X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2015] Assassination Classroom Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    暗殺教室

A show about a yellow octopus teacher who throws the gauntlet at his students to see if they can kill him to save the world.

Airs: Friday, January 9

Studio: Lerche

ANN Entry

My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

One day, the moon exploded, leaving it in a perpetual crescent-moon shape. The creature who claims responsibility for the destruction also claims it will destroy the world in March of next year. With powers beyond human comprehension, no military can stand against it. Yet, for some reason, it chooses to take up occupancy as a teacher in the worst class of Kunugigaoka Middle School. The fate of the world rests in the hands of its students, as they have until graduation to figure out how to murder their teacher and collect ten billion yen for saving the world.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Galaxy Angel, Rayearth, Arte, City Hunter
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

He's fast, but not furious.

Koro-sensei is such a riot there being a villain who isn't exactly acting like one. He's a pretty funny guy considering that he intends to destroy the world, but instead he opts to be a teacher that his students are supposed to kill. This episode does a nice job in showing Nagisa's background as he (and yes, that is a boy even though he looks like a girl and has a girl's name) had been living as an outclass and opted to be a "suicide bomber" in this assassination attempt. AssClass has definitely delivered in the first episode of this two-cour show that is one of the most highly anticipated of the season.
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Ok this was freakin amazing! Just awesome!

It started off kinda dark and serious. That ended when Mr. Octopus came in. Everyone started firing at him. Lol.

That is one fast set of tentacles. The comedy is just perfect. The sudden switch to seriousness after Nagisa's suicide attack was great. It became even greater when octopus-sensei switched back to being the usual.

Lol going off to China for lunch like it was just around the corner.

It's ridiculous. Koro is just having fun not dying.

Also, Nagisa is a guy??!! He totally looks like a girl!

Anyway, will definitely watch this neko!
      My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Since Viz did put the first chapter of this in the latest Weekly Shonen Jump to tie in with the anime premiering, I didn't go in totally blind, but this series is still amazingly absurd and I have no idea where it's going. Fukuyama sure knows how to ham it up, though, so that's a good start.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

There are some definite amusing moments to it, but I have to wonder how long the "teacher is invincible" joke can carry the show. Although based on some of the scenes, you have to wonder if there's something else going on. Or if they're just setting us up for future punch lines. I might try a bit to see how it goes.

Comment

Great episode. Nagisa's a guy, huh? There's something deeper than just "Kids trying to kill their teacher" going on here.
            Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Wow. This was absolutely fantastic.

I was expecting something of a fun story going in to this, and I definitely got the fun. Koro-sensei is quite the character, especially with his quirks such as the preoccupation with grooming the things/people that are trying to kill him. There's also a fun style to this that's at times almost reminiscent of Humanity Has Declined (another Kishi Seiji-directed show).

But I was not quite expecting the deeper, character growth storyline of the kids, who are the "rejects" of their school that Koro-sensei takes under its wings--er, tentacles and helps them grow. I already like those kinds of stories, and while that in and of itself isn't anything special, the juxtaposition of that with the whole "kill the crazy, super-powered alien teacher" element, as disparate as they seem, somehow really works.

So yeah, I can definitely see this becoming one of my favorites this season.
              Still alive and lurking.

Avatar: Arisu from The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls, representing my state after each workday.

Comment

Episode 2

Play ball!

This episode is about Sugino who has the tools to become a great pitcher, but still that's not going to kill Koro-sensei. In the morning he skips out to attend a Yankees game, and uses what he saw to help out Sugino. Nagisa has been taking notes about weaknesses in Koro-sensei, and while they are getting closer, they still have a long way to go. This show continues to be really funny and definitely one of this season's highlights, and Koro-sensei is so full of irony and craziness. And now, there's a student coming back from suspension, and it will be interesting to see what role he plays.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Still no idea where this is going. I didn't watch much of Danganronpa because FUNimation's site was pretty terrible at the time, so I never really got to the point in that where I knew where it was going. The big difference is of course the source material, and this seems like it might have a good chance of no real ending.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

I really like how they switch from relative seriousness to nonsensical comedy like how Koro-sensei was telling Sugino that he'll never become a great baseball player after tentacling him after which Nagisa thought he was looking down on them only to find out that sensei had just done the same thing to the baseballer Arita lol. The comedy isn't showing signs of going down and judging by the method they're going with, I doubt it'll go down that much. Because they aren't going for a one episode one assassination attempt, students will randomly attempt to kill him and he will avoid those attempts in a hilarious way.

They are also developing a strong relationship between the students and Koro-sensei. He's not just here to have fun not dying, he's genuinely interested in teaching the class. I think they're going to manage this quite well. Or so I hope.

Looks like the redhead guy is going to show up. He looks pretty cool and is also kinda arrogant. It'll be hilarious when he ends up failing miserably in his attempt lol. The next episode will probably focus more on this guy.
                    My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Huh. Only anime could come up with that kind of public service message: "If you're going to be an assassin, kids, don't be a suicide bomber!"

And Nagisa was my favorite blue-eyed, blue short-haired pigtailed girl since Mio Naganohara. But I guess he's my favorite blue-eyed, blue short-haired pigtailed boy, instead.

Charming show in about all respects. Quirky and clever while being pretty traditional under the surface. (Thanks to stardf29 for pointing out that Seiji Kishi--with writer Makoto Uezu--is in charge of this. It does have that vibe of a normal or idealized world--not to mention a story--just off kilter, similar to Humanity Has Declined. Though that was an original, and this an adaptation, so how Kishi's desire to tilt things in odd directions is contained could be a big question.)

I also don't know how interested I would be in a 22-episode run of this, which transforms this into more of a shounen sport show sort of feel. I kind of feel like marathoning this one a little later, cour to cour, especially if it becomes repetitive, "assassination-attempt-of-the-week", and all that. I suspect, or hope, it'll just get weirder, instead. So no harm giving it another couple episodes.
                      Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                      TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                        Charming show in about all respects. Quirky and clever while being pretty traditional under the surface. (Thanks to stardf29 for pointing out that Seiji Kishi--with writer Makoto Uezu--is in charge of this. It does have that vibe of a normal or idealized world--not to mention a story--just off kilter, similar to Humanity Has Declined. Though that was an original, and this an adaptation, so how Kishi's desire to tilt things in odd directions is contained could be a big question.)
                        Humanity Has Declined was based on a light novel.
                        Last edited by bctaris; 01-17-2015, 05:52 PM. Reason: fixed link
                        My animé & figure collections
                        Hummingbird
                        || Tweeterings
                        XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Originally posted by Yamada2 View Post
                          Looks like the redhead guy is going to show up. He looks pretty cool and is also kinda arrogant. It'll be hilarious when he ends up failing miserably in his attempt lol. The next episode will probably focus more on this guy.
                          Personally, I'm dreading his introduction. I'm not sure if they're created at the suggestion of an editor, but they always seem to inject some unneeded drama, and detract from the elements I came to enjoy about the story. At least, that seems to be the case as of late.
                          My animé & figure collections
                          Hummingbird
                          || Tweeterings
                          XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Another interesting episode. This show continues to be quite good, and a nice bit of fun, although the whole "why is any of this happening" is something I'm not holding out much hope of finding out about, given that this is an ongoing manga. I found Sugino's depression rather unrealistic, however. I mean, seriously the best fastball pitchers can't even reach 100 mph, and you're throwing at someone who maxes out at 15,000 mph. Definitely on my watching rotation.
                            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post

I also don't know how interested I would be in a 22-episode run of this, which transforms this into more of a shounen sport show sort of feel. I kind of feel like marathoning this one a little later, cour to cour, especially if it becomes repetitive, "assassination-attempt-of-the-week", and all that. I suspect, or hope, it'll just get weirder, instead. So no harm giving it another couple episodes.
                              I think this show's going to work well for me as a weekly watch, and not be too much better as a marathon, at least if it keeps the present pace, which seems to be to tell a story or two a week, while slowly giving more background info.
                              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X