X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2015] Isuca Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    イスカ

A comedy about a guy taking a job and it happens to be as a housekeeper for a family of exorcist.

Airs: Friday, January 23

Studio: Arms

ANN Entry

My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Shinichirou decides to look for a job in order to pay his rent, and his teacher suggests that he work for someone at their house doing housekeeping; however, the person who hired him was Sakuya, a girl who is the 37th head of the Shimazu family, and her job is to exorcise and eliminate unwanted creatures. Shinichirou accidentally releases one of the creatures that Sakuya captures and they cooperate to catch it. A story of comedic creature hunting begins!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Galaxy Angel, Rayearth, Arte, City Hunter
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Curiosity hasn't killed this cat.

Shinichirou needs a job and ends up caught in Sakuya's line of work, and now the two end up with each other after he proved to be more than he looks. That show got right into the thick of things without really explaining anything, and that's a big problem further exacerbated by the fanservice and the need to censor it. Of course, with only 10 episodes to work with that that something has to give. Anyway, this is something I have seen time and again here with a desperate guy ending up bumping into a lovely girl by accident, and all of the sudden he is together for the long haul.

I guess I will give it another episode as I didn't exactly get a good read on what this series is about through this episode, but at the moment the prospects aren't looking too good, especially with the need for all that censorship.
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

More stupid ecchi crap with tons of censorship, a generic plot, and low production values. The "animation" of the whatever beast thing getting bigger was actually pretty comical. Some decent moments and it's far from the worst this season has to offer, but it's certainly not one of the few quality shows.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

You know an anime is done for when you have a naked woman half a minute into the episode. The censorship only makes things worse. Such animes aren't meant to be watched during airing.

So there is a lot of things going wrong here. Mainly the fanfare is overshadowing basically everything here. The spirits suck, what, life something? From the person's body? From their crotch/groin region? Okay. It would've been fun if there wasn't any censoring done. Oh well, drop drop drop.
        My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

I think the main problem is the way they paced this episode. I mean put aside the censorship & fanservice issues, the pacing is kind off. Some of the stuff in this episode should have been saved for an episode 2. Granted that would also move everything back one episode. So it's a trade off. Maybe it will get better after the introductory episode.

In any case, I do like the idea of an archer as a female lead & I am interested in some of the other characters. So hopefully they won't take too long to get introduced. Also hopefully the 2nd episode will be much better. There are aspects I like about the episode, but there are definite problems with this that require caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Momoka Kibi View Post
            I think the main problem is the way they paced this episode. I mean put aside the censorship & fanservice issues, the pacing is kind off.
            There's a reason for that. I'm not going to spoil anything, but this episode has a lot of changes from the start of the manga. With only 10 episodes, (and an OVA planned for a release on 8/26/15), there's going to be a lot of compacting here. I think the result is a bit ragged on the introduction. We see a guy walking down the street, seemingly naked woman (with the black bars of censorship she could've been wearing a very modest bikini/shorts outfit) comes on to him, suddenly she's demon about to kill him, then he gets saved by a girl archer. When we first saw him, you can't tell if he's the protagonist, or just a random victim. 10 episodes is diffuclt for a ecchi screwball comedy to have enough time to tell the tale, it's harder for an action comedy ecchi romance show to do so in that time. Although there are a number of changes, I think the most noticeable change (without spoiling any content) is the mood, which is darker than the start of the manga, getting more serious about the threat of the youma much earlier than in the manga.

This is a good story, with, alas, a load of censorship, with some interesting concepts. Whether it can be successfully adapted in only 10 episodes remains a legitimate question.
            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Originally posted by General Hentai View Post
              This is a good story, with, alas, a load of censorship, with some interesting concepts. Whether it can be successfully adapted in only 10 episodes remains a legitimate question.
              I think the main thing it's going to successfully do at this rate is be telling us to just read the manga instead. Which I checked out some of the manga & that just made the way the anime handled things more depressing. Also, 10 episodes? I should have known that would be the case. That just makes it even more depressing. A series like this could have been helped by 1st being 2 cour & second "improving" things instead of making them "worse". So yeah between the changes of the manga you mentioned & the 10 episode thing, I'm even more worried about this. Never mind some of the content of the manga shows not everything can be blamed on the anime.

Comment

Episode 2

What's in a name?

Shinichirou manages to take control of Tama as he somehow knew her name, and it turns out that his kiss has a lot of power in it seeing that giving his life force to Tama normally does some bad things to the giver, but it didn't affect him. And so, the cat takes out the rats just like what they are supposed to do in the real world, and now Shinichirou is the housecleaner of Sakuya's home. At least I understand what's going on in this episode as it spent some time explaining stuff, but still all those cliches and other pieces of bad execution makes this show an easy drop, so that will be it.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Does this series seriously have a fetish for people getting turned on by being "eaten"? Also the censorship is making this hard to watch, but like with some past series if this were not censored it would be hard to watch for another reason. Just what the hell is this show even thinking?

Of course the MC is super special awesome because yay. Meanwhile our female lead has to be a horrible person & kind of pathetic. At least other leads try a bit more.

Well Tama is a fun a character, but she's not worth suffering through the rest of the show. I can get the qualities she has in much better shows even if spread across several characters.

Speaking of Tama, how does Tamako even hide a true name? I mean someone could call her Tama for short.....

In any case, this series is officially dropped. Even I have my limits.

Comment

Well, I'll be trooping on, as they're only 8 episodes left. This is not being all it can be. For one thing, despite the compacting going on, we're 20% completed, several important story points have not yet been hit. Yes, I read the manga to the extent I could, and I enjoyed it. We had at the tail end of this episode the introduction of another major character, and the basics of this story have been barely scratched. Which is problematic for such a short series. I'd have to say this is the weakest of this season's harem shows. I'm watching this because it still has fun moments, and I'm hoping for more to come. But I'm also looking at it from an analytic point of view to see how it adapts from the manga. For example, the manga offers a very good explanation of why our abrasive tsundere heroine is abrasive making her a more sympathetic character. I'm curious to see if that gets cut, or if it is introduced too late in the season. Plus there's another major plot point that I'm surprised hasn't been introduced yet.

But I have the feeling its not going to live up to its potential due to needing at least 2-3 more episodes or even a 2nd cour.
                    My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                    1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                    2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Originally posted by Momoka Kibi View Post
                      Speaking of Tama, how does Tamako even hide a true name? I mean someone could call her Tama for short.....
                      He could choose a different kanji for "Tamako" but I'm not sure that would matter. Plus, no one would expect someone to be that lazy when it comes to choosing a cover name. I now wonder if Sakuya's true name is "Sakura," but I'm not interested enough to keep watching in order to find out.
                      My animé & figure collections
                      Hummingbird
                      || Tweeterings
                      XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Episode 3 brings in a new girl and rival, Suseri, who addresses Sakuya as "onee-san", although they are actually cousins. Suseri arrives to assist in a rescue (takes it over is more accurate). She's also the exact opposite of Sakuya in many ways: Busty and tall to Sakuya's flat-chestedness and relative short height. The main reason Suseri's arrived? She wants Shinichiro and his powers, and will do anything to get them. Such as bathing Shinichiro, and using her bust to soap him up. And then later telling him that if Shinichiro comes with/chooses her, she's willing to continue where they left off. However, we're not talking about a master seductress here: She's relatively emotionless throughout, just doing what she thinks needs doing without much feeling. She's also Sakuya's rival to be head of the Shimazu family. Combining naivity and politeness, ruthlessness and a lack of emotion. Suseri's a bit of a hard read at this point.

Some nice fan service and comedy in this episode, but the whole thing still feels a bit off. And it is. Without going into any spoilers, the anime continues to deviate from the manga in many ways. I remain puzzled at the changes, and I'm especially surprised that a major story element has yet to be introduced, which led to another major story element that has also not been introduced. Given that they're only 10 episodes, this delay is an enigma.
                        Last edited by General Hentai; 02-09-2015, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Without spoilers, does the manga offer any reasons why Our Hero would want to stay with Sakuya (who is not good company) instead of accepting the offer of better pay, better treatment, and sex? Is his cleaning fetish that strong?

So far it's a C show at best, but I'm weak against tall, affectionate, well-endowed redheads so I'll keep watching a little longer for Tama.

Comment

Originally posted by davesimmons View Post
                            Without spoilers, does the manga offer any reasons why Our Hero would want to stay with Sakuya (who is not good company) instead of accepting the offer of better pay, better treatment, and sex? Is his cleaning fetish that strong?

So far it's a C show at best, but I'm weak against tall, affectionate, well-endowed redheads so I'll keep watching a little longer for Tama.
                            The manga is still ongoing, so relations are still evolving. As to a reason as to why...I can't go into it except I know I'd be going with Suseri, heh. I'm weak against tall, affectionate, well-endowed busty brunettes...and blondes...and redheads. I can't go into the reasoning other than to say its related at least partially to story elements that I'm amazed haven't been introduced at this point.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

This was actually a better episode than I expected, having read Chris' review before seeing this episode. This wasn't a bad episode IMHO, being more positive than negative, but one thing is crystal clear at this point: Having only 10 episodes to play with has been severely detrimental to this property. They probably needed at least 13 to truly do it justice.

Anyhoo, The episode starts off with a murder of a security guard in a museum with lots of medieval Japanese weapons and objects. We then move to Sakuya practicing archery, and impressing Shinichiro, in her usual arrogant manner. Then its off to school where a new student arrives in a limo: Suseri, who has transferred in with her attendant Mari as students. One confrontation in Nadeshiko's office later, and Suseri admits that she's done so to pursue Shinichiro, but also because she doesn't think Sakuya is up to dealing with the situation: She believes that magical gates are being opened around the school, that they're deliberately being attacked. And Sakuya hasn't noticed this attack. Further, Mari confirms that the "gloom car" from last episode had a magic circle remnant on it, meaning it had been summoned by a Western mage. So, someone is targeting the Shimazu family, and when Suseri says that Sakuya shouldn't be surprised that people suspect Sakuya due to Western magic being involved, Sakuya slaps Suseri. Western magic and mages seems to be a touchy subject with Sakuya.

Later, Suseri sends out a recon team, ordering them not to tell Sakuya. The team gets wiped out, at which point Sakuya finally gets informed. It seems that there's an undead samurai, but appearances are deceiving, and they end up with Sakuya, Suseri, Shinichiro, Tamako and Mari beating a retreat, after Sakuya figures that their opponent is a golem, which as Suseri notes, is Western magic. They figure out how to defeat it, but there was one last trap, a cursed sword which posseses Sakuya who then tries to kill Shinichiro. Suseri is ready to kill Sakuya, as she knows that Sakuya couldn't live with herself if she killed Shinichiro, when Shinichiro wrestles with Sakuya and comes into contact with the sword, learning its true name, and commanding it to stop.

At this point, the Western mage makes an appearance, before leaving.

It is hard to believe at this point, but we're 40% through the season, and only now are we getting to one of the key plot points: How Shinichiro learns the true names of people, objects, and specters. But we're still not quite there yet, as the full implications have yet to be revealed. Which is absurd at this point. The fan service fun continues, censored of course. The pluses this episode are showing that Suseri is a smart cookie, but also that she's similar to her cousin in that they're both headstrong and over confident, biting off more than they can chew, and that, no matter their rivalry, Suseri does have concerns for Sakuya (even if her version of "helping" Sakuya is to kill her cousin).

This show was never going to be mistaken for one of Shakespeare's works, but the manga is better than this bungled adaptation indicates.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X