幸腹グラフィティ

Cute girls doing culinary things.

Airs: Friday, January 9

Studio: SHAFT

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The story follows Ryou, a middle school girl who lives by herself. She has a knack for cooking and makes friendships with everyone through her food. The cooking manga is "full of detailed cuisine art to whet the appetite and slightly erotic meal scenes." The "koufuku" in the title is a wordplay on two Japanese homonyms—one which means "happiness," and another that means "appetite."

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by bctaris; 01-09-2015, 05:49 PM. Reason: added cr link
    My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Episode 1

That was something. Okay episode. It didn't feel terrible nor something splendid. Had some of the usual SHAFTness.

Orange haired-chan has got to control herself. That erotic eating lol. Not much to say about this. It wasn't so special. The visuals were so-so overall. Except for the food eating parts where the details really brought out the SHAFTness. The comedy was good at times and lacked at other times.

I'll continue because of erotic eating hehe...

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Oh my, a marriage proposal in the first episode? Slow down you two! Eating has never been so erotic. I wonder who that other girl was that we saw brief glimpses of (the one who ordered pizza) will come into the show. It's from Monthly Kirara, so it's a must watch. The OP is the second best one this season for me (first is Lesbian Bears).
      Last edited by Library-chan; 01-09-2015, 10:13 PM.
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

I was hoping that the show from Akiyuki SHAFTbo and Mari Okada would be among my favorites of the season, but I figured the subject matter probably wasn't going to lend itself too well to that, and I was right. Not bad or anything, and it succeeded in making me hungry, but these kinds of shows rarely do much for me, and there's nothing too special about this one yet.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Food always tastes the best when eating with a loved one.

That was pretty cute the way Ryou took care of Kirin while she was feeling under the weather there, and while Ryou has been taking up cooking she isn't exactly making stuff that tastes good. It turns out that love is the missing ingredient. For something by Shaft, this is pretty tame seeing how they are known for throwing a barrage of bizarre visuals. Anyway, that was an alright episode there with plenty of heartwarming stuff to get this show going, and I'll watch some more to see if I'm hungry enough to add this show seeing that my plate is getting quite full with so many delicious shows to watch this season.
          MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
          Watching: Galaxy Angel, Rayearth, Arte, City Hunter
          Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

So that was a nice little story of family and food. It's just a little more substantial than your average cute-girls-slice-of-life, which is nice. It's plenty cute, too, which is always great.

As for the rather... sensual eating scenes, I actually rather liked them. I'm not really a fan of sexual fanservice, but while Kirin might find Ryou's eating sexy, it didn't really come off that way to me. I mean, it's definitely sensual... in that it's definitely evoking a strong sense of taste from the visuals. And this is where SHAFT really did something magical with the animation here, making it quite clear just how much Ryou is enjoying her food now, and even allowing the audience to "taste" that food along with her to an extent. So I find that actually quite nice--perhaps one of the best uses of sensual, visual fanservice I've seen.

So yeah, this is definitely looking to be my soul food for the season, and definitely a contender for my favorite new show.
            Still alive and lurking.

Avatar: Arisu from The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls, representing my state after each workday.

Comment

Originally posted by stardf29 View Post
              As for the rather... sensual eating scenes, I actually rather liked them. I'm not really a fan of sexual fanservice, but while Kirin might find Ryou's eating sexy, it didn't really come off that way to me. I mean, it's definitely sensual... in that it's definitely evoking a strong sense of taste from the visuals. And this is where SHAFT really did something magical with the animation here, making it quite clear just how much Ryou is enjoying her food now, and even allowing the audience to "taste" that food along with her to an extent. So I find that actually quite nice--perhaps one of the best uses of sensual, visual fanservice I've seen.
              I agree. It was also somewhat played as a cute joke, with Kirin's commentary, so it's really kind of amusing.

Ah, so the cute girls being cute girls while [insert activity] show of the season. I like food stories, so this is light fun so far. Shaft's usual style is just slightly subdued but it still has some weird effect on the story telling. That flat, sharp style, as idiosyncratic as it is, can be very cold. And in a story about the themes of home and family and the literal warmth food brings to that, it can be just a little disconcerting. (Directorial style matters, too: Shaft and Oshimbo's style is very grounded in classic Japanese cinema (and theater before that) in how it's staged, and scenes look best, I think when they stick more to those precepts: the scenes where the camera angle is low, at table level, have the most "warmth" to me. Higher up, more voyeuristic, less so.) But Shaft likes color, too. And that can makes up for some of the design. The obvious one, of course, was Ryou's apartment being very drab and monotone while she was alone eating in it, but once Kirin shows up, all the color comes back. An obvious technique, but a nice one.

Yeah, so light fun. It's obviously going to grow into a bigger group--I particularly am looking forward to bringing in the girl upstairs who seems to order pizza a lot.
              Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
              TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                Originally posted by stardf29 View Post
                I agree. It was also somewhat played as a cute joke, with Kirin's commentary, so it's really kind of amusing.

Ah, so the cute girls being cute girls while [insert activity] show of the season. I like food stories, so this is light fun so far. Shaft's usual style is just slightly subdued but it still has some weird effect on the story telling. That flat, sharp style, as idiosyncratic as it is, can be very cold. And in a story about the themes of home and family and the literal warmth food brings to that, it can be just a little disconcerting. (Directorial style matters, too: Shaft and Oshimbo's style is very grounded in classic Japanese cinema (and theater before that) in how it's staged, and scenes look best, I think when they stick more to those precepts: the scenes where the camera angle is low, at table level, have the most "warmth" to me. Higher up, more voyeuristic, less so.) But Shaft likes color, too. And that can makes up for some of the design. The obvious one, of course, was Ryou's apartment being very drab and monotone while she was alone eating in it, but once Kirin shows up, all the color comes back. An obvious technique, but a nice one.
                That's somewhat why I felt the 'wholesomeness' was a little awkward after the sensuality was toned down with Kirin's arrival. Then again, I suppose the style could just end up being all incidental considering Ryou's tendency to enjoy her food now while giving us viewers the fanservice to satisfy are palates.

Yeah, so light fun. It's obviously going to grow into a bigger group--I particularly am looking forward to bringing in the girl upstairs who seems to order pizza a lot.
                Yep, yet another series I'll be following. Haven't really seen any really good 'food series' since Ben-to...so hopefully this should fulfill that absence.

Comment

Episode 2

So more ero ero eating here.

The SHAFTness is more visible here than in the last episode. The trademark head tilts and those weird angles are all here. More eating scenes than in the last episode. Overall an improvement.

The comedy is getting better. Akira is a fun person lol. Kirin wants to get closer to orange hair-chan but doesn't know anything about her. Both girls are getting close. The interactions of the two girls were nice. The kinpatsu was, well, different. I expected her to be a sorta childish playful character but she's kinda like a mature girl.

Things are getting more enjoyable.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

She made a friend in Tokyo.

It's now springtime, and that means cherry blossom viewing. In comes Akira to meet Kirin, and she's into beer, and drinks a lot after sneaking a bite of the Russian roulette sandwich. Then there's Shiina who makes friends with Kirin. That's a nice way to get Kirin to find her way around Tokyo through cuisine and relationships. While last episode was tame for a Shaft production, this episode the weirdness they are known for has a bigger presence with the way the girls approach eating and those weird angles.

So this show has made a good impression so far, but it has competition for my watchlist this season. Another episode is on the menu and then I'll see if I'll keep on dining.
                    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
                    Watching: Galaxy Angel, Rayearth, Arte, City Hunter
                    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
                    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Significantly SHAFTier than the first episode. The erotic eating continues, though I'm a little amazed by the restraint shown with the cheese-filled omelet roll. It will be interesting to see how the food orgasms in Food Wars! next season compare.

I might've liked this episode slightly more than the first, but it's still a long ways from something I'm especially interested in watching all of.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Originally posted by Yamada2 View Post
                        The SHAFTness is more visible here than in the last episode. The trademark head tilts and those weird angles are all here. More eating scenes than in the last episode. Overall an improvement.
                        I think that may be caused by some contaminated food Ryou prepared. Maybe a bacterial infection or a parasite.

Either way, I think it would be best if they saw a doctor and got treatment before the condition worsens.
                        My animé & figure collections
                        Hummingbird
                        || Tweeterings
                        XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

I found the style--not just in the design, but the direction--even more incongruous with the tone of this kind of story than last time. In an episode that was predominately outdoors it felt actually more confined than the last episode that was mostly indoors. The constant frame-filling shots and closeups, tight pans, and that as usual sharply designed background and setting just doesn't allow the characters or the story to breathe. Not for this kind of story, anyway, with character-based humor and cute or quirky activities and gestures. SHAFT slice-of-life-style moe is strange, indeed. Maybe if the character design was less soft it would all feel more cohesive. I don't know.

I'm still interested in the characters coming together. Ambivalent about this too-stock-character Akira, but Shiina's more interesting--thought she'd be kind of the stand-off-ish type after a brief shot of her last episode, but instead she's just subdued and irreverent. (Mikako Komatsu's equally subdued voice for her, helps, too.) And pizza girl's still there, peeking this time. But I'm not sure how much patience I'm going to have for this if the direction and the characterization remain so disjointed. It's Mari Okada on script, so the latter should be okay, but I don't know what director Naoyuki Tatsuwa is trying to do with the former (or how much he can, with Simbo and his usual team of chief animation directors guiding the ship).
                          Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                          TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                            I'm still interested in the characters coming together. Ambivalent about this too-stock-character Akira, but Shiina's more interesting--thought she'd be kind of the stand-off-ish type after a brief shot of her last episode, but instead she's just subdued and irreverent. (Mikako Komatsu's equally subdued voice for her, helps, too.) And pizza girl's still there, peeking this time. But I'm not sure how much patience I'm going to have for this if the direction and the characterization remain so disjointed. It's Mari Okada on script, so the latter should be okay, but I don't know what director Naoyuki Tatsuwa is trying to do with the former (or how much he can, with Simbo and his usual team of chief animation directors guiding the ship).
                            I found both Shiina and Akira to be stock characters (as Ryou and Kirin are too), but they're not poorly drawn for the most part (I'll agree, though, with your basic idea that Akira is far more one-dimensional than the others so far, in that she's a one-note persona, the heavily drinking office lady, a lazy way to proclaim "this is a grown up, even though we have high school girls just as physically developed (or more) than she is as part of the show").

I find it a little hard to give my opinion on this show, because it feels like it's pressing all kinds of buttons, both good and bad (for me), at the same time. It's not that it's scatter-shot or lacking focus, but more that it's both appealing and kind of bland at the same time. Like a potluck dinner, where someone brings a very interesting and enticing dish but someone else brings something bland and boring, but which does appeal to certain tastes.
                            Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                            Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                            I'm a little tired now...I want soda.
                            Casual

Comment

More adorabliness this episode. Kirin should just move in with Ryou and marry her. And we meet Akira, you looks like a lot fun. You better look out Kirin, she's going to steal Ryou away from you! And we also get Shiina, who shows up the OP, briefly. And pizza girl makes her appearance, who has her eye on Kirin. This is the show I look forward to seeing every week, more than other.
                              Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X