X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2014] Akame ga Kill! Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    アカメが斬る!

A show about cute girls hacking and slashing each other to pieces in a dark, corrupt world. Not at all related to Kill la Kill.

Airs: Sunday, July 6 | 12 PM EDT on Crunchyroll

Studio: White Fox

ANN Entry

Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Fandom Post News & Reviews

In a fantasy world, fighter Tatsumi sets out for the Capitol to earn money for his starving village, and finds a world of unimaginable corruption, all spreading from the depraved Prime Minister who controls the child Emperor's ear. After nearly becoming a victim of this corruption himself, Tatsumi is recruited by Night Raid, a group of assassins dedicated to eliminating the corruption plaguing the Capitol by mercilessly killing those responsible.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by bctaris; 07-09-2014, 04:46 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Galaxy Angel, Inou Battle
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

What a cruel world they live in.

Tatsumi is living in a corrupt world and vows to do whatever it takes to end corruption, but he can't exactly do that if he can't even apply to get into the military. In comes a busty gal who robs him of his money, and an ojou-sama Aria to save the day. And then the mansion, is under attack by Night Raid where Akame was about to kill Aria with Tatsumi defending. But the truth gets exposed and it turns out that Aria is a sadist, and Tatsumi kills her instead and joins Night Raid.

That's a very nice way to start this show. Coming into this show I was expecting it to be dark and it ended up being surprisingly funny. But still that took a backseat to the problem at hand. This episode sets up Tatsumi as being a naive freedom fighter in a world where trusting the wrong person means death. Well, joining Night Raid should change that. This show is definitely a keeper for me this season.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Shouldnt the first post plot description be edited, it kind of spoils the first episode...

---

OP is pretty boring songwise and visually, while the ED is fairly forgettable.

Tatsumi is a great lead, Rabac perfect voice and scenes carrying the episode well.

Kind of a boring first episode not really doing anything and a predictable plot though did tear up when the shed was opened and it was shown to be Ieyasu in there
      Last edited by 27CansOfTuna; 07-06-2014, 03:54 PM.
      AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post
        Shouldnt the first post plot description be edited, it kind of spoils the first episode...
        Whoops! Yeah, I just took it from Wikipedia without really thinking. ANN didn't have a description when I created this thread, so I went to Wikipedia to get it. I replaced it with the description from MAL instead. Thanks for pointing that out and I apologize for that screw-up.

Comment

Well, I figured the rich girl's life of excess would have dark underpinnings to it, given what we had already heard about the capital overtaxing the countryside and whatnot, but holy crap, what a shock. Didn't expect she was so complicit in heinous things that they would completely suck away any feelings of sympathy for her by the end, but they sure did (and pretty mom getting killed so abruptly didn't seem so bad anymore, either...) We've barely got to see Tatsumi with the band of assassins, and they're already providing a rather amusing group dynamic with him being whisked away at the end. Got me pretty interested so far.

Comment

I'm not yet completely sold on this one, but it had its moments. The surprise reveal about the "nice" rich family was well-played. While certainly it could be expected that something was off about this family, especially after what the guard said to Tatsumi during the shopping trip, the depth of their depravity was unexpectedly grim. This was sympathy whiplash, but done really quite well. From "how could you kill the nice mother in cold blood so easily?" to "wow, how could no one have murdered this family of psychopaths earlier?"

It also helped when there were unexpected bursts of humor, the biggest laugh coming near the end there when the armored guy picked up Tatsumi and told him everything would be alright…accompanied by bishie sparkles. That was hilarious and necessary after all of that killing.

I'll keep my eye on this one for the moment.
            Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
            Scratchy for Tama is angry.
            Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
              It also helped when there were unexpected bursts of humor, the biggest laugh coming near the end there when the armored guy picked up Tatsumi and told him everything would be alright…accompanied by bishie sparkles. That was hilarious and necessary after all of that killing.
              Yeah, I loved that scene too, and one of the things that most prompted my interest in the group dynamic developing.

Comment

Well episode 1 met my expectations pretty well as a manga reader and they nicely covered the material from chapter 1 pretty well here though the direction was spotty during that rant scene (might have been a budget issue though). There was a bit of a rough contrast between some of the humor and the darker moments but that gets balanced later on so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Soundtrack hasn't stood out much yet for something done by Taku Iwasaki but I imagine that'll ramp up eventually and the OP and ED songs are both pretty great.

This was pretty much my most anticipated show of the season so I'm glad to be pleased. Can't wait to get more of it
                "All's the world has anger issues" - Alphanega

My Anime Planet List

Comment

I hadn't checked on who was doing the music before I started watching, so all throughout the episode I was thinking, "Wow, this sounds so much like Iwasaki, but he can't be doing another show this season, can he?" But sure enough, it couldn't have been anyone else. I guess it makes sense, since he probably doesn't have much to add to the second cour of a show that doesn't have any kind of big change after its first.

Anyway, other than obviously loving the music, I was happy with the episode overall. It looks nice and matches the tonal changes well. Those changes were well executed and powerful, and it makes me very interested in seeing more of this world and how these characters progress in it. The dynamic is definitely very fun to watch already, and it seems likely that they all have a lot going on beneath the surface. Definitely looking promising.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Wow, I don't know. Not at all the prudish type, and normally entertained by it, but the graphic violence for its own sake here is off-putting. Comes across, to me, as a less-than-honest justification to have a story about cool, flashy, gratuitous violence on "normal" people (young girls, say) by making those characters, as this suggests early on, possessed by evil of some sort. Really, I prefer a "good old-fashioned ultraviolen(t)" antihero-like character, or group of characters, to either be straight up bad, or have a more honest, straightforward reason, like revenge. (It's the difference for why I love The Wild Bunch, or Kill Bill, over something like this.) Okay, well, maybe they're all meant, in the end, to be straight up good guys--but that's part of the point: good guys don't murder and maim like this. Otherwise there's just something exploitative about the violence.

The humor, oddly, doesn't hurt or help this. That's fine as it is, really. Some of the cliched characterization of Night Raid members--ultraviolent cute young girls!--just makes the underlying fault of the show seem worse, however.

Suppose I'll try another, see if my fears are warranted. Not too excited, though.
                    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                    TFP Forum Rules

Comment

One of these days they'll save us time with these uber perfect assassin scenes & just have the assassin blink & everyone he or she wants to die drop dead instantly with enough blood spilling out to please gore fans.

Ugh, this had to be one of the most forced "We're not evil, they're actually evil" scenes I've seen in an anime in awhile. It's just way too contrived & mainly exists to justify the killing. Not that I'm against the death of evil for the sake of being evil characters, but they tried too hard in this case.

I'm sorry, but this is just horrible. I don't like the male lead. The female lead is kind of boring right now. Or at least the title character if she's not really the female lead. Plus, I've heard it gets worse. Yeah, I'm not the target audience for this.

Comment

Episode 2

Welcome to Night Raid.

Tatsumi has been recruited by Night Raid and his first order of business is to catch fish under Akame's tutelage. An urgent mission came up, and Tatsumi is the only person who can slay a strongman without suspicion. He almost was caught off guard after that quick strike, but he responded in time and slayed him for good. Akame is impressed that he pulled off his first mission without a scratch, and now he will train with Mine.

This episode does a fine job in introducing the characters of Night Raid, although the focus is primarily on Akame and Leone. It's a straightforward story where their job is to fight corruption in the capital. Tatsumi may look and act naive, but he has shown just how skilled a fighter he is. Next time, Mine will get a lot of attention.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I have to wonder if they will get to killing the corrupt prime minister, and find afterwards that it's not as easy to fix things by just killing one person. Of course, maybe it's more likely he'll be there to remain the big bad for quite some time.

We get to see all the various members' eccentricities as Tatsumi goes around meeting them, kind of as expected. His interactions with Bulat continues to be particularly amusing. And it looks like he's getting the cooking duties foisted on him. That reminds me of Zvezda.

Well, after Tatsumi completed his mission, I do like that we get to see another side of Akame. I'm guessing we may be going through the rest of the members one-at-a-time starting with Mine, but whether the approach will be formulaic (with Tatsumi teaming up with a different person each episode) or not, I'm curious to get to know them.
                          Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 07-13-2014, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Okay, so Butal is fun and all, but the whole "Oh, he's gay so he has to want Tatsumi's ass" gag, especially the notion that he should be denying the "accusation" of homosexuality, is something I sure as hell hope doesn't come to define his entire comedic side (fortunately, it appears that each character has a good balance of the serious and the comedic).

Otherwise, another strong episode. Nothing too special, just a meeting of the crew and especially of Akame, letting us learn a bit more about her and having her train Tatsumi to become a formidable fighter and an excellent housewife at the same time. Given the brief mention of what she's gone through to arrive at her current mentality, I can see how she has her own prequel spinoff. I wonder if they'll try to work some of that into her backstory for the adaptation; I guess the original manga must tell enough about her past, and this series probably doesn't have the time to venture outside of that.

Speaking of which, I do hope this episode-per-member exploration of Night Raid progresses the plot forward beyond just introducing each character in more detail than before, sharing some background, and establishing a relationship with Tatsumi, leading to another confrontation that ultimately doesn't amount to much. That's all plenty valuable, but with the manga ongoing for over four years and counting, I imagine there's much more story to tell and this adaptation will probably do best to get to before too long.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                              I have to wonder if they will get to killing the corrupt prime minister, and find afterwards that it's not as easy to fix things by just killing one person. Of course, maybe it's more likely he'll be there to remain the big bad for quite some time.
                              As GingaDaiuchuu says, it's an ongoing manga, so we'll probably finish up the season with a protracted arc against one of the PM's minor minions.
                              Well, after Tatsumi completed his mission, I do like that we get to see another side of Akame. I'm guessing we may be going through the rest of the members one-at-a-time starting with Mine, but whether the approach will be formulaic (with Tatsumi teaming up with a different person each episode) or not, I'm curious to get to know them.
                              With these kinds of shows, it seems like we usually see the main character paired off with only a couple of the core cast, leaving the others to fall into a more of a side character role, which is what I'm expecting after we see Tatsumi's mission with Mine.
                              My animé & figure collections
                              Hummingbird
                              || Tweeterings
                              XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine