Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2013] Kill la Kill Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    At this school, it's kill or be killed and then some.

Airs: Friday, October 4

Studio: Trigger

ANN Entry
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Ryuuko Matoi carries a large weapon shaped like half of a pair of scissors. She's looking for the woman with the other half, who killed her father. Satsuki Kiryuuin, student council president of Honnouji Academy, is said to know the woman's identity, so Ryuuko transfers there. Those who arrive at the school receive a special "reverse uniform," and Satsuki has used that power to rule the school in fear.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Re: Kill la Kill Discussion Thread

This is the only show this fall that I'm truly anticipating, so I hope Imaishi and Trigger don't let me down.
    My animé & figure collections
    Hummingbird
    || Tweeterings
    XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Re: Kill la Kill Discussion Thread

Ohhh...delicious midriff.
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Epiaode 1

You are what you wear. At Honnouji Academy, that's the ironclad rule for students. It's got Nazis much like the student council, and Ryuko is in to deliver justice to her father's killer. There's boxers, and a hostage saved from becoming tempura, all while Ryuko dons a revealing powered-up uni and a half a scissor.

This show is just crazy on crack much like what Gurren Lagann is. Anything less is an understatement. So far, this show is looking great as it is Gurren Lagann as I remember it (at least as far as the beginning goes). The Fuhrer Satsuki is really out for blood for reasons yet to be explained.
        MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
        Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
        Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Epiaode 1

Well this show was everything I was hoping it would be and it delivered on all the awesomeness you would expect out of something done by Imashi. (Of course this means I'll have to cave in and pay whatever AoA charges for it. *siiiiiiggghhhh*). I am curious to see if it can keep up this level of momentum it's entire run but given the staff pulled it off with Gurren Lagann I have little doubt that'll be the case.
          "All's the world has anger issues" - Alphanega

My Anime Planet List

Comment

Oh, Imaishi. I've missed you so. Panty & Stocking was fun, but I've really been craving that Gurren Lagann feel for these six years, and this finally delivers on it. I'm not about to expect this to reach its levels of greatness from just one episode that did little more than establish that it would be returning to that style like nothing else while still maintaining as much originality as it needs to keep it appropriately fresh, even if simply adhering to this incredibly unique style would already set it apart from pretty much everything else.

For that purpose, this episode works well, although with so much to pack into the premiere, there's a lot not touched upon that I'll be looking forward to discovering throughout the rest of the series. If nothing else I'm certainly intrigued, and while the wonderfully enjoyable presentation is appeal enough, bringing back Nakashima for the writing has me optimistic for a deeper story than we'd expect from this first look. And at the very least, it will no doubt prove to be quite unlike any other story we've seen in a while.

And of course I couldn't be happier to not have to let go of Sawano's always fittingly epic compositions like I did the rest of Attack on Titan.

It's hard to say what to think of this show at this point, but it definitely has potential.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

So this is from the director of Gurren Lagann and Panty & Stocking?

I guess that explains the POINTLESS BOLD TEXT FOR STYLE AND IMPACT then, and the old style of animation, which strangely looks so crisp and fresh.

Now I have to say, I've not seen Gurren Lagann. I've not seen Panty & Stocking. So my exposure to the directors more recent works is lacking - but so far I can say I like the look of the show. I can see the random emphasis being a bit stupid very quickly, but for now it's just an easy way to remember character names.

As for the episode itself? I'm not quite sure what I can say really. It looks good, and I'll be sticking with it for a few more, at least.
              Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
              Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

First half of the episode was quite good and intense with really nice high climax action and good personalities. Once the main character got involved quality declined fast and came across feeling pretty boring. Which is rather unfortunate as all the action moments just came across feeling lifeless and just uninteresting. I think the anime would do well to focus more on the disciplinary committee members as there is huge potential if they all have wide variety of abilities and personalities, boxer was hilarious and painful nekkid end even.

Best characters so far are easily the teacher when he followed her and then got into his non eyeglasses form and what not....best character in this anime, Uzu and Houka.
                AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Re: Episode 1

It was just as crazy and over the top as expected. Really good as well. I'm looking forward to more.
                  Avatar: Pariya from Otoyomegatari.

Comment

I can easily say that I enjoyed every single second of that experience, and all my expectations were thoroughly met.

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                    You are what you wear. At Honnouji Academy, that's the ironclad rule for students.
                    Heh, I doubt it was on purpose, but that line took me back to Super Gals!
                    Hummingbird
                    || Tweeterings

Comment

Originally posted by EyeOfPain View Post
                      I can easily say that I enjoyed every single second of that experience, and all my expectations were thoroughly met.

You are what you wear. At Honnouji Academy, that's the ironclad rule for students.
                      Well Ryuuko does have a red streak.
                      Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
                      Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jun Kuga View Post
                        Originally posted by EyeOfPain View Post
                        Well Ryuuko does have a red streak.
                        :D

You know, I thought there was something familiar about her hair. I should have caught that, too; I just re-watched the first couple episodes a few weeks back.
                        Hummingbird
                        || Tweeterings

Comment

Oh wow, that was actually really awesome. Full of style and insanity, just how I like my anime. (Especially action anime.)

Chances of following this show just shot up like a rocket. As long as there's more insanity to go around, this could actually become one of the best shows of the season.
                          Last edited by stardf29; 10-04-2013, 02:54 AM.
                          Still alive and lurking.

Avatar: Arisu from The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls, representing my state after each workday.

Comment

Well this first episode has lots of style and flair and did not disappoint my expectations in the animation department one bit. However, I'm not sold on the story just yet, as the first episode largely avoided any substantive measure of storytelling. In contrast I felt Gurren Lagann got right into the back story of the main characters from the onset to hook me and make me empathize with their situation. Here not so much. My random thoughts while watching the episode: looks like TTGL in a school, power suits?, random Nazi like student council president?, wait WTF just happened?, who's that?, huh?, ooh nicely animated action!, waah a super powerful talking uniform from her murdered dad?, ha cool fight, yeah who killed her dad and left this half scissor ms. president and why should the viewers care?, roll credits. So, yeah, basically a lot was introduced but not much was explained, yet. Hopefully we get to know the protagonist and antagonists more come next episode. Overall I thought it was a very fun, albeit confusing, and entertaining first episode. Worst case scenario, this will be the flashiest most action packed and freshest take on a "high school anime" I've seen in a while.
                            My Anime List - My Collection
                            Avatar: Kirino Kousaka & Ruri "Kuro Neko" Gokou from the anime Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (OreImo).
                            Adroc Thurston - "Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything."
                            Anemone - "So many faces looking like they're thinking even though they're not. So disgusting."

Comment

Originally posted by sonic View Post
                              Well this first episode has lots of style and flair and did not disappoint my expectations in the animation department one bit. However, I'm not sold on the story just yet, as the first episode largely avoided any substantive measure of storytelling. In contrast I felt Gurren Lagann got right into the back story of the main characters from the onset to hook me and make me empathize with their situation. Here not so much. My random thoughts while watching the episode: looks like TTGL in a school, power suits?, random Nazi like student council president?, wait WTF just happened?, who's that?, huh?, ooh nicely animated action!, waah a super powerful talking uniform from her murdered dad?, ha cool fight, yeah who killed her dad and left this half scissor ms. president and why should the viewers care?, roll credits. So, yeah, basically a lot was introduced but not much was explained, yet. Hopefully we get to know the protagonist and antagonists more come next episode. Overall I thought it was a very fun, albeit confusing, and entertaining first episode. Worst case scenario, this will be the flashiest most action packed and freshest take on a "high school anime" I've seen in a while.
                              Fresh? Its essentially the same thing as Medaka Box.
                              AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X