X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2015] Rolling Girls Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ローリング☆ガールズ

A show set in war-torn Japan about girls rolling around on their motorcycles to break up battles and establish peace.

Airs: Saturday, January 10

Studio: Wit

ANN Entry

My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

10 years after the Great Tokyo War, each prefectures in Japan had split up into independent nations. Each nations are ruled by a prophet called "Mosa" and an army called "Mob" as they start to compete to take over other countries. Four "Mob" girls from the Saitama clan, Nozomi, Yukina, Ai, Chiaya are ordered by their “Mosa” to travel around Japan riding their motor cycles to mediate multiple battles between nations and clans as they emerge.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Galaxy Angel, Rayearth, Arte, City Hunter
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Let's roll, girls!

It starts off with a battle between Shigyo and Masami as Maccha Green representing Higashimurayama and Tokorozawa, and their fight spills over into a restaurant where they have an eating contest, and then at the amusement park where the roller coaster splits. Nozomi is one of several mediators in training. That was some crazy stuff there, giving me the impression that Gainax of old was the one who produced this rather than the same studio that does Attack on Titan. So far, there's a lot that I don't understand seeing how it jumps back and forth between Nozomi and the fight between Shigyo and Masami, but it looks interesting and I'm definitely liking what I am seeing to this point.
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Well I had no idea what to expect from this, and after watching the first episode, I have even less of an idea. Huh.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

This seems to be the season of bizarre shows. I'll watch a few more episodes until I can get a better sense for the shows direction.
        Avatar: Asakusa Midori from Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
          It starts off with a battle between Shigyo and Masami as Maccha Green representing Higashimurayama and Tokorozawa, and their fight spills over into a restaurant where they have an eating contest, and then at the amusement park where the roller coaster splits.
          It feels like some real life history between Higashi Murayama and Tokorozawa was being injected into the show, but without that background information, it's hard to care about the current conflict and makes everything else feel sort of hollow. And who just gets on a bus without knowing who sent it?

The animation was certainly energetic, but that energy wasn't getting to me.
          My animé & figure collections
          Hummingbird
          || Tweeterings
          XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Well, one thing I will say. I did like that Easy Rider chopper.
            Avatar: Asakusa Midori from Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Comment

Originally posted by EyeOfPain View Post
              Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
              It starts off with a battle between Shigyo and Masami as Maccha Green representing Higashimurayama and Tokorozawa, and their fight spills over into a restaurant where they have an eating contest, and then at the amusement park where the roller coaster splits.
              It feels like some real life history between Higashi Murayama and Tokorozawa was being injected into the show, but without that background information, it's hard to care about the current conflict and makes everything else feel sort of hollow. And who just gets on a bus without knowing who sent it?
              There's the whole confusing and truncated background of the world they're in, that they're each just representatives of small prefectures in a newly "warring states" period of Japan. Or something. That actually seems all beside the point--even more so than in shows with even sillier concepts, like KanColle. Instead it's just an entertainment. (I think.)

First blush, the show just seems to be in that time-honored anime tradition of a production and/or creator wanting to feature a particular element (motorcycles, mostly?) and just built a random story and world for that element to play around in. It's not even concept-based; it's more like a car commercial, or the longer form of the promotional shorts some studios do for companies or organizations (like this one). This is Wit's first "original", right? They seem to be taking cues from the Prod. I.G. and Trigger rule book, but it doesn't yet feel as assured as especially what the latter does (the latest, Inou-Battle, an adaptation instead of an original, notwithstanding) where the way to sell an "entertainment", really just an excuse to have cute and eccentric characters do cool stuff on cool machines in a cool landscape, is to keep things deceptively simple. (Kill la Kill's a very simple tale, told with enormous verve and style that makes it feel deep. And it took years of experience with their previous shows to get there.) At least Rolling Girls seems mostly a comedy, so that helps a little.

But at least they're honest about it. Down to the end card disclaimer ("if it wasn't obvious, this is fictional") the confusion and feeling that a bunch of stuff is missing, perhaps never to be explained, seems absolutely deliberate. And really, by the end of the episode, at least after the amusing ramen scene, I started settling in a little more. You're right, EyeOfPain, that there still isn't anything to care about, but I think, with the setup out of the way, that it'll find its feet better next episode, and settle into a plot, of sorts, if the show synopsis is any indication. (I think.)
              Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
              TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                But at least they're honest about it. Down to the end card disclaimer ("if it wasn't obvious, this is fictional") the confusion and feeling that a bunch of stuff is missing, perhaps never to be explained, seems absolutely deliberate. And really, by the end of the episode, at least after the amusing ramen scene, I started settling in a little more. You're right, EyeOfPain, that there still isn't anything to care about, but I think, with the setup out of the way, that it'll find its feet better next episode, and settle into a plot, of sorts, if the show synopsis is any indication. (I think.)
                Yeah, I hadn't read the description beforehand, so I didn't know how unrepresentative of the rest of the show this first episode would be. It very well could pick up once the actual plot starts; so far though, it just feels like the writer overcomplicated the setting to be purposefully obtuse. Like you said, Gainax/Trigger was/is able to pull this off, but something about the execution here did not seem to produce the desired effect for me.
                My animé & figure collections
                Hummingbird
                || Tweeterings
                XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Episode 2

That hero is a lie.

So Shigyo would go as far as to put Masami's mates in danger and wreck the amusement park all to out her identity as Maccha Green. While it looked like Masami was going to avoid it, that lunch she ate caused her to puke and the mask came flying off. With both leaders having taken each other out of commission for awhile, it's onto the next destination for the girls now that the main foursome has assembled. The weirdness totally continues here, and it is reminiscent of FLCL with the way the fight went down.

From the look of things, this show is a keeper for the season, but I'm not quite ready to declare it just yet.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

This show is something else. Definitely feels like it's from another era, as made most obvious by all its songs that appear to come from the 80s and 90s, and draws attention to its campy panache at every chance. I can appreciate those factors well enough, but I'm not seeing much substance to go along with all the style, painting it as an unlikely candidate for me to stick with through the season.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Zany, zany show. I think I was right--though it took until the very end of the episode--that all of this excitement and deliberately haphazard world building was all to set up the real story: these four girls becoming the new mediators for these sorts of disagreements and rivalries--and not of the past, violent kind. (Maybe a little violent, who knows?) Showing Shigyou's background as a girl when she wanted to be a Best for heroic reasons before becoming corrupted by her power to become a "villain" as even her supporters believe, is part of this, I think. Our quartet of Rolling Girls will supposedly do things differently. (Though they'll still be looking for the stones that maybe give them these powers?)

Well, anyway. I'm starting to like this a lot more, just getting into the energy of the characterizations, and a bevy of humorous details. It was pretty neat how Ai, the tall, bikini-clad one, was introduced in the background before we knew her, first as a Murayama supporter who had the conscience to try to stop the roller coaster, and then coming out of nowhere to punch Crocodile in the face while trying to encourage Nozomi. She's a kick. And now that the hectic first episode, despite everything, established some rules for this world, I enjoyed jokes like how the Tokorozawa supporters could survive the roller coaster by simply allowing themselves to be blown away (never mind the actual physics of a roller coaster...) since they're used to having that happen. Or bizarre little asides and long call-backs, like the birds on the inflatable giant robot. Or that mercenary third party that these groups hire, and who has, evidently, an evil streak that gets out of hand. It's all pretty wild. But it's fun, too. (The music, like the motorcycles, is an enjoyable touch, and something just a little different--a little bit of a throwback like GingaDaiuchuu says--that establishes this "group of cute eccentric girls saving the world" story apart from others.)

Hey, and that opening. That may have made me like the show, despite uncertainties coming into it this week, more than anything. After that song (and, for a change, a reasonably well done, somewhat classic-style pop-rock cut; more appealing than just more over-orchestrated straight pop) I was ready for anything. (And then the animation. I do always like the anime cast as a band thing.)

The director, Kotomi Deai, in a short time, has worked on a wide variety of pretty creative projects, several of which I'm quite fond of (storyboard and unit direction on Michiko & Hatchin and Silver Spoon; director for Silver Spoon 2; plus similar work for Ergo Proxy, My Little Monster, Oreshura, The World God Only Knows, etc.). I can feel like elements of all that have been thrown into this. Head writer Yasuyuki Muto, who doesn't seem to have worked with Deai before, offers a whole other variety of work. You get the sense of really interesting melting pot going on here. There's certainly influence from people like Tsurumaki and Imaishi, but also the stylistic principles from people Deai's worked under: Sayo Yamamoto, Kanta Kamei, and Tomohiko Ito. That's good influence.
                      Last edited by bctaris; 01-18-2015, 02:20 PM.
                      TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                        The director, Kotomi Deai, in a short time, has worked on a wide variety of pretty creative projects, several of which I'm quite fond of
                        I remember her name first catching my attention a while back, because after the Shiori bookgasm episode in TWGOK, I had to look up the specific people involved (and she storyboarded and directed the OP too which was also neat).

As far as this shows goes, I was feeling (as Ginga did) it's all style and not as much substance, or at least not the substance that interests me much yet. I thought I was going to drop it at the second episode, but this does leave me curious enough for at least one more episode I guess, particularly since it looks like our main group has only just now come together.

Comment

Episode 3

Let's get to the heart of the matter.

Together for the first time, the girls are off to Odaiba where everyday it's Comiket with the knights protecting the place, and already the girls are in a tough situation as Chiaya's heart stone is mistaken for the captain's missing heart stone, and for that they are mistaken for the Dynamite Bombers that are threatening the city. But with the real one found by the captain's raven that at least the girls are off the hook, but danger is imminent.

It will be interesting to see what that shady guy is up to having taken possession of both heart stones, and Chiaya's mother seems to be hoarding them for some reason. That's another nice episode there as it is fun to see a place where it is Comiket everyday and the people guarding the place are cosplayers with powers that only punish wrongdoers. I just really love Chiaya seeing how she stays calm through all this while the others were literally butting heads.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Tomokazu Seki! Wish I could stick around to hear more of him, but it's just not quite capturing my interest on the whole. There's a lot of appeal here, just not necessarily appeal for me.

I was under the impression that Steins;Gate made up the term "Comima" as an equivalent abbreviation of "Comic Market" without calling it "Comiket" like it actually is, but if this is using the same term, perhaps it is a real option? I don't see this show making references to something so new. Speaking of which, though, the inclusion of the Comima Cloud was amusing (and bringing forth thoughts of its real counterpart, disgusting).
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                              I was under the impression that Steins;Gate made up the term "Comima" as an equivalent abbreviation of "Comic Market" without calling it "Comiket" like it actually is, but if this is using the same term, perhaps it is a real option? I don't see this show making references to something so new. Speaking of which, though, the inclusion of the Comima Cloud was amusing (and bringing forth thoughts of its real counterpart, disgusting).
                              That was pretty funny, yes. Far as "Comina", I hadn't heard it before; I've seen "Comike" (kijakusai has referred to it that way) and of course Comiket, but that's new to me.

And as far as the show, it's strange, but I like the loose (very loose) style of it. And it's darn colorful to watch. It's enjoyable to see this kind of multi-faceted art design. Comina, for instance, had candy-colored backgrounds that were all in a water color or pastel style. (I guess to refer to some kind of doujinshi-style art or something, but I can't see how.) But if each locale they go to has a different design (not to mention culture) then that's an extra bonus.

There's something interesting and subtle with the characterization, too. Unlike stories of like-minded young people coming together to fight justice, or whatever, Nozomi has this amusing suspicion and almost annoyance of the others as they were traveling. They're all on different pages, really, maybe symbolically of the the larger world. Nozomi has a mission, of sorts, to simply take up Maccha Green's mantle. Chiaya pretends to have a mission, but it's a naive one to just collect pretty stones that she knows nothing about. Yukina, remember, is just caught up in things--she wanted to find the Propellers, but what for we don't know, and didn't seem to want to become a Rest. Ai's the reckless one, just joining along with whatever looks interesting.

Well, I sat through two cours of Samurai Flamenco, so I think I can tolerate the (perhaps intentionally) disjointed feeling of this one. The look and feel is appealing enough.
                              TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X