Little Witch Academia Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Little Witch Academia Discussion Thread

For those who may have been waiting for an official version, it is now being streamed (with English subtitles) by Studio Trigger on Youtube. Going to have to check it out sometime later today.

EDIT: Changed the Youtube link to the new one.
    Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 04-19-2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Re: Little Witch Academia Discussion Thread

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
      For those who may have been waiting for an official version, it is now being streamed (with English subtitles) by Studio Trigger on Youtube. Going to have to check it out sometime later today.
      Ah, that's good because it means more destinies can be fulfilled. I'll have to remember to watch it later myself. At the very least I've decided to like the video just because.
      "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
      Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Re: Ova

Alright, Trigger's got it. More than Gainax has since these guys left. Obviously they can't compare to Khara's work with these simple little projects, but given some internal money beyond what they got for Anime Mirai, they've definitely got the potential. Of course, Gainax does need to find some impressive new staff and let them do an original series; that's how their masterpieces always come to be.

But yeah, after experimenting with American animation styles associated with children's material (in obvious contrast to the actual content of the project) and Williams Street productions, it's good to see these guys back to this style. It's not that I need them to use a traditional style, but the way this particular group animates when they're not going for as different as possible is a real joy to behold. The elegance and fluidity of the animation is really unmatched by anyone else, and they always nail it. I was glad to see that Yoshinari was in almost complete control of this one since, not only was his involvement in Gurren Lagann impressive even among the likes of Imaishi and the other talents working on it, his Parallel Works video was by far the best.

The content was light but very satisfying for a single episode's length. It doesn't need any more, but if the reception inspires more, I have confidence that these guys will be able to pull more off. Whatever they do, I'm now very excited for Trigger eventually managing to produce something more substantial in the future.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Watching again, I noticed megane teacher turns and pays attention in the early scene when Akko starts talking about Shiny Chariot. Heh... Also noticed one of the Youtube comments mentioned Diana showing up in the Shiny Chariot audience in the first scene, and sure enough, that looks like her. So adorable...

Comment

That was great. I really liked the animation style and there were a lot of great details. A full series would be great.

Comment

That was surprisingly really, really good. Sure, it may be in some ways just a Harry Potter knockoff, but it was extremely well executed and put together. It shows you what decent writing can accomplish even in a short span of time.

The visuals were quite stunning as well. I would love to see this expanded into a full series.
              Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
              Scratchy for Tama is angry.
              Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Delightful animation--that melange of elastic Western-animation facial styles (side characters named Hanna and Barbera; love it) with the lushness and action styling of the best of fantasy anime. Love to see animation from Japan bending some molds, especially when it's from people who have experience in international animation.

Almost feels like a love letter to other magic (and magic girl) stories. A lot of reminders of similar material--whether they were intentional or not--with just the central premise crossing mahou shoujo and Harry Potter. But Akko's first time on the broom felt a lot like the sequence out of the beginning of Magic Users Club, with Sae trying to fly, including even the BGM strings during the scene reminiscent of that earlier show's soundtrack. And couldn't help Chariot's skateboard style broom flying (and hell, much of the show's setting, and Akko's life journey) reminding me of Tweeny Witches. And of course the Tolkien references (mithril, silmarillion) during the treasure hunt. Probably more stuff I'll intuit rewatching. Or if it goes TV.
                Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                  Delightful animation--that melange of elastic Western-animation facial styles (side characters named Hanna and Barbera; love it) with the lushness and action styling of the best of fantasy anime. Love to see animation from Japan bending some molds, especially when it's from people who have experience in international animation.
                  This is definitely the team that's shown to consistently experiment with styles more commonly associated with Western animation, and when they blend it so beautifully with the fluid style they seemed to pick up while at Gainax, it's really a sight to behold.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                    Almost feels like a love letter to other magic (and magic girl) stories. A lot of reminders of similar material--whether they were intentional or not--with just the central premise crossing mahou shoujo and Harry Potter. But Akko's first time on the broom felt a lot like the sequence out of the beginning of Magic Users Club, with Sae trying to fly, including even the BGM strings during the scene reminiscent of that earlier show's soundtrack. And couldn't help Chariot's skateboard style broom flying (and hell, much of the show's setting, and Akko's life journey) reminding me of Tweeny Witches.
                    Yup, Tweeny Witches was the first thing that came to my mind when I watched the OVA. Despite trodding over material that has been worked many times, this OVA was done very well and was very enjoyable.

C.T.
                    You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                      Watching again, I noticed megane teacher turns and pays attention in the early scene when Akko starts talking about Shiny Chariot. Heh... Also noticed one of the Youtube comments mentioned Diana showing up in the Shiny Chariot audience in the first scene, and sure enough, that looks like her. So adorable...
                      Hmmm....I caught the part where the teacher stopped and watched when Akko was talking about Shiny Chariot in the dining commons, but I did not notice Diana being in the first scene. Little touches like those references just show how well the OVA was done.

C.T.
                      You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X