X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2014] Barakamon Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ばらかもん

A show about a calligrapher who moves to a remote island.

Airs: Saturday, July 5

Studio: Kinema Citrus

ANN Entry

Official Site
    Funimation (... N. America)
    Crunchyroll (8 AM UTC for EU excl. UK/Ire; Middle East; North Africa)

Fandom Post Articles

The story follows Seishū Handa, a calligrapher who moves to the remote Gotō Islands off the western coast of Kyushu, and his various interactions with the people of the island.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by bctaris; 07-06-2014, 03:09 PM. Reason: links/times
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

One thing for sure, Naru is love. Cute, loveable, and crazy as hell.
    Last edited by Library-chan; 07-06-2014, 10:35 PM.
    Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

You don't get a pass for punching an old man who needs a cane in the face, even if he's kind of a jerk. So its off to a tropical island for our calligrapher protagonist where his new home has already been claimed by a little girl who reminds me a lot of Yotsuba.

Well, that was fun. Naru made me laugh a lot and all the islanders were amusing. Looks like this will probably be a keeper.
      Avatar: Pariya from Otoyomegatari.

Comment

Naru being a wonderful ball of energy was certainly nice, but I think the defining moment came at the end with that sense of community there. Really quite nice. Hina's introduction was really amusing too. Loved how Naru squished cheeks with her, and Handa not knowing what to make of all her reactions to him (Naru's there to interpret, which just shows how close they seem to be. Sweet.)

Comment

Episode 2

Hah, the pair of middle school girls are a riot. Of course, they have to be... got to have more things to distract Handa from his work. Amusing how he rightfully suspects where Naru has been picking up words she shouldn't be using.

The hospital antics were the best particularly, though. Handa should be there recuperating, but it doesn't seem like he's getting much of it between Naru, the middle schoolers, and even the nurse. So that explains the end of previous episode... Handa seems to go really crazy every time he's struck by inspiration. Well, it's neat again to seeing how much the girls and Hiroshi's family have already come to care about him, each in their own quirky way.

Comment

Episode 3

Philosophical man-face Naru really was something else. So this is what happens when she's proud of what she learned. Heh, well, I saw the punchline about that being a kanji coming: had me laughing out loud when her face immediately changed.

Interesting how the language barrier issue this time was between the islanders themselves, and Handa the outsider actually got to help out.

It was fun getting some focus on Tama this time. I was wondering if she was a fujoshi, but then her reaction previous episode to the sorta-shipping moment we got between Handa and Hiroshi struck me as a little odd (she didn't seem pleased and so it wasn't the usual fujoshi stereotype, but there was definitely an intensity about it that had me curious). Now it's rather clear. She's got all kinds of crazy scary niche tastes with her manga interests, but actually resents the possibility that people may lump her in with the fujoshi (so I'm guilty there. Hah...). Despite that, it seems she may have some interest in those things after all and her inner conflict over it drives her off the wall. Haha... really quite a uniquely interesting twist of the geeky girl stereotype here.

Handa acts rather pathetically to losing to a younger calligrapher, but then we got that community bonding again helping him to realize what's important.
            Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 07-21-2014, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
              Philosophical man-face Naru really was something else. So this is what happens when she's proud of what she learned. Heh, well, I saw the punchline about that being a kanji coming: had me laughing out loud when her face immediately changed.
              Mandom.

Yeah, the punchline was easy to predict, but Man Naru was hilarious.
              Avatar: Pariya from Otoyomegatari.

Comment

The writing is on the wall.

Handa is so PO'd at the curator criticizing his calligraphy that he punches him, and now he ventures off to the Goto Islands where his new home is invaded by Naru, who is pretty good at calligraphy herself. She keeps on being an annoyance, but eventually the two get along. And the rest of the village welcomes him.

That's a great way to start off this show, and Naru's antics are just amusing. But most importantly, the style of life is a sharp contrast to the life he had been living in Tokyo, which totally describes Handa. His work had been so unoriginal as he had been trying to follow others, but now he is developing a new style with a more relaxed lifestyle in the islands.
                Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
                Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
                The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Calligraphy is definitely a subject I haven't seen explored much, but it's nice to have something fresh like that (in fitting with the theme of the show), and any creative pursuit would work just as well for the purposes of the story. Naru is loads of fun (definitely reminded me of Yotsuba as well, which is always a good thing), and the countryside life works for me even if I've been fed up with it in my real life.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I'm liking the theme of talent and effort that's especially prominent when Hiroshi is involved. Of course the bulk of the show is comedy and it's quite excellent at making that work, but there are some nuggets of wisdom not too far beneath the surface that are valuable even if by no means unexplored.

The village is full of seemingly nothing but quirky, unique characters, but Handa actually fits into that pattern well, considering the state he finds himself in when passion takes over. Fun all around.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I would've said "akero" too, Naru. That scene was incredibly hilarious.

I wasn't sure exactly what the story with Tama would be, but it's far better than I could've hoped for. I love her horribly brutal kinda Death Note manga. And of course she's got plenty of Gangan Comics manga to lend out.

I wonder if we'll meet more people from the calligraphy world. That 18-year-old made me think it could be something like Bakuman in some small part.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 2

He's got writer's block.

More characters come into Handa's life as two girls who used the place as a secret base drop by, as well as the village leader's son Hiroshi with some food. Handa had been writing nonstop for the past week and after some craziness by the girls, he gets a fever and is sent to the hospital. He's itching to get back to calligraphy, and even acts threatening towards the nurse. His fever goes down, and that old man he saw wasn't actually there.

That was really funny how everything went down. The village is sure full of weirdos, and being someone who is more strict and uptight than relaxed and loose, it's easy to see why he didn't exactly handle things well.

Comment

I had three favorite (new) shows of the season before FUNi started streaming this. I now have four.

I was curious if the actress who plays Naru, newcomer Suzuko Hara, is a child actor, and after an IMDb search, I found this Lexus short film, A Better Tomorrow (Suzuko plays Myra, the younger sister in the film).
                          Last edited by EyeOfPain; 07-23-2014, 07:24 AM.
                          My animé & figure collections
                          Hummingbird
                          || Tweeterings
                          XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

It's not good to only look up.

Handa goes out to buy ink, but comes away emptyhanded as he lets Tama buy the last bottle for her manga project, a horror story called Keth Note, and she wants Handa to read her manuscript. Handa submitted his best work, good enough for second place, but Handa is not too pleased. Then a bunch of mochi is thrown overboard, and Handa comes up empty thanks to Panchi getting in his way.

This show continues to be great as the antics of these villagers are just funny, while Handa is going through a living experience like no other. Here, he was totally embarrassed fussing over losing to a total rookie, and then getting shut out in the mochi giveaway. He probably would have got some he stopped talking and started to gather the ones on the ground, but it just goes to show that he's still trying to find his way. This episode had FMA and Soul Eater manga books, as well as a Overtime Work Lovers, a non-existent yaoi manga.

Comment

Ah, I can finally talk about this show. It's an amazing show so far, with some hilarious moments but also some rather poignant moments as Seishuu learns to get along with the other people of the island.

Naru, of course, is the real star here. She's a lot of fun and absolutely adorable, of course, but her innocence also allows her to be the perfect foil to Seishuu, helping him in surprising ways.

This show shares one of its strengths with The Pet Girl of Sakurasou, in that it is also about the struggles and trials one comes across in trying to create something, in this case calligraphy. It's something I can easily empathize with, and helps make the show that much more compelling.

So all in all, it's a top-notch show, and easily one of the best this season.
                              Still alive and lurking.

Avatar: Arisu from The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls, representing my state after each workday.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X