Widgets Magazine

Black Lagoon: Seasons 1 & 2 + OVA Collection (Classics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [US BD] Black Lagoon: Seasons 1 & 2 + OVA Collection (Classics)

Widgets Magazine

Black Lagoon: Seasons 1 & 2 + OVA Collection (Blu-ray) (Classics) due out on 6/4/19.
    Special Features: 'The Crew' Behind the Scenes of English Version Production, CD Commercial (Japan only), Promotional Videos, Japanese Openings, Textless Songs, U.S. Trailer
    Last edited by WTK; 05-13-2019, 10:28 PM.

The Classics banner strikes again! Otherwise the cover looks especially sharp.
    Last edited by bearcounty; 05-14-2019, 01:23 PM.
    DVDaf :Collection

Comment

God this cover would be great if it weren't for that stupid ass banner. Funimation's art department is just bafflingly incompetent at times.
      Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

While this show is a Classic artistically the "Essentials" banner would have fit this release better similar to Deadman Wonderland.

Let's not beat them up about the "Classics" banner too much here folks. Sure it doesn't help the cover art but this is 100% better than them having a "Blu-Ray + Digital" & "Classics" banner. We know when a show gets sent to "Classics" or "Essentials" land they will get the dreaded banner so we should give them some praise when they use only 1 banner.

For me I plan on waiting until Right Stuf has their holiday sale and grab this since I'm just upgrading my Geneon DVDs to Blu-Rays. I'll fix this in a way so the four Blu-Rays are spread across the two Geneon steelbooks and I'll keep the Geneon extras DVD with the Funi Blu-Rays lol.
        Last edited by zidanetribal2000; 03-15-2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zidanetribal2000 View Post
          While this show is a Classic artistically the "Essentials" banner would have fit this release better similar to Deadman Wonderland.

Let's not beat them up about the "Classics" banner too much here folks. Sure it doesn't help the cover art but this is 100% better than them having a "Blu-Ray + Digital" & "Classics" banner. We know when a show gets sent to "Classics" or "Essentials" land they will get the dreaded banner so we should give them some praise when they use only 1 banner.

For me I plan on waiting until Right Stuf has their holiday sale and grab this since I'm just upgrading my Geneon DVDs to Blu-Rays. I'll fix this in a way so the four Blu-Rays are spread across the two Geneon steelbooks and I'll keep the Geneon extras DVD with the Funi Blu-Rays lol.
          I agree that it's better than others for sure, but the fact is I would have probably bought this if it weren't for that banner. It's new art that hasn't been used for this series before in R1, and it's an improvement shelf space wise too. My slipcover on the original Black Lagoon Blu-ray release is also in rough shape and came to me a bit bent.

If a company is willingly making its product worse to drive away somebody who has been buying their products since Captain Ginyu - Assault on DVD, then that's a serious problem. If I'm in the minority and it's in fact increasing sales, then I guess these releases just aren't meant for me and I'm a dying breed, and that's fine too. But I'm willing to double dip for packaging improvements, and they're actively trying to make sure I don't do that. It's odd behavior to try to actively make artwork (in an art-driven medium) bad.
          Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

Originally posted by Mach Rider View Post

I agree that it's better than others for sure, but the fact is I would have probably bought this if it weren't for that banner. It's new art that hasn't been used for this series before in R1, and it's an improvement shelf space wise too. My slipcover on the original Black Lagoon Blu-ray release is also in rough shape and came to me a bit bent.

If a company is willingly making its product worse to drive away somebody who has been buying their products since Captain Ginyu - Assault on DVD, then that's a serious problem. If I'm in the minority and it's in fact increasing sales, then I guess these releases just aren't meant for me and I'm a dying breed, and that's fine too. But I'm willing to double dip for packaging improvements, and they're actively trying to make sure I don't do that. It's odd behavior to try to actively make artwork (in an art-driven medium) bad.
            I totally understand your point there and agree with it however this is one of those dinosaur marketing tactics that for Funi still works. Simply re-issuing a catalog title with a new SKU won't get it back on the shelf in B&M stores but a 2nd or 5th re-release under a "budget" line will in their case.

As long as Best Buy, FYE, Walmart, etc stock these budget lines Funi will make them. When comparing the budget lines themselves I don't take the "Blu-Ray + [insert extra item(s) here]" banner into account because its such a common place even with major studios. I think when a studio in general leaves this banner out its a bonus.

However when looking back at the DVD era of budget lines from Funi, ADV, Bandai and Geneon and comparing them to Funi's new "Classics"/"Essentials" lines there is a huge improvement. In the DVD era the budget banners were bigger and always affected the spine to the point you knew without a doubt the release was some sort of budget re-release. The worst offenders before Funi's abomination with the "Anime Classics" and "S.A.V.E." lines had to be ADV's "Anime Essentials" and Pioneer/Geneon's "Signature Series" releases. I think Funi made their budget releases better by ditching the old "Anime Classics" and "S.A.V.E." lines and replacing them with the "Classics" and "Essentials" lines.

However in a case like this they could have re-released Black Lagoon: Complete Series + OVA without any "Classics" or "Essentials" branding at the same price since the last time we had a release like this was a limited edition premium set. Then later down the road re-release it as a "Classic".

Since this is the first time that the US has seen this cover art on a home video release I'm hoping this release has a reversible cover with series title on spine that would remove the "Classics" banner from the front.

Comment

It is baffling to see them shuffle between just having the banner of the Blu-ray case, having that and an Essentials/Classics banner, having the first and the Blu-ray + Digital banner, or having all three. And apparently Classics still exists, even though it seems like we passed plenty of titles that would've ended up on it but ended up on Essentials when everything was. Which I guess means the show did well, but there's almost no situation where the Classics banner doesn't look worse than the Essentials one, especially up against any kind of Blu-ray banner(s).

On the bright side, this is a nice piece of art and a complete release of every piece of this anime. If I didn't get their special edition in its ammo case box for cheap from a holiday sale a few years ago, I'd probably consider this release.

Also, I saw the Anime Classics line looked pretty classy. Maybe I'm in the majority, but it was a lot more understated than any of these. Shame about the spines, though. And while S.A.V.E. was obviously the most egregious, it seemed like pretty much all of those had reversible covers after a certain point, which does not seem to be the case for most of these new re-releases.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Good enough for me.

Comment

Back cover added to the first post.

Comment

Art looks great and the re-release banners never really bothered me. Especially for the rock bottom collections.

Magical Girl Worshippers Unlimited - Dedicated to love, justice, frilly outfits, stunning transformations, cute talking furry mascots, and a new monster each and every week!

Gybano

Comment

Pretty nice looking release this is, banners notwithstanding.
                      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
                      Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
                      Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
                      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Looks great. With all the whining you'd think there was a fat S.A.V.E. label on the cover.
                        MAL Profile

Comment

Looks fine, although I already have FUNi's original sets, so I have no reason to get this.
                          Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

This one actually looks really good imo. The purple classics banner matches the cover well. Really nice choice of cover there too. Already double dipped on this show already (SE and PE) so I'll be skipping this one.
                            My Anime List
                            Anime DVD/BD Collection

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...
                            X