act like a big brother again.

That was a good episode there, certainly better than the first two that was just failing to get my attention. But seeing that I have way too many shows to watch already and this one was low on my interest list it was on the outside looking in. With the next episode being a beach episode that I think I had enough of this.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X