X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2015] Maria the Virgin Witch (Junketsu no Maria) Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    純潔のマリア

A show set in France about a witch who must stay a virgin if she wants to use her powers to put an end to the war. Not only that, but she needs to keep quiet to the public about her powers.

Airs: Sunday, January 11

Studio: Production IG

ANN Entry

My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

Set in France during the Hundred Years' War, it follows Maria, who is one of the most powerful witches of her era. She intervenes against the warring nations by using her succubus and incubus familiars to manipulate the opposing factions, as well as large-scale illusions, all for the sake of helping the people and maintaining peace. As a result, she has gained the appreciation of several villagers and the hostility of the Church, which considers her a heretic. Yet Maria is still a virgin and her own familiars tease her about it. As news of her actions spreads, Archangel Michael focuses on Maria and rejects her interference in human affairs. After a direct confrontation, Michael ultimately decides that Maria will lose her magical powers if she loses her virginity and also forbids her from publicly using magic, sending an angel called Ezekiel to oversee this decree.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Galaxy Angel, Rayearth, Arte, City Hunter
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

War. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.

The Church says that witches are the root of all evil, but Maria is anything but that seeing how she used her dragon to put a stop to that battle. She is well-respected among the villagers, but she's wanted by the Church, and that sets the stage for something big to go down. That's a pretty solid start here with some nice humor in a setting that otherwise discourages it, while the artwork is great as typical of IG. I'll watch a little more of this to see if I'll watch this through to the end or not.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Galaxy Angel, Rayearth, Arte, City Hunter
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This was pretty boring to be honest. It wasn't terrible, but wasn't good enough to keep me interested. It has potential so it might pick up later on.

The comedy wasn't up to the mark overall. There were a couple of scenes with something funny, but the rest wasn't good.

It can get better if they focus more on the role of the church and the king. They should focus more on who is right, Maria or the church/king.

Nothing worth mentioning happened here. Maria pulling a dragon out of her cauldron was kinda nice. They should add more such stupid scenes to make things amusing in an absurd way.

I'll continue watching with hopes that it picks up real soon.
      My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post

The Church says that witches are the root of all evil, but Maria is anything but that seeing how she used her dragon to put a stop to that battle. She is well-respected among the villagers, but she's wanted by the Church, and that sets the stage for something big to go down. That's a pretty solid start here with some nice humor in a setting that otherwise discourages it, while the artwork is great as typical of IG. I'll watch a little more of this to see if I'll watch this through to the end or not.
        The problem with shows like this is they don't take the next step. Okay, we have witches in the world, but the medieval world is largely portrayed the same way. With these events taking place during the 100 Years War, calling the other side heretics really wouldn't be happening, as the 100 Years War ended in 1453, and the Protestant Reformation wouldn't start until the 1520s, with England leaving the Church in the 1530s. So a series which shows real witches and heavenly intervention makes me wonder if it will stop to think how the other side would be affected as well.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Nice animation as expected from I.G, but the rest of it isn't doing much for me. Just seems not to know how to treat its subject matter. Better than plenty this season, though.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Originally posted by General Hentai View Post
            The problem with shows like this is they don't take the next step. Okay, we have witches in the world, but the medieval world is largely portrayed the same way. With these events taking place during the 100 Years War, calling the other side heretics really wouldn't be happening, as the 100 Years War ended in 1453, and the Protestant Reformation wouldn't start until the 1520s, with England leaving the Church in the 1530s. So a series which shows real witches and heavenly intervention makes me wonder if it will stop to think how the other side would be affected as well.
            The episode has already established that witches are generally considered heretics and I believe that's fair enough. Concerning the Hundred Years War, France and England simply saw each other with mutual hatred and thought God's favor was exclusive to their own side. It doesn't have anything to do with the Protestant Reformation, of course, since even wars between Christians who formally shared the same faith resulted in a lot of religious name-calling, particularly in an era where the concept of holy war had long since been revived by the Crusades, including the ones that weren't directed against Muslims nor to recover the Holy Land. It's quite a complicated picture, to say the least, but I don't think the show has taken any false step in this regard. That said, I'm interested in what else is going to be done with this later.

Comment

Originally posted by Kain View Post
              Concerning the Hundred Years War, France and England simply saw each other with mutual hatred and thought God's favor was exclusive to their own side. It doesn't have anything to do with the Protestant Reformation, of course, since even wars between Christians who formally shared the same faith resulted in a lot of religious name-calling, particularly in an era where the concept of holy war had long since been revived by the Crusades, including the ones that weren't directed against Muslims nor to recover the Holy Land. It's quite a complicated picture, to say the least, but I don't think the show has taken any false step in this regard. That said, I'm interested in what else is going to be done with this later.
              There is the Western Schism in the Catholic Church that took place in the middle of the Hundred Years Wars, and England and France were on different sides of that.

Comment

Well, I thought the first episode was quite good as an initial introduction to the setting and our main character. I'm willing to watch a few more episodes to see how things develop.

Absolutely loved the atmosphere, particularly with the simple yet expressive character designs, the musical direction and the storyboarding work in several cuts. I thought the first scene where the little girl is introduced to the witch, rather than being useless or too long, was necessary to set up the concept of how witches are treated in this world, as well as to connect it to the girl's father and his participation in the battle later in the episode. I guess some people think those scenes are boring, but I like that slice-of-life feel in my shows from time to time.

At this point in time all we know about the basic plot is that Maria intervenes to stop battles because she hates war, but I imagine there will be a few more complications added to that later on, presumably from either of the warring factions or the Catholic Church itself, which is clearly not in favor of Maria from what I could tell here. Of course, it wouldn't be too exciting if Maria never had to face any real opposition, but I think the show has hinted that things aren't going to be so simple. The last scene did tease that someone else was watching her actions after all.

Be that as it may, I liked the way Maria pulled a dragon from a cauldron and used it to stop the fight this time. Incidentally, the battle sequence was quite well done, with a fair amount of details that you don't usually see in an anime about medieval fantasy. Of course, the fact there is some historical color is also very welcome in this regard. I really love the medieval period of history and, while I'm not going to expect any anime to be completely historically accurate, my impression was that the creators did care enough to do some basic research in order to ground their story, regardless of the fact that the heroine is a young witch and that there will be over-the-top magic.

For me the use of sexual-related humor wasn't a big deal, neither in a positive or negative way. It didn't make me laugh a lot, but it didn't bother me either. If anything, I prefer this sort of verbally risqué content to the stereotypical harem comedies where the jokes are about the main character groping boobs or accidentally falling on top of a girl only to get slapped. That sort of stuff gets old after seeing it three dozen times. Here, I did find the bit about the succubus using her jaws worth a small chuckle. Incidentally, I also though it was good that the fanservice wasn't nearly as prevalent as the designs would suggest at a glance. Even the nudity was handled rather cautiously, all things considered, by anime standards.

Moving on...so far, I'm not annoyed by Joseph, the apparent male love interest. We don't know too much about him, but I appreciated the fact he came across as a normal and decent person, rather than yet another perfect Gary Stu who has the power to save the universe or who engages in harem antics like any hundred of other male protagonists. It's clear that Maria will be the center of attraction here, not him, but it seems they are giving him a supporting cast of some sort, with the other soldiers and so on, who look like they will stick around since their designs and voice actors stood out. That's not a bad idea in my opinion.

Overall, it seems the show will not be the most popular this season, not at all, but I think it has the potential to be an underrated series that'll be appreciated by a minority of people like me. :D
                Last edited by Kain; 01-12-2015, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                  There is the Western Schism in the Catholic Church that took place in the middle of the Hundred Years Wars, and England and France were on different sides of that.
                  Sure enough, though it sounds like the show is taking place towards the end of the war, after the schism had already been resolved. It wasn't the reason for the conflict even though it certainly provided an additional excuse while it lasted.

Comment

though it sounds like the show is taking place towards the end of the war, after the schism had already been resolved. It wasn't the reason for the conflict even though it certainly provided an additional excuse while it lasted.
                    Yeah, it would have to be after, if this was after Joan of Arc was captured and executed as I think was said in show (not that I know how much this series is following "real" history anyway). Though speaking of that, her heresy trial was overseen by clergy who were partisans for the other side. So there were still politics at play in religion there, too.

Comment

There were plenty of heretics running around the 1430s and 1440s - Lollards, Hussites, leftovers from the late schisms. Note you, though, that the extant heresies were in no way sympathetic to the cause of a hypothetical hedge-witch like Maria, they were pious, even fanatical anti-clericals in favor of vernacular liturgy and lay-preaching. The timeframe of the show is some point after 1431, as the burning of la Pucelle is discussed, and before 1447, because Henry Beaufort is mentioned as a living political actor. Jeanne herself was technically tried for heresy, not witchcraft, and was duly burned by civil authorities after conviction by the Church. But yeah, a flying witch appearing in the skies over a field battle & separating the armies by way of draco ex lebes definitely puts these events outside of anything recognizably historical.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                        Sure enough, though it sounds like the show is taking place towards the end of the war, after the schism had already been resolved. It wasn't the reason for the conflict even though it certainly provided an additional excuse while it lasted.
                        Right. We've got a clear timeline that this takes place after Joan of Arc became an active force. I don't recall it said that she'd been executed, but it makes it clear that she'd been checked to see if she was a virgin, which would seem to indicate after she had been captured by the English. The Western Schism is generally recognized as ending with election of Pope Martin V in 1417, when Joan of Arc was only 5 years old. It would be 11 years later that she first publicly proclaimed her visions, and in 1429 her life and morality was examined by the French, to make sure she wasn't a heretic whose exposure could be used as a weapon against the French. So, at a minimum, this anime takes place post 1429, and likely post 1431 when the Maid of Orleans was burned.
                        Last edited by General Hentai; 01-17-2015, 11:36 AM.
                        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch H. View Post

There were plenty of heretics running around the 1430s and 1440s - Lollards, Hussites, leftovers from the late schisms. Note you, though, that the extant heresies were in no way sympathetic to the cause of a hypothetical hedge-witch like Maria, they were pious, even fanatical anti-clericals in favor of vernacular liturgy and lay-preaching. The timeframe of the show is some point after 1431, as the burning of la Pucelle is discussed, and before 1447, because Henry Beaufort is mentioned as a living political actor. Jeanne herself was technically tried for heresy, not witchcraft, and was duly burned by civil authorities after conviction by the Church. But yeah, a flying witch appearing in the skies over a field battle & separating the armies by way of draco ex lebes definitely puts these events outside of anything recognizably historical.
                          The problem I have is that you have one side calling the other heretics, making this a religious conflict, and that just wasn't the case between England and France at that point. Although the conflict took on religious overtones with he arrival of Joan of Arc, it was more on the lines of "God is with us", than what would be later seen in any of the true religious wars that developed in the course of the Reformation.

Naturally, we're not in the real Hundred Years War: We've got witches, we've got heavenly intervention. My curiousity about how this all unfolds is that all too often in creating an anime or world concept, the notion of "every action having an equal and opposite reaction" is ignored. Because if you throw in a reality of magic and of heavenly intervention, you don't get just the Hundred Years War with those added in; you get an entirely different world where people would live and have grown up with those realities.

Comment

Naturally, we're not in the real Hundred Years War: We've got witches, we've got heavenly intervention. My curiousity about how this all unfolds is that all too often in creating an anime or world concept, the notion of "every action having an equal and opposite reaction" is ignored. Because if you throw in a reality of magic and of heavenly intervention, you don't get just the Hundred Years War with those added in; you get an entirely different world where people would live and have grown up with those realities.
                            Historiographically ontological inertia is an imperative, then? I don't disagree. Writers of novels tend to violate one maxim of alternate history - Only Make One Change - but writers of TV scripts are more inclined to violate the other maxim of alternate history - rigorously follow all discernible and discoverable consequences of your One Change. Really bad writers manage to violate both at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch H. View Post
                              Historiographically ontological inertia is an imperative, then? I don't disagree. Writers of novels tend to violate one maxim of alternate history - Only Make One Change - but writers of TV scripts are more inclined to violate the other maxim of alternate history - rigorously follow all discernible and discoverable consequences of your One Change. Really bad writers manage to violate both at the same time.
                              Change begets change, something that all too often forgotten. For instance, a botched assassination takes place in Sarejavo in 1914. The target and his wife go to visit those injured, their driver gets lost and stops to back the car, right in front of one of the failed assassins, who doesn't fail on this 2nd opportunity. Gavrillo Princip kills Archduke Ferdinand and his wife, striking the sparks that lead to WWI. So, it can be said that Princip's 2 murders was the direct cause of the millions who would die over the next 4 years. But too often, the narrative stops at that point. Without that action, there's no Russian Revolution, no Russian Civil War, No Soviet Union, No Lenin, No Stalin, no slaughter of tens of millions during the great purges and suppression of the kulaks. Without the power vaccum in Germany with the fall of the Kaiser, Hitler doesn't rise to power, no 60 million dead in WWII, no division of Germany, no division of Korea, no communist state support for Mao and his communists, no giving of North Korea to a ruthless communist dynasty. If the charges are true about the hacking of Sony by North Korea, it can be said that without a driver taking a wrong turn and stopping before Gavrillo Princip, there'd have been no hacking, at least by North Korea.

And that's what I'm saying: The inter-connectedness of matters would automatically cause vast changes to have taken place in the world we know of as set during the 15th century. Usually the one change is tossed in, and we're presented with that being the only change. I won't get too upset if that's what's presented with this show. However, I do have a great appreciation for those alternate history attempts which show that one change will result in further changes.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X