Widgets Magazine

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (2014 TV Series) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2014] Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (2014 TV Series) Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    フェイト/ステイナイト

A retelling of the sequel to Fate/Zero following a different route in the visual novel that will lead to an extremely different outcome than the one that was told in the original TV series.

Airs: Saturday, October 4

Studio: Ufotable

ANN Entry

My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Fandom Post News & Reviews

Shirou Emiya finds himself an unwilling participant in a deadly competition where seven Mages summon heroic spirits as servants to duel each other to the death. They compete for the chance to make a wish from the Holy Grail, which has the power to grant any wish. Shiro is unskilled as a mage and knows nothing of the Holy Grail War, but he and his servant, Saber, enters into a temporary partnership with another Mage, Rin Tohsaka. However, problems arise between Shirou and Rin's servant, Archer, who seems to seriously despise him.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by bctaris; 10-12-2014, 05:53 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Galaxy Angel, Inou Battle
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Re: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (2014 TV Series) Discussion Thread

Photo of the letter sized print given at the event

Posting from my old roommate's place; gotta drive five hours back home, but wanted to jot some initial thoughts down.

The first episode was simply amazing: animation, pacing, music. It's a complete and total package. Everything was lifted directly from the visual novel's prologue. Certainly a lot better than the somewhat laborious first episode of F/Z. And the fight that happens here blows away every fight in F/Z out of the water. You can tell ufotable had a huge budget, and they pulled out all the stops.
    Last edited by thedigitalsin; 09-28-2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Could you please remove the image embedded in your post and replace it with a link to the image? Embedded images are not allowed in this forum.

A gentle reminder please to all posters: Embedded images are NOT ALLOWED in any forum but Cover Art. If not removed, the Moderation Staff will remove any embedded images from posts.
      Last edited by Hitsugi Amachi; 09-28-2014, 07:00 PM.
      Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
      Scratchy for Tama is angry.
      Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Episode 0

He's no Saber, but he can use swords. Two of them.

Rin's background is explained here, and all of this takes place before the first episode of the original series where Shirou is wounded by Lancer for being an outside witness to the Holy Grail Wars. That was some nice story there seeing how Rin was so disappointed to receive Archer as her servant rather than Saber that she even went as far as to burn a command seal out of frustration. Anyway, this show is off to a great start seeing how great Rin is.
        MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
        Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Galaxy Angel, Inou Battle
        Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 0

A lot of exposition, one very intense fight, one seemingly on the verge of death Shirou Emiya. Yeah, this is Fate alright.

It was nice, however, to get things from a slightly different perspective, with the focus being on Rin Tohsaka throughout this prologue episode. I've seen all of this before for the most part, since nothing presented here so far diverges from the main "Fate" route that Fate/Stay night largely adheres to. And next episode will again be familiar material, though that's fine.

The pacing for the most part was fairly good. The problem with F/SN at times was its talky-boringness. Sure, there was quite a bit of talk here, but we did have things move forward at a decent clip. So, now there's the wait for a few very iconic scenes next week.

Comment

If Episode 0 is any indication of where Unlimited Blade Works will go...There is going to be one heck of a trip.

First, I like the appearance of Matsuzuri (Who managed to have more dialogue in the first few minutes of Episode 00 than she had in the entirety of the Studio DEEN F/SN series.), as well as the three members of the track and field team. They are not significant to the plot, but add to the background color.

Second, this was Rin's background and setup episode, and it was glorious. The way she hit it off with Archer - including the use of a Command Seal to send her Servant a message, as well as her first assignment for Archer to clean up the sitting room (And his reply.) - remind me again why her character was so enjoyable and great. Given how Rin-centric UBW is, the episode was absolutely essential, and I am surprised that this was not the 'official' episode 1. Of course, considering how easily she can steal any scene she is in...

The battle between Archer and Lancer was easily the best fight scene animated in the F/SN-verse. The way Saber makes her appearance into the story was excellently done. I also like how the humor is slipped into the story, low-keyed but effective.

I do not like how the episode seem to rewrite the background of the jeweled pendant Rin uses to save Shirou's life. Also, despite Episode 0 being about Rin and Archer, Archer's presence seems felt more 'dropped-in' and less organically part of the story.

All in all, Episode 0 was great. If UBW continues like this, I can not wait for the dubbed release (And they better not screw with cast continuity too much either.).

C.T.
            You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
              The problem with F/SN at times was its talky-boringness. Sure, there was quite a bit of talk here, but we did have things move forward at a decent clip.
              I think part of the reason for that is because in the original, we have Shirou - a rather generic guy talking rather generic things, and Saber - who despite being cool, isn't the best conversationalist. Rin and Archer on the other hand have a wonderful dynamic going, and always have, and this week's episode really showcased that to it's fullest. Part of me wished we had an entire series retold from Rin's POV, but I know that's a fool's hope.
              Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
              Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jun Kuga View Post
                Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                The problem with F/SN at times was its talky-boringness. Sure, there was quite a bit of talk here, but we did have things move forward at a decent clip.
                I think part of the reason for that is because in the original, we have Shirou - a rather generic guy talking rather generic things, and Saber - who despite being cool, isn't the best conversationalist. Rin and Archer on the other hand have a wonderful dynamic going, and always have, and this week's episode really showcased that to it's fullest. Part of me wished we had an entire series retold from Rin's POV, but I know that's a fool's hope.
                Good point. Which is why I hope they keep to the action next week

Comment

So I've seen all the Fate anime legally available in the US and know a bit more about the franchise than that, but there will definitely be plenty of new things with every episode.

Interesting to see a "prologue" all about Rin, doing well to show us that this is certainly the Unlimited Blade Works route. I assume the actual "episode 1" will in fact be mostly the same time frame, but from Shirou's perspective. That's also going to be double-length, right? It's nice enough to get to follow up Fate/Zero with another double-length premiere, but two makes it even better. I do love how Shirou is depicted as such a non-character for the whole episode; not only is his significance very thoroughly obscured (not that anyone doesn't know who the protagonist of the series is), but they even make sure not to show his face. I imagine the Shirou side of the episode will show as much of Rin as is appropriate, though.

I don't love the atmosphere thus far like I do for Fate/Zero's, but it has time, and while I know that the subjects of Fate/stay night means inherently more of the lighthearted silliness, at least coming at it from the perspective of the rest of the series will give me a better impression of what to expect. I understand that a great deal of his development in the visual novel comes from his inner monologues, so I wonder how that will be applied to this medium.

I was surprised to hear a new arrangement of one of the prominent tracks from Fate/Zero in this episode. Was that song originally from the visual novel? Very happy to hear it at any rate, and while I miss Kajiura's music dearly, I can't complain just yet. The fight scene sounded good enough, in addition to obviously having incredibly gorgeous animation.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

So, having watched the broadcast version just now, I can confirm that they left out a scene from the world premiere, which means they're going the Fate/Zero route and will add in/reinsert additional scenes for the home video release.

Spoiler ->Rin and an invisible Archer visits a park in Shinto, the stage where the final events of Fate/Zero took place. It's more infodumping, with Archer and Rin talking about how the site seems to harbor some ill intent, and a bit about mages before feeling as though they are being watched.

Comment

Originally posted by thedigitalsin View Post
                      So, having watched the broadcast version just now, I can confirm that they left out a scene from the world premiere, which means they're going the Fate/Zero route and will add in/reinsert additional scenes for the home video release.

Spoiler ->Rin and an invisible Archer visits a park in Shinto, the stage where the final events of Fate/Zero took place. It's more infodumping, with Archer and Rin talking about how the site seems to harbor some ill intent, and a bit about mages before feeling as though they are being watched.

I was about to say that this would have been a word for word adaption had that scene made it in. Glad to know it exists.
                      Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

For not having the highest expectations of this show based on the first anime (though knowledge of what happened there did help here), this prologue episode was really good. Granted, having minimal Shirou helped, as did being a double-length episode, even if it did drag at times.

The highlight, of course, was Rin, and seeing how she interacts with Archer. For all of you that voted for Rin as the "most balanced tsundere", this episode made a really strong case for that. And considering how this anime rendition will be focused on her, that is a very good thing.

So for now, I'm definitely looking forward to more.
                        Still alive and lurking.

Avatar: Arisu from The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls, representing my state after each workday.

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                          I was surprised to hear a new arrangement of one of the prominent tracks from Fate/Zero in this episode. Was that song originally from the visual novel? Very happy to hear it at any rate...
                          What track would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by doubleO7 View Post
                            Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                            I was surprised to hear a new arrangement of one of the prominent tracks from Fate/Zero in this episode. Was that song originally from the visual novel? Very happy to hear it at any rate...
                            What track would that be?
                            Point Zero; it plays

Spoiler ->in the scene where Rin and Archer are in Tokiomi's room, after Rin used her command seal.

And no, it's not in the VN. However, the first few notes of a certain track from the VN are teased when Archer shows up for the first time.

I do appreciate Hideyuki Fukasawa incorporating some of Yuki Kajiura's tracks. It bridges the two shows even more.
                            Last edited by thedigitalsin; 10-06-2014, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Has the facial animation regressed somewhat? I don't remember them being so "pinched" in Fate/Zero.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X