X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2014] Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei! Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    Fate/kaleid liner プリズマ☆イリヤ 2wei!

Fresh off conquering the servants who had been causing havoc, Illya is back to use her magical girl expertise to squash a new threat.

Airs: Wednesday, July 9 | 2:15 PM EDT on Crunchyroll

Studio: Silver Link

ANN Entry

Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Season 1 Discussion Thread

Fandom Post Articles and Reviews

About a month after the events of the first season, a new mission to normalize the Earth's pulsations comes up. However, when Illlya tries to subdue the pulsations...

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by bctaris; 07-10-2014, 01:10 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

She's seeing double, just not in the same light.

Summer is coming up, and Illya and friends are going to the beach. But it's no time for a vacation as there's a problem only Illya and Miyu can do. Seems like a simple job, but in comes Kuro, a dark-skinned doppelganger of Illya.

It's still the same silly and generic magical girl show that I remember it being with familiar characters, and now things could really get out of hand with the appearance of Kuro. In another season, this show would probably be included in my watch list at this point, but as things stand with the season being so loaded that something has to give. Anyway, I'll stick with this show a bit longer at least to see what Kuro brings.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 07-09-2014, 05:29 PM.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I wasn't wowed by that. I wanted to be, but wasn't. I liked, on balance, the first series though I thought it had some issues. They haven't really fixed one of the problems, which was an inability to transition smoothly from the comedic bits to the heavier dramatic action. This episode encapsulated that problem: the first half was light and silly and then BOOM! we were rushed off into a tidal wave of exposition and ominous seriousness. I don't have a problem with a slow start, but this felt like they wanted to ease us gently in and then suddenly remembered "Hey, we only have 10 episodes for this, right?" (I have not checked the actual episode count, but as the first series only had 10, it's not unrealistic to expect the same number here). So, off to the races cramming in exposition and action.

It could still be good. Or it could just be a mess that appeals only to TypeMoon fanboys.
      Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
      Scratchy for Tama is angry.
      Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

This show wasted little time going back to the yuri fanservice.

Anyway, no problems here. It's still the same mahou shoujo show that pokes fun at the genre while still being true to it--the transformation scene with Rin and Luvia arguing while it was going on was definitely my favorite part.

The Archer-like second Illya should make things interesting going forward.
        Still alive and lurking.

Avatar: Arisu from The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls, representing my state after each workday.

Comment

Originally posted by stardf29 View Post
          It's still the same mahou shoujo show that pokes fun at the genre while still being true to it--the transformation scene with Rin and Luvia arguing while it was going on was definitely my favorite part.
          Yeah, that was the scene that stood out most to me. Definitely poking fun at genre conventions on transformation length.

That, and for whatever reason, it feels like Illya's gang of friends are a bit more fun this episode. Well, the first season went straight to the magical escapades and drama with Miyu, so there wasn't much time for them. But with things relatively quiet and peaceful at the start, there was a bit more time for their quirks to show through, even Miyu's own brand of subdued yuri-ness. Back to serious magical stuff (beginning with incomprehensible magic-babble from Lord Waver) in the later part of the episode, though at least I'm curious what role the new dark clone of Illya will play in the show.

Comment

Why do I watch this show again? I guess I'm just a slave to the franchise. I am liking this season more than the first so far, though, so hopefully it can convince me that it's worth sticking through another full season in the next few episodes.

I find it hilarious that the most moe character in a show with a little mini Rin running around and saving the day for an episode is the one big hard-ass in this show. What happened to our sweet little Waver-kun? I want a spinoff about that.

Two Illyas? This must be Miyu's dream come true. Depending on just how dangerous this second one is.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
              Why do I watch this show again? I guess I'm just a slave to the franchise.
              I'm just as guilty Still, it's a fun watch. Illya's 'duality' makes me think of Misao's from MGPS, oddly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                Why do I watch this show again? I guess I'm just a slave to the franchise.
                I'm just as guilty Still, it's a fun watch. Illya's 'duality' makes me think of Misao's from MGPS, oddly enough.
                Honestly, I think I'm just a tsundere towards this show. I actually kinda love it in a very different way from the rest of its franchise. I don't know how I stuck with it after some of the first season's earlier episodes, but this season is off to a pretty strong start for what it is. Enough to convince me to pull the trigger and order the Blu-ray for the first season, in fact.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

A funny thing happened on the way to school.

It all starts with an extremely ominous fortune told on TV and Illya runs into a string of accidents on her way to school. That was all the doing of Illya's double Kuro as she's the reason why Illya is weak, and then she yuriizes Miyu by force. So the four have a strategy meeting, and the counterattack involves using Illya as bait. Kuro proved to be too powerful, but she fell into the bottomless bog trap.

The silliness continues in this episode and it's fun stuff for the most part. Kuro is really a handful there knowing exactly how to battle a magical girl. Anyway, given that a couple of other shows that I was really looking forward to this season have been disappointments up to this point that there just might be a spot to squeeze this show in as this show is fighting for one of the last spots on my slate, and so far it's making a pretty good case for inclusion.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

This episode was better. Better transitions from silly to serious.
                    Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                    Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                    Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Clearly, Kuro Illya represents Illya's yuri desires, and she wants normal Illya dead because she hates how normal Illya still has feelings for Shirou.

Fun episode again.
                      Still alive and lurking.

Avatar: Arisu from The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls, representing my state after each workday.

Comment

Wow, when I said Miyu would be happy to have another Illya around, I didn't expect to be this right. Okay, so she still knows that Kuro needs to be stopped enough to participate in fighting and then trapping her, but she's pretty okay with what happened otherwise.

I'm curious to learn more about Kuro, but for now she's quite the badass. If this episode is any indication, she should be a fun one.

And we finally get to see Kiritsugu in the show. I assumed it wouldn't turn out that he was dead in this world, but I've been hoping to actually see him as well. Hope he gets a good part in the show.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Well, that's a convenient way to keep the dark Illya from killing regular Illya. Even more convenient that it only goes one way. It was amusing seeing how Rin showed that. And Illya first starts to make use of it by hurting herself when Kuro attempts to seduce Shirou. Not just Shirou, though: Kuro goes on a serial kissing spree when she goes to school the next day. Not even Taiga-sensei is spared. :D "Replenishing mana" is the excuse for yuri fanservice in this case... Some amusing moments as a few secrets get out to her friends, but it looks like Kuro gets to settling it with a story about being cousins, and of course there's always the "cosplay" explanation to go on for Illya's magical girl outfit (geeky Suzuka is happy about that. Also amusingly reminds me of Rokujyouma, where the situation with the cosplay misconception is so different ).

Comment

Re: Episode 3

My pain is your pain, but your pain is not my pain.

Now that Kuro has been contained, a spell has been placed on her so that any pain Illya feels, she feels it too. Kuro gets too close to Shirou, and Illya slaps herself to get her away. At school, Kuro is kissing every girl at school to replenish her magical power, and Illya feels the heat for that, and then Kuro lets everybody know she's her cousin all while Illya lets herself out as a cosplay freak.

That was pretty funny there seeing Kuro rendered helpless like that, and then going on a yuriization rampage. Now that Kuro is now a part of Illya's everyday life that it's going to be really fun to see these "cousins" get along, or maybe not.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

I forgot how genre-savvy most of the cast of this show was. I'm not sure how meta it was intended to be to have "replenishing mana" as an excuse for yuri fanservice a la the original Fate/stay night's "replenishing mana" as an excuse for H scenes, but I'll choose to believe it was fully thought-out.

Speaking of Fate/stay night, we get probably more Shirou than ever before. I wonder if there's actually something to the reactions of the other girls to him, or if that's another joke about his harem powers carrying over even into this moe yuri universe in which he's not even a major character. I could see some residual effects across universes for Rin, at least.

And it's always good to see Rin still be a pretty badass mage.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...