Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2013] Date a Live discussion thread

Widgets Magazine
    When dealing with weapons of mass destruction...date them!

ANN page: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=14953
    Official site: http://date-a-live-anime.com/
    Air date: 4/5 on Tokyo MX TV. Also airing on Niconico.

Note
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Quote" to the post you want to reply to.
    Last edited by Hitsugi Amachi; 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM. Reason: added prefix
    Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Episode 1

Holy mass destruction and a 150 megadeaths!
    And now...panties? How do you go from millions killed to PANTSU?
    Flying imouto KICK!
    Tickle disease...made especially for cute imoutos.
    Don't forget your date with your imouto!
    Another spacequake? Hahaha...the city rivals the city in Evangelion in its prepareness. Taking a whole freaking train underground? OMG!
    And out of the spacequake comes a hot girl? "Are you going to kill me too?" Ahhhh...no. I can think of other things we can do though.
    And and guy wakes up and taken to sister...who is a space captain and has a complete personality change. I like the old imouto better!
    "Ah...tactic change...instead of killing the cute girls who kill millions of people...we want to you to date them!"
    Well...that ED is weird. Dating sim?

Well...this show will be amusing just for the sheer WTFness of it. Dating living weapons? And I thought Girls und Panzer had a ridiculous premise.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
      Well...this show will be amusing just for the sheer WTFness of it. Dating living weapons? And I thought Girls und Panzer had a ridiculous premise.
      I take it you haven't watched UPPOTE! have you?

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
        Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
        I take it you haven't watched UPPOTE! have you?
        Forgot about that one. I guess Uppote! does take the WTF crown, but Date a Live! is definitely up there.

Comment

Ok that was actually pretty great. Kotori is freaking awesome!

You know, an alternate title of the show could be "My Little Sister is the Commander of the Anti-Spirit Organization!?"
          VIVIDBLUE OPERATION!
          Vivid Impact!
          Vividred Operation

Comment

A few things annoyed me at the beginning but overall, that was really good.

Kotori was fantastic after she revealed her true self. Loved how she didn't give a shit about explaining that to Onii-chan (who she notably stopped calling "Onii-chan" after that).

And that ED was hilarious.

So this this show is very silly, but its playing it fairly straight and its working quite well.
            So there's this thing called Twitter

Comment

Are we sure the Kotori later in the episode isn't some twin? I'm having a hard time believing they are the same person to be honest. In any case, this is going to be a weird experience. That much is for sure.
              "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
              Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Originally posted by Fencedude View Post
                Ok that was actually pretty great. Kotori is freaking awesome!

You know, an alternate title of the show could be "My Little Sister is the Commander of the Anti-Spirit Organization!?"
                My Little Sister Can't Be So Commanding?

But yes. That most definitely was. I'm not quite sure what it was yet, but it was.

It started out all cutesy little sister with panty flashes happening every second, and then...

So, the moral of the series is "Make love, not war, or the world will implode"?
                Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
                Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

So if taken into context, the whole sweet little dumb sister act was just a game to her. That is actually funny even if I did have my suspicions. And to summarised what happen is that Spirits that can destroy the world needs to be killed, or alternatively be made into lovey-dovey normal high-school girl to save the world. And cleverly explained in the end credits too.

Originally posted by Fencedude View Post
                  It has to have "can't be" somewhere in the title.
                  Anime watcher from New Zealand.
                  My Cel Collection | My DVD Collection | MAL Profile

Comment

Episode 2

Little-sister route cleared! That was hilarious for an opening episode.

Now Shido is made to put what he's learn into practice. First target, the trainee teacher. Obviously he sucks so he's been given guidance by Reine on the appropriate lines to swoon a single 29 year old teacher - let's get married! Worked too well.

Next target: Origami. Despite it being awkward, he naturally manage to get her to agree to go on a date. And as a bonus, she gave him a bromide.

And next up the Spirit. I had to laugh during the whole moment as the Kotori's deckhands are composed of people with various relationship problems and they are suppose to give advise to Shido on how to win a maiden's heart. In the end, Shido kinda ditch half of the stupid responses given to him and go by his gut instincts. He wins her trust, gave her a name: Tohka (despite the fact he was using the current date to create her name). Also Tohka is a certified Tsundere, but does not like it when Shido is faking it.

I like it, so I'll continue watching it.
                    Anime watcher from New Zealand.
                    My Cel Collection | My DVD Collection | MAL Profile

Comment

- Some time ago, a space quake struck Eurasia.
                      - Kotori is sure persistent when it comes to waking up her brother. And Shido gives her a scare.
                      - No matter what, they are to meet at Danny's after school.
                      - Origami knows Shido for some reason even though they never met before.
                      - A space quake is about to strike. But Kotori is still at the diner, so Shido goes out.
                      - No Tohka, Shido is not the one killing you. It's Origami, the anti-spirit soldier.
                      - Shido wakes up on a ship, and Kotori is the commander. That explains why Origami knows him.
                      - Time for some training because he can tame those spirits somehow.
                      - Shido's training is with a dating sim. Not just any dating sim, but one customized for him.

This show looks interesting in the direction it is taking with the whole harem genre, but it doesn't help that Shido is very dense. At least this show is innovative with love targets as live weapons, and Shido is tasked with the duty to play the role of Keima Katsuragi and conquer the targets. I will give it an episode or two more, but things are not looking up. Kotori's tsundere antics are at least nice to watch.
                      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Carla, Fairy Tail
                      Watching: Dog Days", Urahara, Myriad Colors Phantom World, Koufuku Graffiti, Ushio and Tora, Toonami Stuff
                      Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
                      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 2

The "training" was rather painful to watch, though the Origami part was much better thanks to her reactions. And she just happened to have an autographed picture of herself on hand.

It was a lot better after that. The stuff with Princess/Touka was pretty good and the introduction of the support staff, their expertise/backstories and giving Shido dialouge options was pretty fun.

Touka's "baaka baaaaaka~"s were cute, especially the one near the end. Very much looking forward to their "date" next episode.

Also, I'm anxiously awaiting heterochromatic clock-eye girl (Kurumi, I think) to enter the picture, though I suspect she won't show up until the latter half.
                        So there's this thing called Twitter

Comment

Episode 3

Whoa...Tohka is...absolutely freaking ADORABLE! The ribbon twitching almost killed me. And her faces! Ribbon TWITCHING!
                          Wow...the lengths they town goes to to keep there date going.
                          Tohka wants sweet loving in a love hotel. Do it Shido!
                          Tohka wants stuffed bread toy? WTF is that thing?
                          And then...Shido gets shot and killed! Wait, how did he know it was coming?
                          Tohka's PISSED! You took away her love muffin and shot her stuffed bread. You die now.
                          And Shido is cured...maybe he has the Midnight Child? I hope they explain this later on.
                          And he comes flying out the sky? What?
                          Kissu! Nekkid Tohka. Wait, is she "disarmed" now? No more blowing crap up?
                          And of course, she shows up in his class!
                          Last edited by Library-chan; 04-18-2013, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

- Congratulations, Shido. You just cleared the little sister route.
                            - Next up, marry the homeroom teacher. The age difference was going to be a problem, so he scrams.
                            - Now, it's Origami. He was able to get a date from her, although it was awkward. And then the quake hits.
                            - Tohka has returned, and has bulldozed the school. And that means it's time Shido's training into use.
                            - First step, ask for her name first. Wait, she doesn't even have a name. Time for the name-a-bishoujo contest.
                            - Name of an ex-wife, rejected. A name that scores lots of points in Japanese Scrabble, denied. How about Toume?
                            - She totally hates it. How about Tohka, as in the day the two first met?
                            - The AST attacks, and Shido is asking Tohka for a date while in the barrier. Wait, what is that?
                            - Dammit, Origami! Things are going well until you made such a rash decision.
                            - Next day, Tohka agrees to date, and changes into the school uni.

This seems like a show that I am enjoying more than maybe I should given that it is a harem and they usually turn out bad. At least this one looks promising as it greatly resembles The World God Only Knows, with the mantra being "If you can't beat them, date them." In any case, I will go the full four before deciding for sure whether or not I want to continue it (and given how much I frown about Funi's streaming engine that this is a likely drop seeing that I have Karneval and RDG ahead of it).
                            MyAnimeList | Avatar: Carla, Fairy Tail
                            Watching: Dog Days", Urahara, Myriad Colors Phantom World, Koufuku Graffiti, Ushio and Tora, Toonami Stuff
                            Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
                            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 3

So, Princess/Tohka is basically a tsundere with a bread fetish? I can live with that.

I'm not sure what it is, but while I know on some level I don't think this show is all that good, it's managing to stay above the "Why am I watching this?" line. It's hovering close to the line, but it's on the right side of it for now.
                              Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                              Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                              Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X