Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anime just kinda suck now?

Novel Manga Anime

Slayers, Vampire Hunter D and others. a novel means a well thought out story. Slayers has all the spells work logicly (Could be that Hajima Kanzaka was a role playing gamer). I see many style as a story board format with angles, close-ups and segments of a scene that come together in a larger picture. Mang being more dinamic in story detales makes it easier for an anime director to work with, IMHO, in my humble opinion. It also means that each format can elaberate on different sections of a story. I often get the manga to an anime to see how much more about the characters I can learn than just the anime or manga alone. If they do not match, it is interesting to campare the two or three formats.

Your Under Arrest, DBZ Oh My Goddess, Lupon all were manga then anime if I am right.
    Last edited by StanS; 05-12-2011, 08:33 PM.
    Sincerely: StanS
    Anigames

Comment

Originally posted by StanS View Post
      Novel Manga Anime
      Why.

Name examples.
      VIVIDBLUE OPERATION!
      Vivid Impact!
      Vividred Operation

Comment

Originally posted by StanS View Post
        Novel Manga Anime
        Okay, the things that you'll want to look out for:

Hidan no Aria
        Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
        Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian
        Blood-C (Depends on how far back you want to take the Blood Franchise)
        Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
        Fractale (actually the novel came out after the manga now that I double check, but I'm too lazy to remove it)
        Gosick
        Infinite Stratos
        Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi
        Kami-sama no Memo-cho
        Kämpfer
        Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
        Moshidora
        Queen's Blade (RPG, Novel, Manga, Anime)

Also you are stating that Novel Manga Anime is your preferred format, then you list many series that are Manga --> Anime without a novel to start the list. So you're really going to have to clarify what you mean. There are a ton of manga to anime products out now. You list DBZ, but omit Bleach, One Piece, Detective Conan, Naruto, Gin Tama, Fairy Tale, Doraemon, Level E (yes, this was Shonen Jump), Yu-Gi-Oh!, Inu Yasha, and a whole ton of Shonen Jump/Shonen Ace/ Shonen Sunday series that have aired in the past couple of years.

So is this a matter of "only things I like personally count" or "I've never heard of these series, so of course they don't exist." Saying something like (I'm going to paraphrase) "if only anime companies made anime based off of manga and novels they would make money" just points out that you haven't been paying attention to the anime industry at all.
        Figure Enthusiast
        Moderator: Comics, Movies, General Anime, Off-topic, Gaming Goodness

Comment

Not to mention that very rarely are Novel -> Manga -> Anime adaptions actually a two tier adaption. What it mostly is is that both the manga and the anime are adaptions of the novel, and can frequently be fairly different. OreImo's an example of this. Or there's the Index series, which received a manga sidestory, an anime adaption of the novels, and then an anime adaption of the manga sidestory.
          VIVIDBLUE OPERATION!
          Vivid Impact!
          Vividred Operation

Comment

Tears to Tiara was Game (PC) -> Game (PS3) --> Anime. Other than that, I can't think of an anime that was adapted from the middle work--usually the anime goes back to the original. Other than spinoffs, that is.
            Clannad is Life, Da Capo is Pure Love, Higurashi is Ethics, & Tori no Uta is the National Anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by Draneor View Post
              Tears to Tiara was Game (PC) -> Game (PS3) --> Anime. Other than that, I can't think of an anime that was adapted from the middle work--usually the anime goes back to the original. Other than spinoffs, that is.
              Do you mean series that start in the middle of an ongoing plot? Things like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or Berserk for example. Or do you mean anime that's more based off an adaptation than the original work like Black Rock Shooter, Shuffle, or Higurashi no Naku Koro ni?

Either way there are a lot more examples than one.

Most Fighting Game adaptations start in the middle of the series as well. Street Fighter II the Animation, Tekken the Animation, Art of Fighting the animation, etc although I'm sure you aren't counting those. You can throw in the recent comic book anime too. Witchblade, Wolverine, Ironman, X-men, etc. None of those are adapted from the original source, but instead on "series resets" or original adaptations.
              Figure Enthusiast

Comment

This type of question always pops up among western fans.

The stuff that some westerners complain about nowadays sell well in Japan. The interesting question would be to ask older Japanese fans if they think modern anime sucks now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatts View Post
                  Or do you mean anime that's more based off an adaptation than the original work like Black Rock Shooter, Shuffle, or Higurashi no Naku Koro ni?
                  This, but I'm pretty sure both Shuffle and Higurashi went back to the original rather than a middle adaptation with substantial revisions to the original story like T3 did. The point was more that while many light novels get anime adaptions the source for the anime is still almost always the novel (like Haruhi).

Originally posted by Gatts View Post
                  You can throw in the recent comic book anime too. Witchblade, Wolverine, Ironman, X-men, etc. None of those are adapted from the original source, but instead on "series resets" or original adaptations.
                  I don't follow comics, but this doesn't surprise me considering how many decades these have been published.
                  Last edited by Draneor; 05-13-2011, 04:59 AM.
                  Clannad is Life, Da Capo is Pure Love, Higurashi is Ethics, & Tori no Uta is the National Anthem.

Comment

Well, to answer the question I have to disagree. Not only because I really like the anime that I watch this season and the previous seasons, but also because I never agreed to use the word "suck" when it's something you personally don't like. Maybe, your favorite genre is less popular in Japan today, but that doesn't means it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Damius View Post
                      Maybe, your favorite genre is less popular in Japan today, but that doesn't means it sucks.
                      I think one way to look at it is this. Imagine going into Pizza Hut and deciding their food sucks not because of how well/poorly they make pizza, but because they're not serving Hamburgers.

Yes, now someone is going to tell me about how much my analogy sucks and that Pizza Hut does indeed serve hamburgers. If you have a better analogy on the same lines, then go ahead and come up with it.

In any case, one other thing that helps me keep enjoying things is that I look at it as accumulation rather than competition. It's not about whether the current season surpasses previous seasons. It's about deciding which shows of the current season to add to the pool of shows to enjoy. Something like that anyway.
                      "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
                      Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Originally posted by Tenshi Hinanai View Post
                        Yes, now someone is going to tell me about how much my analogy sucks and that Pizza Hut does indeed serve hamburgers. If you have a better analogy on the same lines, then go ahead and come up with it.
                        You analogy sucks because they never served hamburgers.

A better analogy in the food service industry would be:
                        "McDonalds sucks now because they no longer have the McDLT. I want my hot side hot and my cold side cold. Doesn't McDonalds know that everyone likes their hot side hot?!"

The person above is complaining about the McDLT no longer existing; not realizing that the Big N' Tasty is the exact same burger, just marketed in a different manner.

Anime has changed how it markets it's series. The premise may be the same and the plot just as complex, but instead of a predominantly male cast you have a predominantly female cast. Even if you have a strong predominantly male cast, they will generally throw in a female for marketing purposes. Take Macross Frontier for example. They split Minmei across two characters to appeal to two different markets so they could sell twice the merchandise.
                        Figure Enthusiast

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine
                        Working...
                        X