X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gundam Series for 2011

Widgets Magazine
    To be officially announced at a live event June 13th

Will most likely start airing in October. Other details are unknown.
    VIVIDBLUE OPERATION!
    Vivid Impact!
    Vividred Operation

Re: New Gundam Series for 2011

I was just thinking the other day that we should probably start hearing about the next Gundam series soon, so this doesn't come as a huge surprise. Though I was assuming a 2012 start date. In any case, I'm looking forward to more information on it, though I'm not expecting much from the June 13th event. Probably just the title and an image of some of the main characters.
    So there's this thing called Twitter

Comment

It's good to finally get another new Gundam TV series. Mech shows have been few and far between lately.
      My Anime Blog
      My Game Blog

Comment

I wonder which universe it'll fit in. Will it get another new timeline, or try to fit in to one of the current ones.
        Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
        Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

I'm still hoping that one day we get a "fantasy Gundam". It seems to be the only style of mech anime left for Gundam to try out, really. And it actually could probably work out well.
          Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
          Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BØY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BØY

Comment

Originally posted by Fudce View Post
            I wonder which universe it'll fit in. Will it get another new timeline, or try to fit in to one of the current ones.
            One wonders whether, with the positive reception that Unicorn has received, they might try to stick with the Universal Century again in some fashion. I have to say that I'm not necessarily getting all worked up about that as some UC purists tend to, since the alternate universes have resulted in some amazing content and the UC has resulted in some genuine crap on toast, but ultimately it comes down to whether or not Bandai Visual, Sunrise, and the chosen project staff are competent and have good ideas.

Oh well. Maybe they'll eventually add another installment to the My-**** universe. That's just like Gundam anyway, but with powers/creatures instead of robots, and unfortunately reduced franchise potential. My Otome = awesome apology for Gundam Seed.
            asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
            Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
            Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

I'm still pulling for a far future setting with a female protagonist and a war between earth and its long dispersed colonies.

And lots of lesbianism.

But I might be a tad biased.
              VIVIDBLUE OPERATION!
              Vivid Impact!
              Vividred Operation

Comment

Originally posted by Fencedude View Post
                I'm still pulling for a far future setting with a female protagonist and a war between earth and its long dispersed colonies.

And lots of lesbianism.

But I might be a tad biased.
                Yes, you might be.

Speaking of, I came across all that stuff when I was moving computer files around a couple of weeks ago. It's only been like three years since I last left it hanging just past where you left off. Maybe I should churn out a few more chapters?
                asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"

Comment

Gundam is such a huge franchise that it was inevitable that a new series is coming. I have only watched four Gundam series all the way through, so let's see what is coming.
                  MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
                  Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
                  Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
                  The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
                    One wonders whether, with the positive reception that Unicorn has received, they might try to stick with the Universal Century again in some fashion. I have to say that I'm not necessarily getting all worked up about that as some UC purists tend to, since the alternate universes have resulted in some amazing content and the UC has resulted in some genuine crap on toast, but ultimately it comes down to whether or not Bandai Visual, Sunrise, and the chosen project staff are competent and have good ideas.
                    I'd been pondering that myself. Ultimately, I think the expectations for a Gundam TV show are very different from an OAV series. The AU stuff simply seems way easier to merchandise, which, more than home-media sales, is the purpose of a TV show. It allows more room in terms of deviating from the existing mecha and character design styles, plus there's less potential overlap with things they're already selling. Undoubtedly the sponsors would be happier with something that doesn't suggest prior knowledge being a requirement too.

I'm think it's probably going to end up being another SEED-styled pseudo-First Gundam remake, but that's just me.

Oh well. Maybe they'll eventually add another installment to the My-**** universe. That's just like Gundam anyway, but with powers/creatures instead of robots, and unfortunately reduced franchise potential. My Otome = awesome apology for Gundam Seed.
                    They'd have to find another scriptwriter unable to actually write in a prompt fashion for them to have something to apologize for first!

Unfortunately, though, I think the ship has probably sailed on getting more HiME at this point. Aside from the time gap, the staffs later projects failing to shift anywhere near HiME-levels of merchandise and the fact that Sunrise has effectively deconstructed their own formula twice, I think they'd probably have to lure Hiroyuki Yoshino back from greener pastures before they do anything substantive with the franchise.

Still, by my reckoning, Sunrises upcoming projects are...

Sacred Seven (next season)
                    Kyokaisenjyo no Horizon (Light novel adaptation - Fall 11?)
                    New Code Geass (I presume this is still coming. Gone kind of quiet on it)

...and this new Gundam show. I can't help but notice that HiME director Masakazu Obara isn't attached to any of the above. Hirokazu Hisayuki hasn't done much aside from that VOTOMs OAV recently either, and one has to wonder if that was something of an experiment to judge how people would take his character designs in their classic anime shows.

All of which has me thinking wishfully, but, boy, a Gundam show with those guys helming would certainly be interesting to watch, if nothing else. Alas, giving the show to them would likely amount to another G-Gundam-esque Not-Exactly-Gundam show, and I don't think that's what Sunrise would be aiming for right now.

Comment

Originally posted by DiGiKerot View Post
                      I'd been pondering that myself. Ultimately, I think the expectations for a Gundam TV show are very different from an OAV series. The AU stuff simply seems way easier to merchandise, which, more than home-media sales, is the purpose of a TV show. It allows more room in terms of deviating from the existing mecha and character design styles, plus there's less potential overlap with things they're already selling. Undoubtedly the sponsors would be happier with something that doesn't suggest prior knowledge being a requirement too.
                      This could end up being another OVA, though. First Kenshin and now this; while more is always hopefully better, I'm not sure why the knee-jerk reaction to these sorts of things is that it's going to be a TV series. Unless I missed something.

Unfortunately, though, I think the ship has probably sailed on getting more HiME at this point. Aside from the time gap, the staffs later projects failing to shift anywhere near HiME-levels of merchandise and the fact that Sunrise has effectively deconstructed their own formula twice, I think they'd probably have to lure Hiroyuki Yoshino back from greener pastures before they do anything substantive with the franchise.

Still, by my reckoning, Sunrises upcoming projects are...

Sacred Seven (next season)
                      Kyokaisenjyo no Horizon (Light novel adaptation - Fall 11?)
                      New Code Geass (I presume this is still coming. Gone kind of quiet on it)

...and this new Gundam show. I can't help but notice that HiME director Masakazu Obara isn't attached to any of the above. Hirokazu Hisayuki hasn't done much aside from that VOTOMs OAV recently either, and one has to wonder if that was something of an experiment to judge how people would take his character designs in their classic anime shows.
                      I'd still take another My-**** OVA of some sort. And while S.ifr didn't have the exact same flavor as the rest of the franchise, I still enjoyed it thoroughly enough that I'd have no issue if they wanted to give Hisayuki the director's chair again.

All of which has me thinking wishfully, but, boy, a Gundam show with those guys helming would certainly be interesting to watch, if nothing else. Alas, giving the show to them would likely amount to another G-Gundam-esque Not-Exactly-Gundam show, and I don't think that's what Sunrise would be aiming for right now.
                      Well, they remade the original in Seed, they remade Zeta in Seed Destiny, and they remade the original plus Zeta plus Char's Counterattack in Wing which was then remade in 00. So, maybe one of the following:

1) Remake another AU series. Perhaps it's time for an update of Turn A that will also include elements from everything new since 1999.
                      2) Remake the original again, as you suggested, since that's kind of a safe bet, more or less.
                      3) Remake Seed and 00 as a new series that, somehow, ends up being an awful lot like another remake of the original anyway.
                      asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

Originally posted by LordGeo View Post
                        I'm still hoping that one day we get a "fantasy Gundam". It seems to be the only style of mech anime left for Gundam to try out, really. And it actually could probably work out well.
                        I think they called that "Escaflowne".

As for Gundam, man you got to wonder how much longer they can ring this franchise out, anyways?

Oh wait........, Pokemon, DBZ, Eva, FMA? On second thought, never mind!

J. A.
                        Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon
                        Just Finished: Battle Girls, Sailor Moon R-2, Sabagebu, Infinite Stratos 2
                        Current Backlog: 38 Series: 22 Bricks/Lite boxes, 16 BD's/Combos
                        Current Collection: 362 Series, plus: 70+ movies, 110+ OVA's, 30+ Singles

Comment

This could end up being another OVA, though. First Kenshin and now this; while more is always hopefully better, I'm not sure why the knee-jerk reaction to these sorts of things is that it's going to be a TV series. Unless I missed something.
                          I think it's just that they're already making one Gundam OAV series over a protracted period of time, and there's still at least a couple of episodes of that yet to come. It doesn't really make much sense for them to start another OAV series until that one is done.

On the other hand, going off their schedule for the last few years, it seems like it's about time for them to announce a new TV series. It's seeming odd for there to have not been a Gundam (or a big daytime Sunrise mecha show) on the telly for a while.

Saying that, did the announcement specifically say series? It could always be that Gundam SEED movie everyone has been presuming is dead...

I'd still take another My-**** OVA of some sort. And while S.ifr didn't have the exact same flavor as the rest of the franchise, I still enjoyed it thoroughly enough that I'd have no issue if they wanted to give Hisayuki the director's chair again.
                          Oh, so would I, and I think Hisayuki showed his chops as a director pretty well with S.ifr. Heck, I'd take a non-HiME show directed (and designed) by Hisayuki as well. I'm just not that optimistic that such a thing would happen at this stage.

Well, they remade the original in Seed, they remade Zeta in Seed Destiny, and they remade the original plus Zeta plus Char's Counterattack in Wing which was then remade in 00. So, maybe one of the following:

1) Remake another AU series. Perhaps it's time for an update of Turn A that will also include elements from everything new since 1999.
                          2) Remake the original again, as you suggested, since that's kind of a safe bet, more or less.
                          3) Remake Seed and 00 as a new series that, somehow, ends up being an awful lot like another remake of the original anyway.
                          4) They remake ZZGundam?

*Shrug* It's really kind of hard to know what they're going to do. Gundam's a pretty dry series for the most part - I'd have suggested that they might do something a little goofier if that wasn't Code Geass shtick. I think they'll go dry again, and that doesn't leave them the hugest amount of wiggle-room whilst remaining essentially Gundam. That 00 director Seiji Mizushima mentioned that, whilst he's not of the show himself, it does have a lot of 00 veterans on staff, doesn't make me think they'll go for anything massively different.

Comment

Saying that, did the announcement specifically say series? It could always be that Gundam SEED movie everyone has been presuming is dead...
                            Yeah, Chiaki Morosawa must be out of the hospital by now. It's only been, what, a couple of years since that update as to why there was a delay?

*Shrug* It's really kind of hard to know what they're going to do. Gundam's a pretty dry series for the most part - I'd have suggested that they might do something a little goofier if that wasn't Code Geass shtick. I think they'll go dry again, and that doesn't leave them the hugest amount of wiggle-room whilst remaining essentially Gundam. That 00 director Seiji Mizushima mentioned that, whilst he's not of the show himself, it does have a lot of 00 veterans on staff, doesn't make me think they'll go for anything massively different.
                            It's too bad that they're unlikely to promote from within to get someone to take the reins of a Gundam franchise installment, for better or worse, so we'll have to see who they bring in. That being said, while Gundam 00 in its own way was trying to be its own thing in a number of ways towards the beginning, and even with folks like Mizushima and Yosuke Kuroda at the helm, by the second half it ended up falling pretty much into the tried-and-true formula in a number of ways anyway. That's one reason I'd be more interested in another OVA; Furuhashi's done some interesting things with Unicorn thus far, and he'll be done and gone before there's time for faceless executives and entrenched producers start trying to beat him into submission.

Maybe they could get Yasuhiro Irie? Or, having the Besame Mucho trio helm a Gundam series would also be interesting, but Sunrise and BV would never go for it, unless they were going to remake Turn A Gundam after all. :D
                            asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

It's too bad that they're unlikely to promote from within to get someone to take the reins of a Gundam franchise installment, for better or worse, so we'll have to see who they bring in.
                              I don't know, they did promote Fukuda from within to direct SEED, and whilst we all know how much of a mess Destiny was by the time in finished, it still made a lot of people a lot of money. It's just that there's not really many Sunrise regulars that are already at the level of Director that they could hand the show off to. There's Obara, and I'm pretty sure Kazuyoshi Katayama is still at Sunrise (King of Thorn was just last year). Neither really seem quite high-profile enough, though, and as I previously said, Obara stylistically is too goofy and tongue-in-cheek for Gundam. Then again, I suppose I wouldn't have pegged Fukuda as a Gundam guy from Cyber Formula or Dendoh.

Not that there's any likely high-profile directors from outside of Sunrise regulars floating around at the moment anyway (Akiyuki Shinbo directing Gundam? Nah....), particularly when it comes to making daytime anime. Unless they pull Goro Taniguchi out of retirement. That'd be all kinds of hilarious.

But, who knows, I would never have expected the staff they pulled together for 00. Maybe Sunrise will be feeling adventurous again? Or maybe they'll get Tomino

I do hear Yamakan is looking for work.

Furuhashi's done some interesting things with Unicorn thus far, and he'll be done and gone before there's time for faceless executives and entrenched producers start trying to beat him into submission.
                              I really need to get around to watching those Unicorn disks.

Maybe they could get Yasuhiro Irie?
                              I see what you did there

Or, having the Besame Mucho trio helm a Gundam series would also be interesting, but Sunrise and BV would never go for it, unless they were going to remake Turn A Gundam after all. :D
                              Funnily enough, I was at a Q&A last year where Koji Masanari said his next show was likely to be a mecha series...

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X