X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2014] Nisekoi Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ニセコイ

A show about the yakuza and a fake couple between rival gangs.

Airs: Saturday, January 11

Studio: Shaft

ANN Entry
    Official Site
    TFP Articles/Reviews
    Streaming: Crunchyroll | Hulu

As a child, Raku Ichijo made a secret promise with his childhood sweetheart, keeping a pendant as a memento while his love took the key. He dreams of one day meeting his past love, but years later, reality smashes his hopes when Chitoge Kirisaki accidentally knees him in the face. Though Raku's a normal high schooler, his family heads the notorious yakuza gang the Shuei-Gumi faction. And he's dragged into family affairs when he's forced into a relationship with Chitoge, the daughter of a rival gang's boss.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by bctaris; 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM. Reason: links
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Galaxy Angel, Inou Battle
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Re: Nisekoi Discussion Thread

Note this is one of the shows (with World Conquest: Zvesda) that Aniplex USA claims to be streaming on their site this season. Link added to root post. (EDIT: And now on CR, too.)
    Last edited by bctaris; 01-14-2014, 12:32 PM.
    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Episode 1

This is Shaft, and that means those uber-crazy visuals are back.

What's a guy to do when he gets greeted by a transfer student that just leaped over the fence and kneed him in the face and causes him to lose his precious pendant? Not to mention, that girl has such a violent temper. It's only because of the pendant that Raku and Chitoge are even talking to each other. So once she found the pendant, that's it between them, right? Not so fast, my friend, because Chitoge is part of the rival gang, and became a fake couple.

This is one of the most highly anticipated shows of the season, and so far it's holding true to form. Seeing how this show is done by Shaft that it definitely feels like Monogatari all over again. Raku sure has it tough having to go through everything his yazuka family is up to. His heart is set on Onodera, but now that he is being forced to at least act like he is in love with Chitoge that things are bound to get ugly.
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

They made it far more exciting at times then the manga even gets and their usual visual genutsus stuff being present to make some scenes really interesting (though all those sparkles and such whenever Chitoge had glamorous scenes kind of made me chuckle). Cooking master Raku part at the start was my favorite moment if we can get more of those.

Onodera, Shu, and Raku all have perfect voices. Opening scene with the locket history was my favorite sequence.
        AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Wasn't too sure what to expect with SHAFT handling the adaption but it's off to a pretty great start and it looks like it'll be pretty faithful to the manga. The typical SHAFT art direction worked a lot better for the show than I thought it would and the comedy was handled pretty well. Looks like this'll end up being one of the better shows of the season after all
          "All's the world has anger issues" - Alphanega

My Anime Planet List

Comment

Not the most over-the-top SHAFT production, but still very nice in all regards, and definitely one of the best first episodes of the season. There are of course plenty of creative visual elements that you wouldn't get from any other studio, so I definitely appreciate it. They've been tied up with their ongoing properties (the two biggest of which I'd easily consider their greatest productions by far, so no complaints here), and the last time they did something completely new ([email protected]), I was less than thrilled. This one just hits all the right notes for the kind of show it is, though, so any worries I might've had are pretty much out the window. Well, except that it will probably have to have a non-ending, since the manga is very long and still ongoing. And of course Shinbo still somehow directs everything the studio does.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

And Nao Touyama voices yet another blond, half-Japanese schoolgirl! Though this one's definitely more abrasive and violent than Karen could ever conceivably be.

Anyway, obviously Onodera has something to do with the locket, though given that the OP-used-as-ED-for-first-episode shows two keys, there's definitely the possibility of a red herring there. Also, HanaKana!

Other than that, lots of SHAFT flair, as expected. Looking forward to more.
              Still alive and lurking.

Avatar: Arisu from The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls, representing my state after each workday.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                This is Shaft, and that means those uber-crazy visuals are back.
                Normally, the Shaft visual flair doesn't bother me, but for some reason I found it somewhat distracting at times. It was needlessly there, taking away from the action or dialogue. That's not a good melding of visuals with sound.

Otherwise, that wasn't half bad. There is some promise here.
                Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Off to a decently interesting start. Happy that endcards are included with the stream on this one. Looked like a Koyama Hirokazu illustration for this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                    And of course Shinbo still somehow directs everything the studio does.
                    I don't think he actually "directs" everything the way we would usually think of the credit. Instead, I think it's more overseeing art direction to make sure everything is consistent with their typical style.

Other than the 3 cuts ripped from an episode of Zetsubou-sensei, this didn't really keep me interested, so I guess it isn't for me.
                    My animé & figure collections
                    Hummingbird
                    || Tweeterings
                    XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

The series is actually off to a pretty strong start in context of the premise. That being said I am kind of worried the show will suffer from being afraid to to reach point B. I mean it's pretty obvious what point B in this series will be in and if the show reaches it early enough we'll be able to see what happens between point B & point C, but I'm afraid the show will be too afraid to do so. Maybe I worry too much.

Comment

Not bad, a very solid start. I like the premise and the characters appear to be interesting thus far. I'm not a big fan of the locket being 3-D animated while the characters holding it are 2-D; it just looks so jarring and off-putting, and is a trend in anime of late I wish would stop. If they are going to use 3-D it should blend almost seamlessly with the other animation, not stick out like a sore thumb. Other than that minor gripe of mine, the animation is beautiful and eye-popping as is expected with SHAFT. There's definitely potential here for this to be a good story, so I'll be checking out more for sure.
                        My Anime List - My Collection
                        Avatar: Kirino Kousaka & Ruri "Kuro Neko" Gokou from the anime Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (OreImo).
                        Adroc Thurston - "Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything."
                        Anemone - "So many faces looking like they're thinking even though they're not. So disgusting."

Comment

It was a little strange to have the yakuza heir getting the full-Yuno reaction treatment, complete with "X" hair-tie. By now, you have to expect the triple-reaction head-pivot w/ a Shinbo show, but Hidamari Sketch art direction bleeding over into unrelated shows? Kind of strange.

Comment

Re: Nisekoi Discussion Thread

I thought episode 1 was good but not great. Interesting but not a favorite of the season, I can already tell this won't be buy-worthy material but I can see myself remembering to watch it.

Comment

Episode 2

Gorilla and bean sprout were meant to be together. Yeah, right.

And so, the two go on their first date together as a fake couple. Chitoge thinks pretty lowly about everything commoners experience wanting only the finest coffee and meats. And then Onodera shows up out of nowhere as the one person Ichijo wants to love. But then Chitoge outs her declaration of love and thus ends Ichijo's relationship with Onodera. So that pendant was given to him by Onodera, and she lied about it.

This show is really developing into something really nice here seeing how incompatible Chitoge and Ichijo are there on their first date. And then they dragged Onodera into this conflict of interest there. And then there is the omake stuff at the end that's nice to watch as well.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X