X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2015] Military! Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    みりたり!

A series of shorts adapted from a 4-koma about cute girls enlisting in the military and causing all sorts of crazy commotion while handling guns.

Airs: Thursday, January 8

Studio: Dream Creation

ANN Entry

My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Based on the four-panel manga by Mamo Williams, Military! promises to be one of the most hilarious military adventures yet! The Krakozhia Dukedom and the Grania Republic are at war, and high school student Sōhei Yano wants no part of it. But when two Lieutenants show up in tanks at his door, his life becomes an exercise in dodging stray bullets!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Galaxy Angel, Rayearth, Arte, City Hunter
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

- That's no earthquake, it's a girl in a Panzer.
    - The enemy is after Souhei's life, and that's because his father was mistakenly enlisted.
    - And so, the girls of the military have moved in.

That was pretty funny seeing how there was this whole mixup that landed Shouhei in harm's way. Since it's a short that I'll continue to watch this.
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen anything about it, but as soon as I saw the title "Military!" I assumed this is what it would be. Another very strange paradigm of modern anime that anything with a "military" theme is most likely going to have cute girls at the center. Anyway, pointless cheap little short-form nonsense.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

That was really stupid. Not offensively stupid, but really quite stupid. Since it's a short, I might watch one more episode, but unless they start doing something more clever than bunny panty shots and random firings of military weapons, I don't see this being a good way to waste 5 minutes a week.
        Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        I'm a little tired now...I want soda.
        Casual

Comment

Dumb fun. I like the nonsensical gag side of short anime, so this is a fun, if probably forgettable, way to waste a couple minutes a week.

I did like that I could pretend this kid's father is actually Rock Okajima.
          Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
          TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Sadly, the writer-director of the anime chipped gags from the Military! 4-koma manga when he adapted it into the anime, whose running time is short.
            For example, when Lieutenant Rutgalnikov first met Sōhei, she asked him what he belonged to. He said, 'Jōhō-shori-kenkyū-bu' (his school's data processing club like that of Yuyushiki). The word 'jōhō' can mean not only 'data, information' but also 'intelligence' as in 'Military Intelligence, Section 6'. The word 'bu' can mean not only 'club' but also 'section'. So, she erroneously thought that he was an agent for a military intelligence organisation.
            When she mentioned the military intelligence organisation, she used the term 'tokumu kikan'. There is a funny gap between the term which has a 'hard' stylistic feel and his peaceful (or once-peaceful) civilian life.
            I think Payao, who is a military otaku, used the term 'tokumu (kikan)' in Castle in the Sky.

The fish which Lieutenant Rutgalnikov eats in the credit sequence are shishamo.
            That is a gag that a tough foreign soldier likes the small fish of which connotations are 'Japanese' and 'domestic'.
            The best time of year for shishamo is November to December. Try shishamo, if you visit Hokkaidō in that season.

Comment

Re: Military! Discussion Thread

The WTF is strong with this one. Dumb fun. There are worse ways to waste a few minutes a week.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

- Souhei, you have a package. And it's Sergeant Shachirov who has shipped herself to kill him.
                - The chase is on, and he goes into the bathroom and gets a bloody face in the process.
                - Shachirov is sent packing through air mail.

Poor Souhei has to put up with these girls, especially when one of them is delivered right to him. And now she's somewhere else after being shipped away. Well, that episode was pretty lame compared to the first, but still seeing Shachirov like that is something.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

So if the vid quality bad for anyone else? I was wondering why they were even HD options on this, but then I went back to the first episode and it didn't look as bad. Maybe the delay for better materials came up empty for Crunchyroll.

Still sure is wacky, but it's not in a way that gets me bored of it. I may stick around since it's a short. I wonder if the woman who looks ready to take home assassin-loli-in-a-box at the end will be recurring. Doesn't seem she has a page on the official site.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                    So if the vid quality bad for anyone else? I was wondering why they were even HD options on this, but then I went back to the first episode and it didn't look as bad. Maybe the delay for better materials came up empty for Crunchyroll.
                    Yep.

Seems like a pretty terrible series to me in general, so no real loss there.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

I was waiting to see if this show could be more than stale, cliched jokes combined with loli panty shots.

I don't think I need to wait any longer.
                      Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                      Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                      I'm a little tired now...I want soda.
                      Casual

Comment

I wonder if the woman who looks ready to take home assassin-loli-in-a-box at the end will be recurring. Doesn't seem she has a page on the official site.

Spoiler ->She is Mizuno-san. (The credit sequence has her name.) She is one of the regular characters in the 4-koma manga. If the story of the anime version goes as that of the Military! 4-koma manga went, Sergeant Shatilov will lodge at her house.

Comment

Ah, you guys need to enjoy your empty calories more.

Yeah, that was odd. It became really apparent during the censoring bit, and got slightly better after that, so I wonder if--seeing as that was likely a broadcast edit--that the original material was screwed up in that process and this is all CR had to work with.
                          Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                          TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Episode 3

I only noticed terrible quality on the ED this time. But man, pretty bad overall.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Re: Episode 3

- Battles are fought in the cold, so it's nothing for those girls.
                              - Kotatsu tables fight the cold, but not when they are turned into tanks.
                              - And the house is full of holes. So much for fighting winter.

Well, at least it's a marginal improvement over last week's stupidity, but still this is lame. Seeing that it's a short that I guess I'll stick with it for now, but I need to get my eyes checked after what I have been seeing. The fuzziness in the animation quality is a lingering problem and here it just continues to stick out like a sore thumb.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X