• [Winter 2015] Yatterman Night

Widgets Magazine
    A show about the exploits of a sympathetic Team Rocket-esque gang

ANN Entry
    Official Site
    Funimation

Airs: January 11

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to

For more guidelines please refer to this thread
    "All's the world has anger issues" - Alphanega

My Anime Planet List

Episode 1

Well that certainly wasn't anything like what I was expecting. I thought it'd be a bit more explosive so I wasn't really expecting this kind of origin story but it's a pretty good one. It's a pretty clever subversion in some aspects and I'm curious to see if the Yattermen actually turn out as evil as Leopard thinks they are. Also got a good chuckle out of the costumes. Definitely watching more of this one

My Anime Planet List

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I guess I probably would've gotten more out of that if I had any prior experience with Yatterman. Once they mentioned being descendents of these classic characters, I figured the mom would die shortly so that there would only be one member of each lineage. Still have roughly no idea what the whole story is as a result of not having seen any original Yatterman. No idea what to expect and not too into it yet, but I guess maybe it has a chance depending on where it goes from here?
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 2

That was...really depressing. Like watching a Team Rocket plan get played out seriously. Hopefully things get better for those three, and I'm wondering what the deal is with the Yattermen being robots

My Anime Planet List

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Man, this show is weird. Again, I'm totally out of my element, but I feel like the bizarre "good guys fulfilling villain roles" and "weird robots representing the original heroes" plots are relatively straightforward. It's too silly to take seriously most of the time, but then it shifts to attempts at pathos that I want to appreciate as sincere but just don't feel justified with how they emerge from the total opposite.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Without any familiarity with the franchise, I think this did a pretty good job acclimating someone like me into the setting and mood. It helps that it's a straightforward and familiar concept: the simple idea that the victor writes the history; the hero's legacy becoming corrupted with power, or built on a false foundation of continued repression of a minority or outsiders; the former enemy, now neutered and repressed, rising, Robin Hood-fashion, to set things right. That's as classic and time-honored a story as you can get, and it can be pretty fun when packaged in the kind of style this seems to be.

I like the main writer, Kazuyuki Fudeyasu, on this mostly original work for a past variety of pretty quirky material, which bodes well to me (even if some of that past work is hit or miss) for how the characterization in this will at least be handled. He re-teams here with director Tatsuya Yoshihara from Muromi-san--which, admittedly, I didn't get too into, but I can see the style.

Eri Kitamuri was liable to drive me nuts, however, if that younger voice for Leopard remained. Nothing like a parent's death to darken the mood (and the voice) a bit.
            Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
            TFP Forum Rules

Comment

The roles have reversed.

Many years ago, Yatterman was a hero while Leopard's descendants were thieves. Now, it's the other way around as Yatterman has become corrupted and instead of helping Leopard's mother they get shot down for getting near the gates. And thus, they become the next generation of Dorobow, this time playing the role of hero. That story was pretty remarkable seeing that now, Dorobow is the hero and Yatterman is the villain when in its previous incarnation the roles were reversed. Well, I was just planning to give this show a courtesy viewing seeing that I can't see myself getting into this show, so I'm not going to bother with this.
              MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
              Watching: Galaxy Angel, Rayearth, Arte, City Hunter
              Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I don't know what to think about this show, but I am enjoying it. The old-school cartoony bits, throwbacks to the time period of the original Yatterman (haven't seen any of the "remake" material, from 2008 on, to know what that does), blended with gestures to contemporary action-drama material more present in the second half of this episode, doesn't feel off or surreal. But it is odd. It feels, from a first impression, weirdly European. Like the bleak futurism of Truffaut's bleak and stark Fahrenheit 451, actually, as the trio escapes into a countryside marked by human decline and natural revival--all the animation-saving shots of insects and animals. Bizarre reference, I know, but that's how it felt. It's an interesting turn, though, Dorobow actually getting in, so soon, to Yatterman territory, and finding it not any different than where they came from. So a corrupted tradition it is, with Yatterman's legacy.

Takes things quickly away from a "Yatterman attack of the week" format, at least; a given with the 12-episode run. This is fun. Weird, sort of. But fun.
                Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X