X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2015] Tokyo Ghoul √A (Root A) Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    東京喰種トーキョーグール√A

The conflict between humans and flesh-eating ghouls continues as Kaneki continues to figure out how humans and ghouls can co-exist.

Airs: Thursday, January 8

Studio: Pierrot

ANN Entry

My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

Season 1 Discussion Thread

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Main, Ascendance of a Bookworm
    Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

If you can't kill them, join them.

And so, the war with the Aogiri continues, and half of the ghoul hunters have been killed all while Touka is beaten to a pulp not only because of the beating she took from Ayato, but seeing Kaneki joining forces with the Aogiri as well. Kaneki comes in to fight Ayato, but he spared him simply because he is Touka's brother. The battle ends with a massive demolition of the fortress.

It's great to see this show finally back after the way the last season ended, and I must say that this is how the first season should have ended with the battle having been decided rather than to see Kaneki come to terms with his ghoulish half. It will be interesting to see just what Kaneki is up to joining the Aogiri seeing how they are not exactly looking for ways to co-exist with humans like what Anteiku is all about.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      I must say that this is how the first season should have ended with the battle having been decided rather than to see Kaneki come to terms with his ghoulish half.
      This. The break between seasons killed the momentum of this arc. Given that it took only one more episode to finish it, its surprising the staff didn't plan the first season better to end it on a more logical note. The result was the ending of the first season was disappointing while coming into this episodes, the events were not fresh in my mind so the stakes didn't feel as high as they should have. A very weird decision.
      Avatar: Pariya from Otoyomegatari.

Comment

That was something. It's Naruto all over again. Kaneki was probably inspired by Sasuke so he left to join the bad guys. I doubt he's smart enough to go to the baddies to end up betraying them. Although it would be interesting if he does that.

What does he have to gain from joining Aogiri? Looks like Hide is getting into action. The first season totally ignored him. He was a cool guy and probably is still I think.

The new opening song sucks. It's about some prostitute or something lol. The ending song is okay I guess. At least it isn't about a prostitute like the OP. The opening of the first season was WAY better. I'm gonna be skipping the OP.
        My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Wow, episode 1 of the second season and Kaneki is already a bad guy. Huh, it will be interesting to see how this season progresses. Hopefully it has more of an ending than the first. I'm quite certain this series has the potential to become really great, so hopefully the adaptation ends up being long and problem-free enough to deliver on that.

I really loved the OP for the first season, so I was hoping for something to follow up on that. Unfortunately that wasn't attempted whatsoever, and instead we get a very different, very minimalistic sequence. Visually it's an interesting idea, but not only is the song not doing much for me at this point, the first season's OP was so fantastically directed that I can't quite appreciate this.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Business as usual, not quite.

Kaneki is with the enemy, Touka is studying for college entrance exams, and Amon has a new partner in Mado's daughter Akira. Akira is not exactly the type who wastes time with politeness. It's business as usual back at Anteiku, except that Kaneki won't be working for them.

Pretty much, this is mostly setup for things to go down, and not much was said about why Kaneki joined up with the Aogiri considering the type of character he was before that encounter with the Aogiri. Anyway, it's nice to be re-introduced to the characters after the last episode finished up what should have been finished in the first season. It will be interesting to see what kind of role Akira will play.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Akira is about as likable a character as possible while still being believable as Mado's daughter. Amon doesn't deserve it, but his misguided principles have him respecting people who don't deserve respect, and with the most prominent of those being Mado himself, he's likely to feel obligated to support his daughter even more than he would simply as a partner. She comes across as the typical master investigator, so I'm sure she'll be as big of a problem as her father was, just in almost the opposite way.

Still no idea what the fuck is going through Kaneki's head.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 2

So Sasuke - I mean Kaneki is sort of incharge of an Aogiri squad and is ravaging different wards along with Toka's brother. I think it's kinda strange that they have enough trust in Kaneki to put him in the same level as Toka's brother. I mean Kaneki was the enemy just recently. Is it because of his hair? Does this owl person like white haired guys? Lol. In any case, at least Toka's brother (forgot his name lol) doesn't have that much trust in Kaneki and is kinda rude to him. The others should be keeping an eye on Kaneki I hope.

I wonder what that mummy girl looks like. She removed her bandages in the end. I hope she's kawaii.

Akira sure is a rude yet totally professional person. Every second down to the decimal counts. Politeness? Who's got time for that? 0.6 seconds are very valuable. Can't waste it on meaningless politeness.

Comment

Episode 3

Cannibal gone missing.

Kaneki attacks a truck along with Aogiri where he sees two half-ghouls. Back at Anteiku, news reaches out and Hinami decides to go out and get a book signed for Kaneki. In the meantime, Juzo has his weapon while Amon is investigating the missing person Kaneki.

Basically, this is just more setup seeing that not much focus was put on Kaneki. Hinami got some attention here, and she was very cute in this episode, first dressing up and then doing this for Kaneki to one day get him back to Anteiku. And then Tsukiyama drops by as well. Let's see what this leads up to.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Looking back at Kaneki before any of this madness ever happened provides a good juxtaposition against the Kaneki we see today, although he remains little more than a "villain in the shadows" type for another episode, despite being the protagonist of the series. As the different people with different connections to him come together, though, there's a far more interesting story being woven together than Kaneki's own appearances. I can't believe it took them this long to piece together the information regarding Kaneki's "creation" as a ghoul.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 3

This season is looking to be better than its prequel.

So a new weirdo has emerged here. Jason's little brother lol. Kaneki takes on a truck to save this dude. The other ghoul groups also have an eye out for him.

Lol Kaneki, the guy who ate Jason, is being called a "good person" by the new weirdo. Wait till he finds out what really happened lol.

Hide is still searching for his lost friend. He has figured out that Kaneki had a secret and is related to the eyepatch ghoul. Or so I hope he knows. The anti-ghoul force has managed to put together pieces of the puzzle. It'll be interesting to see how they further investigate. They'll probably question those close to Kaneki and might come across Hide and he'll probably end up finding out about Kaneki.

Anteiku is also leading a sneak attack into Aogiri land under the lead of that sick bastard. And mummy girl is that author? Wow. Unexpected.

Comment

Episode 4

Weakness means the death of everybody.

The Aogiri are attacking the Cochlea prison while Amon and Akira are there, and they free lots of prisoners while leaving a trail of bloodshed. Akira pulls out her gas can, but gets bitten in the leg, and Kaneki goes off to fight Shachi in the lowest part of the prison, and Juzo faces off against the twins. Kaneki is beaten to a pulp by Shachi, and now he goes on saying why he joined Aogiri.

So pretty much, Kaneki is like Sasuke in that his main objective is to get stronger. But here, he joins them so that one day he is strong enough to protect everybody and beating up Shachi is part of the process. That sets the stage for a lot of tension to go down considering the title of the next episode where there's a rift, presumably implying Kaneki and Aogiri. That was some nicely done action and it's great to see Amon getting some development.
                        Last edited by Buckeye; 01-29-2015, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Oh hey, I hadn't heard until last night that this season doesn't actually follow the manga. I've heard great things about the manga, so it's very disappointing that it won't be adapted into anime form anymore. I guess that avoids the perhaps likely chance of not finding a good stopping point at the end of this cour and not getting another one, though. I assume the difference is that they actually rescue Kaneki as would've been expected and he doesn't pull this bullshit? With his attempt at justification at the end of this episode, I can't imagine there will ever be any explanation that actually validates his choices.

Well hopefully it goes well enough in its own way. I guess it's still written by the mangaka, so I suppose there's a chance.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

So these anti-ghoul people imprison ghouls too for research purposes. They're stupid. They should have stronger defenses at least. The better option would be to almost completely seal the place letting no one in especially because Aogiri is in full swing recently and is in ghoul freeing mode.

So Kaneki gets beaten up by some shirtless ghoul who mistakes him for Rize. Why did they start fighting? I don't think it was part of the plan, because they came to free him only. Shouldn't Kaneki have tried to stop him?

The best character has got to be that stitches guy lol. That guy's a wacko.

Those twins are somewhat intriguing. They've got one ghoul eye and are, like, linked to each other? Are they half ghoul too? Or is there some other reason for one ghoul eye? They've got some history with crazy stitches at least.

Looks like Kaneki is evolving into a centipede ghoul. He seemed cool before. Now his coolness is dropping a bit because of the "I want to protect" thing. He just doesn't feel cool now.

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                              Oh hey, I hadn't heard until last night that this season doesn't actually follow the manga. I've heard great things about the manga, so it's very disappointing that it won't be adapted into anime form anymore.
                              Oh, I wasn't aware of that either. I assumed the plot was following the manga. I guess I'll have to read the manga at some point to see what's different.
                              Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                              I assume the difference is that they actually rescue Kaneki as would've been expected and he doesn't pull this bullshit? With his attempt at justification at the end of this episode, I can't imagine there will ever be any explanation that actually validates his choices.
                              I agree there has been a bit of a logic jump with Kaneki totally fine with murdering dozens of innocent people all of the sudden. I'm mostly confused what his reasoning could be as it's hard to excuse his actions. I know he is supposed to have some sort of grand plan, but releasing a bunch of super dangerous (and in many cases deranged) ghouls from prison does not seem like a very good way to protect anyone.
                              Avatar: Pariya from Otoyomegatari.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X