Does anime just kinda suck now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chacranajxy
    started a topic Does anime just kinda suck now?

Does anime just kinda suck now?

I've noticed over the last few years that I'm watching less anime than I ever have since my addiction started. The last new anime I watched and liked was that Garden of Sinners blu ray set, and before that? I honestly cannot even remember the last series that I was really into. I think back to 2003 or so when things were really starting to pick up in the industry, and there always seemed to be something interesting being released in R1 land, and cool stuff was actually being produced over in Japan. Now? The current series running in Japan seem not just like more of the same, but worse and less sophisticated than before. Hell, I can't even seem to find a good Shonen Jump anime now that Bleach and Naruto have reached insane levels of filler. And I am seriously sick of all this slice of life, moe bullshit. I know that more mature fare doesn't typically do as well in Japan, but would it kill studios to work on another show like Monster or Ghost in the Shell or even Death Note?

I dunno... maybe it's the combination of shitty shows over in Japan and the fact that we still can't get Monster or Hellsing Ultimate in the US that's bugging me... but the industry seems to me like a complete mess right now.

Or maybe I'm crazy?

• Gatts
    replied
    Re: Does anime just kinda suck now?

Originally posted by Tenshi Hinanai View Post
    Yes, now someone is going to tell me about how much my analogy sucks and that Pizza Hut does indeed serve hamburgers. If you have a better analogy on the same lines, then go ahead and come up with it.
    You analogy sucks because they never served hamburgers.

A better analogy in the food service industry would be:
    "McDonalds sucks now because they no longer have the McDLT. I want my hot side hot and my cold side cold. Doesn't McDonalds know that everyone likes their hot side hot?!"

The person above is complaining about the McDLT no longer existing; not realizing that the Big N' Tasty is the exact same burger, just marketed in a different manner.

Anime has changed how it markets it's series. The premise may be the same and the plot just as complex, but instead of a predominantly male cast you have a predominantly female cast. Even if you have a strong predominantly male cast, they will generally throw in a female for marketing purposes. Take Macross Frontier for example. They split Minmei across two characters to appeal to two different markets so they could sell twice the merchandise.

Leave a comment:

• Momoka Kibi
    replied

Originally posted by Damius View Post
    Maybe, your favorite genre is less popular in Japan today, but that doesn't means it sucks.
    I think one way to look at it is this. Imagine going into Pizza Hut and deciding their food sucks not because of how well/poorly they make pizza, but because they're not serving Hamburgers.

Yes, now someone is going to tell me about how much my analogy sucks and that Pizza Hut does indeed serve hamburgers. If you have a better analogy on the same lines, then go ahead and come up with it.

In any case, one other thing that helps me keep enjoying things is that I look at it as accumulation rather than competition. It's not about whether the current season surpasses previous seasons. It's about deciding which shows of the current season to add to the pool of shows to enjoy. Something like that anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Shin Seikatsu
    replied

Well, to answer the question I have to disagree. Not only because I really like the anime that I watch this season and the previous seasons, but also because I never agreed to use the word "suck" when it's something you personally don't like. Maybe, your favorite genre is less popular in Japan today, but that doesn't means it sucks.

Leave a comment:

• Draneor
    replied

Originally posted by Gatts View Post
    Or do you mean anime that's more based off an adaptation than the original work like Black Rock Shooter, Shuffle, or Higurashi no Naku Koro ni?
    This, but I'm pretty sure both Shuffle and Higurashi went back to the original rather than a middle adaptation with substantial revisions to the original story like T3 did. The point was more that while many light novels get anime adaptions the source for the anime is still almost always the novel (like Haruhi).

Originally posted by Gatts View Post
    You can throw in the recent comic book anime too. Witchblade, Wolverine, Ironman, X-men, etc. None of those are adapted from the original source, but instead on "series resets" or original adaptations.
    I don't follow comics, but this doesn't surprise me considering how many decades these have been published.
    Last edited by Draneor; 05-13-2011, 04:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• superdry
    replied

This type of question always pops up among western fans.

The stuff that some westerners complain about nowadays sell well in Japan. The interesting question would be to ask older Japanese fans if they think modern anime sucks now.

Leave a comment:

• Gatts
    replied

Originally posted by Draneor View Post
    Tears to Tiara was Game (PC) -> Game (PS3) --> Anime. Other than that, I can't think of an anime that was adapted from the middle work--usually the anime goes back to the original. Other than spinoffs, that is.
    Do you mean series that start in the middle of an ongoing plot? Things like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or Berserk for example. Or do you mean anime that's more based off an adaptation than the original work like Black Rock Shooter, Shuffle, or Higurashi no Naku Koro ni?

Either way there are a lot more examples than one.

Most Fighting Game adaptations start in the middle of the series as well. Street Fighter II the Animation, Tekken the Animation, Art of Fighting the animation, etc although I'm sure you aren't counting those. You can throw in the recent comic book anime too. Witchblade, Wolverine, Ironman, X-men, etc. None of those are adapted from the original source, but instead on "series resets" or original adaptations.

Leave a comment:

• Draneor
    replied

Tears to Tiara was Game (PC) -> Game (PS3) --> Anime. Other than that, I can't think of an anime that was adapted from the middle work--usually the anime goes back to the original. Other than spinoffs, that is.

Leave a comment:

• Fencedude
    replied

Not to mention that very rarely are Novel -> Manga -> Anime adaptions actually a two tier adaption. What it mostly is is that both the manga and the anime are adaptions of the novel, and can frequently be fairly different. OreImo's an example of this. Or there's the Index series, which received a manga sidestory, an anime adaption of the novels, and then an anime adaption of the manga sidestory.

Leave a comment:

• Gatts
    replied

Originally posted by StanS View Post
    Novel Manga Anime
    Okay, the things that you'll want to look out for:

Hidan no Aria
    Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
    Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian
    Blood-C (Depends on how far back you want to take the Blood Franchise)
    Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
    Fractale (actually the novel came out after the manga now that I double check, but I'm too lazy to remove it)
    Gosick
    Infinite Stratos
    Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi
    Kami-sama no Memo-cho
    Kämpfer
    Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
    Moshidora
    Queen's Blade (RPG, Novel, Manga, Anime)

Also you are stating that Novel Manga Anime is your preferred format, then you list many series that are Manga --> Anime without a novel to start the list. So you're really going to have to clarify what you mean. There are a ton of manga to anime products out now. You list DBZ, but omit Bleach, One Piece, Detective Conan, Naruto, Gin Tama, Fairy Tale, Doraemon, Level E (yes, this was Shonen Jump), Yu-Gi-Oh!, Inu Yasha, and a whole ton of Shonen Jump/Shonen Ace/ Shonen Sunday series that have aired in the past couple of years.

So is this a matter of "only things I like personally count" or "I've never heard of these series, so of course they don't exist." Saying something like (I'm going to paraphrase) "if only anime companies made anime based off of manga and novels they would make money" just points out that you haven't been paying attention to the anime industry at all.

Leave a comment:

• Fencedude
    replied

Novel Manga Anime
    Why.

Name examples.

Leave a comment:

• StanS
    replied

Novel Manga Anime

Slayers, Vampire Hunter D and others. a novel means a well thought out story. Slayers has all the spells work logicly (Could be that Hajima Kanzaka was a role playing gamer). I see many style as a story board format with angles, close-ups and segments of a scene that come together in a larger picture. Mang being more dinamic in story detales makes it easier for an anime director to work with, IMHO, in my humble opinion. It also means that each format can elaberate on different sections of a story. I often get the manga to an anime to see how much more about the characters I can learn than just the anime or manga alone. If they do not match, it is interesting to campare the two or three formats.

Your Under Arrest, DBZ Oh My Goddess, Lupon all were manga then anime if I am right.
    Last edited by StanS; 05-12-2011, 08:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gatts
    replied

I would think it was, will this novel work as an anime? Let's try it out as a manga first?

Yes Prince Phil came from a novel but that was almost 20 years ago for the first Slayers novel. thew question is, is anime today making great shows as they did in the past? That is the question in the heading.
    I'm a bit confused. Are you arguing that anime today isn't as good as anime from the past or are you arguing that anime today isn't adapted from light novels so it isn't as good as older anime that was adapted from light novels?

If an anime is adapted from a light novel, does that automatically make it a good anime? Does a good anime require a novelization? I'm trying to keep track with your train of thought here so forgive me if I'm confusing a simple issue.

Let me give some examples.

Juuni Kokki aka Twelve Kingdoms was a Novel that was directly adapted to an anime.
    Nishi no Yoki Majo aka Good Witch of the West was a Novel that was converted to a manga and then made an Anime.
    Escaflowne was a shonen manga that was adapted to an anime that was adapted to a shoujo manga that eventual was made into a novel.
    Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin aka Occult Academy was an anime that was adapted to a manga.
    Karin aka Chibi Vampire was a manga that had side story novels created that was adapted to an anime.
    Seiken no Blacksmith aka The Sacred Blacksmith was a novel that became a manga that was adapted to an anime.

So which format is the ideal format for making a great anime in your opinion?

Anime Novel Manga
    Anime Manga Novel
    Anime Novel
    Anime Manga
    Manga Anime Novel
    Manga Novel Anime
    Manga Anime
    Manga Novel
    Novel Manga Anime
    Novel Anime Manga
    Novel Anime
    Novel Manga

This is all without throwing in game to anime/manga/novel conversions (Popotan), side story game to anime/manga/novel conversions (Lyrical Nanoha), manga/anime/live action (Initial D), or manga/anime/K-drama/J-move (Hana Yori Dango) and a whole host of other anime creation orders, processes and formats.

I'm just curious if you could answer what your ideal order/format actually is.

Leave a comment:

• MelancholicMariya
    replied

thew question is, is anime today making great shows as they did in the past? That is the question in the heading.
    That's an opinion, though. I will argue yes it does. In terms of animation, story and variety it's better now than back then. Also your "try it as a manga first" option isn't always an option. Just because you like something doesn't really mean everyone else will have the same opinion as you do. I kind of hate older anime, mostly the medieval settings, stuff like SLAYERS and Lodoss War (I don't know if that's the spelling), though I do like stuff like Gunbuster, Evangelion and Gundam.

Leave a comment:

• Draneor
    replied

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
    If a creator or company is going to launch an original anime, or original manga, or game, or novel, or line of figures, they do. If they're thinking about a staged rollout of multiple media formats for a new story or potential franchise, they do.
    Hmm. Agreeing to agree is difficult.

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
    But, for example, nobody was going to think, "hey, you know what would be a great anime series? A story about economics and a feisty, adorable, occasionally naked wolf girl," then think, "oh, but it might not do so well, so let's get someone to write it as a novel first, and then wait months to see if anything good happens before we even consider animating it, or doing a manga adaptation, or releasing lots of naked Holo figures."
    I guess it's just more I think of something like Spice and Wolf as "this is a great story," regardless of the medium. There are a lot of terrible adaptions out there (novel -> anime -> game in particular tends to produce really bad ones), and sometimes adaptions improve the original (Haruhi--original novels were good but not to the level of the first anime). Heck, I can attest that even bad adaptions have driven me to other mediums at times. I suppose it comes down to how much you believe the medium is the message (sorry Postman).

For me, it's the characters, the art, and the story that make a franchise great. But like you said, it really comes down to whatever the creator-team wants to do first.

Leave a comment:

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Working...
X