Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2011] Usagi Drop (Bunny Drop) Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    Rin demands a thread be made for this series as her show will be airing very soon. We best not make her angry.

Crunchyroll Stream

ANN Entry

Official Site

Note
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Post Reply" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Quote" to the post you want to reply to.

Episode 1

Awesome, as expected from the manga. Rin is adorable. If they keep this pace up I don't think they'll get through too many volumes, though. Maybe a possible s2 down the line?

Of course, the first episode is most important, so they could speed things along now that the leads have met and are living together.
    Sketch the rainbow!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Originally posted by Konoha View Post
      Of course, the first episode is most important, so they could speed things along now that the leads have met and are living together.
      Super cute episode. There have been rumors that some of the second half will be animated, but I haven't read any of the manga so I'm really glad they began at the beginning.
      My animé & figure collections
      Hummingbird
      || Tweeterings
      XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

I think I'm enjoying it a good bit so far. The one scene with Rin getting the flower and asking if the grandpa would never wake up again had me in tears... The epilogue to the first episode was so adorable. Seems like this may end up being quite the sweet series to watch.

The other little girl, Reina, seemed kind of realistic in her little kid brattiness. It was rather amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Konoha View Post
          Awesome, as expected from the manga. Rin is adorable. If they keep this pace up I don't think they'll get through too many volumes, though. Maybe a possible s2 down the line?

I agree. She conveyed so much with almost no dialog. The scene that got me was Daikichi asking Rin if she wanted to live with him, and all she did was run to him. Got me right thru the heart. Still does when I think about it.

Comment

I've been meaning to start the manga for a long time. It was one of those series that sat on the store shelf asking to be picked up, but for the longest time I just walked by. I bought the first few volumes in anticipation of the series, and I wasn't let down in both the animation and the manga itself. Rin is adorable, and Daikichi is a top lead guy too.
            Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
            Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

The OP and ED music is very... late-Sixties/early-Seventies pop. The backgrounds are occasionally very watercolor-sketchy, not at all what I was expecting given the manga style, which isn't at all "artsy" in that sense. Otherwise, a pretty straight adaptation of the first chapter of the source comic. Given the manga, they couldn't have gone far wrong, and they generally haven't so far.

People compare this with Aishiteruze Baby, but I figure that's unfair - Usagi Drop is a much better story, told very well. It helps that they didn't need to shoehorn teenagers into the narrative to fit in an age-appropriate viewpoint characters, I suppose. But Aishiteruze Baby was a bargain-basement shoujo anime, produced on a shoestring. You can see the big Production IG bucks behind Usagi Drop.

Comment

This was one of the series I've been most looking forward to this season and I'm quite happy with how this first episode turned out. The scenes with Daikichi slowly building trust with Rin were nicely handled and though she didn't have many lines, the little girl voicing Rin did a pretty good job so far. I'm happy it looks like it will live up to expectations.
                Last edited by Sly05; 07-08-2011, 03:07 PM.
                Avatar: Pariya from Otoyomegatari.

Comment

Oh man Rin's adorable. Reina needs to get smacked across the room though.

Daikichi's a pretty good lead, at least so far. He's less annoying than his relatives, thats for sure.

This looks like it will be filled with heartwarming and DAAAAAAAWWWW
                  VIVIDBLUE OPERATION!
                  Vivid Impact!
                  Vividred Operation

Comment

Oh geez, talk about an awkward situation.

Rin is absolutely adorable, and does a really good job of putting up with such a crummy situation. Everybody there clearly isn't happy about her existence and especially her presence and they aren't exactly subtle on it. She knows she's not wanted and everyone basically ignores her. And then she has to deal with the brat Reina on top of that.

Really cute first episode, can't wait to see one without the family being douches and Rin talking regularly.
                    So there's this thing called Twitter

Comment

Besides being a great introduction to the main characters, it was an interesting episode from a cultural standpoint of Japanese funeral/wake practices. I recommend the movie "Departures" for another view of them.

If they can keep up the quality this is going to be my must watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
                        Besides being a great introduction to the main characters, it was an interesting episode from a cultural standpoint of Japanese funeral/wake practices.
                        Speaking of which, I'm pleased that CR included translator notes regarding the funeral rites. It shows a level of translation care I don't always associate with CR.
                        Avatar: Ahiru and Fakir of Princess Tutu | My manga list | My anime DVD list

Comment

Originally posted by Fudce View Post
                          I've been meaning to start the manga for a long time. It was one of those series that sat on the store shelf asking to be picked up, but for the longest time I just walked by. I bought the first few volumes in anticipation of the series, and I wasn't let down in both the animation and the manga itself. Rin is adorable, and Daikichi is a top lead guy too.
                          The manga is in my top 5 currently running and the anime is doing a remarkable job of keeping the sparseness. For me, the facial expressions will be key and so far they're not letting me down. My only criticism and it's minor, is the relatives came off worse in the manga with regards to Rin then in the anime and you root for Diakichi even more when he makes his decision. But I know you have to get things going early on and more dialogue will bog down a series that's not action packed to begin with. I applaud Crunchyroll for streaming this show and I eagerly anticipate Thursdays ever week .
                          Currently watching - A Certain Magical Index II
                          Finished watching - High School DXD New
                          Currently reading - Dragonar Academy, Haganai, Maria the Virgin Witch

Comment

Originally posted by chidecki View Post
                            Originally posted by Fudce View Post
                            The manga is in my top 5 currently running and the anime is doing a remarkable job of keeping the sparseness. For me, the facial expressions will be key and so far they're not letting me down. My only criticism and it's minor, is the relatives came off worse in the manga with regards to Rin then in the anime and you root for Diakichi even more when he makes his decision. But I know you have to get things going early on and more dialogue will bog down a series that's not action packed to begin with. I applaud Crunchyroll for streaming this show and I eagerly anticipate Thursdays ever week .
                            The most unforgivable thing that the relatives did was discuss the matter right in front of Rin as if she wasn't there or was just an object. Obviously, when she ran to Daikichi you could see how she felt. Cruel and unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by chidecki View Post
                              I applaud Crunchyroll for streaming this show and I eagerly anticipate Thursdays ever week .
                              Likewise I applaud Anime on Demand for the same.
                              Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
                              Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X